Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manifisto

hey so I'm curious whether yobbers can provide advice on something. I realize it's not a traditional byob type of thread, and may actually be more appropriate for other forums on sa, but I respect you folks and know there are a lot of good artists who post here so I'd appreciate your insight if you have any to share.

my parents' 50th wedding anniversary is coming up. my brother and I have decided we'd like to get them a custom portrait as a gift. in an ideal world we'd have it painted in a traditional medium by an established artist, but for several reasons we've decided against that (unless some unique opportunity presents itself).

the route that seems most promising at the moment is to have an artist digitally enhance an existing photograph of the two of them to make it--well, painterly, artistic--then getting it printed using a high-quality giclée process and framed. we don't want our parents to sit through a photo portrait session, we're really trying to make this painless for them, so it's going to need to be based on an existing photo (probably taken using film, with the negative digitized). we may even wish to commission a couple of different artists to do the digital enhancing and let my parents choose which one they prefer. there would likely be a fair amount of enhancing involved, possibly putting in a background based on a different photo.

so there are a bunch of questions here, including:

- any advice on selecting and vetting artists? I've found a number of services via google that do approximately this sort of thing. I've found a site, sketchmob.com, that is centered around commissioning artists to customize photos. obviously I get the general concept of looking at their portfolio, such as it is, to get a sense of whether there seems to be a fit. are there more specific things we should focus on? places we should look?

- any thoughts on what a fair rate is for this kind of work? I understand that it will vary based on the artist, their experience/training/popularity, how they value their time, etc. I'm just trying to understand whether this is the type of job where I should be looking to pay $50-100 a pop, or more, or less, assuming an experienced artist but not a "name"/someone in high demand.

- any specific advice about giclée printing? companies that offer it, the specific process/pigments/canvas/sizes that we should be considering, pricing ballparks, etc?

and any other thoughts you might have are welcome. thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piso Mojado

cut out the middleman and pay godspeed john glenn to do it imo

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Piso Mojado posted:

Thanks, but I don't think I'd be very good at this sort of thing unless he wants his parents ending up looking like my wife wearing a space suit. Besides there are TONS of artists who do this sort of thing for very reasonable prices.
Before you find an artist, however, you should try and decide what kind of prints you want them to be. Giclée is just a fancy name for inkjet printing, although professional services can print in a higher dpi and closer color matching and that sort of thing, including printing on canvas if you're into that sort of thing. Printing itself can be quite expensive, as they use specialized printers and inks, and even if you print on paper that can be quite pricey. A sheet of really good hot-pressed paper can run you up to $50. Try and find an artist or business that does the whole thing all at once. Does the sketchmob place do printing? I know a lot of places will work with groups of artists in order to keep printing costs low.

As far as picking an artist, go for someone who makes things that look good. Art is so highly subjective that it all very much comes down to personal taste. Also make sure the artist has enough time to complete the project. Rushed art always looks like poo poo.

joke_explainer

GSJG responded to a question a long time ago where somebody was like 'does your wife ever wonder why you always draw her in a space suit and with horns and stuff?' with 'she knows why.' and nothing else, so I always have assumed it was because she was an astronaut time traveler he nursed back to health after she crashed in the 21st century and they fell in love, which is the most rational explanation

Manifisto

Piso Mojado posted:

lol I love gsjg's work but I suspect his take on an anniversary portrait would be more a gift for me than a gift for them. if this were a different type of commission and he actually wanted it I'd honestly be pretty interested in that.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

Thanks, but I don't think I'd be very good at this sort of thing unless he wants his parents ending up looking like my wife wearing a space suit. Besides there are TONS of artists who do this sort of thing for very reasonable prices.
Before you find an artist, however, you should try and decide what kind of prints you want them to be. Giclée is just a fancy name for inkjet printing, although professional services can print in a higher dpi and closer color matching and that sort of thing, including printing on canvas if you're into that sort of thing. Printing itself can be quite expensive, as they use specialized printers and inks, and even if you print on paper that can be quite pricey. A sheet of really good hot-pressed paper can run you up to $50. Try and find an artist or business that does the whole thing all at once. Does the sketchmob place do printing? I know a lot of places will work with groups of artists in order to keep printing costs low.

As far as picking an artist, go for someone who makes things that look good. Art is so highly subjective that it all very much comes down to personal taste. Also make sure the artist has enough time to complete the project. Rushed art always looks like poo poo.

thanks for the advice! ya sketchmob does offer printing on satin paper and canvas, but there doesn't seem to be any magic to having them do the printing vs. another shop--it's disconnected from the artist and the commissioning process. I was just sort of wondering if anybody here had worked with a shop they like, or had advice about substrates (this works great/stay away from this). I think as much as anything I'm concerned about getting high quality pigment / archival / non-fading inks. there seems to be a lot of competition for such services these days, which is probably pretty good for keeping prices down, but I don't want to cheap out.

that's a good point about time and absolutely worth checking into when commissioning an artist.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

Thanks, but I don't think I'd be very good at this sort of thing unless he wants his parents ending up looking like my wife wearing a space suit.

lol I would love to see this and the subsequent presentation of the picture to Manifisto's parents.

