Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
I have a Dell 2408FPW monitor manufacted in 2009. It used to work fine until a few weeks ago, when it started doing the following:

1) it will work normally for a random amount of time - can be just a few minutes, can be a couple of hours at the most, usually less than that;
2) it then shuts the image off, but strangely enough remains powered on;
3) the power button becomes unresponsive then - the only way to TRY to get it working again is to physically remove the power cable from the power adapter in the back, then plug it back in - at this point, two things can happen:
a) the power light turns on and then immediately turns off, no image either way - then power cable then needs to be removed and I have to try again several times, getting the exact same behavior, until finally (and usually after waiting a while before plugging the power cable again),
b) the power light turns on and then the monitor turns on as if powered for the first time, even showing the Dell logo rather than immediately going back to the image that was being displayed when it failed.

Things I have tried - and discarded so far as issues, given that the problem persists:

a) different power cables;
b) different graphic cards on the same computer;
c) different computers attached to the monitor;
d) different inputs (tried DisplayPort, HDMI, even DVI-D, same results);
d) cleaning (externally) the power connectors in the monitor power supply;
e) resetting the monitor to factory settings.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

DoctorOfLawls posted:

I have a Dell 2408FPW monitor manufacted in 2009. It used to work fine until a few weeks ago, when it started doing the following:

1) it will work normally for a random amount of time - can be just a few minutes, can be a couple of hours at the most, usually less than that;
2) it then shuts the image off, but strangely enough remains powered on;
3) the power button becomes unresponsive then - the only way to TRY to get it working again is to physically remove the power cable from the power adapter in the back, then plug it back in - at this point, two things can happen:
a) the power light turns on and then immediately turns off, no image either way - then power cable then needs to be removed and I have to try again several times, getting the exact same behavior, until finally (and usually after waiting a while before plugging the power cable again),
b) the power light turns on and then the monitor turns on as if powered for the first time, even showing the Dell logo rather than immediately going back to the image that was being displayed when it failed.

Sound sort of similar to how my old LG display (manufactured in 2007) failed in November 2011.

In my case, the problem was bad capacitors in the power board inside the display. As the power board would fail to supply stable power to the rest of the electronics of the display, the display would go into some sort of fail-safe mode. The only way to get out of that was to physically remove the power cable - just as in your case.

The bad news is, if that is the problem, it will get worse, until eventually the display won't start up at all.

The good news is, if you are handy with a soldering iron, it might be easy to fix.

When my display failed, I was freshly hooked on very recently released Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. So I promptly got myself a new display... but I managed to avoid going all :black101: on the old one. I found a service manual for it from the depths of internet, followed instructions in it to non-destructively open up the display, and noticed two bulging capacitors on the power board: a typical case of capacitor plague.

I ordered some replacement capacitors from badcaps.net for peanuts, replaced them, and then reassembled the display. And hey, it worked!

• Locked thread