Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
I think I finally found something google can't answer. My cat, Dynamo, suffers from chronic constipation likely due to some megacolon issue. But that's more an aside. We are trying a new food to help, and he had his first enema a week ago. Since he only goes every 2-3 days, and it is bigger around than a normal cat poo, I've found myself wondering, did he poop enough and how much of what he should be giving up did he? Google cat poop, go ahead, I'll wait. You can find out how often a cat should poo, what it should look like, feel like, even smell like. But I cannot find out how much the poo for a given day or BM should weigh. Obvious water content is a variable, but let's assume that the meds are keeping a regular amount of water in it.

I was thrilled that he just went #2, after talking the vet out of another enema today, so much so that I bagged it up and weighed it. Because of course I have a kitchen scale dedicated to cat needs. 1.3 oz. Not too shabby Mr. Dynamo but is that a lot? Not enough?

So for science, if you have a scale, bag that poop up while it's fresh and give it an ol' heft. I promise, this is not weird. No one is judging you. Me. You. Me. Hopefully we can answer this for future generations.

http://imgur.com/a/Q10EX
edited to try to fix my cat's handsome picture. Still not sure why it's not showing up.

pandaid fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Oddly enough I've been wondering how much cat poop is 'normal'. Ginny loads her box up every day and when I put it all in the litter-genie it is always to the brim before I pull the slide that opens the chute... and this is coming from an 8 pound cat. I have the theory that when I'm not home she eats as much as she can because she wants to make as much crap as possible as some sort of passive aggressive thing.

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
Cat #2 did a number 2. Cosmic (cat #2) is a slightly smaller cat, but poops like normal cat, usually every day. He is a long haired cat, so often there's lots of fur in it. I thought this one was a little on the smaller side, but it weighed in at 1.1 oz.

I should note I use Feline pine, so there's very little if any litter in the measurement. Just a plastic poo bag.

I feed them grain free wet food and some T/D science diet kibble. They get 2 meals a day, for a total food per day of 3 oz of wet food and 1/4 cup of kibble plus some treats. Normally Dynamo gets a little more wet and a little less kibble, but you get an idea. They don't eat a lot so less poop. Cosmic is about 10.5 lb and Dynamo is a little over 12 lb (oops, he gained some holiday weight before his recent eating and pooping issues)

• Locked thread