Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I gotta say: the staff picks are way better than their lame awards. Maybe I'm just biased since there's a whole lot more Flip Flappers and Euphonium :v:

https://twitter.com/crunchyroll/status/820148693391134720

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

a kitten posted:

I gotta say: the staff picks are way better than their lame awards.

This seems like a fluke based on their staff picks the prior 3 years.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

a kitten posted:

I gotta say: the staff picks are way better than their lame awards. Maybe I'm just biased since there's a whole lot more Flip Flappers and Euphonium :v:

https://twitter.com/crunchyroll/status/820148693391134720

"I always say that JoJo's is like the original Star Trek movies--the best parts are even-numbered."

"Studio David's"

"New to JoJo? Start here--and buckle up"

It's first guy on the list and I already want to be sick

e: also the guy who talks about the One Punch Manga specifically praises things about Murata's version that Murata himself often credits to ONE which is cute as all hell (All of the character designs are the same, he keeps ONE's story boarding and panel layout often).

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 14, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

been putting this off buuuut

i'm glad we still ended up having this thread for 2016, and glad i could participate to the small extent i did. tons of thanks to AnacondaHL for counting votes and giving us a lovely complex spreadsheet full of that data to look at. regardless of how often you do this sort of thing, my unprepared rear end is super appreciative of you pulling something coherent out of this haphazardly made thread. also darkgray for running this thread in past years, and both suggesting multiple cours be merged as well as adding a handful of series i missed when i first compiled the list for this thread. more thanks to: Endorph for making a results by studio breakdown, Fangz for giving our results some visual flair in chart form, kater for the no normies list (lol), and of course everyone who voted! apologies to ViggyNash, l33tc4k30fd00m, Lucy Heartfilia, brainwinkle, and any others who didn't happen to post for the unexpected and last-minute change of voting deadline.

i'd be glad to do this again next year, with some actual coordination with namtab so our threads go up and close at the same time. :sweatdrop:
in any case, i'm always free to provide a mostly-accurate list of anime in a given year.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I am an avatar of chaos

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

"I always say that JoJo's is like the original Star Trek movies--the best parts are even-numbered."

This is true, though. OK, I'd rank Steel Ball Run above Stone Ocean, but Battle Tendency, Diamond is Unbreakable, and Stone Ocean are all better than Phantom Blood, Stardust Crusaders, and Vento Aureo.

Edit: Remember the Phantom Blood manga's terrible Liefeld-style art? All the bland fights in early Stardust Crusaders like Dark Blue Moon and Strength? Vento Aureo's bland villain and nonsensical ending?

Now remember all the insane stuff young Joseph does? The more innovative Stand powers and more complex characters in Diamond is Unbreakable?

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 15, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Vento Aureo is better than most Jojos though? Also yea that involves pretending Steel Ball Run isn't a gold standard of everything, let alone Jojo storytelling

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Vento Aureo is better than most Jojos though? Also yea that involves pretending Steel Ball Run isn't a gold standard of everything, let alone Jojo storytelling

Vento Aureo is better than Phantom Blood and maybe Stardust Crusaders (and the Part 3 anime is kinda making me have second thoughts on this, to be honest). Battle Tendency, Diamond is Unbreakable, Stone Ocean and JoJolion have way better JoJo's and I honestly cared more for the drat thing just ending because I knew that it wouldn't end properly. The one thing it has that almost any other JoJo could use a bit more of is a little someone called Bruno loving Buccellati

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Actually stardust crusaders is peak and most iconic jojo. It's the best.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
actually phantom blood's art rules and is better than rob liefeld

i mean it's not good art, but it's charming, and pretty justifiable since it was still araki trying to pin down a rough style

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Edit: Remember the Phantom Blood manga's terrible Liefeld-style art?

lmfao

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's fun to look at, in comparison to a guy who's been drawing comics for years and has not grown past that level

i like the stuff in gorgerous irene for the same reason, not super pretty but they've got fun writing and it's neat to see his style at its earliest

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't know how the 90's lovely comic man is related to a mid 80's japanese manga with obvious influences, aside from trying to be a lame own.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Namtab posted:

Actually stardust crusaders is peak and most iconic jojo. It's the best.

