Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Freak +1 | Danger -2 | Trouble +0 | Superior +3 | Menace +1
Curses! 2/5 | Infamy: 0 | Cards: 0 | Conditions: None! | Location: The Parallex Hotel

The only response Haruspex offered the increasingly pitiful Yard Sale was a patronizing grin. Inwardly, to be sure, she was digesting the full import of his lapse of judgment. Did he have a benefactor in the Disciples? Or, perhaps, the Raiders had acquired the book through some illicit means. She would need more data to fully model the likely possibilities, but that would have to wait. The incoming threats were a somewhat more interesting problem, regardless. The exchange was not yet complete and, unlike their band's carefree 'leader,' she didn't doubt for a moment that the Raiders would leave them without either payment or an escape route given the opportunity.

Of course, she wasn't about to just let them get away with it. No, no. She'd need to curse them or redirect their pursuers attention to them or... STRENGTH was walking over to her. What was he doing? As he presented his case, which was pleasantly reasonable and forward-thinking compared to his normal fare, she found herself in a slow nod of agreement. It would be wise to learn more of this unseen enemy before they committed to a course of action. When he bent to meet her eyes, she self-consciously found herself standing on her tip-toes to seem somewhat less short.

As the completely transparent attempt to boost her height failed to accomplish much of anything, her face began to burn with the vision of her body pressed tight against that of STRENGTH's as he jogged to freedom and she augured the perfect course of action. Shaking away the terrible, yet strangely appealing thought, she sputtered in a far less grandoise tone than her usual, "I'm not happy you're complementing me!" A quick moment passed as Haruspex took a deep breath, regained her composure, then said, "What I meant to say, STRENGTH, is that is an excellent idea." She looked towards the others, then at the pitiful Yard Sale casting his awful spells, and her eyes hardened. How could she let that would-be wizard outdo her? His hat was the worst!

Pulling forth the focus she had been given, she began to settle into a meditative trance to properly augur that which was coming for them. Before her eyes closed, she met STRENGTH's gaze — or, more accurately, his abs — and said, "I'm trusting you, STRENGTH." Her mind began to spin across the web of possibilities that surrounded them. What lie ahead? What was the optimal course of action? It would remain to be seen if she could navigate the web of fate before fate made its choices known to them.

quote:

2:31 PM <Tricky> Haru assesses the situation! (Wagering an Elaborate Mystical Focus)
2:31 PM <Tricky> !r 2d6+4
2:31 PM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 10+4 =

What here is the biggest threat?
What here is in the greatest danger?

Tricky fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Freak: +2 | Danger: +0 | Trouble: +0 | Superior: +2 | Menace: -1
Curses!: 1/5 | Conditions: | Infamy: 0

Simulacrum shoots the AI a quick message. "Change of plans. Upload yourself to thia address instead, an unexpected problem has come up and I'll likely need the robot in the meantime. It may get damaged." she explains, ordering the AI to instead upload itself into the Moonlifter.

"Someone check the contents of that suitcase." Sim orders her teammates. "Nothing personal, Commander, but that is far too easy a trick not to watch out for."

In the meantime, Simulacrum calculates the best way to deal with this unexpected situation.

quote:

15:40 Yamifenrir Sim assesses the situation!
15:40 Yamifenrir !r 2d6+2
15:40 *** Krysmbot joined #capers!
15:40 Yamifenrir !r 2d6+2
15:40 Krysmbot Yamifenrir, 9+2 = 11
"What here can I use to ensure the AI's safety", and "How could we best end this quickly?"

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Trouble -1 | Superior +2 | Menace -2
Curses! 4/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: Angry | Location: Tower Hotel

"Haha, wow, don't get your panties in a twist, mortal", really, Supercell did find it somewhat amusing, if also a bit irritating, how mortals go worked up over the weirdest things. Also sheesh, was bit of respect that much to ask? They were talking to a divinity after all. His eye twitched ever so slightly.

A puff.

Heh. Better.

Supercell scratched his cheek idly. "Okay so guys, I don't want to, like, be all alarmist and such, but there's a non-zero chance that the real angry looking thunderstorm back there shooting straight at us might be my dad. And he's not really someone I want to particularly meet right now. Or ever really, haha."

"So uhhhh... I hope you all don't mind if I make myself scarce? Cooooool~"

And with that, Supercell collapsed into a cloud of gray mist that quickly dispersed into the night air. Soon, the suitcase wrenched itself from Ted's arms and took to the air too, "Ayy and I can also check this case on the way home since I'll have the time to figure if we've been bamboozled. You okay with that? Nice, thanks."

