Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Is there a way to sell/erase a plot that I haven't seen? Sometimes when trying to complete a quest I build too many of a thing and would like to be able to erase the plots and build another type in order to complete the next quest for more bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Loving it so far, overall it's great! It's basically Nimblebit Does Egg, Inc. But Like With Cities And Stuff and it's good for that. I was expecting something a little different, but was pleasantly surprised by what I got!

The only real overall criticism I have is that I don't know that it quite exactly hits the sweet spot between relaxing idle game and something that you play more intensely. It seems like there's either a little too much to do or not quite enough. Maybe the pacing changes a bit once I get somewhere past like, City 5, but there's a lot of hurry up and wait but mostly hurry. One thing that might help is indicators that you can buy the next vehicle or bank upgrade or whatever. Keeping track of all those different things is a bit much right now.

I do think there's a bit of a lack of some kind of strategy to urban planning and actual placement of various buildings, or to be more precise, how you actually zone areas. The idea that your buildings rapidly "upgrade" to new things is cute but makes it a bit dysphoric as far as feeling like you're building an actual city as a place to live. Having things like, say a particular block being all one zone versus mixed-use give different bonuses, so how you actually lay out the city matters (and of course, ways to rezone without huge penalties) would be a pretty neat system.

It'd also be neat to have a city ordinance system where you can pass or repeal ordinances to modify certain effects or take certain penalties in exchange for other bonuses, like perhaps pass the "A Nice Place To Live" campaign that costs some amount of money/second but increases residential demand up one tier. Or be able to manage the power system, where cheap power will draw commercial users in and increase demand but you'll take a hit to your passive revenue from energy. Things like that, and most importantly, things that you'll want to fiddle with as your city grows and as something to do while waiting for cash to roll in for the next building or whatever.

Overall though, love the game, think it will be even better if you throw in some lite city management elements, keep at it! Excited to see how this game grows and changes.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Didn't see the ad again since complaining about it. I don't think it was skippable, I just kept backing out of it and trying a new one until I got a normal length ad, usually only took a couple tries. And then I saw you got a permanent speed doubler added, so congrats on earning some google surveybucks.

(Still wish there was an option to auto-set quest buildings to historical status)

Unless there's later quests I haven't gotten to that are more specific, so far whenever it's like "Build 2 of X" it counts if it happens at any point after the quest starts, and even if the building is upgraded, it still counts. Seconding that the screenshot button is in an awkward spot though!

And yeah after one ad I couldn't slam the $5 button fast enough, perfect price point for what it is.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Boten Anna posted:

Unless there's later quests I haven't gotten to that are more specific, so far whenever it's like "Build 2 of X" it counts if it happens at any point after the quest starts, and even if the building is upgraded, it still counts. Seconding that the screenshot button is in an awkward spot though!

I don't think that's the case. What appears to happen in my experience is that the bar itself will not actually go down, but you no longer get credit for the building. For example, if you were supposed to build 4 gas stations, and you had 2, you would see 2/4 on the bar. If one of them was replaced with something else, it stays at 2/4. If you then build another one, it still stays at 2/4. If you get yet another one at this point, only then will it go to 3/4. Essentially the quests should be worded "Have X of <building> in your city at the same time"

I have no idea why it works that way. Really doesn't make sense that the bar wouldn't change dynamically to show the way the quest is actually being tracked. I'm assuming there's probably some technical reason on the back end that it doesn't just count total buildings of a given type that you've built, probably because otherwise rebuilding the same one over and over would finish every quest easily. But there's got to be an easier solution than trying to find one tiny building out of hundreds in order to set it to historical before the auto-builder eats it. (Hint: the solution is to automatically set them historical so I don't have to please thanks)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

BobTheJanitor posted:

I don't think that's the case. What appears to happen in my experience is that the bar itself will not actually go down, but you no longer get credit for the building. For example, if you were supposed to build 4 gas stations, and you had 2, you would see 2/4 on the bar. If one of them was replaced with something else, it stays at 2/4. If you then build another one, it still stays at 2/4. If you get yet another one at this point, only then will it go to 3/4. Essentially the quests should be worded "Have X of <building> in your city at the same time"

I have no idea why it works that way. Really doesn't make sense that the bar wouldn't change dynamically to show the way the quest is actually being tracked. I'm assuming there's probably some technical reason on the back end that it doesn't just count total buildings of a given type that you've built, probably because otherwise rebuilding the same one over and over would finish every quest easily. But there's got to be an easier solution than trying to find one tiny building out of hundreds in order to set it to historical before the auto-builder eats it. (Hint: the solution is to automatically set them historical so I don't have to please thanks)

It used to work that way they changed it when people asked for what you want, it to auto historical or count even if it goes away. Both were seen as. It in the spirit of the quests. Between that and how annoying the later cities are to finish buying stuff it's clear Nimblebit hasn't played their own end game.