Also GSJG I wanted to post this in the art dump thread but there's so much I need to catch up on: I really hope all of the works of your wife in a space suit are part of some larger story arc because they are fantastic and the story would be incredible.

social vegan

hot tip ask them to paint your mom doing the guy with salt meme pose salting small grains of your dad onto a cake and the cake says, "25 years and going strong love u babe*

Robot Made of Meat

If you want the portrait to look like your parents are rodents that play guitars, I know someone . . .

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

social vegan

call it gicklee on the phone

Manifisto

social vegan posted:

hot tip ask them to paint your mom doing the guy with salt meme pose salting small grains of your dad onto a cake and the cake says, "25 years and going strong love u babe*

yes yes please keep the constructve suggestions coming, my parents fuckin love memes

feel free to illustrate your ideas in graphical form using this photo of my parents:

Al!

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Manifisto posted:

yes yes please keep the constructve suggestions coming, my parents fuckin love memes

feel free to illustrate your ideas in graphical form using this photo of my parents:

im not near my usual tools right now but i drew this fanart of your parents on an alpine vacation

Manifisto

Al! posted:

im not near my usual tools right now but i drew this fanart of your parents on an alpine vacation

it's bold, it's striking, I love it

however my parents like to think of themselves as more of a subtle watermark, I think they might be a bit offended by being so prominently featured--especially the color, they'd probably call it too flashy

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Robot Made of Meat posted:

If you want the portrait to look like your parents are rodents that play guitars, I know someone . . .

lol

Manifisto

Robot Made of Meat posted:

to be honest I actually kinda do want that, but I have to keep reminding myself that this is about what my parents want

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
ok i did a little bit of work here. Ran it though a "lucasfilm" filter and an "oil paint" filter. Added two clipart animals to represent your brother and you and added a nice little custom message over the chicken (is that a chicken maybe on the right?). I love it but please be honest with me:

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

ok i did a little bit of work here. Ran it though a "lucasfilm" filter and an "oil paint" filter. Added two clipart animals to represent your brother and you and added a nice little custom message over the chicken (is that a chicken maybe on the right?). I love it but please be honest with me:

well I will be frank with you luvcow, it is truly amazing but my parents would be horrified if I showed it to them. you had no way of knowing this but I had an older brother who was a chicken and my parents would not be able to handle the reminder. also my dad has been battling with lucasfilm for more than a decade over the rights to the jar-jar binks character--my dad came up with the idea of a rastafarian vulcan frog long before episode I and he feels his intellectual property was brazenly stolen. the lucasfilm filter would send him into one of his fits and we all want to avoid that after what he did to the thanksgiving turkey. finally my mother is allergic to most oil paints and she would be nervous every time she saw the portrait.

but here's something you could do, if you could retouch it a bit to look like two naked celebrities and/or cartoon characters kissing (I have a list of acceptable pairings, check your pms) I think it's salvageable. I'd have to think of something else for my parents' anniversary though.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

well I will be frank with you luvcow, it is truly amazing but my parents would be horrified if I showed it to them. you had no way of knowing this but I had an older brother who was a chicken and my parents would not be able to handle the reminder. also my dad has been battling with lucasfilm for more than a decade over the rights to the jar-jar binks character--my dad came up with the idea of a rastafarian vulcan frog long before episode I and he feels his intellectual property was brazenly stolen. the lucasfilm filter would send him into one of his fits and we all want to avoid that after what he did to the thanksgiving turkey. finally my mother is allergic to most oil paints and she would be nervous every time she saw the portrait.

but here's something you could do, if you could retouch it a bit to look like two naked celebrities and/or cartoon characters kissing (I have a list of acceptable pairings, check your pms) I think it's salvageable. I'd have to think of something else for my parents' anniversary though.

k, i'm on it

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

k, i'm on it

thank you so much! remember, vintage archie comics, none of this "riverdale" nonsense

ty nesamdoom!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
just spitballing here, not finished but want to know if i'm going in the right direction:

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

just spitballing here, not finished but want to know if i'm going in the right direction:

:swoon:

hachi-machi!

social vegan

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

drat i gotta up my game here

:smith:

Manifisto

holy crap

the font, the composition

everything

Manifisto

just as a followup, my brother and I ended up commissioning a couple of artists off of sketchmob, and my parents were quite happy with the results!

we have not giclee printed the final yet, they are still deciding what size and substrate they want

anyway, thanks for the advice and artistic suggestions

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

omfg! manifesto that came out awesome!

alnilam

Luvcow posted:

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

sure, it looks good now, AFTER I got the disney artist to airbrush out the penis hidden among the castle towers

Space Taxi

I don't think it's appropriate for your Mom to be tweaking your Dad's nipple like that. I'm a body language expert and I can tell your Dad isn't into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

Space Taxi posted:

I don't think it's appropriate for your Mom to be tweaking your Dad's nipple like that. I'm a body language expert and I can tell your Dad isn't into it.

every family photo it's the same drat thing. she has a problem.

ty nesamdoom!

• Locked thread