Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Dudeguy getting characterization. Bet he's gonna die soon.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Well. That was a thing. It was more brutal than I was expecting, even for "WW1, but with magic". I hope there's going to be another season.

Also the god speech at the end.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

hoobajoo posted:

Being X said he's overworked and can't keep up with the demands of 7 billion people already, so he's clearly not all-powerful the way Jewish/Christian/Muslim God is. He seems somewhere between that and someone like Zeus or a Supreme Kai.

Also this.

He is apparently is Zues, also Odin and Shiki and all those other gods. This is how he appears in the manga (Bearded one is Zeus)

He is a council of mythological gods that interact with each other and decide on courses of action. But they appear to all be aspects of the same being.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
In the LN and manga being X asked the salary man if he had heard about the 10 commandments when wondering why everyone is acting like dicks so i think the idea he is supposed to be old testament god too.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 2, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Iretep posted:

In the LN and manga being X asked the salary man if he had heard about the 10 commandments when wondering why everyone is acting like dicks so i think the idea he is supposed to be old testament god.

He's all of them.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I iirc hear that Being X is slightly less overtly dickish in the LN/Manga. Which is interesting as I think we as the anime audience mostly root for Tanya based on Being X being this Lovecraftian entity.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Honestly i prefer the animes take on Being X, you dont really need to explain his reasons for doing anything.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Yeah, among the various alterations the anime made, I think characterizing Being X as some incredibly All Powerful entity that is also incredibly petty makes for a way more interesting philosophical conflict between it and Tanya.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Yep, the novel/manga Beings are anthropomorphic trash and ditching them made the show much better

Jackard fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 2, 2017

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Golden Battler posted:

Yeah, among the various alterations the anime made, I think characterizing Being X as some incredibly All Powerful entity that is also incredibly petty makes for a way more interesting philosophical conflict between it and Tanya.

Yeah seriously by having Being X possess people to say its words we can empathize with Tanya being up against a supernatural being rather than just think "oh hey I think I used that as a monster in Persona."

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
This was from a couple episodes ago, but why did the smarty glasses officer guy have a sweat drop on his face when talking about the plan to blow up the enemy? Did I miss the part where he's a pacifist of a spy or something?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

MonsterEnvy posted:

He's all of them.

Third time's the charm, or gently caress it no more prophets. One of these has to get people to behave drat it

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

just watched through this

it really felt more like "here's how i would've won ww1 (if i had magic) also i'd be a magical girl" than actually dealing with the conflict between tanya and being x. i didn't care about the war, or her dumb soldiers

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Guy Goodbody posted:

That monologue owned

tanya's manic gurning will never not be a joy to watch

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 2, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

nickmeister posted:

This was from a couple episodes ago, but why did the smarty glasses officer guy have a sweat drop on his face when talking about the plan to blow up the enemy? Did I miss the part where he's a pacifist of a spy or something?

Because Tanya consistently describes victory in terms of total annihilation of the enemy and he's from a military tradition that is only just barely coming around to the modern conception of warfare. Plus she just constantly sounds really happy and enthusiastic about killing people.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

nickmeister posted:

Lets put it this way, Tanya considers him a friend worth having since he has the rare common sense to not want a small child to be in the frontlines. He has been the most prominent person to object any time Tanya is about to get promoted and Tanya assumes its because he has a moral problem with sending children to fight. Of course the reality is that while he does have a problem with that, he also thinks Tanya is insane and doesent want her getting promoted to a higher position where she can lead even more people to their deaths.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Tanya actually hasn't led very many people to their deaths though. I think maybe like 2 of her battalion died or something at most? If any?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Kylra posted:

Tanya actually hasn't led very many people to their deaths though. I think maybe like 2 of her battalion died or something at most? If any?

Rerugen first made note of Tanya when she was 9 in officer school and she tried to execute a soldier under her training. Most of the higher ups see nothing wrong with this since that was what an officer is supposed to do when a soldier disobeys an order too many times, in fact its kind of a bonus since she proved she can go full commisar at 9 years of age. She also keeps writing papers about the nature of some great war and refers people to just as numbers which bothers Rerugen even more. None of this makes her seem like a monster to anyone else. She is highly respected by people above and under her and she does consistently show she cares about her soldiers. Rerugen is pretty much alone in insisting she is a monster basically. He is mostly paranoid about her true nature, which is why he doesent want her promoting too high. At a high position she would have the power to send troops to their deaths to enact her dream hell on earth, or at least thats Rerugens fears. The reality is Tanya just wants a high position so she can take it easy and not be in the frontlines. MISUNDERSTANDINGS

