Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/01/31/us/politics/trump-cabinet-confirmation-votes.html?_r=0
The dems that didn't vote no even once need to be voted the gently caress out when their term is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

TBeats posted:

If you honestly don't see how your responses to people's lovely beliefs only cause them to believe their lovely beliefs even more, then you're a big part of the problem.

Doubling down on lovely beliefs because someone else thinks they're so obviously lovely that they don't even warrant a proper response is actually kind of childish.
And then complaining about it and expecting them to be the first person to act like an adult is kind of hypocritical.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SperginMcBadposter posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/01/31/us/politics/trump-cabinet-confirmation-votes.html?_r=0
The dems that didn't vote no even once need to be voted the gently caress out when their term is up.

Kristen Gillaband is an idiot.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Kristen Gillaband is an idiot.

I'm talking about these

They need to be replaced with vertebrates

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

TBeats posted:

If you honestly don't see how your responses to people's lovely beliefs only cause them to believe their lovely beliefs even more, then you're a big part of the problem.

This argument only makes sense if you believe that outreach and dialogue would change their lovely beliefs. But the most extreme partisans take their positions for emotional and personal reasons--they behave more like fans of a sports team*. Trying to convince such a person that their beliefs are wrong are about as useless as trying to convince an Eagles fan to root for the Cowboys.

Furthermore, engaging in such dialogue can give legitimacy to illegitimate positions. If you are willing to debate the pros and cons of "peaceful ethnic cleansing", you are actively entertaining the possibility of such a thing happening. Rejecting it outright is the best solution.

Sometimes the best thing to say really is "gently caress off".

*Mason, Lilliana 2015. "I Disrespectfully Agree': The Differential Effects of Partisan Sorting on Social and Issue Polarization", American Journal of Political Science

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

SperginMcBadposter posted:

I'm talking about these

They need to be replaced with vertebrates

You can argue that these 5 aren't really the hills to die on if you're a Democrat. Mnukin (or however you spell it), Sessions, Devos, and to a lesser extend Tillerson are the ones that I'd be alarmed over.

Edit: Speaking of hills to not die on, if I were in Democratic leadership I wouldn't burn up all my political capital fighting Gorsuch. Worst case scenario is preserving the status quo. I'd keep all of it burn if RBG or some liberal justice kicks the bucket (:ohdear:) and Trump tries to replace them with Ted Cruz or some poo poo. That's just me though.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 1, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Belgian Waffle posted:

expecting them to be the first person to act like an adult

The first one to act like an adult means both aren't acting childish, which is a step in the right direction.

Vengarr posted:

This argument only makes sense if you believe that outreach and dialogue would change their lovely beliefs. But the most extreme partisans take their positions for emotional and personal reasons--they behave more like fans of a sports team*. Trying to convince such a person that their beliefs are wrong are about as useless as trying to convince an Eagles fan to root for the Cowboys.

Furthermore, engaging in such dialogue can give legitimacy to illegitimate positions. If you are willing to debate the pros and cons of "peaceful ethnic cleansing", you are actively entertaining the possibility of such a thing happening. Rejecting it outright is the best solution.

Sometimes the best thing to say really is "gently caress off".

*Mason, Lilliana 2015. "I Disrespectfully Agree': The Differential Effects of Partisan Sorting on Social and Issue Polarization", American Journal of Political Science

I get what you are saying. My step dad, for example, won't change his mind about anything because he sees politics like sports, exactly like you said.

But the effect of telling him to gently caress off is way worse than just ignoring what he says, or engaging him in good faith.

This is probably the case for 99% of people. I would argue that sometimes the best approach isn't "gently caress off," but rather just ignoring it if you can't engage in good faith.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
You know. When you try not to legitimize things and then those illegitimate positions take the white house, you might want to rethink how you have been doing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
If all it takes for you to descend into full-throated jackbooted thuggery is a mean post on the internet, maybe you were just looking for an excuse?

I get the argument, but I don't think it necessarily applies to shitposting on the internet.

Which reminds me, it's a new month.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808363

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 1, 2017

• Locked thread