Man. He was having a nice evening too. Why'd his dad have to always ruin everything?

quote:

Theantero: Supercell Abscond your fat rear end!
Theantero: !r 2d6-2
Krysmbot: Theantero, 11-2 = 9

I choose to Abscond with the Suitcase and to check it out to see if we've been scammed.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Freak +2 | Danger -2 | Trouble +3 | Superior -1 | Menace +1
Curses! 1/5 | Infamy: 0 | Integrity: 3 | Conditions: None | Location: Parallax Hotel Rooftop

Strength watches as Supercell clouds off with the money, "Looks like we're splitting this joint, Haru." Strength shakes his head, "I get Super's deal, though, it's like... Dads, you know? Sometimes they can be tough to deal with." He leans over and picks Haruspex up by the armpits, holding her in the air with both hands, before kneeling down and placing her gently on his outstretched knee. "You know, when I was kid I joined the boy scouts just to please my dad, almost made Eagle." He punctuates this claim by tying a piece of Haruspex's robe, and his own, together in an efficient knot, "What really stopped me from putting the effort in was just, like -- I knew I was doing it for my dad, but I didn't want to do to all just for my dad, you get me?" He ties another knot between the pair's clothes, "I think Super's in the same situation, except instead of underachieving in the Scouts he joined a gang of villains too..." Strength stops talking for a moment, and slings Haruspex around his back before pulling the knots tight, latching her to him like a backpack, "Actually, maybe I don't get Super's deal?"

He starts to run down the fire escape, a gentle breeze at his back. Despite the mist and thunder in the distance, the air around him is crisp, and perfect for running. He catches up with the Raider's henchmen hauling the Sarcophagus, leaps over the side of the fire escape - skipping an entire set of stairs -- before being blown back into the structure by a strong gust of wind, falling unto the metal with a loud clang!

quote:

11:26 Scrree Strength Absconds With A Little Friend!
11:26 Scrree !r2d6+3
11:26 Scrree !r 2d6+3
11:26 Krysmbot Scrree, 8+3 = 11

STRENGTH reveals that he's absconded with his buddy, Haruspex!

After descending a few more flights of stairs, he pauses, "Yo, Haru!" He yells at the ally on his back. "It's kind of unfair to just leave the battle all up to the Raiders," he generates a small ball of fire in his hand, "I could make a pretty big flare, maybe draw some heat our way. What do you think?"

Scrree fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 14, 2017

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 2/5 | Infamy: 0 | Cards: 0 | Conditions: None! | Location: The Parallex Hotel

Being as she was in a trance, Haruspex took little note of STRENGTH's talk of father issues. Or, for that matter, his hoisting of her body and subsequent securing via elaborate robe-based knots. She was sure that given just a few more seconds, she would surely finish completely cataloging the various variables facing them. Her initial analysis was already complete, of course, but there was more she could do with enough time. With appropriate manipulation and analysis, she could then with perfect certainty... Something he said pushed past the analytical calm of her trance. He wanted to do what?

Haru's eyes snapped open, "You want to do what?" It was ludicrous! Why would they go through the trouble of evading their pursuers and then invite trouble to follow them? Yet, even so... It wasn't as if the Raiders had a real magician. They just had Yard Sale! He wasn't a real anything! Hm. The gratitude of one such as the Commander would be worthwhile if leveraged correctly. A risk, perhaps, but the two of them were most skilled. Unless they drew the attention of someone truly powerful, it was likely that they would emerge more or less unscathed. She sighed, "I suppose we must. But, STRENGTH..." Her voice wavered a bit, dropping from her usual grandiose tone. Curse the odd feelings he was provoking. "Don't do anything too rash. Get us out of here if it looks like we can't take them. You still need to tear down hopelessness, right?"

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Curses! 1/5 | Infamy: 0 | Integrity: 3 | Conditions: None | Location: Parallax Hotel Rooftop

"Haha, for sure. Haru!. Although, I'm more like 'Save The Sarcophagus' than 'Save The Rainforest' today..." Despite his off-beat tone, Save The Rainforest, Extrajudicial Nature Guerrilla Tearing-down Hopelessness is grinning widely at Haruspex's mention of his full nom-de-guerre. "Anyways, lets get this party started---" He pauses, looks at the flame in his hand for a second, and squelches it. Strength glances up, "Actually, the Raider's are taking the sarcophagus down the fire escape, right? Drawing their attention here would be pretty dumb. Let's head inside."

Strength starts to make long, flowing motions with his hands; muscle and mind working together in a way only he can understand. The moisture around the pair of villains coalesces into a long whip which, at Strength's command, attaches itself to the nearest window the Parallax in the form of a large circle. Strength pushes, and with the pop, the pane of glass is cut and falls inwards. With a sudden gust of wind lifting his feet, Strength dives into the now open hole into the Parallax proper -- landing on his elbows and knees so as not to crush Haruspex in a roll. Rising and brushing the dust off his robes, Strength raises his hand towards the broken window, and the water that cut it folds out and freezes, forming a new pane of ice, "That won't last forever, but it'll last until we're gone." He says with a smile.

Running through the Parallax, he arrives at a window on the north side of the hotel. He cuts through the glass the same way he did to enter, gathers a flame into his palm, but pauses, "Oh, you probably want down, right?"

He kneels down, so that Haruspex won't have to fall far, and unties the knots of their robes. Piggy-back ride over, the little oracle slides off his back.

