Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Does anybody play consoles (PS4, X-Box, etc) on their PC monitor by using a capture card?

I don't want to record my gameplay, but I'd like to have a 1080p window where I can play PS4/XBOX and have Youtube on the side, etc.

However, I'm concerned about lag. AverMedia/Elgato both have PCIe capture cards that advertise "Instant Gameview" but I wonder if it's truely almost 0ms lag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
You'll only get video delay if you are capturing and/or encoding. If the feed is just passing through to the monitor you should be fine.

FYI, with HDMI from a game console are encoded signals with HDCP to prevent copying. When I worked as a game dev on PlayStation kits, we always had to toggle off HDCP to capture video for trailers from the devkit... retail consoles do not have this option and you may not get a signal at all. So be warned!!

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

I've had a couple capture devices, an old Hauppauge non-HDMI and my current Avermedia Portable, the former had a noticeable delay of around a fifth of a second, but my Avermedia LGX, http://a.co/0gKxTLi , has almost no delay. Obviously, your mileage will probably vary based on what your exact setup is, but testing it out with FFXV I couldn't really notice any delay when I was just using it to preview and not record anything.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I don't know about milliseconds but it's about frames. I remember I did a 120fps recording comparing PVM to what my cheap 1ms gaming monitor could reach, it was 3-4 frames late, not noticeable, but that's with SKNET MonsterX U3.0R for $199ish. Done frame-perfection speedrunning, music games, puzzlers through it to verify it's ability, though this is with the monitor set to its 1ms gaming mode which hurts the eyes (BenQ).

You want these non-consumerlevel devices, they lack bloat in both software and firmware and are incredibly reliable and handsome to work with. Magewell XI100DUSB-HDMI is $299 and acts as a webcam, no drivers necessary, doesn't get any better than that, untested input lag though.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Thanks for the information everybody. I've been looking at reviews and information but it sounds like even the best PCIe cards have a decent amount of latency?

• Locked thread