I have loved all their other stuff but this just kind of fell flat.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Yeah the last couple hundred buildings in city 8 are a real slog.

E: Turns out once you complete all the missions they don't roll over and start again. The best way to earn bux will be prestiging and doing the first 5 or 6 cities then opening the pension pig.

E2: Last building is about 50trillion, earning 135bn/sec. Most of your cash always comes from tapping coins so I recommend going for the large coin bonus chance in the game section.

Budgie fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 23, 2017

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Budgie posted:

E2: Last building is about 50trillion, earning 135bn/sec. Most of your cash always comes from tapping coins so I recommend going for the large coin bonus chance in the game section.

I feel like the balance is off on that. There's not enough content here to actually focus on the game constantly tapping cars. The idle income needs to be brought up more so that you can just get a lot of buildings and let them auto-upgrade to keep a moderate cash flow. I like tapping cars/boats/planes as an option when you need to push for the next thing, but it really shouldn't be so much more lucrative than idling to the point where you feel like you should be doing nothing else. It's just not that entertaining.

Budgie posted:

E: Turns out once you complete all the missions they don't roll over and start again. The best way to earn bux will be prestiging and doing the first 5 or 6 cities then opening the pension pig.

And this makes it sound like maybe there's not much point in playing any further beyond that. If the drip of questbux dries up and the only option is tapping thousands of vehicles or spending real money over and over for premium currency... ehhh, no thanks.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I mean it can work, Egg, Inc. has a lot of the same pacing issues (surprise surprise considering they're basically different takes on the same game system) but it got a lot more fun as they released more eggs and quests and trophies. Sitting around clicking drones is way more lucrative than days of idle time, and idle time is way more lucrative in that game. Still, get to the end of the current Egg, Inc and it's like "well I guess I'll let it sit around for a few weeks to get full chickens on the last egg or something and build up that war bank to go for the lesser egg trophies idefk what if nimblebit made this but with cities instead I guess I'll go check that out."

I really think this game is a couple of good content patches and some interesting game systems away from being Really Good, Actually, but much like Egg it will probably have times where you consider (or actually) uninstall pending a content update.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Egg Inc feels a little better since you can leave it off for hours and pop back in and actually have enough saved to do a few upgrades. Bit City, with the game off overnight, may get you about as much as you'd get by leaving it open for 5 minutes. (And then asks you if you want to watch an ad to double that paltry amount) Also drone chasing only requires you to tap the occasional thing, whereas there are always more cars, boats, and planes to tap. Egg also drops free or ad supported piles of cash or golden eggs on you periodically, sometimes huge ones that let you make a nice leap ahead. I agree that they're comparable, but I feel like there's always a clear winner in that comparison.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

BobTheJanitor posted:

Egg Inc feels a little better since you can leave it off for hours and pop back in and actually have enough saved to do a few upgrades. Bit City, with the game off overnight, may get you about as much as you'd get by leaving it open for 5 minutes. (And then asks you if you want to watch an ad to double that paltry amount) Also drone chasing only requires you to tap the occasional thing, whereas there are always more cars, boats, and planes to tap. Egg also drops free or ad supported piles of cash or golden eggs on you periodically, sometimes huge ones that let you make a nice leap ahead. I agree that they're comparable, but I feel like there's always a clear winner in that comparison.

Yeah, I was all over Bit City, but then I played Egg Inc about a month ago, and I'm STILL addicted. :negative:

It's just a better version of the same thing, really.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

BobTheJanitor posted:

The idle income needs to be brought up more so that you can just get a lot of buildings and let them auto-upgrade to keep a moderate cash flow.

We did recently add the ability to double idle income which should help.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

I feel like you guys should be aware of this bug.

Fun facts:
Randomly appeared when I started level 8.
It does not fly off the screen but is just going in a loop around one area.
It counts as both a plane and a boat.
I can tap on it as much as I want and as quickly as I want and it won't go away.
Currently gives me 46.28 billion each tap with all upgrades in town hall. For every ~15 taps it will randomly give me 462.8 billion. For every ~20 taps it will give me 10bux or randomly 100bux (I assume these are big bonus)
Not sure if it's going to despawn if I switch apps or close it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

I feel like you guys should be aware of this bug.

Fun facts:
Randomly appeared when I started level 8.
It does not fly off the screen but is just going in a loop around one area.
It counts as both a plane and a boat.
I can tap on it as much as I want and as quickly as I want and it won't go away.
Currently gives me 46.28 billion each tap with all upgrades in town hall. For every ~15 taps it will randomly give me 462.8 billion. For every ~20 taps it will give me 10bux or randomly 100bux (I assume these are big bonus)
Not sure if it's going to despawn if I switch apps or close it.