Strength steps back up the window, flame alive in his hand. Under his breath, so quiet Haruspex can barely hear it, he whispers, "I'm Nature's Strength, baby!" And hurls the ball of fire hard into the sky surrounding the north side of the Parallax. It floats lazily upwards, gathering size as it rolls into the night's air. Back in the hotel, Strength let's the momentum of his throw spin him 360, and uses his other hand to pitch an invisible, concentrated ball of air into the fireball.

They collide in a voluminous explosion. Loud, but more for the amount of air it displaces than it's actual explosive power; Strength''s flare lights up the sky for a brief second. Bright, big, and definitely worth investigating -- Strength grins, if that doesn't get whoever's-coming-for-them's attentions, not much would.

Creating a Flare on the North-side of the Parallax to draw the some of the raiders (but not, The Raiders!) away from the rooftop and so split their forces!

Scrree fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 16, 2017

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Supercell
In your gaseous form, you quickly fly away from the Hotel. The night ligths of the high-end tourism neighborhoods zip around you as you let your tendrils of mist snake into the suitcase. Uh. There's actual cash in here. It's hard to judge the exact number and type of bill in there while speeding through the sky, but you're pretty sure that the Rooftop Raiders honored the part of the deal.

"Halt, earthling!"

Aw man. While you were busy checking the suitcase, two flying capes have flown over you, and are now keeping pace with your flying speed. One of them is directly above you, an individual with a perfectly blank face and body, like a mannequin, the color of silver. The metal that seems to compose is body ripples and bubbles around the chest; a formless protrusion emerges, as smooth and featureless as its owner until it hollows itself and assumes the form of a futuristic gun.

"Cease your escape or I shall be forced to freeze you into assuming a liquid form!" bellows Edecryo, Crown Prince of Pluto.

"Yeah, man!" squaks his companion, flying to your right on a jetpack designed to look like the dark green forewings of a coleopter, the delicate underwings being the flame of the jetpack itself. This gal, that you know as Antenna, sure intend to stick to her theme: her helmed, dark green like the rest of her body armor, has a bright orange visor shaped like the eyes of a fly or a similar bug, and is decorated with short, well, antennae. Now that you think about it, haven't you seen a pretty similar deal in a sentai show once?

"Don't make us do something that you'll regret!" She says, as she produces something from her utility belt. Is that...?

Aw, man!

Lucky Ted, Tiger Shark

A bright flash of lighting strikes the middle of the hotel's roof; it's followed by a earth-shaking thunderclap, as the Stormlord himself stands on the Parallax hotel, looking around. As inscrutable as divine beings can be, there is no mistaking that he is incredibly angry.

"YOU THERE" he thunders, pointing a finger at you. "WHERE IS MY SON?"

He is huge enough to make Overdose look like a child, immense bow in one hand, crackling thunderbolt in another, cape swishing in the wind that constantly surrounds him. You are barely aware of Hex Boy as he finishes his incantation, and some sort of gibbering six-armed purple monkey thows itself at the divine being. The Stormlord turns towards it, and as he incinerates it with a single throw of his thundebolt, Commander Dorokov gives the signal.

Razor and Razma Girl jump down, aimed towards the entrance of the Parallax Hotel

Hex Boy runs in the opposite direction searching for something in his hat.

The Commander runs down into the stairs leading into the hotel itself.

The confusion of everyone running in different direction, and the momentary distraction of vaporizing whatever the hell Hex Boy summoned might be your best chance to escape.

Simulacrum

You seem to hae escaped the Stormlord's notice for now; which is just as well, since the AI is letting you know that it's ready for departure.

Now, you could have them upload themselves on the mech, as was the plan, and have them make a run for it towards somewhere with Wi-fi or another connection to Internet, so long as it's not a secure connection like the one in Parallax Hotel. Then they'd be able to upload themselves into it and escape into the cyberworld.

quote:

This would be an Abscond roll that has you run away with the AI.

But that has the possibility of failure. What if the Stormlord notices you running away, and reacts violently? Its control over the weather could very well wreak havoc on your mech, and maybe even the AI secluded therein, if the damage was severe enough.

There is, however, an alternative.

It's clear that he wants Supercell. He doens't care about everyone else here, not really; give him a lead on his son (or lie convicingly enough), and he'll leave the rest of you alone.

Haruspex

The situation sure has escalated; even as you're bouncing around, tied securely onto STRENGTH's tunic, you can feel the immense magical energy coming from the roof. Whoever's in there, they're certainly a menace, clearly the strongest you've ever seen.

...right? Have you ever dabbled, or even just seen, something with powers as immense as those of a divine being?

STRENGTH
Your flare certainly did its work; someone from the approaching group of flying people is descending towards you. Two people, wearing matching cyan costumes with red masks, capes and symbols on their chests, the letters MM and DD; the gal is holding the guy's arms, since apparently he can't fly.

Oh hey! You've read about these folks! They're Maggie Marvelous and Dirk Daring! They're a couple of superhero celebrities: their parents, a famous actor and a director for Dirk, and a couple of food magnate for Maggie, actually contracted a bioresearch firm to develop superpowers for their children. They've been a couple for forever and are basically the media's darlings.

