Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Another game rec thread! This month's theme is :hist101: MYTHIC HISTORY :hist101:. I'm interested in games that use ancient/mythical history, whether as a setting or as part of an existing one. This includes the Roman Empire, the Levant, China, Atlantis, whatever.

Accuracy is optional as long as you think it's good, though I'm not interested in games that are too lovely to the source material. Use your own judgement! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Mythic history, you say? Can't go wrong with Glorantha, the setting where you can literally walk into the mythology and fiddle with the levers.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

If you want to stick to earth, there are Ars Magica and Pendragon. Both of them do a great job of making their mythologized medival settings plausible, playable, and respectful. The former has a ton of books and elements contributed by enthusiastic historians, while the latter is the masterpiece of the legendary Greg Stafford. Finally, both games are standout examples of theme driven rules.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Savage worlds has a setting called Weird Wars: Rome that got Kickstarted a while ago. Basically you play legionnaires who travel the empire protecting it from all manner of supernatural beasties.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Mage the Awakening 1e is my favourite for this, with Secrets of the Hidden Temple being a supplement all about it. Apparently they downplayed it in 2e in response to grog whining, which was a mistake imo.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arivia posted:

Mage the Awakening 1e is my favourite for this, with Secrets of the Hidden Temple being a supplement all about it. Apparently they downplayed it in 2e in response to grog whining, which was a mistake imo.

On the other hand, To the Strongest, the Hellenic setting presented in Dark Eras that covers the period in the wake of Alexander the Great's death is pretty great for this sort of thing.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Speaking of Hellenes, there's Atlantis: The Second Age, a mythic prehistory game based on the rules of Hellas: The World of Sun and Stone. Basically they decided "You know what'd be cool? It'd be cool to take our "Let's do ancient Greek myth as a space opera" game and just use it to tell ancient myths!" Which seems to be working backwards to me, but hey.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
For some reason the first one I can think of is Testament: Roleplaying in the Biblical Era, which was a D&D 3e supplement that allowed you to play in the Biblical Levant. I don't think it's actually very good, but it's interesting to say the least.

Oh, and who could forget about Mazes & Minotaurs, a free RPG set in a world inspired by Greek myth through the lens of swords and sandals films without all that much thought given to mythical or historical accuracy. It's a complete game that you can actually play with a very retro aesthetic and feel to the rules, and it was written with the idea of "What if the first RPG ever created had been one inspired by Greek myth instead of swords and sorcery fantasy?" and the game is filled with sidebars detailing the fictional history of the game (including references to edition wars and the many arguments that were fought on the letters pages of the game's official magazine Griffin). As I said, it's entirely free, and while you shouldn't look to it for a historically or mythically accurate take on Greek myth it's got some pretty neat ideas.

The authors later made a spin-off game called Vikings & Valkyries, which basically lazily adapts the game's rules into a setting more inspired by Norse myth. I think that's pretty much supposed to be the joke? Like, in the same way as AD&D got a number of supplements for playing the game in various historical eras which really didn't work with the AD&D rules the authors just haphazardly applied the rules of M&M to a Norse setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Agon is an RPG whose tagline is "Competitive Roleplaying in Ancient Greece." Trash talking and oath swearing are highly encouraged. It's basically about playing Greek heroes who get constantly jerked around by the gods and have to compete for favour and glory on very unreasonable quests given to them by capricious and uncaring deities.

Mythenders is a loving metal RPG about killing your way through the Norse pantheon and all their slaves one god at a time because they wronged your mortal self in such a way that the universe compensated by giving you ultimate god-slaying power. Notable gameplay features include rolling literally about 70d6 at a time, trying to have normal conversations with regular humans being likely to set them on fire and screaming about how you're going to punch Odin in the dick being strongly encouraged.

• Locked thread