Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Conch Shell Corp posted:

too bad the background checks put in place by the dems in the states the anarchists and communists live in prevent people with a history of mental illness from owning guns lol

republicans already own them though??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

republicans will find ways to prevent undesirable people from owning guns while allowing their core constituency to keep them. i'm not sure what that will entail but some fuckhead in ALEC probably has it covered

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

republicans will find ways to prevent undesirable people from owning guns while allowing their core constituency to keep them. i'm not sure what that will entail but some fuckhead in ALEC probably has it covered

the first step is disguising racial profiling as background checks

it will be billed as sensible anti-terrorism legislation that republicans can get away with because they're republicans and because they'll get the NRA to help them write it and bada-climp-bada-clamp racially specific gun control

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If you see a Hummer and no one is around it is your constitutional duty to at least break some loving taillights or key the poo poo out of it. Same for Trump bumper sticker.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

SpaceGoku posted:

the first step is disguising racial profiling as background checks

it will be billed as sensible anti-terrorism legislation that republicans can get away with because they're republicans and because they'll get the NRA to help them write it and bada-climp-bada-clamp racially specific gun control
not that big of a leap between that and the dems' proposal to not sell guns to people on the no-fly list tbh

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

MLK Jr. would have accomplished far less if not for Malcolm X. Peaceful protest only works if violence is the implicit alternative.

MLK was the carrot and Malcolm X was the stick. So many people do not understand this, much like anything else having to do with the civil rights movement.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
people still called mlk jr violent and concern trolled that he was undermining the civil rights movement

http://www.crmvet.org/docs/60s_crm_public-opinion.pdf

quote:

Do you approve or disapprove of what the 'Freedom Riders' are doing?
22% Approve
61% Disapprove
18% No opinion

DO YOU THINK MASS DEMONSTRATIONS BY NEGROES ARE MORE LIKELY TO HELP OR MORE LIKE
LY TO HURT THE NEGRO'S CAUSE FOR RACIAL EQUALITY?
27% HELP
60% HURT
4% MAKE NO DIFFERENCE (VOL.)
9% NO OPINION

73% NEGROES SHOULD STOP DEMONSTRATIONS
19% HAVE TO CONTINUE
8% DON'T KNOW

Negroes would be better off if they would take advantage of the opportunities th
at have been made available rather than spending so much time protesting.
7% Definitely disagree
11% Probably disagree
30% Probably agree
53% Definitely agree

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

walgreenslatino posted:

All the examples you posted are of movements that failed lmao
Strong argument here

1) Greek left movement: failed

2) South Korean vigils to remove Park: terrible example, still failed

3) Chilean student protests: failed

4) Turkish protests against chauvinistic authoritarianism: failed

And here we have another reason why american protests are useless: the belief that protests can fix things by themselves, and if they can't do that I'M GETTING MY GUN!! THIS WILL SURELY WORK THIS TIME! THOSE PIGS SURELY GONNA BE AFRAI-

a demonstration has limited aims

1) bringing media attention to the specific issue you want to be addressed (note: specific. as in something legislators can vote about)
2) increasing the visibility of your organization
3) recruiting more people to your organization
4) displaying the resources and discipline of your organization; forcing authorities to take your org seriously as a threat to their aims.

if you have no organization, you have no power and nobody has to take you seriously. this won't change even if you grab an AK and cosplay as a revolutionary. and real change involves much more than a demonstration anyway. join an org or STFU.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Protests are only as good as the activists using them, a huge number of people are probably going to the women's March because it's a thing to do, or to get pics for Instagram or Facebook, if you can get 10% of them to get into volunteering or even attending city council meetings or calling their reps it can make a real difference.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Ace of Baes posted:

Protests are only as good as the activists using them, a huge number of people are probably going to the women's March because it's a thing to do, or to get pics for Instagram or Facebook, if you can get 10% of them to get into volunteering or even attending city council meetings or calling their reps it can make a real difference.

protests are also for recruiting members into your secret weather underground terrorist resistance movement

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Cnut the Great posted:

It seems like this is a pretty popular thing to say but there's no actual way to prove it's true.
Proving things is unnecessary when you can just assert them loudly.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

people still called mlk jr violent and concern trolled that he was undermining the civil rights movement

http://www.crmvet.org/docs/60s_crm_public-opinion.pdf
That's interesting. I'd seen the cartoon before, but not the poll. It has the ones you quoted, and then it also has

quote:

Some people feel that in working for equal rights for negroes, Reverend (Martin
Luther) King is moving too fast, others think he is not working fast enough. Wha
t do you think?
8%
He is moving too fast
71%
He is moving at the right speed
21%
He isn't moving fast enough
Which is more or less supportive, surprisingly.

