Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I started watching it through NBC.com in November or so and it's a really great show. I love the mood and feel of it. I really like the music. I'm only partway through the first season. Any of you guys fans? I bet this is probably not news to most of you.

Hopefully I can catch the Blu-ray set on sale sometime so I can get it in better quality and without the ads, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I'd say I'm a fan of Miami Vice. Watched through it for the first time a few years back and I remember liking the majority of it even if some episodes felt a little weak. Need to rewatch it sometime. It was on Netflix for a while but they must have taken it down since then. It is on Hulu but it looks like only season 1 through 4 are there for whatever reason, no season 5.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I liked it as a kid. I was disappointed when they went back to NY and the episode focused on Crockett. NY was Tubbs' home territory and it would have been nice to have the episode rotate around him. The show was initially a balance between the two and eventually PMT just became Tonto to Crocket's Lone Ranger.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
the first 2.5 seasons are really great and then the decline starts and when it gets rolling it is BRUTAL.

Still, I'd fist fight anyone who ever claims it didn't deserve the attention it got in the beginning.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

It airs nightly on the diginet COZI-TV (it's usually on an NBC O&O as a subchannel) but your mileage might vary.
You can check HERE for your television market and see where Cozi-TV might be residing in your neck of the woods.
Some cable carriers carry it too.

They air the show in order... no idea if they air the entire series but since NBC owns the rights and Cozi is owned by NBC there's nothing stopping them from doing so.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Robnoxious posted:

It airs nightly on the diginet COZI-TV (it's usually on an NBC O&O as a subchannel) but your mileage might vary.
You can check HERE for your television market and see where Cozi-TV might be residing in your neck of the woods.
Some cable carriers carry it too.

They air the show in order... no idea if they air the entire series but since NBC owns the rights and Cozi is owned by NBC there's nothing stopping them from doing so.

Is it true an old fashioned antenna will work as an HD antenna, too?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

CharlesM posted:

Is it true an old fashioned antenna will work as an HD antenna, too?
Absolutely.

The technology hasn't changed on the receiving end since the early 40's.
Only the way it's delivered has.
It's either you get the signal or you don't... there is no snowy medium like back in the analog days.
I suggest you get those ears as high as you can preferably in a window with a line of sight to the towers yer trying to pick up.
It's a hit and miss concept, you have to scan and rescan many time to find the sweet spot.

Your tv also dictates what you may or may not get.
Some tvs have better tuners than other.
Also important to note if the channel is VHF (RF 2-13 and of that only RF channels 7-13 are practical... anything in the RF 2-6 range are near impossible because of signal noise from just about every electronic thing we use on this planet including cars) those channels need the old school two dipole antenna (commonly called bunnyears). UHF band (RF 14-69) are a lot more forgiving and easier to "catch".

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 26, 2017

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Miami Vice was incredible. It was also pulpy and stupid at times, depending on who hammed it up with guest star acting or the directors who tried (and failed) to be artsy.

Some of the changes throughout the years helped the show (Olmos), other's didn't.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Miami Vice gave us a Murderers' Row of future acting talents - hell it even introduced the world to 'pre-Moonlighting' Bruce Willis & Dennis Farina

https://youtu.be/wpCPDP_4N3I

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Miami Vice is a great show and I love re-watching some of it every once in a while. It's a very dark show contrasted by the bright Miami colors. The show had great visuals, great music from Jan Hammer and popular artists at the time, it showed off contemporary fashions, it had the amazing architecture in Miami. It's just an amazing show. The look and feel of the show was something that had never been seen before. Every man wanted to be Sonny Crockett. They even sold electric razors pre-set so you can shave and get the Crockett stubble.The show was really a phenomenon.

I think the real issue with the show is that it was sort of hamstrung by what TV could get away with back then.

There's a blu-ray set out and I definitely recommend checking it out.

Pro-clicks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q5LpU1w7KI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfgf9HatIHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HmuFuRPv6o

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 26, 2017

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
This show taught me that art deco furniture, no matter how flimsy, could stop the bullets of a mac 10 machine gun.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CharlesM posted:

I started watching it through NBC.com in November or so and it's a really great show. I love the mood and feel of it. I really like the music. I'm only partway through the first season. Any of you guys fans? I bet this is probably not news to most of you.

Hopefully I can catch the Blu-ray set on sale sometime so I can get it in better quality and without the ads, etc.

Amazon has the complete series on BR for about $55 ($31 for the DVD).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mister Kingdom posted:

Amazon has the complete series on BR for about $55 ($31 for the DVD).

I got the bluray when the price went down to $48. It's not a perfect release (the reviews even say so). But why can't they have chapters man?? Each episode has 3 chapters: the beginning, the opening credits, and the closing credits. That's just great!! How hard would it be to at least put it on the act changes (commercial break)? I really hate it if I hit the wrong button and it goes all the way to the end. Oh well.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Dang, that's pretty basic functionality they're missing.

I grabbed the first 2 seasons on DVD a few years ago. Was amazing seeing how many bands just show up in S1 out of nowhere. Love it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Edward James Olmos owns.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

He owns but god drat the ninja episode is one of the worst cringey things I have ever seen.

Yeah I agree the first 2.5 seasons were solid.

My one nitpick with it was how virtually every episode ended in a bloody shootout. Love the overall style, and some of the cheesy quirky stuff was kind of endearing.

I stumbled across this thread while looking to see if anyone was still talking about Law & Order (SVU). I guess it's the direct enduring legacy of Miami Vice.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I haven't seen this since the original airing, glad to hear it holds up.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

teethgrinder posted:

He owns but god drat the ninja episode is one of the worst cringey things I have ever seen.

Yeah I agree the first 2.5 seasons were solid.

My one nitpick with it was how virtually every episode ended in a bloody shootout. Love the overall style, and some of the cheesy quirky stuff was kind of endearing.

I stumbled across this thread while looking to see if anyone was still talking about Law & Order (SVU). I guess it's the direct enduring legacy of Miami Vice.

BUSHIDO

Also

*freeze frame of somebody getting shot or killing themselves*
Executive Producer
Michael Mann

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I watched the clip of Miami Vice that Lasagna Cat did an homage to

I'm seriously considering looking at a few episodes but I always thought it was the Baywatch of cop shows

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

vermin posted:

I'm seriously considering looking at a few episodes but I always thought it was the Baywatch of cop shows

No.

Hey I'm watching an episode with Bill Paxton.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

vermin posted:

Oh yeah

https://vimeo.com/205507455

I uploaded that clip in 720p, although the audio got messed up. I had to recompress it to get below 500MB for Vimeo as that's the max you can upload per week on a free account (& 720p). I can try uploading it again later. YouTube & DailyMotion both take it down instantly.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
*introduces old friend / friendly cop in prologue*

Oh great, who is dying today?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3-n3TMzL6o

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The first 2 seasons at least, it's a darker show than it is given credit for. There's plenty of times where Crockett/Tubbs lose. It became a sort of joke because of the latter seasons, and it is a shame what happened, but it shouldn't detract from what happens early on.

While you're at it. People should check out CRIME STORY. Michael Mann has said it's the show he's proudest of, and it is fantastic and massively underseen.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Up to the fourth season now, still like it a lot, BUT, it went from a poignant episode about AIDS & homosexuality (very controversial in 1987)... to UFOs with James brown. I don't know if I can even bother finishing this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh hey, Crockett is getting married! But, she's only a guest star... hmm.. Nothing bad is going to happen here. lol

• Locked thread