Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Problem description:

I recently purchased high speed fiber optic in my home and my router does broadcast at 5ghz however I cannot access the network. My Laptop and PC both cannot see the network that I've named as my 5GHZ. Both Laptop and computer have Network Cards that are 802.11n

Laptop

comm atheros ar956x wireless adapter

Desktop

Tenda W311Mi Wireless N Pico USB 2.0 Adapter

Both seem to be able to see according the specs I am reading 5GHZ Networks

Attempted fixes: What have you tried to do to resolve the problem?

Device Manager but no option for turning on to 5ghz

Tried AT and T tech support they did not help

I'm going to Microcenter and buying a 802.11ac adapter.

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem?

No

Operating system: Windows 10 (normal laptop) ; Windows 10 Pro
System specs:

Toshiba Laptop

Lenovo Desktop

United States

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes/No

Yes

Edit:

Updated Okay I got a cheap D-Link Dual Band for 20 bucks USB connection. Would it be worth it to invest in a PCIE Dual Band card I am getting around 100mb per second however it still isn't hitting huge speeds.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Cheap Wireless-N adapters are 2.4Ghz only, if you have decent Internet it absolutely makes good sense to buy good Wireless-AC adapters if you care about having a good experience.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Alereon posted:

Cheap Wireless-N adapters are 2.4Ghz only, if you have decent Internet it absolutely makes good sense to buy good Wireless-AC adapters if you care about having a good experience.

Yeah I went out and got a Asus 802.11ac Dual Band Wireless Adapter. USB AC55.

I'm testing it out and it's consistently getting speeds of 200mbs , however there has to be a bottleneck somewhere because it's rated for up to 867 and I'm using it through a USB 3.0 port. I did get a message though stating my drivers for USB 3.0 may be out of date? Would upgrading them get rid of that bottleneck?

I could install a PCI-E card but I wanted the ability to take this with me if I went somewhere.

I am using AT & T Fiber which is really great.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Make sure there's a clear line of sight between your antennae and the router; modern 5ghz routers use beamforming, which benefits greatly from line of sight.

Use an app like WiFi Analyzer for Android to see what channels local networks that may be interfering are on, and switch your router's channel to a less crowded one. Shouldn't be AS big an issue on 5ghz, but worth checking into.

All Wireless AC is not equal; knowing the exact AC spec/model of the router would be handy

• Locked thread