They seem to recognize you too! They're flying towards you with a look of undersanding on their faces. Maybe they watch your videos? Or maybe they've heard of your exploits? Oh man, wouldn't it be grand if you could help them escape the pressure and problematic nature of their roles, helping them like you did with Overdose?

Haruspex
...it suddenly occurs to you that there's a price on your heads. And that the parents of the supercouple probably have invested in some of the industries that you pissed off with your first caper. And that they're approaching rather fast, and Dirk Daring appears to be winding his legs as if to kick you...

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 17, 2017

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Trouble +1 | Superior +2 | Menace -2
Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: Angry | Location: Somewhere above the city streets

"Hehe. Right man, like, I appreciate your theme and all, good job sticking to it", Supercell re-materializes and gives a little thumbs up to Antenna, "But that's honestly a bit gross ya dig?" a puff, and a squint-eyed leer at the crown prince, "And like... don't I know you from somewhere? Hades has that lil' getaway on Pluto I think? It's real swanky by the way you really should visit someday, haha."

"But anyway, isn't the Queen of Pluto real isolationist? You aren't even supposed to be here, are you?"

A grin spread on Supercell's face.

"Hehe, but don't worry I won't snitch on you. Like that isn't even a blackmail type thing, I just think we all should be free to go wherever you know? I don't mind you being here really, it's a shared universe after all so why be constrained to one place right? ", another puff, "And like I don't see why you should care about me being here either? I just want to get back to base so how about we just go our separate ways? Nobody has to get bothered or hurt and everybody wins."

He probably could take these two in a fight, but any excess lightning flinging would probably just clue Dad into his location, and that's something he wanted to avoid...

quote:

Theantero: Supercell sez: 'bruh don't I know you..?'
Theantero: !r 2d6+2
Krysmbot: Theantero, 3+2 = 5

Curse your inscrutable alien royal lineage!

I do Advance though! I take the "Add +2 to either Label your predecessor expects or represses" one and increase my Trouble as Supercell becomes more comfortable with the fact that he's a slippery ball of lazy mainly in this for his own arbitrary whims.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 17, 2017

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 2/5 | Infamy: 0 | Cards: 0 | Conditions: None! | Location: It's Basically A Double Date

Haruspex slid off of STRENGTH's back and to the floor without complaint. Perhaps she continued clutching STRENGTH's robe longer than was strictly necessary, but nobody could prove any such thing occurred. She certainly wouldn't admit to it. Her eyes narrowed as she looked up towards the roof. That power was almost blinding to behold with her mystical senses. Though she wasn't about to admit it to anyone, it was far beyond anything she had meddled with before. Minor spirits? Every day. Spirits of great import? Most certainly. Actual deities? Not by a long shot. Its very presence seemed to twist and distort the lines of fate. The magical signature indicating the utter failure of Yard Sale's worthless conjuration was small comfort, of course, as was the fact that the mysterious deity showed no signs of pursuing the two of them. For that reason, and surely that reason alone, she found herself somewhat unprepared for the Wonder Twins and their sudden appearance.

She was aware of them, as most people were, which only stood to reason. They were famous. Even an utter simpleton would be familiar with their profile. It wasn't as if she spent any time pursuing their media coverage or perused the tabloid covers or had, at one point, been a member of their fan club. That would be ludicrous! She would never spend her precious time in such a frivolous manner. She definitely did not have a secret stash of Teen Hero magazines hidden under her bunk in the hideout, of which they starred in many of the issues.

Despite all those things which were completely and utterly not the case, Haruspex found herself at a bit of an impasse. She couldn't very well trump them with physical power and STRENGTH, while strangely attractive and inventive with the use of his powers, was probably not going to beat up the both of them for her. What would he do? Well, the situation with Overdose ran through her thoughts. He had taken the time to yammer at a hardened criminal for so long and with such conviction that they had simply succumbed to his incredibly odd world view. What might he accomplish if given time to work on a pair of reasonable human beings? Why, they might not only avoid physical conflict, but extricate themselves with signed goods! For the purposes of selling, of course. Certainly not to decorate their quarters. That would be juvenile.

Haruspex looked over to STRENGTH and murmured, "Follow my lead."

Haru threw a charm out towards the approaching heroes and, simultaneously, enhanced her vocal cords with a simple spell. The charm exploded into a brief display of a large stop sign, complete with helpful translation into every known language of the world and, additionally, several ones that she had invented upon a whim.

Hoping that the display would help arrest their momentum and give her time to present her case, she began to speak with a voice augmented by magic, "Maggie Marvelous and Dirk Daring! Cease your attack! By the seventh statute of the Conventions of the Supernatural, signed and ratified by all major heroic institutions, known villainous entities who are encountered while not in the immediate engagement of lawbreaking activities are able to request a verbal parley!" She paused, drawing in more breath. "We wish to engage in a non-violent discussion such that we can resolve the current situation in a peaceable manner! Are you not heroes? Do you not intend to honor the very laws you've sworn to uphold?"