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
The start of episode 12 talking about the beer hall is such a tease for Tanya overthrowing the government

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_Hall_Putsch

Edit: Any information on the soudntrack (not the OP or ED songs)

Exmond fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 3, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Kylra posted:

Her troops are too valuable. But if she was in charge of battalions of lovely conscripts they would be a diversion for any elite troops I'm sure

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Being concerned about Tanya's sociopathic tendencies is not a "misunderstanding" lol

she'd turn on any of her soldiers in a heartbeat if they stopped being useful tools, and wouldn't feel the slightest remorse over it either, which is exactly what got her killed in her previous incarnation

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
She didn't go :commissar: on the dude suffering from PTSD.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

it's possible that Being X hit on a good idea, and her experiences in this life are having a positive effect on her, but there's still plenty of evidence to her worse side

it's also possible that's she's just utterly self-interested and pragmatic, rather than or at least before being a sadist, and commissaring the guy wouldn't have actually advanced her in any way

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's possible that Being X hit on a good idea, and her experiences in this life are having a positive effect on her,

And it only took a couple million mutilated soldier corpses to (maybe) save Tanya's soul. Good work, Being X!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ViggyNash posted:

And it only took a couple million mutilated soldier corpses to (maybe) save Tanya's soul. Good work, Being X!

It depends if they are all p-zombies and she's not.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

It already obtained faith and praise from them, as far as it's concerned those people are irrelevant in its eyes. This also kind of reinforces a reason to root for Tanya, being X is influencing key events where countless people die, all to show up one Japanese Business man.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Being concerned about Tanya's sociopathic tendencies is not a "misunderstanding" lol

she'd turn on any of her soldiers in a heartbeat if they stopped being useful tools, and wouldn't feel the slightest remorse over it either, which is exactly what got her killed in her previous incarnation

The misunderstanding is Rerugen assumes Tanya is a jingo, when she is actually just a peace loving sociopath. But i think shes already snapped and probably turning into a literal jingo to spite god so maybe its not that much of a misunderstanding anymore.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kylra posted:

Because her soldiers don't contradict her, and also because they're her precious human shields (though the anime places less emphasis upon this) and also because she values them as useful human resources. Contrast with the two episode 1 guys who complained about her and were deliberately sent to die in a bunker.

Annointed posted:

Yeah seriously by having Being X possess people to say its words we can empathize with Tanya being up against a supernatural being rather than just think "oh hey I think I used that as a monster in Persona."
On the other hand you've gotta keep in mind that in those other versions her being "up against" being X is really one of Tanya's many misunderstandings. X, by and large, doesn't antagonize her, in fact she's technically his apostle in that era. His only acts regarding her up until Mary Sue are reincarnating Tanya, giving her a relic and forcing her to pray when she uses it, none of which are against Tanya from X's point of view. X is having her learn faith and drum up faith in others.

Chev fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 7, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
AmaLee does her version of Jingo Jungle

But who is the white haired girl? Is it Viktoriya? And if it is, why does she look sublimely crazy?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's LeeLee herself.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

it's me

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

How does this show not have a page on the Internet Movie Firearms Database?

belated but someone actually made one on the day you posted that http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Saga_of_Tanya_the_Evil

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I think Rerugen's apprehension with Tanya is that her viciousness will rub off on high command. They already used her essay she authored on how to get away with blasting civilians to hell. The one he probably read while he was also at the academy and colored his early impression of her.
I didn't get why he was so worried about the big operation as it was happening, but looking back it makes sense. It was a surround and a surrender, it was a complete slaughter. They even showed flamethrower units there to make it more cruel. Even in the last episode one of the two generals takes the lesson that they didn't cause enough attrition. With hindsight of sorts Tanya knows that a modern war ends when a country cannot materially support it anymore. But to imagine combat as a endless slaughter until a country's economy and population capitulate is terrifying.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's because he's seen her in the pursuit of fulfilling her role regardless of the human side of things as well as the fact she's written essays on world war and how to bend the rules in urban environments to get away with civilian deaths.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER
I caught up and finished this last night. drat this was a neat show.
Was this supposed to be a Split-cour or do we have no news on more Tanya?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Considering overlord is getting a second season soon and i think Tanya has the same publisher then its pretty likely a season two will appear in a year or two.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Ugh I wish I had watched this along with y'all back when this was airing. Good stuff. I like the alternate history parts; I did a bunch of reading on WW1 back for its 100th anniversary, and it was interesting to see the sorts of things they paid attention to, like the unencrypted comms (which actually happened to the Russians early on in the war).

The shorts were cute and fun. I hope it gets a second season and might check out the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
People seem to think there'll be a second season next year.

• Locked thread