Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jose posted:

mao was the ultimate goon. didn't wash and cleaned himself loving young girls
i'd argue that henry david thoreau was the ultimate goon. he hid in a shack in the middle of nowhere, was awful with women, and had a neckbeard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Zyla posted:

seriosuly tho i never studied mao

can we do a breakdown of good bad here?

i know a lotta people died

he got lots of people to kill sparrows because they were a pest and then another pest that are locusts ate all the harvest and caused a famine

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he had doctors turned into pariahs and then got everyone on Traditional Chinese Medicine that Definitely Works which is the major form of healthcare in modern day china

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jose posted:

he had doctors turned into pariahs and then got everyone on Traditional Chinese Medicine that Definitely Works which is the major form of healthcare in modern day china
mao himself said it was bullshit. good job you fat goony gently caress

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

mao himself said it was bullshit. good job you fat goony gently caress

was this before or after he got rid of all the doctors because they might make him look bad?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

blamegame posted:

the concept of labor aristocracy actually makes a lot of sense to me like intuitively

well Trump's gonna wipe out the labor aristocracy, are we sure he never posted in LF?

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

so this second page is implying that mao was bad now?

who am i supposed to believe??

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

best revolution: possibly haitain?

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Zyla posted:

r o f l m a o

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Zyla posted:

mao is very very good from what i hear!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mao was a brilliant poet, leader, a revolutionary mind in the development of guerilla warfare. He's also the best reason why you shouldn't let artists become Head of State.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Mao was a brilliant poet, leader, a revolutionary mind in the development of guerilla warfare. He's also the best reason why you shouldn't let artists become Head of State.

artists and entertainers are the worst leaders its true

maybe there's some historical example of a good one but i cant think of any

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

blamegame posted:

artists and entertainers are the worst leaders its true

maybe there's some historical example of a good one but i cant think of any

Nero, D'Annunzio, Mao - all bad

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

D'Annunzio made himself the Duce of Fiume, and then immediately declared war on Italy with no army, navy, artillery, or really any weapons.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

blamegame posted:

best revolution: possibly haitain?

Well it did literally kill all the white people

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

uh are you for sure because i can think of another

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

pener kropotkin just thinks mao is worse than hitler, nothing wrong with that :twisted:

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Mao's idea of New Democracy was uncool and bad. Deng Xiaoping was more of a natural successor than people care to admit seeing as Mao left many factories in the hands of capitalists

And then of course GLF and the cultural revolution were unmitigated disasters

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fallen Hamprince posted:

uh are you for sure because i can think of another

Hitler wasn't an artist HE WAS A HACK!!!

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

bad art is still art

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

If Hitler was an artist then so am I. The forums are my canvas.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

also how are we on the second page of a mtw thread without that sweet, sweet hate amerikkka beat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsOMEUamYkc

signed, ez 2dance2

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

consumed by normies posted:

also how are we on the second page of a mtw thread without that sweet, sweet hate amerikkka beat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsOMEUamYkc

signed, ez 2dance2

I knew something was missing

gently caress yeah I'm the agitation

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Jose posted:

they spend less % of their GDP on healthcare than the us and the uk despite having a bajillion more people than both, ya chauvinist dumbfuck

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
"i get all my ideas about china from gbs threads" - a smart person

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Fiction posted:

they spend less % of their GDP on healthcare than the us and the uk despite having a bajillion more people than both, ya chauvinist dumbfuck

hmmm

hmmmmmmm

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Fiction i don't think the ginseng extract is really working as a treatment for your awful posts, you should maybe see a real doctor about your crippling brain problems

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

If TCM actually is the predominant form of medicine in mainland China, something which I'm not saying is true, it would follow that they spend less per capita as ginger root and tadpoles or w/e shouldn't actually be that expensive, the occasional rhino horn excepted

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Fiction i don't think the ginseng extract is really working as a treatment for your awful posts, you should maybe see a real doctor about your crippling brain problems

the argument against socialized systems is always "economies of scale are hard/impossible" but china manages to have a system that serves a much bigger population more efficiently. hence why it's dumb to make blanket statements about a country of like a billion and a half people when the most contact you've had with it is laughing at the funny china pic's thread from the UK

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

it's also possible they spend less as a % of gdp because the quality of care is worse, rather than because the ccp has unlocked the secret to healthcare

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Their life expectancy isn't as good as ours but considering where they were at in 1949 it's really leaps and bounds.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Fiction posted:

the argument against socialized systems is always "economies of scale are hard/impossible" but china manages to have a system that serves a much bigger population more efficiently. hence why it's dumb to make blanket statements about a country of like a billion and a half people when the most contact you've had with it is laughing at the funny china pic's thread from the UK

mainland health care is extremely 'efficient' in that poor people die quickly because chinese health insurance doesnt cover the full cost of treatment

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Fiction posted:

Their life expectancy isn't as good as ours but considering where they were at in 1949 it's really leaps and bounds.

pretty close though, iirc-like 75 v 79 at birth

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Annual Prophet posted:

pretty close though, iirc-like 75 v 79 at birth

That too. It has its serious issues, some of which which the US shares (gently caress u canadians) but that level of improvement over the last couple decades is really something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Fiction posted:

That too. It has its serious issues, some of which which the US shares (gently caress u canadians) but that level of improvement over the last couple decades is really something

It's entirely nutrition related though, old people are the first to die during famines for example. That is a great achievement for China given the state of the country in 1934 tho.

• Locked thread