This was, strangely enough, an actual convention and Haruspex was within her rights to request parley. It had fallen out of use in recent years and was actually intended to serve as a common ground for forming temporary alliances with villains against world-shaking threats, but the rule of law was clear and precedent was on her side. Now would they heed her words? It was unclear. They did look quite unhappy. They likely had ill will towards the two given their corporate backing. They might even argue that the transfer of illicit goods that they had interrupted was a lawbreaking activity. Bring it on. Haru longed for such a battle of syntax and wit. They may possess muscle and height of which she could only dream, but they were hardly her mental equals.

quote:

12:21 PM <Tricky> Haru provokes the wondertwins to solve their problems with words!
12:21 PM <Tricky> !r 2d6+3
12:21 PM <Tricky> rip Krysmbot? D:
12:22 PM <Tricky> 12:22 PM <Tricky> !r 2d6+3
12:22 PM <Tricky> 12:22 PM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 11+3 =
12:22 PM <Tricky> rolled it in swampthings, worked there

They do it!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"Did you seriously expect your son to work up the energy to come here?" Simulacrum taunts the Stormlord from the side. "He isn't here. He went to the northern mall, his 'heist' being stuffing himself full of frozen pizza."

She leaves a pause. "For the record, my analysis suggested that he may be unable to get himself out of bed most mornings. In some ways, Supercell is performing above expectations. It is most unfortunate those expectations are very, very low."

quote:

02:54 Yamifenrir Simulacrum provokes Stormlord!
02:54 Yamifenrir !r 2d6+3
02:54 Krysmbot Yamifenrir, 4+3 = 7

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 18, 2017

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Curses! 2/5 | Infamy: 0 | Integrity: 3 | Conditions: None | Location: Parallax Hotel Rooftop

Oh, those two, huh...

Man, their story was so messed up. The idea of 'bio-engineering' the next generation is a big, hot button issue of the current era, and Maggie and Dirk's whole scientific origin was often touted in the newspapers as 'the way it should be done'.

It all made Strength pretty angry. He had stumbled upon his powers, and his mission, in a moment of revelation -- but to be born with superhuman might and responsibility? No, responsibility wasn't even the right word because they weren't being 'responsible' for anything! As 'heroes', they were protecting the corrupt corporate system that was destroying the world! They were created with great power, without asking for it, into great irresponsibility. And that got to Strength, it really did.

Well, it was time for some immediate action to fix this. He grins broadly when Haruspex creates a stop sign and invokes the right of parlay. "Smart thinking, Haru!" He whispers to the little Oracle, "I wasn't really looking forward to fighting just to protect that big coffin, but if we start talk it out... we can keep them busy, and maybe even get the two on our side!" Optimistically, Strength steps a bit closer to the window, not even considering the possibility that they could ignore Haruspex's request for peace. "Yo!" He waves at the pair, "Maggie and Dirk, right? Hard to mistake those costumes, haha."

It was time for Strength to sell his message. That meant pushing the conversation, but trying not to get into a debate. Once people started to use 'logic and facts' to refute him, he found he could never reach them for some reason. Gotta keep it personal, "What brings you two here? Official hero business? Personal? ...Family?"

He looks directly at the flying girl, "Especially you, Mags. Weren't you in the news just two weeks ago for helping fight the great sea serpent of Tobago?"

quote:

23:50 Scrree Strength Pierces, hm, let's say Maggie's mask!
23:50 --- Scrree is back
23:50 Scrree !r 2d6+1
23:50 Krysmbot Scrree, 3+1 = 4
23:50 Scrree oh nooooooooooo
23:50 Tricky rip D:
Marking Curses!

"Pretty uncool, like, that thing's lived in the ocean longer than humans have. If it's wrecking boats, maybe people should stop sailing boats around there, duh."

Oh, did he say that last part out loud? He'd meant to keep the conversation neutral until he found an in, but his true feelings just totally slipped out. Well... maybe the two of them are actually really cool and they still don't need to fight?

Scrree fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 22, 2017

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Simulacrum, Lucky Ted, Tiger Shark
The storm god thunders; his body literally turns darker, as he slides through the air, quick as lighting, towards you.

"WATCH YOUR MOUTH, CONSTRUCT. HE HAS STRAYED FROM THE PATH, BUT HE IS STILL MY SON." He then looks up, watching the boiling sky. He seems to be in some sort of trance.

quote:

Stormlord errs by lowering his guard in front of these nobodies! Simulacrum takes +1 against him.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Simulacrum resisted the urge to snark back at him. After all, she was a strictly logical being and capable of picking actual gain over personal satisfaction. As such she ignored the Stormlord and went back onto the ship, checking in on the AI that had just arrived.

"Ted? That should be everyone still on the roof - let's be gone once he wakes up again."

quote:

23:13 Yamifenrir Alright, Sim uses this opportunity to get the hell out! ... maybe
23:13 Robodog groovy, man
23:13 *** Krysmbot joined #capers!
23:13 Yamifenrir !r 2d6+1
23:13 Krysmbot Yamifenrir, 8+1 = 9
Simulacrum reveals that she absconded with the AI!

