Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Grognan posted:

LOL reading those articles, this is not a thing that happens in first world countries and you are still psychotically doing your clam tickle thing.

You are not very good at reading, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Not to mention that "that doesn't happen in first world countries", that wording comes with the 'out of sight out of mind' implication. So if it happens outside of first world countries it doesn't count?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Libluini posted:

You are not very good at reading, then.
They're bad at many things, no doubt.

So after the anti-fascists potluck and solidarity WMoW, there's been a lot of talk about how to proceed. The things that I've found very interesting is that it turns out there was a shitload of women out there who wanted to participate in actions with other organizations but simply didn't know they were even active. Most of them were politically aware but uhh, not in the social activist circles that are mostly active here in Iceland.

Do any of you have experience getting the word out about activities/groups to more marginalized people?

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Not to mention that "that doesn't happen in first world countries", that wording comes with the 'out of sight out of mind' implication. So if it happens outside of first world countries it doesn't count?
When I was doing a lot of No Boston Olympics advocacy someone stood up and asked a representative from the Mayor's office (who were fully supporting this ludicrous bid) what they would do about human trafficking that inevitably takes place around this kind of major event.

The guy said "that doesn't happen here" [in first world countries].

This is a guy at the right hand of the mayor. There is plenty of evidence, there are plenty of people's stories to say yes, human trafficking is a HUGE problem. But out of sight out of mind, right? If he doesn't see it happening, if it's inconvenient to his narrative, it doesn't exist.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Defenestration posted:

When I was doing a lot of No Boston Olympics advocacy someone stood up and asked a representative from the Mayor's office (who were fully supporting this ludicrous bid) what they would do about human trafficking that inevitably takes place around this kind of major event.

The guy said "that doesn't happen here" [in first world countries].

This is a guy at the right hand of the mayor. There is plenty of evidence, there are plenty of people's stories to say yes, human trafficking is a HUGE problem. But out of sight out of mind, right? If he doesn't see it happening, if it's inconvenient to his narrative, it doesn't exist.

Thank you for your part in preventing the olympics from coming to Boston

lordly lord what a dumbfuck idea that was

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Kelp Me! posted:

Thank you for your part in preventing the olympics from coming to Boston

lordly lord what a dumbfuck idea that was
That's Marty Walsh for you. Name a dumbfuck idea and he'll support it so long as it's shiny and a corporate handout (no matter how little he knows about it)

His attempt at equal pay (by offering negotiating classes for women) sticks in my craw because I was explicitly NOT earning equal pay for equal work when I worked in Boston and you bet I was negotiating hard for myself every step of the way. We don't need another class, we need businesses to be held accountable.

Vote Tito

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Walsh is a firm believer of the myth that if things have gone poorly for you its because you werent good enough, even i situations where he is the one actively applying the boot to the neck of the oppressed. I am not in the slightest bit surprised that his answer to feminism would be saying that obviously the problem is that women just arent good enough and if we educate them then the problem will be fixed

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I feel like joining this thread after attending baby's first protest march yesterday. Even out here in flyover country (Bismarck, ND) we had a huge crowd, considering. I held a sign that said "Rebellions are built on hope" and got my picture taken with a couple other people who had Leia-themed "A woman's place is in the resistance" signs. Even my boyfriend's old-fashioned, Catholic mother cheered me on and asked me to "march for her."

Is there a main thread about the march around here somewhere? I usually stay in PYF and avoid the politics threads, so I'm behind the times. But I'm trying to spend more time talking to other feminists.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

pookel posted:

I feel like joining this thread after attending baby's first protest march yesterday. Even out here in flyover country (Bismarck, ND) we had a huge crowd, considering. I held a sign that said "Rebellions are built on hope" and got my picture taken with a couple other people who had Leia-themed "A woman's place is in the resistance" signs. Even my boyfriend's old-fashioned, Catholic mother cheered me on and asked me to "march for her."

Is there a main thread about the march around here somewhere? I usually stay in PYF and avoid the politics threads, so I'm behind the times. But I'm trying to spend more time talking to other feminists.
Welcome! You can talk about the march here, for sure. I don't know anyone in ND so I am interested to hear about how you thought it went and how we might harness that energy toward mitigating and resisting the GOP's terrible agenda.

Meanwhile here are two extremely bad takes by the papers of record which show that we still have feminist work to do in this country.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/823369914048217089

https://twitter.com/annehelen/status/823327130117357568

Women's march? The story is about the men!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I'm the crayoned on Venus symbol.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
This was the crowd at the capitol:

That's me in the back with the "Rebellions are built on hope" sign. (Also, note the golden retriever in the pink sweater on top of the vehicle in the back. Not sure why they were up there ...)

For Bismarck, ND that is a huge crowd. It's a very red state, we skew elderly and conservative, there's no significant four-year university anywhere near, and the population is not keen on protesting in general. Local organizers hoped to get 400 people, and they got around 700. All our speakers except one were Native American women. Unfortunately I didn't hear a lot of the speeches because I was in the far back and the sound wasn't good. The state director for Planned Parenthood spoke, and she was great - she had a lot of practical advice about talking to local legislators and getting involved locally. There's a We Rise training event in a couple of months that everyone was invited to, and I'm hoping to go.

My boyfriend went and I was a little worried he'd be the only guy, but the crowd was about 20% male, I'd guess. Lots of kids there too, and people of all ages. Also, North Dakotans are not good at shouting. It took a lot of encouragement for anyone to get any chants going - I think people were a little embarrassed.

In a state like this, I'm hoping for small victories. A couple years ago, ND voters soundly rejected a "personhood amendment," and the legislator who was behind it lost her seat to a political newcomer - even while the other two legislative seats in her district stayed Republican. This year there's an LGBT equality bill being proposed, and I don't know how much chance it has, but I want to fight for it.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Defenestration posted:

Women's march? The story is about the men!

I do think it's interesting that zero violence occurred from an event that is inclusive of pretty much everyone but Patriarchal men.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I haven't read this yet to know how patronizing it is but "men learn how much work women do when they all peace out and appreciate how important women are" is a pretty good story imo.

The other one is trash tho.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I do think it's interesting that zero violence occurred from an event that is inclusive of pretty much everyone but Patriarchal men.

Well as one article pointed out, cops aren't about to turn the fire hoses on a bunch of white women. The March for Women fit an image of peaceful protest that something like BLM is totally denied, regardless of the actual actions of the participants.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

pookel posted:

That's me in the back with the "Rebellions are built on hope" sign. (Also, note the golden retriever in the pink sweater on top of the vehicle in the back. Not sure why they were up there ...)

For Bismarck, ND that is a huge crowd. It's a very red state, we skew elderly and conservative, there's no significant four-year university anywhere near, and the population is not keen on protesting in general. Local organizers hoped to get 400 people, and they got around 700. All our speakers except one were Native American women. Unfortunately I didn't hear a lot of the speeches because I was in the far back and the sound wasn't good. The state director for Planned Parenthood spoke, and she was great - she had a lot of practical advice about talking to local legislators and getting involved locally. There's a We Rise training event in a couple of months that everyone was invited to, and I'm hoping to go.

How far away are UND and NDSU? I know one's in Fargo, which I think is on the MN border.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

pookel posted:

The last time you guys built something on hope you ended up with the Obama administration and look how that turned out, maybe build the next rebellion on a solid foundation of solidarity and violence

(No but seriously good on you, stick with it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Howdy, y'all! We're pulling up stakes for the ol' feminism thread. You can now catch us here!
Have a good day~! :3:

• Locked thread