Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The year is 2061 and the world is ending.

Disagree with DropTheAnvil; first sentence is fine, sets up genre and plot. Maybe "It's 2061 and..."

quote:

Sabra Kasembe, erstwhile savior of the world, hones her mind and body for her prophesied apocalypse, unsure whether her dreams paint her as a humane champion or blood-soaked harbinger.

Champion of what? "Harbinger" looks weird without an object; I think I'd rephrase. "Erstwhile" seems tautological. What does "honing her mind and body for her prophesied apocalypse" mean? It sounds like she's training to end the world this time.

quote:

When an explosion rips through downtown Geneva, her investigation brings her face to face with none other than her nemesis-turned-ally Jack Harper.

"Downtown" sounds out of place; how about "central"? Cut "face to face" and "none other than".

That's nitpicks, but the second paragraph is awkwardly phrased and doesn't make much sense (NB I haven't read the first book):

quote:

But Harper comes with a warning. There's an insidious threat aimed at the heart of Sabra's lover, a vast paramilitary conspiracy of living legends and extant saviors.

If Harper is her ally now, shouldn't "but" be "and"?

General Battuta already noted the dangling modifier, but the subordinate clause is simultaneously overstuffed with information ("vast", "paramilitary", "living legends and extant saviors") and vague (living legends of what? Saviors of what? What's the conspiracy trying to do, and why is is so uninterested in her lungs?). Also, reconsider "extant".

quote:

To stop them, Sabra must unleash Harper upon an unsuspecting Geneva, even if it risks flirting with the apocalypse that simmers in her wake.

"risks flirting" is a tautology here. Also, maybe cut "that simmers in her wake" or change it to "...in her future" - sounds like the apocalypse already happened.

quote:

Because Sabra must hone her soul to save Revenant's life no matter the cost--or Sekhmet will light her raging funeral pyre in the heart of the Functioning World.

Why "because"? What's "honing her soul"? Who's Revenant, and why is she in danger? I assume Sabra's lover, but it's muddled. Who's Sekhmet? Who's the antecedent of "her"? What's the Functioning World?

Also, it looks like Sabra's the protagonist, and the story is about saving Revenant, but the plot description makes Harper look like the person actually doing everything. And there's a lot of apocalypse talk - is it going to pay off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think overall my advice is the same as with many query letters - you're including too much information that's important to your story, but not important to the story of the query letter. Drop, simplify, outright lie if you have to.

There's also some missing information. What's bad about Harper, what's he gonna do to Geneva? Do these people have superpowers of some kind? What does 'hone her soul' mean and who's Sekhmet?

I think for the sake of structure it could use a third paragraph. There's just something nice about that "hook, meat, stinger" structure.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Thank you all for the feedback! It'll give me some good thoughts to mull over as I finish this thing off. Playing with a third paragraph will probably be necessary. The familiarity the ideal reader should have, whether they should have read Shadow before getting to Wake or whether they shouldn't need to, is something I've gone back and forth on.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
If y'all don't mind, I have a blurb I've been messing with for so long that I feel like I've lost objectivity. I think I need a few more eyes on it before I begin sending it to agents.

quote:

David Oliver was a celebrity chef and TV personality. Then he died. Then, things got interesting.

In a fantastic world of monsters and magic, master thief Nome Annos has always known he was destined to become a legendary hero. But one day he learns a deeper truth: in a different life, in a different world, he had been David Oliver, celebrity chef and TV personality.

Mysteriously restored to life by the entertainment conglomerate which still holds his contract, and alongside four other celebrity heroes in similar circumstances, David/Nome must now face his first true challenge: starring in the greatest television show the world, either world, has ever seen.

The name of the book is Celebrity Isekai! With Your Host, Wulfgar Bloodraven.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

What if isekai's were an interdimensional exchange program? Like, one depressed teen gets sent to a fantasy world, and Gnock the Bloodless replaces them in high school. Or would that be double the work / too much plot for readers to follow?

tbh I don't like isekais and think Truck-kun is a menace. It did kind of break my brain for a sec when I realized my favorite childhood movie also counts as one. TRON

In other news, it took me 14 chapters but I've been calling back to some details I put into the first one, and it feels good to Checkhov some guns.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Waffle! posted:

What if isekai's were an interdimensional exchange program? Like, one depressed teen gets sent to a fantasy world, and Gnock the Bloodless replaces them in high school. Or would that be double the work / too much plot for readers to follow?

If anyone's interested in comps like this, Seanan McGuire's Wayward Children books are sort of similar in premise. There's a boarding school for children who have fallen into other realities and need to learn how to be "normal"/function in the real world again after their isekai worlds have chewed them up and spat them back out again. It, predictably, severely traumatizes them.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Homer's Odyssey and Lucian's Voyage to the Moon are technically "isekai" stories, it's not a new concept. Don't feel like you have to hate on the "stranger in a strange land" concept just 'cause it's popular now.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Mirage posted:

Homer's Odyssey and Lucian's Voyage to the Moon are technically "isekai" stories, it's not a new concept. Don't feel like you have to hate on the "stranger in a strange land" concept just 'cause it's popular now.

Alice in Wonderland, too.

Nonetheless I think they're mostly lazy. I also think that about plenty of genres that have great versions showing what the genre can accomplish.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Mirage posted:

Reincarnated On Winter As A Misogynist???

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Mirage posted:

Don't feel like you have to hate on the "stranger in a strange land" concept just 'cause it's popular now.

