Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Run into a new issue on our trusty 4Runner and I have to say I'm stumped. The details:

The car:
- 2005 4Runner sport, 4.0L 1GR-FE V6 (Tacoma, 4Runner and FJ Cruiser engine)
- 175k miles
- Just had an oil change last week. I always use 0W30, OEM filter/crush washer, and fill 5.5quarts because I have never once been able to read the dipstick.

The problem:
- Heavy sporadic random misfire. Usually at idle or low RPM. Lots of shuddering. Very sporadic. I can drive for 15 mins and it doesn't happen at all, and then drive for 15 minutes and it feels like the engine is trying to murder itself.
- CEL is on (along with all other warning lights, which is how these trucks seem to do CELs)
- Still plenty of normal power delivery if you mash the go pedal to redline

Codes:
- P0011 (VVT system, pass-side bank)
- P0016 (Crank-Cam position correlation)
- P0300 (Random/multiple cyl misfire)

P0011 seems to lead down the right path to my untrained eyes. There is an OCV (Oil Control Valve) on each cylinder bank that controls the flow of oil to the VVTi system to adjust timing. This is a solenoid actuated by +12v. Apparently these can either get stuck with gunky oil or die altogether. There is also a filter mesh screen associated with these BUT I CAN NOT LOCATE IT. The FSM I have makes no reference to its location and I'd like to check that the screen isn't clogged first, but I can't find it to do so.

So my thoughts are; locate filter screen, check/clean, reinstall. If the problem persists, remove OCV and bench test it. If the problem persists past that, I'm lost. Anyone run into a similar issue before? Anyone know how to locate this mysterious filter screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
VVT system jammed in the wrong position sounds likely to me, as that would give a similar effect to a mild timing misalignment, which is what your symptoms also sound a bit like.

Of course, if you're really unlucky, is it possible you've skipped a tooth on the timing chain?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Sounds like a stuck "plunger" in the solenoid your describing. Run a oil/atf 50/50 mix for a half hour (just let it idle) then change oil and filter. Had a similar problem in a highlander with a stuck vvt plunger. Light has been off since.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 26, 2017

Slick
Jun 6, 2003
Last plug change. Toyotas do need them eventually.

Do not go revving it to troubleshoot oiling without knowing the electrical systems state. The Highlander I finally fixed up, had a full rebuild due to ~140k on the original plugs, and bearings and #1 piston, embedded in the front head...

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Preoptopus posted:

Sounds like a stuck "plunger" in the solenoid your describing. Run a oil/atf 50/50 mix for a half hour (just let it idle) then change oil and filter. Had a similar problem in a highlander with a stuck vvt plunger. Light has been off since.

Having just done a $70 oil change a week ago I'd prefer to avoid this. It would be easier to pull the solenoid and clean it / bench test it.

InitialDave posted:

Of course, if you're really unlucky, is it possible you've skipped a tooth on the timing chain?

Very much doubt this as I'd expect performance to suffer at all RPM ranges.

Slick posted:

Last plug change. Toyotas do need them eventually.

Dang I hadn't even though about plugs. They're almost certainly not the cause, but it would be smart to replace them. There could easily be 100k on them. I'll go ahead and swap them.

My neighbor is getting a roof and we share a driveway so I won't be able to do anything for a couple days, but once I get it in the garage I'll pull the VVT doohickey and see what happens.

Still wondering where the location of the mysterious oil filter screen is. I can locate the part number for it so I know it exists...

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Also one thing I neglected to mention that may be relevant... the issue only seems to occur when the engine's fully 100% warmed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

revmoo posted:

Also one thing I neglected to mention that may be relevant... the issue only seems to occur when the engine's fully 100% warmed up.

If it's like most Toyota vvt solenoid the screen is right next to the solenoid itself. On the same vintage fwd v6 they had issues like this due to the screen clogging. I know a few old Toyota techs and they all swear that removing the screen helps out a lot. Also a flush with some atf will do wonders for an older Toyota with sludge issues.

• Locked thread