Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

SunAndSpring posted:

You can definitely cobble together a good Orlanthi by combining Alacrity, Passion or Command, and Sky.

Yeah, I kinda wish "Death" didn't default to being a necromancer, since, well, Humakti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

unseenlibrarian posted:

Yeah, I kinda wish "Death" didn't default to being a necromancer, since, well, Humakti.

Just get everything but a Pale Crown Beckons and Summons for the Day (IIRC, Humakti never revive dead people).

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Well, they also get a 'default' command undead ability just for having the word, but yeah.

Edit: Also that just means it's easier for someone to take "I am Uz" as a fact and be Zorak Zoran with the same Word, so eh, it comes out in the wash.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 18, 2017

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'd laugh if someone made their backstory Fact be "I AM A DRAGON" or something if I ever got around to running a game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I'd be interested in a Lom setting supplement, because while the corebook details a decent amount about the antipriesthood and how the government functions, there's not much of a good general sense of how the other 90% of the nation lives their lives. Lom apparently defends its coastal settlements againt Ulstang raids but there's not much information on how they organise their forces.

The way I use them (although my players in my early campaign haven't run into much to do with Lom yet), to me, Lom is the 'pre 2000s' China in style, as opposed to Dulimbai's 'literally ancient China'.
So you have the antipriesthood [bureaucracy] theoretically committed to True Reason [communism] but in practice most of them are just entrenching themselves and being pointlessly political. Running certain towns as experiments in 'efficiency' is right up the China mould. The Reformers exist in secret and maybe some day will get things focused on making things not so bad, but they'll need Godbound help to uncover the angel-conspiracy and depose them, and a force of angels is an endgame-level threat.

This might make for an interesting campaign, actually, if my game goes longer than a few sessions, now that I think about it, as my players are based in Vissio. I intended them to get drawn into a possible Patrian resurgence, but instead they might hear about a Glorious AntiCrusade heading south through the Howlers to eventually reach Vissio.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

I've seen Crawford describe Lom as "North Korea run by French philosophes" so that's probably not far from the mark.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Since I've been on a huge Kevin Crawford kick recently and since most of his stuff, at the core, cross-compatible, I thought there's plenty enough material to allow for running the entire BECMI character arc but, you know, with better rules support.

So you'd basically start out as Labyrinth Lord (or Scarlet Heroes, if you're into that sort of thing) characters, at around the time characters get to name level you start using the domain management and warfare stuff from An Echo, Resounding, and around the time when in vanilla BECMI you'd start messing around Immortals rules you'd plug in the stuff from Godbound on top of each character so they can finally go and kick all the gods in the dick.

It'd probably require some pretty extensive hacking, but I could see it being done.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

You can -almost- do this internally with Godbound and the Deluxe rules, even. Start everyone out at the "Common human" level, have someone burn down their beloved peasant village after a few sessions, which is their motivation to jump up to heroic with upgraded stats and access to new talents, etc, and in the process of whatever caused -that- getting solved (And maybe building a new village with the surviving refugees and doing some of the basic no-divine powers required- dominion stuff while dealing with the local court in their new home) they get their Words, become Godbound, and then things start getting weird.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

So since it's #Goblinweek over on Tumblr, I present my (Probably really bad) first attempt at a custom word:

The word of Goblins.

me posted:

GOBLINS

The word of Goblins is all about the low bringing down the high, the weak tearing down the strong, the goblin screaming and clinging to someone’s head while stabbing them with a rusty knife. Its miracles mostly just produce goblins from unexpected and occasionally horrible places. Also? Explosives. Goblins like bombs.

A Godbound of Goblins can command goblins in their presence, up to one mob of any size. Greater Goblins (Hobgoblins and Bugbears, and Barghests) get a Spirit Saving throw to resist, and cannot be commanded to suicidal actions. (Nilbogs also get this save, but if they make it just do the opposite of what you ordered them to do, the little shits.) They are treated as having an 18 charisma, but only for goblinkind, which honestly is as much a downside as benefit.

Lesser Gifts:

“Oi, get out here you lot” Action

You summon a Small Mob of Normal goblins. They come pouring out of whatever entrances are available
(Goblins squeeze surprisingly well. The entrances can be very small.)
The goblins are perfectly loyal until you use this gift again, at which point they run screaming for the rear and let the fresh troops take their place.