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 25, 2017

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Freak -2 | Danger +0 | Trouble +2 | Superior +1 | Menace +2
Curses! 2/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: | Location: Parallax Hotel Rooftop

Well this is the worst business meeting Ted had ever had the displeasure of attending.

Actually, it was probably more like the fourth, or the third at the outmost. The top five at least.

Supercell took the money out of his hands and ran for it, they didn't even have enough time to check it first (Although in this world of crooks in capes trust is a valuable commodity and a reputation for screwing a business partner tends to stick), Haru and Strength followed him, Simulacrum is doing Simulacrum things and here was Ted with his girlfriend on a roof and there was a god like right there and he was really pissed and looking for Supercell. Now Ted even in the most optimistic assessment of his team's capabilities could maybe possibly barely just under the margin match Stormlord in a fight if they all fought him at the same time as hard as they possibly could and maybe if he had just come off of another fight entirely.

But just the two of them, and one ghost providing Immoral support from the guidelines because her ability to effect meatspace was limited, was a footnote on the page of the most one sided fights in all of history, possibly under the Charge of the Light Brigade and the Alamo. Now the God was in a trance and not noticing them, which was good, but he was probably looking for Supercell, which was bad, because most likely that idiot got caught up with the other mooks looking for them and still had the money and if the Stormlord started throwing lightning bolts he'd probably burn away their take and they'd be back to square one.

So that couldn't happen and a fight would end badly. The tried and tested options of 'Start A' Shootin'' and 'Do Nothing Because It's Not Your Problem' having failed, Ted had to resort to the other standby he always went to in any situation.

Bluff like your life depends on it, and lie through your teeth. "Gabby." He said very quietly to his Girlfriend, palming something into her hand. "Get in the Moonlifter and go, if you can pick the others up, do that because we need that money and unfortuantly that means we need them too. I'll be along shortly" He was about to add 'I hope' but stopped himself because of the look on her face at that moment made him suspect she would never agree to this plan otherwise. He smiled instead "I ain't called Lucky Ted for nothing, trust me on this one, please?" He pat her on the shoulder and went to confront his uncertain death.

He hadn't taken any visible weapons to the meeting with the Raiders, taking guns to a meeting of criminals was a faux pas in any case and he had been to far too meetings that ended in guns being drawn because tempers flared and it was easier to shoot than think. He had no other weapons on his immediate person either, this was important, no one would say afterwards he was armed in anyway.

He wondered how to go about the business of breaking the Demigod's trance and making him pay attention solely to him for the moment without actually getting killed in the process, after all he needed the Money to get away safe and sound, so that meant allowing Supercell to escape also. Nothing too aggressive, or he'd get electrocuted again, and nothing too passive or he'd probably not be noticed.

So he carefully picked up a rock, and threw it.

22:21 TheNabster Let's roll for a Distraction
22:21 TheNabster Ted Plays the Hands Up Don't Shoot Stratagem. +2 Trouble
22:22 TheNabster !r 2d6+2
22:22 Krysmbot TheNabster, 6+2 = 8
22:22 TheNabster Good enough!

- You confuse them for some time.

It dinged off of his helmet, nothing hard enough to cause injury, but enough to annoy.

"Oi!" He said cupping his hands and shouting over the storm. "The Valhalla Treaty of 1987 strictly forbids the direct interference of Gods on this mortal plane unless on dire business that pertains ice giants, titans, approaching Ragnarok, rogue gods, cleaning up after trickster gods or visiting immediate family. What business do you have on this earthly plane oh Lord of Storms?"

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 25, 2017

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Freak + 0 | Danger + 2 | Trouble -1 | Superior + 0 | Menace + 2
Curses! 1/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: Angry

Well poo poo.

Of all the heroes to show up, it had to be Supercell's freakin' dad. Great. Why couldn't it have been, I dunno, Phantom Ghost instead? At least that's somebody we'd have an actual chance with in a fight. Doesn't help that the rest of the team bailed on us and left me and Ted to deal with the pissed off god.

I lower my head to look at Ted when he starts whispering to me. He can't- he can't seriously be asking me to leave without him, can he? I can't- I won't! I need to stay and protect him! But then he gives me that look, and I'm unable to say "no" to him. I grip tightly to the object he handed to me, "...Fine," I turn to the direction of the ship, and say, "But you better come back," before I make a run for it to the Moonlifter.

I make my way to the bridge, and prepare myself to steer the ship away. "Alright, Simmy," I call out the AI, "Let's find the others and get the hell out of here."

I stare at the direction Ted should be right now, unable to hide my concern for him, and quietly say to myself, "Please come back to me, mi amor."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Supercell

You have no idea how Edecryo is taking your fast-talking; it's hard to read the expression of someone with a completely blank face. The gun is still pointed at him, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he's not picking up what you're putting down, is it?

"Antenna, I tire of this being's incessant prattle. We have caught him at a crime scene, that's plenty motive."
Apparently, it is.

His partner isn't so sure. "But Cree-cree, that wasn't really-"
"NOW; Antenna!"

