Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Problem description: Hopped on my PC yesterday, and noticed that all shortcuts pointing to my 4TB WD HDD (WD4003FZEX) were broken. Pulled up 'My Computer' and noticed that the entire drive letter was no longer showing up. Checked Device manager and BIOS and it shows up there. Then went Disk Management and noticed this:

My 500Gb SSD that loads my OS is fine, but DISK 1, which is my 4TB is now showing as Dynamic, Invalid, and when I right click it an choose "reactive Disk" the error in the above screenshot is then what comes up.

So I checked windows Event Viewer to see when this started, and saw these, and they go on for HOURS (while I was asleep and then at work):

At this point I assumed its just a failed HDD and would have moved on, however, I downloaded the WD LifeGuard utility and ran both the Quick and Extended SMART tests and both, to my surprise, PASSED.

I tried a data recovery program like 'WonderShare Data Recovery', and it is able to see the drive, and to detect and recover some data, but only about 1/3 of what should be on there, though I can hear the drive spinning normally once something is able to access it. So now I'm not sure what this is about. Is this a physically good drive and the issue is data corruption? What from? Is there any way to repair the partition and get everything working again without formatting the drive? Also why does a 4TB HDD show as "4001GB" in WD Diagnostic, (or 4000.79GB), could that be related to this issue?

Attempted fixes: Aside from from running SMART test and checking if data can be recovered from drive, I have not moved to attempt to fix issue for fear of data loss, since all fixes I've seen online involve formatting drive, or changing drive from 'Dynamic' to 'Basic' which also appears to delete all data on the drive.

Recent changes: About 15 minutes prior to the NTFS errors in the event log started appearing, I had begun a 10GB update to "World of Warship" and let the computer run overnight to complete it. No other changes were made before or during that time, and this is how things were the next day when I went to check on the update. Windows updates are DISABLED.

System specs:
  • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
  • Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz
  • ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO (SOCKET 1150)
  • 16.0GB DDR3 @ 1199MHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (Gigabyte)
  • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB
  • Western Digital WDC WD4003FZEX <- drive loving up

Thanks to whoever takes a look at this and can offer some insight.

Jesustheastronaut! fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
You've rebooted the system and verified the drive's cables are securely connected at both ends, right? Post a screenshot of the Crystal Disk Info (portable edition ZIP) window for your system drive.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

The Ultimate Boot CD also has vendor specific HDD tests that are a bit hit or miss with newer motherboards and drives, but also has the potential to give you MUCH more information than just S.M.A.R.T. will.

• Locked thread