Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grittybeard posted:

The hall hates WRs mainly, but in Boselli's defense he was dominant while he was around. Peak vs. Longevity I guess.

Like I said in N/V, if Davis is a hall of famer there is absolutely no reason Boselli should not be, he had around double the career Davis had at a hall of fame level (jesus christ why is Terrell Davis in the hall of fame?).

because they won a really hyped up super bowl where elway got a ring and terrell davis was a household name for a little bit. but if it's a popularity contest than why the hell was TO not first ballot? it's all really inconsistent and stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TO is never getting into the HOF and I've been saying that forever, sportswriters will never change their mind about him

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
HOF voters have a stick up their asses about WRs, more or less. Art Monk had every receiving record in history, three SB rings when he retired, and WASN'T a complete douchebag. He still waited forever to get in because he was a quiet dude who didn't play their media game. I'd guess TO waits 10+ years to get in.

And it's bullshit, because him and Moss are 2A/2B all time.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Volkerball posted:

because they won a really hyped up super bowl where elway got a ring and terrell davis was a household name for a little bit. but if it's a popularity contest than why the hell was TO not first ballot? it's all really inconsistent and stupid.

Because TO is largely remembered as a prima-donna rear end in a top hat.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

gently caress brady anyways

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Durandal1707 posted:

HOF voters have a stick up their asses about WRs, more or less. Art Monk had every receiving record in history, three SB rings when he retired, and WASN'T a complete douchebag. He still waited forever to get in because he was a quiet dude who didn't play their media game. I'd guess TO waits 10+ years to get in.

And it's bullshit, because him and Moss are 2A/2B all time.
Art Monk should not be in the Hall of Fame.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Given that he was the best possession receiver of his time before Rice came into the league, I disagree.

That's beside the point though. The main thing I was getting at is that Hall voters are generally a bunch of petty shitbags who have a track record of keeping deserving players out of the hall for small slights - no matter if you're a nice person like Monk was, or loud and demonstrative like TO was during his prime years. It's why Ken Stabler didn't get elected until after he died and also why a whole retinue of deserving players remain out of the hall.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So to expand on the list of guys for next year, look who's coming up the next four years:

They're gonna keep TO out for a decade.

Also, listening to Andy Benoit talk about what he got from talking to the voters, TO is apparently loathed by his old teammates, and being that the voters are all old sportswriters, they love that narrative stuff way more then stats. It's interesting to hear the defense at least.

He also sobbed about how mean people are to Peter King about it, despite King voting for TO, :lol:

Kalli fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 7, 2017

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
"narrative stuff" is a feeble dismissal of the case against a guy who sabotaged a stacked Super Bowl team. Those Eagles teams (who I hated, btw) should've and would've been in the mix for a few more years if he could've just been a non-psycho for a while.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I hope moss gets in and TO doesn't because the way people react is way more entertaining than who is and isn't in the HOF.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
LaDainian Tomlinson is a hall of famer.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Moss's worst thing he's really famous for is A DISGUSTING ACT, which is just a joke about Joe Buck being an rear end in a top hat now.

Also, prepare to gag, his time with the Patriots will probably be seen as "rehabilitating" him by lovely white sports writers.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Kalli posted:

So to expand on the list of guys for next year, look who's coming up the next four years:

They're gonna keep TO out for a decade.

Also, listening to Andy Benoit talk about what he got from talking to the voters, TO is apparently loathed by his old teammates, and being that the voters are all old sportswriters, they love that narrative stuff way more then stats. It's interesting to hear the defense at least.

He also sobbed about how mean people are to Peter King about it, despite King voting for TO, :lol:

lol at the idea of Marshawn getting in over TO. if there's one guy sportswriters hate more than TO, it's Marshawn, and Marshawn is not as good an RB as TO was a receiver.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sean10mm posted:

Moss's worst thing he's really famous for is A DISGUSTING ACT, which is just a joke about Joe Buck being an rear end in a top hat now.

There was also the time he bumped a traffic cop with his car. It wasn't really dangerous or he'd have been in a hell of a lot more trouble than he was but someone will bring it up I'm sure.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The thing is, according to Andy Benoit / Peter King, sportswriters actually limit it to locker room stuff. By what they claim, they do not care about things like bumping a traffic cop, but would care about things like quitting on the Raiders. Puppies Puppies Puppies Puppies and he legit tried to merc a guy.

