Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

I am known as the Queen of Delayed Reactions for a reason, heh.
Hi, I need help and don't know what to do. I had to have my 16 year old cat put to sleep on Friday the 13th and now my 18 year old cat needs help but I exhausted all my resources trying to save Zuki and no one will work out any payment arrangements.

The problem with Skooter is she has all of a sudden become unable to use her back legs. She still eats and drinks and goes to the bathroom, but she's either having to drag herself or sometimes gets lucky and can very slowly wobble around which usually ends up with her falling over. She lives indoors so she was not hit by a car and didn't have any kind of accident. She does not appear to be in pain at all.

I'm just an emotional wreck! Zuki passed in my arms peacefully, I was laid off work a month ago, my Dad was diagnosed with Dementia on Thanksgiving, I have a 2nd degree burn on my wrist and now this with Skooter. I literally can't take any more! But I absolutely can't handle watching Skooter drag herself around any longer, I just don't know how to get her in to a vet. I was denied Care Credit. I love her so much and she's had a great life, but other than her legs she appears to be fine and I don't want to put her down too.

Any ideas on what could be going on with her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Make her a little pvc wheelchair, maybe? It shouldn't be but maybe $10-$20. It could be anything with sudden hind paralysis.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm so sorry for your loss of Zuki, Delayed Reaction -- not to mention the other hardships. :( I wish I had some good advice or information for you, but as Fluffy Bunnies said, sudden paralysis could really be anything.

I know the condolences and well-wishes of an internet stranger are pretty worthless in this situation, but I want to convey mine regardless.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I'm so sorry. Any updates? :ohdear:

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm so sorry for your loss of Zuki, Delayed Reaction -- not to mention the other hardships. :( I wish I had some good advice or information for you, but as Fluffy Bunnies said, sudden paralysis could really be anything.

I know the condolences and well-wishes of an internet stranger are pretty worthless in this situation, but I want to convey mine regardless.

Trust me, your kind words and condolences mean the world to me. He was always happy and by my side. It's been hard to sleep because he always slept right by my head. Falling to sleep and waking up to his purring was a huge comfort to me. Especially since my son left for Grad school 3 years ago and I got so depressed that most days i could only get out of bed because I knew they needed to be fed. He is buried in his favorite spot in my courtyard and it's a huge comfort to pass by his memorial several times a day and talk to him. Thank you again!!

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I'm so sorry. Any updates? :ohdear:
Skooter:

I will be getting Skooter to the vet as soon as possible. Although I fear I know what they will say about an 18-20 year old cat.

Zuki in better times:

Zuki's grave:

Zuki's Angel cat memorial statue(it's on his grave, he'd love it!):

Saira
Feb 18, 2006

Nudibranchastic
Your kitty dragging his legs might be a blood clot aka Feline Aortic Thromboembolism. I would google that and look at info on it and see if it helps you.

RIP your little one. Cat family is best family and I hope you are able to help Skooter asap!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

This is beautiful. :)

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

Saira posted:

Your kitty dragging his legs might be a blood clot aka Feline Aortic Thromboembolism. I would google that and look at info on it and see if it helps you.

RIP your little one. Cat family is best family and I hope you are able to help Skooter asap!

Thank you! I'll look into that for Skooter now. It's killing me to watch her try to walk. I hope I can help Skooter too because I'm grieving unbelievably over my sweet Zuki and I'm not sure how I'd handle losing them both so close together.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Thank you both. As soon as Spring is here I'm putting a border around it, more rocks, and planting flowers around the border. I'm glad he's so close by. But drat I miss him. It's gonna take awhile

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

Saira posted:

I could not understand this, but I wouldn't think the outcome for an 18+ year old cat sounds good. My heart is literally breaking. But I'm going to try to find a way to try. Thanks again

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
While it good be anything, there are some treatments with the vet you could try 'just to see if it's one of the easier to treat kinds' that are pretty cheap. Steroids would be something that shouldn't be too expensive that would treat any cause related to inflammation. They could improve quality of life for a time, even if the root cause was something like a tumor pressing on the spinal cord.

The vet might be able to also tell you something about the condition to give you more information - like if there's any chance the kitty is in pain, if there's other worrisome signs, etc. Continence is a good things, but I'm sure there's another things they could assess that wouldn't require expensive tests. If you are honest with your vet about where you are financially, I would hope any compassionate vet would offer you these modest services for the cost of a vet visit.

Dragging isn't good for long periods of time though, as it could damage the skin and cause infection.

Delayed Reaction
Mar 18, 2009

pandaid posted:

While it good be anything, there are some treatments with the vet you could try 'just to see if it's one of the easier to treat kinds' that are pretty cheap. Steroids would be something that shouldn't be too expensive that would treat any cause related to inflammation. They could improve quality of life for a time, even if the root cause was something like a tumor pressing on the spinal cord.

The vet might be able to also tell you something about the condition to give you more information - like if there's any chance the kitty is in pain, if there's other worrisome signs, etc. Continence is a good things, but I'm sure there's another things they could assess that wouldn't require expensive tests. If you are honest with your vet about where you are financially, I would hope any compassionate vet would offer you these modest services for the cost of a vet visit.

Dragging isn't good for long periods of time though, as it could damage the skin and cause infection.
Thank you for the kind advice. I've called and even went to vets in person and none of them would help without payment up front. Even the place I had my Zuki put to sleep on the 13th was like, sorry, can't help without money up front.

I did get the number of animal services who now have a vet on staff and as soon as I deal with the 2nd degree burn appt on my wrist/hand/arm in the morning I'll call and call until I find her some help. She's not able to get to her potty in time anymore. All of this is piling up on me and my own pain is making it hard to focus or think or sleep. So I'm really hoping tomorrow is better. She's still eating and drinking like a champ. Sigh, this sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hope things are going ok still... I know how exhausting it can be to take care of a pet that has difficulty getting around.

• Locked thread