Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Network Technology?
nas
san
ethernet over fibre channel
fibre channel over ethernet
ax.25 300 baud comedy option
View Results

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
im gay *laugh track* text me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Silver Alicorn posted:

just like my zojirushi water heater

duTrieux. posted:

i ♥ my zojirushi rice cooker

i like both my zoji water heater and rice cooker

v pleased would buy again

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
im a networking noob. my company is buying a bunch of a certain switch from Nokia... but looking at the sample configs for it it looks like we set up a full on IP routing table, theres ospf support, etc. what is the difference between a switch and a router at this point???

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

im a networking noob. my company is buying a bunch of a certain switch from Nokia... but looking at the sample configs for it it looks like we set up a full on IP routing table, theres ospf support, etc. what is the difference between a switch and a router at this point???

that' s what you call a layer 3 switch

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
yeah reading into it the switch vs router thing in this context just doesn't matter. no tdm ports on this switch though guess we are doubling the amount of networking equipment at all the edges of our network lol.

edit: aside from my reflexive autismal bitchiness it does look like the right piece of equipment for our needs except for the lack of tdm ports. Cant have it all I guess.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 4, 2017

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

layer 3 switch routes between LAN subnets, separate router for your WAN circuits, run IGP of choice between LAN/WAN devices. You can fit a firewall in between them easier that way in higher security networks, or maybe WAN optimization hardware.

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

in other news, Cisco is NOT DOING A RECALL ON ISR 4300 routers: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/03/cisco_clock_component_may_fail/. It's just a proactive replacement.

which is great because we replaced all our 2800s with 4300s last year. like almost 300 routers. Now we have the exact same project again this year.

Thanks, Cisco.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pram posted:

im gay *laugh track* text me

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i helped some people set up an illicit cable internet sharing system by building some rinky dink yagis and setting up a bunch of wrt54gs in a multinodal repeater network and they thanked me by giving me nice bottles of alcohol and this is how i ended up years later with hundreds of bottles of alcohol i can't use because whenever guests come over they see the collection and think, wow, i bet this guy would like a nice bottle of alcohol as a gift look at all that booze he keeps in his house

this has been my computer networking cautionary tale, thank you for reading

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I just got an AsanteTalk LocalTalk to Ethernet gateway so I can put old LocalTalk-only Macs on a network

if I ran a MacIP gateway on a box with an old enough netatalk to do AppleTalk, I could even get full TCP/IP to a Mac Plus at 230.4kbps (minus the DDP encapsulation overhead, of course)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

angry_keebler posted:

i helped some people set up an illicit cable internet sharing system by building some rinky dink yagis and setting up a bunch of wrt54gs in a multinodal repeater network and they thanked me by giving me nice bottles of alcohol and this is how i ended up years later with hundreds of bottles of alcohol i can't use because whenever guests come over they see the collection and think, wow, i bet this guy would like a nice bottle of alcohol as a gift look at all that booze he keeps in his house

Drink the alcohol

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

pap schmear posted:

Thanks, Cisco.

Thisco

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Sniep posted:

i like both my zoji water heater and rice cooker

v pleased would buy again

the zojirushi coffee maker does not play music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

angry_keebler posted:

nice

• Locked thread