Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gungriffon: Eurasian Conflict kicks a lot of rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcufC6XPzNo

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Plebian Parasite posted:

The saturn has the best version of the original rayman, if you're into classic platforming.

bug! was p cool i liked how the camera and stuff shifted. also you got infinite lives by punching in BABY on the controller

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

installed pseudo saturn and now im downloading 90 saturn isos

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it took me like 10 tries but I finally nailed the swap

Tested a few isos and its all working!!! This is loving awesome, my friend is coming over later to play alpha 2 and bomberman :cheers:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I haven't played them since, but I thought Guardian Heroes and Dragon Force were really cool back then.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

it took me like 10 tries but I finally nailed the swap

Tested a few isos and its all working!!! This is loving awesome, my friend is coming over later to play alpha 2 and bomberman :cheers:

Nice. I've been meaning to do this. What cart did you use for it?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

Nice. I've been meaning to do this. What cart did you use for it?

Action Replay 4M Plus. You can still get new in box ones for 20 to 30 bucks https://www.amazon.com/Action-Replay-4M-Plus-enhancement-sega/dp/B008FPMBNG

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Can't get the Saturn version of Quake to boot I really wanna see how bad it is

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Maria Mode is really fun, shame it's stuck on this platform. I wanna see the new area too

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Action Replay 4M Plus. You can still get new in box ones for 20 to 30 bucks https://www.amazon.com/Action-Replay-4M-Plus-enhancement-sega/dp/B008FPMBNG

Nice. How difficult was the process?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

Nice. How difficult was the process?

Getting the disc swap timed right is really hard but I have a Model 2, on Model 1's I think it's way way more lenient and easy to time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Beat Sotn again for the hell of it but I forgot to check out the exclusive area oops

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Getting the disc swap timed right is really hard but I have a Model 2, on Model 1's I think it's way way more lenient and easy to time.

Hmm, I think I have a Model 2. I think I'll order an action replay and try it soon

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

In Training posted:

Once you get the action replay, the timing is really easy because the first swap can occur any time you're on the pro action replay screen. Doesn't require timing and you can get the cd to stop spinning too. I have used the swap trick on the same console since the n64 came out, i xan tell you all about it and if you do it correctly it wont harm the console.

Also, batsugun

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 6, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Once you get the action replay, the timing is really easy because the first swap can occur any time you're on the pro action replay screen.

drat why didn't anybody ever say this in any youtube tutorials I saw

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Apparently people go mongo and burn up the disk motor and swear it off before they figured it out. So the way a saturn boots up: checks file size, why you use burned disk first, then the par fakes the region code. So its just stalled there on the menu screen. The cd motor is off and just spinning on momentum. So without doing anything reguarding timing, you can do the first swap here without hurting a thing. Then it checks the security ring and parks. You swap the fake in while the lazer parks and the cd is just idling. So now the fake boots. Thats the only time you need to time it, but its nearly a 10 second window just do it before it starts speeding up. If you do it carefully, there is no chance you burn out the motor, but lots of boards talk about swapping but never do it and discourage doing because they are apes. This is for the round button saturns. The real trick is watch it boot with the lid open a couple times before trying it

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot
Radiant Silvergun

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

The second revision of american saturns just let you run burned CDs without any outside software, which really owns. I bought one on ebay for liek 55 dollars and it came with the normal controller, 3d controller, nights and xmas nights, but xmas nights was scratched to poo poo and didnt work. but i instantly burned a bunch of games and can confirm that the saturn is an incredible system. my faves are dragon force, radiant silvergun, magic knight rayearth, princess crown, darkstalkers, the shining games were p good, guardian force, sexy parodius, guardian heroes, and panzer dragoon

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Snatcher was on the saturn right?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Only in Japanese

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Only in Japan. The English one is on Sega CD

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Neat

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

holy poo poo this owns

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

Gungriffon: Eurasian Conflict kicks a lot of rear end.

i don't get why they don't make customizable big robot games any more

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Saturn has an amazing library to be honest

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

i don't get why they don't make customizable big robot games any more

Its so weird that the genre died once controllers actually started having enough buttons to control the things sanely. But its probably also because mecha anime isn't a dominant genre anymore and I imagine a lot of the developers of the 80s/90s jumping off from that inspiration

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Doctor Robonik's Mean Bean Machine