Goddamn :stare:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Before that gets patched, please let me know what the steps to reproduce are.

You know ... for science.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Psion posted:

Before that gets patched, please let me know what the steps to reproduce are.

You know ... for science.

I didn't do anything special. I got to level 8, prestige'd, got to level 8 again, and as usual before I built anything I bought a bunch of cars, planes, and boats to generate money for a few hours while I left the app open to idle. When I looked a few hours later the flying bonanza was mysteriously there. :10bux: :five: :f5h:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

Sadly while you're not wrong, Egg, Inc. was a bit dryer at first too, and there was a time where a lot of people uninstalled because there was nothing left to do. These games tend to kind of be like that, where they're anemic at first but the framework is there for good stuff.

I just hope Nimblebit considers at least something like some of the things I suggested to add some passive yet interesting elements that make it feel more like a city simulator and isn't nearly as much about just tapping on cars and planes and boats forever.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/NimbleBit/status/847529079200808960

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Looking forward to this new feature because it's getting surprisingly quick to get through level 5-7 now.

I'm having a bit of an issue where the game will quit out but not generate a crash report. Then when I load it back up I'll have lost the last 30 or so plots that I built on and any upgrades I made. I'm on the Nvidia SHIELD tablet. It only affects me from city 5 onwards, maybe it thinks I'm making too many new plots too quickly or something IDK.

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

New version is out.

The buy in bulk and autozone button is lovely.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Cender posted:

The buy in bulk and autozone button is lovely.

This changes everything.

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

The update is in the AppStore, currently downloading on my phone. Just a heads up.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
Long time player checking in. I've prestiged a few times now and finished city 8 three times I think? I finished city 8 about a month ago and just let the game idle and didn't prestige in anticipation of the new cities being released.

A few comments:

-I'm getting huge amounts of keys for every lot I buy. The last small lot I bought in city 10 gave me 153 keys. I don't know if this is intended or not.
-Profits from the banks of cities 1-8 did not get applied to city 9. I don't think it's supposed to since city 9 is so small.
-City 9 onward appears like it's going to be extremely slow. I have a +2,787% increase in income due to previous prestiging. City 1 took me a while (probably an hour total) to finish and city 2 looks like maybe 90 minutes? I don't mind prestiging at some point to make the later cities easier but if I have to start back at city 1 it's going to be annoying to climb through 1-8 yet again. It's the nature of the game I guess but I can't say I'm looking forward to i.t
-The solar farm makes a comment about "The Wind Farm" in it's description.
-It's been mentioned before but the splash screen (Nimblebit logo) while loading the game is off center.

It's good to be playing this a little again, I'm glad there's new content even if it is just a new skin on the same dog.

Vicious Fishes
Mar 20, 2008

No one drinks MY juice
Moon base city upgrades appear to be bugged. As long as you have the cash for 2/4 full upgrades the next tier will unlock.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Snorkzilla posted:

-I'm getting huge amounts of keys for every lot I buy.
-if I have to start back at city 1 it's going to be annoying to climb through 1-8 yet again.

yeah i'm up to 70,000% and cities 1-8 might as well be skippable. it takes me less than an hour to plow through them all now.

Cender
Sep 24, 2004

The game has been rather nice of late, but there is a new, constantly appearing advert that is aggravating.

Some Crackle ad keeps killing my music or podcasts (iOS) and is split into two 15 second segments that you must click next on or it won't jump to the next segment. And when the second segment is finally over and I'm back in game, I have to swap apps back to my audio player to get it started again before I come back to the game, if I bother to right then.

Heads up, it's a pain in the rear end in the middle of an otherwise non aggravating experience.

Otherwise, I'm still enjoying the game. Some year or another I'll beat that last city...

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i get "cannot contact store" which if i don't push "ok" fast enough, i can't watch an ad to get 2x my nightly cache.

it's been happening for like a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Cender posted:

The game has been rather nice of late, but there is a new, constantly appearing advert that is aggravating.

Some Crackle ad keeps killing my music or podcasts (iOS) and is split into two 15 second segments that you must click next on or it won't jump to the next segment. And when the second segment is finally over and I'm back in game, I have to swap apps back to my audio player to get it started again before I come back to the game, if I bother to right then.

Heads up, it's a pain in the rear end in the middle of an otherwise non aggravating experience.

Otherwise, I'm still enjoying the game. Some year or another I'll beat that last city...

I'm starting to see these annoying Crackle ads also.

• Locked thread