Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

a2 crew for life

Started with the A2, deployed with the A4.

Unit was offered M4's but our CO turned them down because she wanted "the long range knock down power" of the A4 over the m4.

We were a NG MP unit, she couldn't hit the 300m target on qual, or 250 or the 200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I can't remember what my SN was on my M4 or my M9 was because I turned that poo poo in 5 years ago along with all of my gun cards and poo poo, and moved into the world of desk jobs

I did fall asleep on watch one time and almost left my rifle at the guard post when my relief woke me up.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Flikken, That poo poo bothers me. You're not going to get any better if you don't practice, and I'd bet she never put in for extra range time or went on her own time or dime. But seriously, if you can't hit 23/40 targets, you belong in an entirely different branch of the military. Army and Marines, even the most desk-laden, could always find themselves in a convoy taking the slow road to base. Less so, obviously for AF and Navy, but I'm sure they have their own quals regs for those that might actually touch a rifle.

Better to take your lovely soldiers to the range and baby step them through the basics again and maybe see progress than just let what skills are there waste for another year or two. Big army dumb because little army dumber.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Flikken, That poo poo bothers me. You're not going to get any better if you don't practice, and I'd bet she never put in for extra range time or went on her own time or dime. But seriously, if you can't hit 23/40 targets, you belong in an entirely different branch of the military. Army and Marines, even the most desk-laden, could always find themselves in a convoy taking the slow road to base. Less so, obviously for AF and Navy, but I'm sure they have their own quals regs for those that might actually touch a rifle.

Better to take your lovely soldiers to the range and baby step them through the basics again and maybe see progress than just let what skills are there waste for another year or two. Big army dumb because little army dumber.

She commands the Battalion now. Fyi, we were on the range all day waiting for her to qualify. Then our ops Sergeant and 1st sergeant got bored and shot on the two lanes on either side of her. She qualified that time.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
At Leatherneck, we had a platoon sergeant(not mine) in the motor T company 1. lose his M9, leading to a base lockdown, 2. get caught huffing compressed air. All he got was busted from E6 to E5 and an early flight home.

motor t is full of idiots

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yes, the motor pool is full of dumbasses.

For that I can entirely vouch. One of my fellow mechanics was the kind of idiot that almost got me some acid burns by passing me a battery with loose caps. And most third shop mechanics (major component replacement, engines, trans, etc) were still rather useless at general repairs on anything bigger than a humvee. I was rear end deep in hydraulics and the rest of the guys would be grab-assing outside the bay. No one wanted to do poo poo, learn poo poo, or do anything besides work on getting promoted as quickly as possible to shirk ever learning their MOS.

No wonder I burned out and became a pothead. It's really goddamn annoying being shorthanded competent people and getting stuck with all the pain in the rear end work. We would pull vehicle operators at the line unit I wound up in at Campbell to come help with easy poo poo, like tire rotations and signal checks, basically an easy way to get buddies in offices out for a few hours away from their chain. They were more helpful than most army mechanics.

Goddamn army. Goddamn dumb.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
A1 in basic Rack 170

A2 at Bragg Rifle rack 171

M9 at Bragg Rack 22

M60 at Bragg Rack 19

A2 at Sheridan Rack 57

for the life of me I can't remember the serial numbers

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

orange juche posted:

I can't remember what my SN was on my M4 or my M9 was because I turned that poo poo in 5 years ago along with all of my gun cards and poo poo, and moved into the world of desk jobs

I did fall asleep on watch one time and almost left my rifle at the guard post when my relief woke me up.

I can't remember my SN because I was always in a desk job and was never issued one.

Chair Force!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Our dudes in the armory never unloaded the magazines they issued with the weapons, so all of the magazine springs in our mags in the armory were loving wrecked, and we werent allowed to have our own. During one of our small boat drills, i got off maybe 5 rounds with 3 jams before i cleared my rifle and just gave up.

Navy takes absolutely garbage care of their weapons.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Lol we qualified with the 8th Army band and my express wartime duty was to demo the transmitter before Yongsan fell to the North Korean hordes so that command could regroup at Pusan.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Kuroyama posted:

I can't remember my SN because I was always in a desk job and was never issued one.

Chair Force!

A nice reminder that in today's military you can be a war veteran on post-9/11 education benefits and VA healthcare, having handed out basketballs and gym towels for a six month tour. And that is awesome. The real idiots are the ones who did anything else.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Zeris posted:

A nice reminder that in today's military you can be a war veteran on post-9/11 education benefits and VA healthcare, having handed out basketballs and gym towels for a six month tour. And that is awesome. The real idiots are the ones who did anything else.

Four months at Bagram practicing my instrument, doing shows, working out, shooting pool at the MWR, and drinking coffee at the Green Bean.