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

:] i like to read post :]
Kirby's Avalanche

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

Its so weird that the genre died once controllers actually started having enough buttons to control the things sanely. But its probably also because mecha anime isn't a dominant genre anymore and I imagine a lot of the developers of the 80s/90s jumping off from that inspiration

you might be right.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Definitely want to echo Die Hard Arcade. Play that

Ethnic Hairstyles
May 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz620bPfR90 congrats op

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

In Training posted:

Once the action replay arrives I can start just burning CDRs and playing whatever I want so please send me some Saturn recs, the only saturn game Ive ever played was Enemy Zero on an emulator (on my list to finish on the actual hardware at some point). Also good multiplayer games would be welcome.
radiant silvergun, panzer dragoon and die hard arcade. fighters megamix is also fun if you want to watch a car beat the poo poo out of a virtua fighter character

In Training posted:

Can't get the Saturn version of Quake to boot I really wanna see how bad it is
it's a very weird port, i'm going to quote a big dumb effort post i did about it in a grey forum:

quote:

PalleteSwappedNinja posted:

Powerslave/Exhumed was made by a studio called Lobotomy Software and they were long-touted as one of the few studios that really knew the Saturn hardware well and one that could use the hardware to its fullest potential, and Powerslave is usually cited as an example of one such game - it's somewhat obscure, it's ahead of its time in many ways and the game is better on Saturn than it is on PSX, although that has as much to do with the design of the game between versions as anything else. (There's also a PC version but it's a totally different game on a different engine and it's not worth talking about.)
Lobotomy went on to use their technical successes with Powerslave to successfully pitch Saturn ports of Quake and Duke Nukem 3D, using the argument that it'd be easier to rebuild the games for their Saturn-proven "Slavedriver Engine" than to shoehorn the PC game engines onto the Saturn. It probably wasn't easier. It was certainly more expensive, at any rate. And the end results were certainly mixed.

Quake is a pretty valiant effort. Everything just kind of feels off, with level designs being tweaked to reduce detail, complexity and the amount of stuff you can generally see at any given time, the player movement and AI characteristics being different on account of the different engine, and all the sounds being edited to be half the length (with varying degrees of gracefulness). There's definitely a level of love in the port, though - the secret levels have all been replaced for technical reasons with new, original maps with additional visual effects and features like rain and a, uh, Pokemon-style minigame, and you can really feel the effort put into what's sadly a strange, not-quite-right version of Quake.

The problems in Quake are exacerbated with Duke Nukem 3D. The original game's 2.5D environments have been sloppily translated to a polygonial 3D engine, movement and AI feels very different from the PC game's, sounds are shortened and twiddled, you have to pause the game whenever you want to use of toggle any of Duke's many inventory items, and the only console-exclusive level (advertised on the front of the US box as a "NEW EXCLUSIVE SATURN-ONLY LEVEL!") is a joke level by the engine programmer where you're carried by a crane through a toilet factory, then dropped in a giant toilet. Which, as it turns out, was a pretty good metaphor for the life and times of Lobotomy Software - carried as heroes through the Saturn's western lifespan, then sent right down the S-bend the moment they tried to move to more successful platforms where Sega wasn't there to be their publisher.

mycophobia posted:

Only in Japanese
so was policenauts, there's a translation patch for that version that uses the script from the ps1 translation patch and covers the saturn-exclusive stuff

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How does it control with just a DPad? Is it like, hold a button to move your aim, let go to control your body?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

How does it control with just a DPad? Is it like, hold a button to move your aim, let go to control your body?

I looked it up and yeah that's how it works. You hold X to aim up/down. It supports the 3D control pad too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Pablo Gigante posted:

I looked it up and yeah that's how it works. You hold X to aim up/down. It supports the 3D control pad too.
there's also a cheat code for an alternate 3D Control Pad scheme that uses the face buttons to move and the analog stick to free-aim in an attempt to emulate WSAD + mouse.

lobotomy were weird. the saturn in general was weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
Up until the Dreamcast came out the best versions of Capcom and SNK fighters were always on Saturn, thanks to its ability to use RAM cartridges for expanded memory (a feature that's conveniently built into the AR).

You'll need a Japanese system if you want to play KOF 95 though because it needs its own weird cartridge to work

• Locked thread