Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2016/11/10/the-trans-pacific-partnership-is-dead-schumer-tells-labor-leaders/

In order to judge whether the TPP was good or bad, lets see who is unhappy it's dead:

quote:

The news of the trade pact’s likely demise prompted disappointed reactions from some industry coalitions, which had hoped to access freer markets and a more level playing field with competitors overseas.

Among them were groups representing America’s farmers and ranchers. The TPP had promised to slash tariffs on U.S. agricultural goods in large markets such as Japan and Vietnam, as well as eliminate agricultural subsidies that gave competitors in the trade bloc an edge.

“We would have liked to get it done before the end of the year. The longer we delay, the more likely we lose market share in the Asia-Pacific since other countries are negotiating their own trade deals with nations in the region,” David Warner, the director of communications at the National Pork Producers Council, said in emailed comments. Warner said the TPP would exponentially increase pork exports, translating into more American jobs. “We certainly hope the TPP is not dead.”

Retailers had also largely thrown their support behind TPP, as it would have reduced tariffs on many goods that brands source from overseas. President Obama had even used Nike’s Oregon headquarters as backdrop for a speech defending his trade policy.

Hmm, well let's see who is happy it is dead:

quote:

That remark from Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.), who is expected to be the incoming Senate minority leader, came as good news to the AFL-CIO Executive Council, which met Thursday in Washington. Schumer relayed statements that Republican congressional leaders had made to him, according to an aide who confirmed the remarks.

Hmm, looks like "the gold standard" of trade deals was actually just as poo poo as the idea of gold-back currency?

Another blow to neo-liberals and another mark on Obama's extremely disappointing and ultimately pointless presidency.

:bernin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

lol bernie would have lost and anything that makes chuck schumer smile terrifies me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Since I still hear people say what is TPP, yah you know me, here is some info from the BBC for you to read.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-32498715

quote:

TPP in a nutshell
Twelve countries that border the Pacific Ocean signed up to the TPP in February 2016, representing roughly 40% of the world's economic output.
The pact aimed to deepen economic ties between these nations, slashing tariffs and fostering trade to boost growth. Members had also hoped to foster a closer relationship on economic policies and regulation.
The agreement was designed so that it could eventually create a new single market, something like that of the EU.
But all 12 nations needed to ratify it, before it could come into effect.
Once Donald Trump won last year's election, the writing was on the wall for the TPP.
US participation was the major linchpin for the deal. It may be possible for the other countries to forge a smaller scale pact in it's place, but it can't go ahead in its current form.
Those other member states are: Japan - the only country to have already ratified the pact - Malaysia, Vietnam, Singapore, Brunei, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Mexico, Chile and Peru.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/SenJohnMcCain/status/823578273150013442

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Third World Reggin posted:

Since I still hear people say what is TPP, yah you know me, here is some info from the BBC for you to read.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-32498715

"The full text---which runs to 30 chapters---can be read here."

I'm... starting to see why no one knew what was in it. :stare:

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

That's how the rest of us know Trump is right on this

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Chokes McGee posted:

"The full text---which runs to 30 chapters---can be read here."

I'm... starting to see why no one knew what was in it. :stare:

No one knew what it was because it was kept secret from government representatives and congress people were only allowed to look at it a chapter at a time in a secure room with no photographs. Meanwhile major corporations had the full text and indeed were the ones who were actually writing the thing.

The TPP would have been an unironically great thing...for the corporations who currently control the world.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

a good rule of thumb is that secret laws are extremely bad

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Prav posted:

a good rule of thumb is that secret laws are extremely bad

I mean the secrecy isn't the worst part, even though that is really bad. The worst part is that the supposed members of the government who were supposed to be the ones to work on it couldn't even read it. So if representatives of the people aren't able to read the law, then who the gently caress is writing it?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I mean the secrecy isn't the worst part, even though that is really bad. The worst part is that the supposed members of the government who were supposed to be the ones to work on it couldn't even read it. So if representatives of the people aren't able to read the law, then who the gently caress is writing it?

it was me, it was me all along

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Corporate interests. (eat the rich)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

if bernie likes that it's dead then i'm down

• Locked thread