Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Youtube is a wonderful land where you can learn lots of new and important things. Things like how drinking menstrual blood will enable us to leave the flat earth and enter paradise (also the moon is fake), or how the Illuminati rigged the 2016 elections to ensure a Clinton victory, using Rothschild money, or that Benghazi was not only an inside job, but doesn't even exist (also the Egyptian god Ra gives this woman prophetic visions, so it's a sure thing).

WHAT MAKES A GOOD CONSPIRACY THEORY VIDEO?

Forget Loose Change; forget Zeitgeist: Addendum. Those are too corporate, man; those production companies sold out. The best conspiracy theory videos are never going to be polished pieces with an actual budget. If you really want the good nuggets of far-out bonkers poo poo, you need to look for the inverse law of production value. Think about it; what is more likely to contain absolute nonsense: the product of many people who happen to share a flawed worldview based on a shared delusion, but who nevertheless end up tempering the extremism by sheer force of collective common sense, or one person with a video camera, an internet connection, a stunted social life, and too much time on their hands?

Don't get me wrong; the big "high" production value videos are great for getting your feet wet and for introducing yourself to the basic concepts of conspiracy theory videos as a genre (the insistence on mainstream media propounding a false narrative, the sense of gnosticism that comes from having secret knowledge of the universe, the neverending eschatological masturbation, the fixation on coincidence as proof); but if you want a great Friday night alone in front of your computer, go for the obscure, the shoestring, the idiosyncratic.

HOW TO FIND GOOD CONSPIRACY THEORY VIDEOS

The first step is to know the keywords. I could go very deeply into how a lot of conspiracy theories work (they do each have their own batshit internal logic), but here are just a few keywords with some brief summary:

Reptilians, Illuminati - Reptilian looking aliens have infiltrated Earth and control world governments, particularly the British royal family. Sometimes, you can see them "shapeshift" (because conspiracy theorists are technological illiterates and do not understand compression artifacts). The Illuminati are often associated with Reptilians, so there's a lot of crossover.
Flat Earth - The Earth ain't round, and NASA is a lie! How come I can see things in the distance on the horizon? If I hold this ball in my hand, I can't see things on the other side of it - so why is it that I can see mountains 20 miles away? Checkmate, globailures
Knights Templar, Freemasons, Holy Grail - Lots of synergy here, so they all go in one category. Whether these are old-school Holy Blood, Holy Grail readers or Da Vinci Code newcomers, they believe that the Freemasons keep the secret of a holy bloodline. These are pretty ho-hum compared to less mainstream conspiracy theories, but expect these videos to delve deep into numerology and secret symbolism.
Mandela Effect - A recent addition to the scene, this conspiracy theory has been steadily gaining steam. You may have heard of it through the whole "Berenstein/Berenstain Bears" parallel universe trend that was mildly entertaining until everyone with an ounce of sense realized that it was far more likely that most people just had lovely memory and that "stein" is a far more common name ending. To others, it is proof that CERN experimentation ripped a hole to another dimension, and some people crossed over, and also a bizarre insistence that South America got moved somehow
9/11 was an inside job - This conspiracy theory is usually a standalone, but sometimes it branches out into other conspiracies, particularly the Illuminati/global elite style conspiracies. It's already been done to death, but can still give you a chuckle.
Miscellaneous (Pyramids, ancient aliens, Oak Island, Stonehenge, Atlantis, etc.) - There are lots of little things that cross over into other conspiracies; sometimes they have no overarching grand narrative of their own, or have become mainstream enough that conspiracy theorists don't bother with them, but don't discount them when you're hunting for that sweet, sweet content(tm)

A good way to find some really bizarre poo poo is to do the mashup game. That's where you (and a friend, if you have one) come up with two different conspiracy theory terms and just do a straight Youtube search for them together. For example, if one of you says "Book of Revelation" and the other says "Moon landing hoax", you type "revelation moon landing hoax" and BAM - ninth result (protip: random Bible verses in the snippet of the video summary is a good indicator that you're in for a fun ride). For reference, the mashups I used to find the first three videos were, in order, "stem cells flat earth", "holy grail George Soros", and "UFO Benghazi".

Additionally, don't be afraid of going down the rabbit hole; often you end up finding better, wackier conspiracy theories in the list of suggested videos, or on that person's channel.

CAVEAT EMPTOR - THE DEPRESSING PART

The real downside to conspiracy theory video hunting is that at some point, you will inevitably end up finding someone who is not just delusional due to lovely education and poor critical thinking skills, but is genuinely, tragically mentally ill. For your own sanity, when you start to get that :smith: feeling like the person making the video probably can't even go to the store without someone making sure they don't assault the cashier for shapeshifting into their Reptilian form in front of them, you are advised to give yourself a little break.

Have fun kids, and remember - THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE>

HappyKitty has a new favorite as of 22:51 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
This one, probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoc4GQ_04r8

KawaiiAtomicBombs
Apr 15, 2016

~Ka-Boom~
This guy usually makes music about homosexual cowboy orgies but he also seems to have an obsession with WWII oil conspiracies and revenge on J.P. Getty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvE0ybWez-g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysJfvFwB2Eo

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

KawaiiAtomicBombs posted:

This guy usually makes music about homosexual cowboy orgies but he also seems to have an obsession with WWII oil conspiracies and revenge on J.P. Getty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvE0ybWez-g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysJfvFwB2Eo

Both no longer available... did he get too close to the truth :tinfoil:

Anyway, for content, here's a 13-minute video that runs in complete silence after 1:21, and painstakingly proves that Bush did the MH370 air crash via impossible-to-read Firefox screenshots pasted into a Word document that the filmmaker manually scrolls downward in Windows XP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilSe6lOxXj4

NOTE: everything is Copyright © 2014 SMatthewsauthor, as indicated by the transparent overlay repeated twice in the lower left corner SO DON'T STEAL THIS GUY'S VALUABLE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJLhnts9-oQ

Gangster Computer God Worldwide Secret Containment Policy made possible solely by Worldwide Computer God Frankenstein Controls. Especially lifelong constant-threshold Brainwash Radio. Quiet and motionless, I can slightly hear it. Repeatedly this has saved my life on the streets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=7gQtfxVLmrc

Mandela Effect/JFK assassination video from a guy who thinks LBJ's last name was "Johnston"

• Locked thread