Another correct namtab opinion

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the best araki manga is the one-shot about a guy on a space ship with nobody but a robot and bored captain who has to disarm a bomb where the twist is the captain planted the bomb because he's so bored that he's gone insane

second only to Cool Shock BT

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I can't believe Araki made Koichi years before Koichi made his debut

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i don't know how the 90's lovely comic man is related to a mid 80's japanese manga with obvious influences, aside from trying to be a lame own.

I'm being hyperbolic (the comparison comes mainly from the exaggerated musculature, but Araki's anatomy at its worst is still clearly better than Liefeld's), but the point stands that it's not good art.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I'm being hyperbolic (the comparison comes mainly from the exaggerated musculature, but Araki's anatomy at its worst is still clearly better than Liefeld's), but the point stands that it's not good art.

that's fair

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Another correct namtab opinion

The "correct" is redundant

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm not sure why Liefeld is anime fans' standby comparison for bizarrely-proportioned musclemen when Baki the Grappler exists.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
because baki the grappler is transcendent

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Foiled again by the world's greatest evitceted! :(

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

The Colonel posted:

the best araki manga is the one-shot about a guy on a space ship with nobody but a robot and bored captain who has to disarm a bomb where the twist is the captain planted the bomb because he's so bored that he's gone insane

Araki invented SS13?

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Ranzear posted:

Araki invented SS13?

Sure, ask me anything.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

darkgray posted:

I guess Golden Time kind of sort of mildly to some degree matches your criteria. I liked the novels, at least.

To my surprise I had totally forgotten I tried Golden Time before and reeeeeally did not like it. The whole amnesia thing is very Key-esque, and the main guy is as milquetoast as they come with hardly any flaws or anything to make him interesting or believable that two hot girls somehow want him.

But thank you for the recommendation for My Love Story, which is probably closer to Lovely Complex if it's a comedy even if it looks like only the main guy has a personality. I'll just continue slowly with March Comes In Like a Lion because that's more my speed now.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

part three is better than both parts 1 and 2, part 4 is my favourite, part 5 isn't in the running for me because of the poo poo translation, part 6 is really good, 7 is the gold standard and easily the most well written and arguably best looking, 8 is also really good so far. The even > odd thing is definitely untrue as a rule or even trend

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I tell everyone to skip part 1. Phantom Blood has too little of the humor and weirdness that makes all the other parts great. Jonathan himself is a boring character, and the most interesting character isn't even in half of the episodes.

It's fun if you want more Jojo, but if you're just getting started with the series it'll bore the hell out of you.

I have a soft spot for Part 3 because I started with it, and there are few things in this world greater than a Star Platinum beatdown.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I tell everyone to skip part 1. Phantom Blood has too little of the humor and weirdness that makes all the other parts great. Jonathan himself is a boring character, and the most interesting character isn't even in half of the episodes.

It's fun if you want more Jojo, but if you're just getting started with the series it'll bore the hell out of you.

I have a soft spot for Part 3 because I started with it, and there are few things in this world greater than a Star Platinum beatdown.

What the gently caress

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

everyone ive shown jojo's to has enjoyed phantom blood. my girlfriend liked it more than part 2 and 3. jonathan's a kind of likable protagonist even if he's bland, the relationship between him and dio is great, speedwagon provides some comedy, and zeppeli's sacrifice is one of the highlights of the first couple of parts. it's also over in like, 10 episodes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
phantom blood animated was my second experience with jojo with very little context having only seen the first ova, and it was fun. some of the fights were actually kind of cool, there were fun scenes like the group escaping from danger on a giant leaf, and yeah it's only eight episodes long. also i'd hug young speedwagon

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 16, 2017

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Phantom Blood is good, except for Danny :(.

Edit: Actually I looked it up to find his name and it's not as bad as the anime made it look.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

enough, close this place!

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I dunno if it's better recommending someone watch JoJo part 3 before 1 and 2. I like the gradual increase in quality as you watch them in order.

That said, if someone has been really hyped about part 3 and wants to jump into that first, they're not missing much from 1 and 2. PERSONALLY I feel part 2 is super important to get to know Joseph Joestar, the best character.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Part 1's technical execution is great, Araki's hatching is beautiful and ridiculously exaggerated musclemen are good in a dumb action comic

Obviously his art improves as the series goes on (and his men twink out) but there's no way I'd call Part 1's art bad.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Davincie posted:

enough, close this place!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ask and ye shall receive

see y'all in 11 months!

• Locked thread