Marshawn probably has a good chance because his seahawks teammates will (presumably) stump hard for the guy, whereas apparently nobody who's met TO likes him.

Moss is also a much better receiver then TO ever was

Kalli fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 8, 2017

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Kalli posted:

Like [NAME REDACTED] went in last year and he legit tried to merc a guy.

The gently caress is wrong with you?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

swickles posted:

The gently caress is wrong with you?

*inches slowly away from Kalli*

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I ain't scared of hi... huh you know maybe I should be.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

The thing is, according to Andy Benoit / Peter King, sportswriters actually limit it to locker room stuff.

Oh that's right, I forgot about the whole Peter King Darren Sharper tweet.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Terrell Davis is interesting because of the precedent it opens up for obviously-great, but injury-plagued players. TD had a 4-year stretch where he averaged 105 yards a game, including three seasons in a row over 1500 rushing yards. He also averaged 142 y/g in his 8 playoff games. His peak is unquestionably HOF-worthy, then he tore his ACL and barely played after that. I don't buy the Chris Johnson comparison, because Johnson didn't decline because of injury. He played multiple full seasons and put up marginal numbers.

I think TO will get in within the next couple of years. Much like Cris Carter, it's longer than it should take, but he's not getting locked out for 10 years.

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno about TD, everybody put up crazy numbers behinds that Bronco line.

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002

Blind Pineapple posted:

Terrell Davis is interesting because of the precedent it opens up for obviously-great, but injury-plagued players. TD had a 4-year stretch where he averaged 105 yards a game, including three seasons in a row over 1500 rushing yards. He also averaged 142 y/g in his 8 playoff games. His peak is unquestionably HOF-worthy, then he tore his ACL and barely played after that. I don't buy the Chris Johnson comparison, because Johnson didn't decline because of injury. He played multiple full seasons and put up marginal numbers.

As much as posters here likes to pretend compiling stats during the regular season means something, sportswriters and the general fan care about the playoffs. As you said, in just 8 games against playoff teams TD had 1140 yds and 8 TDs. The other guys with playoff numbers like that are guys like Marcus Allen and Tony Dorsett, and they had twice as many games.

Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, and the like usually had 1 good year and disappeared in the playoffs. Portis was really good imo and his numbers in Washington were pretty good, though they ran the poo poo out of him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Well poo poo we ought to put Timmy Smith in the Hall of Fame if you're going to overvalue playoffs to that degree and ignore the nominal reason he's actually semi-arguably deserving.

TD is a terrible selection, and it's not because of 'posters here.'

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

If you're going to put in Terrell Davis, I don't know why Shaun Alexander isn't getting consideration since he also rode a really good offensive line for 4-5 good seasons

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blind Pineapple posted:

I think TO will get in within the next couple of years. Much like Cris Carter, it's longer than it should take, but he's not getting locked out for 10 years.

CJ never got the benefit of being behind one of the best o lines in NFL history.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Volkerball posted:

CJ never got the benefit of being behind one of the best o lines at cut blocking in NFL history.

Fixed that for you

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

a neat cape posted:

If you're going to put in Terrell Davis, I don't know why Shaun Alexander isn't getting consideration since he also rode a really good offensive line for 4-5 good seasons

I was just thinking of him.

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002
Wait, I thought Elway rode TD to two Super Bowls, now you're telling me it goes another level deeper?!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't usually scream all that much but the Hall of fame is going to become full soon thanks to these decisions, lately. yargh

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002

a neat cape posted:

It's something to consider. His career averages and TDs are quite similar with Tomlinson. I don't think Alexander ever had Lorenzo Neal clearing the way for him either.

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Afterbirth Aftermath posted:

It's something to consider. His career averages and TDs are quite similar with Tomlinson. I don't think Alexander ever had Lorenzo Neal clearing the way for him either.

He did have Mack Strong.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Afterbirth Aftermath posted:

Yeah, just Mack Strong and Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson. No biggie.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

This is for Ross, who doesn't have PM's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Don-Co...10AAOSwTuJYnOGn

Got ten bucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

• Locked thread