Before you can answer anything, a slender cyan ray zaps out and invests you. You feel extremely chilly all of a sudden, and you feel your form slowly change from gaseous to liquid. You are losing altitude fast! What's worse, Antenna, after producing an upset cry, throws her Bug Bomb at you and-

Oh no. Oh no. They are inside of you! Half swimming, half flying through your form! This is so gross!

quote:

Supercell marks a condition for being bug bombed, and is now quickly descending.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: Paranoid | Location: Somewhere above the city streets

"Ughhh that was like... totally uncalled for you know", Supercell stated, as he coalesced back into his fleshy, corporeal form, forcibly ejecting the various bugs inhabiting him. He shakes his cloud-sofa too for good measure, inflicting a sudden rain of gross critters on the people below. A moment later he shoves his hand inside it, and procures a bowl of buttered popcorn, which he peers into with a grimace. "See", he shows the contents to the two attackers, "the snacks I prepared are infested with, like, worms and poo poo now", he then proceeds to dump the contents of the bowl onto the streets below, again to the consternation of the hapless locals.

"Like seriously drat, no manners at all. Just no chill whatsoever."

Supercell blinked a few times, peered at Edecryo, and burst into laughter. And we are talking big, fat guffaws here. "HAHAHHAH oh man, I didn't even mean to make that pun. Totally accidental", Supercell took a puff from his pipe, still snickering under his breath, and taking a moment to calm down, "Yeah but like... hm, where was I?" he scratched his cheek idly, "Well whatever it was, I really sort of need to get going. Don't even have the time to smite you down for your mortal impudence or whatever. So uh see ya later or something."

And thus, with a lazy, smarmy grin, and a lazier mock salute, Supercell suddenly blasted away at gale speeds, leaving the two behind. He just hoped his dad hadn't homed in on him on the meantime.

Eh, he probably hadn't.

...Right?

quote:

Theantero: Supercell make the ZOOM ZOOM and Abscond!
Theantero: !r 2d6-1
Krysmbot: Theantero, 11-1 = 10

Right, as my Condition I take Paranoid, as Supercell is ever so worried about his dad finding him. As my option for the successful Abscond, I clear Angry, as Supercell has had adequate time to cool down by now. Bad laughs certainly also made the process slightly easier :v:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Haruspex, STRENGTH

Maggie Marvelous deviates her trajectory slightly upwards, flying over you while carrying her boyfriend in her arms. Dirk Daring's feet swing over your head, even as he protests.

"C'mon, Maggie! We know that they were doin' something shady in here!"
"It's not like we SAW them, you idiot! What if they have a camera on them and stream us beating them up?"

The redheaded boy grumbles something hard to make out as he is deposited, his green eyes scanning the two of you suspiciously. In all of his posters (that of course Haruspex has merely looked upon with disdain, and not owned and cherished) he always looked somewhat blocky, a bit on the brawny side, especially when compared to his more slender, long-limbed partner, but this is even more notable in real life. He is downright stocky, which underlines the feat of resistance and strength that are attributed to him. He could very easily reach for a huge potted plant two steps away from him and throw it whole at you, fast enough to crack bones.

Maggie, after depositing Dirk, gracefully lands at a certain distance from you, hands on her hips, cute button nose wrinkly even as her eyes give an hint of an angry red light; her laser sight is at the ready.
"Alright, smart mouth, have your parley, even though I'd argue that you're not even in the public area of the hotel, and since I doubt you were invited in a case could be made for you being culpable of breaking and entering."
Oh no, Haruspex, you hadn't considered that. She continues, looking archedly at STRENGTH, her blonde locks framing her stony expression. "And for your information, string bean, me and my fellow Young Wonders relocated that sea serpent where it would no harm and still have plenty of food and space to swim. Try reading more than clickbait articles in the future."

quote:

Since Maggie Marvelous sure showed you up, STRENGTH, and called you out on not properly researching what you're saying, which is important for an activist, she gets Influence over you.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 2/5 | Infamy: 0 | Cards: 0 | Conditions: None! | Location: It's Basically A Double Date

As soon as Maggie mentioned the possibility of being film, Haruspex knew she had them. It was a simple enough matter to begin an arcane recording of the conversation, though she doubted anyone would be particularly happy to see it come to light. Perhaps certain clips could be converted to a more technological format and uploaded to the YouTube that STRENGTH so favored, but ideally it would not come to that.

With the challenge thrown down, Haruspex inwardly grinned. The game was afoot. She shrugged and answered Maggie's accusation, "I do suppose one could assert that, though you would naturally have to provide proof first that I am not engaging in a lawful use of property such as, say, a stay within a luxury resort with a good friend? You, of all people, should understand that places of a certain... class, shall we say, tend to ask little in the way of questions if one's credit is good. I'm sure you have the resources to verify such, but... Well, that would be a violation of the spirit of parlay. An indication of acting in poor faith! And..." Haruspex pulled herself to her full, though still diminutive, height, and dramatically pointed upwards. "I trust you'd rather recover an artifact of historical and arcane import, rather than hassle two people simply trying to enjoy their vacation! This is my offer, Maggie Marvelous! I will give you what you need to pursue an item of significant value and in exchange..."