“What? How Did they even…” On Turn

Commit Effort. You use Goblins as a weapon at a range of 200 feet, doing 1d10 damage and making attack rolls as normal.
The goblins burst out of nowhere (Sometimes carving their way out from the inside of an enemy), screaming and stabbing with knives or spears.
There’s no visible connection between the user and the enemy’s contraction of a severe case of goblins.

“Loot and Pillage!” On Turn

Commit Effort. As long the effort remains committed, your goblins will bring you any mundane item or domestic animals you might need as tribute.
(Animals may be slightly damaged in transit). The objects vanish when the effort is reclaimed, because goblins are shifty little bastards and made off with them again.
Goblins can’t carry any object larger than a horse, and if they eat the objects brought, they won’t lose that nourishment after the effort is reclaimed.
(In fact ‘they ate it’ is a perfectly valid explanation for where the objects went.)

There’s good eatin’ on them. On turn

Commit effort for the day. You, and anyone affected by your Goblin Word are able to eat and digest even the most disgusting slop.
You are immune to any poison or disease you might otherwise be affected by ingesting, and can gain nourishment even from things that demonstrable aren’t edible, like mudpies.

“ONE OF US ONE OF US!” On turn

A visible creature of hit dice equal to or less than your level who swears loyalty to you is ‘adopted’ into a goblin mob, becoming subject to the effects of the Goblin Word.
This gift cannot affect more than 100 characters per character level in total. Over time, the adopted will actually physically transform into some sort of goblinoid.

“Break things” Action

Goblins under your command lay siege to a structure no larger than a small house, employing violence, explosives, and strong language to tear it down.
This can be destructive, causing 1d20 damage to those inside, or controlled demolition, leaving them unharmed.
Larger structures must be taken down a piece at a time. This does not affect weapons or armor.

Greater Gifts:

Wolf Riders Constant

All Goblins under your command gain +1 Hit Die, a hit bonus equal to your level, and a morale of 11, thanks to bonding with monstrous mounts.
Worgs and giant rats that make up the usual goblin mounts are counted as goblins for purposes of your Word.

They brought how many bombs? (Smite) Action

Commit Effort for the Scene. You set goblin sappers to work.
For the rest of the scene, as long as the target is on the ground, you can detonate a goblin mine underneath them for your level in damage, with a hardiness save for half.
The blasts can destroy structures less sturdy than a stone building. These bombs can only go off once every other round, as this is a smite.

Boss, no! Instant

Commit effort when you’ve been attacked. The nearest goblin will leap in to take the hit for you;
if it’s area attack, this is the nearest mob forming a human (Well, goblin) shield.
Any damage left after the goblin or goblins are killed will still hit you.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
So it's David Bowie: Godbound?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Kinda!

Honestly it wouldn't be hard to do an entire Pantheon of different Bowies.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
I know something very much along these lines was discussed on the very first page (i.e. mashing up Godbound with something with a more modern setting), but while reading it yesterday I suddenly thought of a campaign idea my friend and I talked about a while back: basically, the setting is our world, but suddenly all the gods of all the religion come back for a huge apocalyptic war to sort out, once and for all, who is the best at being gods. We had the image of Thor, Zeus, Perun, Perkunas and basically all the gods of thunder fighting in the sky, trying to wrest thunderbolts from each others' hands, while elsewhere in the sky a very exasperated Amaterasu is literally screaming because a huge godly dung beetle keeps rolling her across the sky while Sol insists that she's actually his chariot. While all of this is going on all the trickster gods of every pantheon are just hanging out somewhere, looking at the chaos around them and laughing their asses off.

So, basically Terry Pratchett's Pyramids but set in the modern world. The angle for player characters would probably be that they're demigods, but to make things a bit more interesting characters could have mixed lineages, which could potentially lead to some very interesting godlings.

e: The Trump administration's first executive order when the gods suddenly start appearing is to ban all state departments from referring to them as "gods" so as not to infringe on the religious freedoms of American Christians.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 25, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
If anyone is interested, I'm recruiting for a Godbound game set in a post-apocalyptic take on Chinese mythology and Journey To The West. You kind of start as Lesser Godbounds until you hit level 6 and go full Godbound. Makes it easier for me to get used to running a game of godly adventurers. Could be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Picked up Sixteen Sorrows on the strength of the corebook, and not much to say other than it's decent treatment of the subjects involved for the size and price point. Plus more Kevin Crawford Random generators.

• Locked thread