Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Is everything simultaneously on fire but still raw? Did the cat get on the table and chew on the ham and poo poo in the brussel sprouts? Did your aunt who promised to bring a side dish instead bring a personal wine box and chineese takeout? Did everything go flawlessly and you've got an X-mas spread out of a Dickens novel? Let's pop it all here. Happy Birthday, Jesus man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Well, my mother died on Christmas day three years ago, so I guess the festivities will never be actually festive.at least not until my father dies. But yeah, I'm guessing the most painful christmasses are behind us now at some level.
This year my youngest brother will be hosting the first Christmas day with a tapas dinner, starting at 15 pm. I'm actually looking forward to it. And yes, booze will be had. Ha!

After the first day with all of the family on my end, there's second Christmas day. I'm Dutch, so that is a legitimate holiday. Anyway the family of the BF is in America, so that will be a Christmas dinner between the two of us. So far we have an "ezeltje", which means donkey when you litterally translate it, but it is a part of the loin region of a cow as far as I know. Potato gratin and a stir fry of brussels sprouts, sweet pointed peppers and chestnuts will most likely be had with that, but I wouldnt mind a solid idea for an appetizer!!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

paraquat posted:

Anyway the family of the BF is in America, so that will be a Christmas dinner between the two of us. So far we have an "ezeltje", which means donkey when you litterally translate it, but it is a part of the loin region of a cow as far as I know. Potato gratin and a stir fry of brussels sprouts, sweet pointed peppers and chestnuts will most likely be had with that, but I wouldnt mind a solid idea for an appetizer!!

Like a roast beef tenderloin, potato gratin, sprouts and peppers? A quick dish of oven green beans wouldn't go astray. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/229349/roasted-green-beans/

Condolences about your mom :(

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Suspect Bucket posted:

Like a roast beef tenderloin, potato gratin, sprouts and peppers? A quick dish of oven green beans wouldn't go astray. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/229349/roasted-green-beans/

Condolences about your mom :(

Thanks, totally not recommending duplication of that, btw ;-)

The green beans are actually a great idea, I'm a fan and the linked recipe sounds great!

Happy Holidays!

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I have a raging infection that is being treated by 1000mg of amoxicillin every 8 hours from Dec 23 till Jan 13th then I get surgery.

On the plus side nothing hurts anymore!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

504 posted:

I have a raging infection that is being treated by 1000mg of amoxicillin every 8 hours from Dec 23 till Jan 13th then I get surgery.

On the plus side nothing hurts anymore!

Wow. I had the flu Christmas day three years ago, that sucked. Feel better!

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.
I accidentally made inedibly salty stuffing because I used broth from a can without noticing the ridiculous sodium content! So I added an extra onion, celery, and two apples and it came out mostly OK. This will be my last year making stuffing from a bag though, mark my words!

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!
I'd consider this a success given that I only poisoned one person.

(I was not told about the shellfish allergy at any time whatsoever before dinner)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

ookuwagata posted:

I'd consider this a success given that I only poisoned one person.

(I was not told about the shellfish allergy at any time whatsoever before dinner)

technically, you did not poison that person....I do hope you still consider it a success.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I deboned a whole turkey, rolled it and tied it, and smoked it over hardwood lump charcoal. Everybody was blown away by how juicy it was. Lots of prep work for an incredible end product.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
We literally both had Ramen Noodles for xmas dinner as we're both sick as dogs.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Fog Tripper posted:

We literally both had Ramen Noodles for xmas dinner as we're both sick as dogs.

Poor babies :(

Well, my Xmas went off without a hitch, because we just did a french toast casserole at my Nana's house before heading south to my parent's condo in Boynton (it's like boca but more retired ny cops and firemen, they only opened bars and restaurants instead of delis) for some good ol family time in the souf.

By the at, French toast casserole has changed my world. Never again will I make individual slices of French toast again. This was so easy it was criminal. Just need more 'custard' next time, it was a touch dry on top.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014
The stars of my Christmas dinner were turchetta, sous vide cranberry relish, hasselback potatoes, and tarragon carrots, also done sous vide. My GF was a picky eater and didn't really eat many vegetables before we got together, so seeing her go back for seconds on the carrots was a huge compliment. To be fair, she has said (and followed through) that she will try anything I make. My parents also don't really like cranberry sauce that isn't from a can, but they wouldn't let me leave with the leftovers. They both absolutely loved everything. Dessert was a pumpkin cheesecake with a gingersnap crust, homemade whipped cream that wasn't nearly as sweet as the store bought stuff, and covered in salted caramel sauce. My family is used to my ability to make things that they have not liked in the past into something they love, but the GF is still in the "Holy gently caress, I can't believe I ate a pile of cranberries and cooked carrots with dinner and still wanted more" phase.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Suspect Bucket posted:

By the at, French toast casserole has changed my world. Never again will I make individual slices of French toast again. This was so easy it was criminal. Just need more 'custard' next time, it was a touch dry on top.

Sounds like a British Bread or Bread & Butter Pudding. Should be crispy on top, not dry.

Sick through Christmas eve and day. Still put out slow roasted leg of lamb, potatoes boulangere potatoes, crisp roast sprouts with bacon. Step mother in law brought pointless orzo salad, other mother in law brought supposedly bourbon glazed carrots but were really fake baby carrots suffocated in orange juice. Sister in law brought healthy cookies. Too ill to eat more than a mouthful and crashed out before the night was nearly over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Christmas was just me and my wife this year. Why did I make 30 jalapeno poppers? That's a great question. I have no idea, but I'd do it again.

Since it was just us, we didn't want to go crazy with a bunch of dishes so we decided to make a lasagna. We settled on this one. This thing took 5 hours to make (some of which was self-inflicted since I made a homemade tomato sauce rather than using jarred poo poo), but god drat was it worth it. First lasagna I've ever made, best lasagna I've ever had, and didn't even miss the meat.

We were fat and happy that night.

(I know the pictures aren't great but we were hungry and wanted to eat, dammit)

• Locked thread