This might be my issue. I like reading r/hfy, but so many stories recycle the "reincarnated in a magic world" trope and I lose interest almost immediately.

One series I have been enjoying is Wearing Power Armor to a Magic School, because it's less reincarnation hand-waving and more Stargate.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
I just wanna read about Gnock the Bloodless teleporting into an ordinary high school. I don’t give a poo poo about the kids in fantasy land, cause that’s so done

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Stuporstar posted:

I just wanna read about Gnock the Bloodless teleporting into an ordinary high school. I don’t give a poo poo about the kids in fantasy land, cause that’s so done

Yeah isekai peaked with CS Lewis

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Stuporstar posted:

Reverse portal fantasies are fun on a bun, but I agree, most of them play it way too normal. There's a youtube series called The Wizards of Aus that is a fuckin wonderful reverse portal fantasy comedy about a wizard who is done with the fuckery of a fantasy realm so he portals into suburban Australia and tries to fit in. It's great.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Mirage posted:

If y'all don't mind, I have a blurb I've been messing with for so long that I feel like I've lost objectivity. I think I need a few more eyes on it before I begin sending it to agents.

The overall premise sounds funny and cool. Most isekai stories have a hook around what the hero becomes (a goblin, a spider, etc) so having the character hook be related to his normal life feels fresh.

In terms of the query structure, it feels weird that you introduce the thief's name and then belatedly tell me he's one and the same with the guy from the first paragraph. Why not just say "David is reincarnated as master thief Nome Ammos" ?

In the third para, I'm a bit confused by the mechanics of the whole thing. Does the story take place mainly on Earth on in the fantasy world? Because "restored to life" makes it seem like he gets yanked back to Earth again.

Other things I'd like to see is more about the stakes--what does David want? and the unique hook--how is being a celebrity chef going to change how he interacts with the typical isekai plot structure?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mirage posted:

Are you intending that people should think of Jamie Oliver? Because people are going to think of Jamie Oliver.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

HopperUK posted:

Are you intending that people should think of Jamie Oliver? Because people are going to think of Jamie Oliver.
Yes, 100%, though in the book he acts more like Gordon Ramsay. All the other celebrity protags are (LEGALLY DISTINCT) pastiches too: a celebrity judge/mage, a schlubby TV comedian/warrior, a Joan Jett-style rock star/priest, and Andy Rooney. I should put that in the pitch too, probably in a later, longer one, but I wanted this initial hook to be focused and punchy.

Sailor Viy posted:

In terms of the query structure, it feels weird that you introduce the thief's name and then belatedly tell me he's one and the same with the guy from the first paragraph. Why not just say "David is reincarnated as master thief Nome Ammos" ?
Well, the reincarnation reveal takes place a quarter of the way through the story; we get to know Nome-as-Nome for a while first. I was sort of trying to do that same reveal in short form. Maybe not ideal.

Sailor Viy posted:

In the third para, I'm a bit confused by the mechanics of the whole thing. Does the story take place mainly on Earth on in the fantasy world? Because "restored to life" makes it seem like he gets yanked back to Earth again.
The whole story stays in the other world, so. Needs a tweak.

Sailor Viy posted:

Other things I'd like to see is more about the stakes--what does David want? and the unique hook--how is being a celebrity chef going to change how he interacts with the typical isekai plot structure?
That's a very good point. I do mention that he's still under contract to the not-Disney Corp that he worked for, but there's another prod in the form of his Earth daughter being saddled with his outstanding debts.

Thanks for the thoughts, this is a big help.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

Safety Biscuits posted:

Disagree with DropTheAnvil; first sentence is fine, sets up genre and plot. Maybe "It's 2061 and..."

A year is not a setting, unless you are writing historical fiction.

I have no idea what the year 2061 means. Is it post apocalyptic? Are Flying Fart Devices (FFD's) a thing now? Has humanity given up free will in exchange for that sweet sweet 10 pull on the gacha of life?

Just saying "My novel takes place in the year 2061" doesn't add much to the setting, except to let the reader know its 37 years in the future.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I had this idea like an intergalactic Iron Chef, that followed Robert Irvine using his big muscles to subdue alien ingredients.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Waffle! posted:

I had this idea like an intergalactic Iron Chef, that followed Robert Irvine using his big muscles to subdue alien ingredients.

This sounds like Catherynne Valente’s Space Opera but with cooking and I am here for it :allears:

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

DropTheAnvil posted:

A year is not a setting, unless you are writing historical fiction.

I have no idea what the year 2061 means. Is it post apocalyptic? Are Flying Fart Devices (FFD's) a thing now? Has humanity given up free will in exchange for that sweet sweet 10 pull on the gacha of life?

Just saying "My novel takes place in the year 2061" doesn't add much to the setting, except to let the reader know its 37 years in the future.

2061 means I'm going to be disappointed if Halley's comet doesn't figure in somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally Forth
Oct 16, 2012

Mirage posted:

A standard query letter devotes ~250 words to the blurb text, so you've got room to expand this quite a bit. I'd also agree with Sailor Viy that the David/Nome reveal feels disjointed in such a small space, and that this would be strengthened by giving us a sense of the personal stakes for David.

Isekai is a hard sell in tradpub right now, but agents are really hoping to find a breakthrough book, so if you position this right (maybe with the Space Opera comp Stuporstar suggested to show the appeal to more traditional SF readers) then you could be in with a chance.