Strudel Man has issued a correction as of 02:45 on Jan 22, 2017

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

jarofpiss posted:

protests are also for recruiting members into your secret weather underground terrorist resistance movement

Yep, first you get your protests, then you find the serious ones and recuit them into your paramilitaries, then you get some real power.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

jarofpiss posted:

protests are also for recruiting fbi spies into your secret weather underground terrorist resistance movement

Fixed

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

well i assume if you're recruiting for your group at a protest you work for the cia

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
if you aren't actively killing anyone who isn't in perfect lockstep with your political ideology then you're aiding and abetting the enemy op

it's civil war 2 out there on the mean streets of the internet

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Is violence an acceptable form of political expression?

Just asking questions, folks

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Man Musk posted:

Is violence an acceptable form of political expression?

Just asking questions, folks

All expression is political and violent, it's just a matter of degrees. But if people stick to words they wont achieve any meaningful progress in our lifetimes.

https://youtu.be/JyhfHQ_7Skg

Trumpenproletariat
Nov 26, 2016

by zen death robot

Fullhouse posted:

peaceful protest is really easy to ignore, is the thing

a rep from some terrible plains state introduced a bill to make it legal to run over protestors if they clog up the highway, too

Is this bad?

Why should someone have their life ruined because they were driving on the highway at legal speed and a bunch of loving retards decided to jump in the way of their vehicle because they didn't win the election?

Trumpenproletariat
Nov 26, 2016

by zen death robot

call to action posted:

Eh, I can kinda understand why people are protesting. The whole "WELL WHY DON'T YOU GET INVOLVED IN POLITICS THEN?!?" argument kinda falls apart when Democrats are 100% cucked both ideologically and logistically and Republicans control all branches of government. Protests are expressions of anger, whether they "work" or not is kinda a pointless discussion, like whether crying "works" to make things better.

What are they protesting tho? Cause I don't see any real organized resistance to capitalism or the status quo, I just see "TRUMP IS A MEANIE" :qq:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Trumpenproletariat posted:

Is this bad?

Why should someone have their life ruined because they were driving on the highway at legal speed and a bunch of loving retards decided to jump in the way of their vehicle because they didn't win the election?

if you make it legal to run over protestors on accident, you also make it legal to run over protestors on purpose hth

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Fullhouse posted:

if you make it legal to run over protestors on accident, you also make it legal to run over protestors on purpose hth

kind of like with police shootings in general :can:

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

not that big of a leap between that and the dems' proposal to not sell guns to people on the no-fly list tbh

yeah it's pretty convenient for republicans

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

fspades posted:

And here we have another reason why american protests are useless: the belief that protests can fix things by themselves, and if they can't do that I'M GETTING MY GUN!! THIS WILL SURELY WORK THIS TIME! THOSE PIGS SURELY GONNA BE AFRAI-

a demonstration has limited aims

1) bringing media attention to the specific issue you want to be addressed (note: specific. as in something legislators can vote about)
2) increasing the visibility of your organization
3) recruiting more people to your organization
4) displaying the resources and discipline of your organization; forcing authorities to take your org seriously as a threat to their aims.

if you have no organization, you have no power and nobody has to take you seriously. this won't change even if you grab an AK and cosplay as a revolutionary. and real change involves much more than a demonstration anyway. join an org or STFU.

not empty quoting

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

greatn posted:

If you see a Hummer and no one is around it is your constitutional duty to at least break some loving taillights or key the poo poo out of it. Same for Trump bumper sticker.

I'm pretty sure all Hummers these days are either kept under a tarp in a garage or broken down. What a poo poo car.

Bolton Hairy-Bore
Jul 31, 2013
to me, it's not so much about violence vs. non-violence, but about passive vs. active protest. passive marching does nothing, while direct action gets the goods

so peaceful protests are largely useless and are frequently harmful especially when the organizers condemn more radical actions. their function is to recuperate movements into non-radical organization that the state can handle and control.

but non-violent direct action can work. it's not "peaceful" because what they call peace is just normalized violence -- the smooth functioning of our hosed up world.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

MLK Jr. would have accomplished far less if not for Malcolm X. Peaceful protest only works if violence is the implicit alternative.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

yes

• Locked thread