You're welcome, America.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
THANKS 4 UR SERVICE

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Loden Taylor posted:

Four months at Bagram practicing my instrument, doing shows, working out, shooting pool at the MWR, and drinking coffee at the Green Bean.

You're welcome, America.

I practiced my instrument like five times a guard shift.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

We had a 2LT walk into the TOC, glance at a weapon leaning in the corner and say, "Oh, there's my rifle!" He had last been to the TOC three days before. How he got away with that I have no idea.

Also had a Company XO get relieved after he left his M9 in his desk while he went home to take a nap. (We were at the wash racks at the time). He was later chaptered for multiple DWIs including one where the MPs found him asleep at a stop sign.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Navy rifle range works like this, in my experience: someone else zeros your weapon in for you, you are not taught how nor allowed to. Then you shoot and maybe you qualify, maybe they write the minimum required score next to your name. Then you don't fire a rifle for two years.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

Navy rifle range works like this, in my experience: someone else zeros your weapon in for you, you are not taught how nor allowed to. Then you shoot and maybe you qualify, maybe they write the minimum required score next to your name. Then you don't fire a rifle for two years.

Thats weird, they taught us how to zero our rifles and we zeroed our rifles for our qual shoots. Especially weird since youre a seabee and i was just some dumb security punk for 3 years.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I can assure you we both experience the same issues regarding weapons being poorly maintained, jamming quick and saying "gently caress it" after a few shots. I forgot we shoot blanks on pretend war. Hoorah.

Also please do not call me a Seabee my preferred pronoun is "Dumbass"

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
I will always have the utmost respect and reverence for Seabees, because my only interaction with them is looking at their kickass float in Mardi Gras parades around Gulfport. That thing is awesome.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Had an idiot gunner in my formation in Iraq 2011 who decided he would flake on his duties as weapons accountability for his crew, and left an M9 in the bed of one of the unit pickups after shift change. Well, they had used the CC's pickup since it was the draw down and we only had like two vehicles left, and the CC drove to the chow hall and to a Mayor's Cell meeting in the SOF compound with that thing laying in the bed. Realized it on his way out of the Mayor's Cell.

Oh, and it was his aircraft commander's M9. So not only did they punish him for it, the AC never again trusted him with locking the crew's guns in the armory.

We also had a flight engineer lose his M4 out of the window over the junk yard at Taji. Didn't realize it until they had dropped us back off at Balad and gone back to Taji (they were our replacements and we had moved our unit to Taji before we turned it over to them). CC (different one, this one was our home station CC and an awesome dude) freaked out about a lost, fully loaded M4. Base commander said "eh combat loss" and not another single gently caress was given. :shrug:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

maffew buildings posted:

Then you don't fire a rifle for two years.

The saddest part of that story.

Makes me feel sad for navy folk.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The army made shooting stupid and if I could've spent two years not going to ranges with my unit that would have been great.

Go to a civilian range where they do all the cleaning for you.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I enjoy cleaning my gat after using it. I find it provides a sense of catharsis. gently caress cleaning weapons in the army though.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Pesticide20 posted:

I enjoy cleaning my gat after using it. I find it provides a sense of catharsis. gently caress cleaning weapons in the army though.

I think he was talking about cleaning the range

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
If you want a picture of the future, imagine policing brass in kit — forever.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
FIRST SERGEANT IS WATCHING YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Shooting wasn't the best part of the range.

The best part was someone getting the poo poo beaten out of them for sweeping the line. Only ever saw it happen twice. Once to a kid in boot that needed several rear end beatings for more reasons than being dumb with a rifle. And the second was in Korea where a fresh 2lt almost collected one of his own by swinging his loaded m9 around like a toddler with a water pistol.

Dumb people ruin everything, but at least the fallout is fun to watch.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Shooting wasn't the best part of the range.

The best part was someone getting the poo poo beaten out of them for sweeping the line. Only ever saw it happen twice. Once to a kid in boot that needed several rear end beatings for more reasons than being dumb with a rifle. And the second was in Korea where a fresh 2lt almost collected one of his own by swinging his loaded m9 around like a toddler with a water pistol.

Dumb people ruin everything, but at least the fallout is fun to watch.

We had a dumb poo poo sweep the line in boot camp on the M9 quals, RSO kicked him out of the range into the loving arms of our division commander and when the platoon left 2 hours later the stupid gently caress was still doing pushups so deep his nose was scraping the sidewalk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

TBeats posted:

The army made shooting stupid and if I could've spent two years not going to ranges with my unit that would have been great.

Go to a civilian range where they do all the cleaning for you.

for real recruiting owned if only for not even being issued a broke rear end weapon to have to care about or spending 16 hours on a range for no reason other than to burn through ammo

• Locked thread