Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
None of this makes any sense to me. It feels like people playing at labour politics without the slightest understand of what it means or how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Yossarian-22 posted:

In response to the OP, I don't think a police strike would be the only way to "upset elites." Workers striking en masse and shutting down essential industries like shipping/trucking/the post office could practically shut the economy down with a strike lasting for more than just a day

Warehouse workers would more or less gently caress everything up if a general strike were to occur. Even better if it's warehouses filled at a central routing location!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I only see a General Strike happening if a national right-to-freeload law is passed.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

Talk to my union, I can't strike til they agree.

Wildcat strikes are the best strikes

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
btw I found the company that makes the giant inflatable rat balloons - Mr. Scabby - as well as the Fat Cats etc.

http://www.bigskyballoons.com/ratpack.html

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/QA_What_is_that_Rat_Mobile.html

Sad times for the Rat Mobile Johnny Doc got raided by the FBI

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Hey I'm not an expert Labor Organizer or anything, but I think an effective general strike will take longer then 2 weeks to put together in the hyper-capitalist society that is in the modern-day USA.

I also fear that this one will not be The General Strike it should be.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Strike with the General and save some time!

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baloogan posted:

the only thing that fukin will make people take notice is a general stike you cucks

if u scab u suck so much lamo GENERAL STRIKE

actually if anyoen says they scab im gonna probate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I once fell and skid my knee and I bled to death because I'll never scab.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Laphroaig posted:

btw I found the company that makes the giant inflatable rat balloons - Mr. Scabby - as well as the Fat Cats etc.

http://www.bigskyballoons.com/ratpack.html

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/QA_What_is_that_Rat_Mobile.html

Sad times for the Rat Mobile Johnny Doc got raided by the FBI

i did my college co-op in a union office and the woman who werked next to me who was probably in her early 70s used to love going on strike (it had happened just months before i started, so i missed out ofc) and told me stories about the giant rat and fat cat (w/ pictures) and i also heard stories about how she hiss and snarl at the scab supervisor when they drove their lovely car thru the picket line (some even thought her actions were somewhat cruel and necessary but i knew right then and there that i had found my office bff :cabot: )

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I took the inflatable rat diet and I lost 30 pounds!!!

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Ruzihm posted:

also can we get this in the op?

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

SEIU is calling for a May Day general strike https://www.facebook.com/events/1221437297933877/

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Baloogan bases all his political opinions on peckerwood duck memes

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Dreddout posted:

Baloogan bases all his political opinions on peckerwood duck memes

the duck is persuasive

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
im gonan strike

in my pants

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
I don't have a job so every day is general strike day for me

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Ruzihm posted:

also can we get this in the op?

W I L D C A T

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Michael Bayleaf posted:

I don't have a job so every day is general strike day for me

get a joke then immediately go on strike

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I'm off on Feb 17 anyway, op

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Yossarian-22 posted:

In response to the OP, I don't think a police strike would be the only way to "upset elites." Workers striking en masse and shutting down essential industries like shipping/trucking/the post office could practically shut the economy down with a strike lasting for more than just a day

a full strike of rail and truckload carriers' employees would be devastating

extremely unlikely and wouldn't be union based (bc taft hartley*) but would have a huge impact (and scare the poo poo out of everyone) if it happened

* eta: which should be repealed, though this also is only slightly more likely than the moon turning out to be made of green cheese

Red Dad Redemption has issued a correction as of 19:07 on Feb 5, 2017

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Ruzihm posted:

SEIU is calling for a May Day general strike https://www.facebook.com/events/1221437297933877/

I have added to The OP

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
https://billypenn.com/2017/02/14/immigrants-plan-to-walk-off-their-philly-restaurant-jobs-on-feb-16/

quote:

“It’s not a strike,” said Carlos Aparicio, who oversees three Philly restaurants and one in DC as corporate chef for the Zavino Restaurant Group. “It’s not coming to work to make an impact and show how important the immigrant community is to the whole country.”

meh

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

wat. "It's not a strike. It's *describes exactly what a strike does* "

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Ruzihm posted:

Strikes have demands and last until the demands are met. Hes right, this isnt a strike, its a protest.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ruzihm posted:

Additionally while striking you don't just go gently caress off at home. You work shifts with the union to both increase visibility of the strike, and to ensure that the capitalists don't use scabs to replace the union members.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info!!

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress your strikes get back to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
there was a protest yesterday w/ like 10 people in it, very :sad:

• Locked thread