This was a gamble. If her words were too immediately convincing and the offer accepted without hesitation, the good-will they had surely gathered by drawing off some of the pursuit would just as surely melt away. If they weren't tempted at all, negotiations would fail outright. She did have the necessary resources to back her word with a simple tracking device, given all of the readings and measurements she had taken before the exchange took place, and the Raiders weren't exactly the most arcane-savvy group. The chances of them actually accounting for arcane pursuit was minimal. The fact that they relied on Yard Sale's feeble talents to counteract the deity on the roof was indicator enough of that.

"...all I ask is that we would be allowed to enjoy the remainder of our stay unmolested by the forces of justice." Haruspex shrugged. "I realize that you might be tempted by the price on our heads and, perhaps, the chance for vengeance on the sake of your parents' investment accounts, but surely noble heroes such as yourself are above such base concerns...?"

This would play well with a detached audience. The muscular frame of Dirk, while aesthetically intriguing, clearly delegated him to the role of an enforcer for the much more mentally agile Maggie. Haruspex focused on the latter as she waited for their response.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Curses! 2/5 | Infamy: 0 | Integrity: 2 | Conditions: None | Location: Parallax Hotel Rooftop

drat, they'd got him with that. Strength frowned, it was rare for him not to have an absolute moral highground in a conversation, but now was one of those times. “...If that’s what you did, then... good work. Honestly, I’ve got no complaints.”

After that blunder, letting Haruspex take the lead seemed like a good idea; although where exactly she was going was a bit of a mystery? Selling out the Raiders? He wasn’t a big fan of the gerontocractic-organization, but betraying business partners before the first sale was technically even complete just seemed like bad policy. Lucky definitely wouldn’t approve.

Was she even serious about leading the wonder-pair to the Sarcophagi, though? If he remembered right, her vote was too keep it at the base… Haruspex appropriated old and wondrous things. She was kind of like a conservationist, as long as the items were conserved in her possession. Strength liked that about her.

Well, whatever her game plan was, it relied on selling the two of them as a vacationing couple. Totally uninvolved in any crime; at least on this night. Normally, Strength was all about the ideology. This was a bit… personal, but if he knew anything, it was how to sell!

“Yeah, it’d be one thing if you found us in a robbed bank or a burning logging camp or something but,” Strength moved closer to Haruspex, “It’s not real ‘heroic’ to bust our vacation. I don’t get to spend a lot of free time with--” He kneels down and plants a light kiss on Haruspex’s cheek, “mon peteet bijou.” Strength stands back up, a small but honest smile on his face, “Like, I’m sure you two’ve had days where you just want relax, maybe go out for some sushi, and Lord Octopus decides that’s the day he’s going to raid every place that sells seafood in the city.” Strength shakes his head as if this whole situation is pitiable, “I’m sure you’ve been there. We’re here now. Have a little heart.”

quote:

Scrree - Today at 11:14 PM
/r 2d6+3 #Strength Distracts the Teen Wonders, also, @Tricky how does This Keep Happening To Our Characters!?!
SidekickBOT - Today at 11:14 PM
@Scrree: 2d6+3 = (1+5)+3 = 9
Distracting them! They are fooled, at least for the moment, and I choose to avoid immediate retaliation for this.

“Plus, my girl knows her stuff. She can point you to a good find.” Strength gives Haruspex a quick wink, “’Heroes Recover Long Lost Artifact!’ is a much better headline than “Teen Wonders Bust Up Couple for Loitering.’” He points towards the window he shoot the flare out of, “That’s why I let you know we’re here. Because, like, we can all decide together to just let each other have a good night. You’re on business, we’re on pleasure, and it can stay that way.”

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

For a moment, the labyrinthine collection of plots and schemes that composed Haruspex's very being slammed to a halt. Her face grew incredibly red as she pulled her hat down around her face. That... that... that incredibly handsome devil! He would pay for this! Possibly with a meal of some sort! And, perhaps, some form of subsequent entertainment! The bon mot that would surely have convinced the heroes of her absolute sincerity — as though she was capable of such! — died in her throat as she let out an embarrassed mumble and nudged her feet together.

Though she outwardly seemed unable to function, it was but a mere moment before the perfect scheme occurred to her. She fished in her sleeve and, with a careful motion, skidded a small talisman over to the heroes. Haruspex sighed, seemingly completely sincerely, "Just... just take it. It'll get you what you want." It was a tracker, yes, and it was even — mostly — calibrated to find the Sarcophagus. It wasn't exactly finished, though, and would quickly lose focus without her making the necessary adjustments every few minutes.

More than enough time to get the Wonder Twins out of their life, though, and if the Rooftop Raiders couldn't escape a pair of teen heroes in that short a time... Well, that was simply their own incompetence. Holding on to STRENGTH's hand, she sent a subtle spark of magic dancing up his arm and to his eyes. In his vision it added a small, translucent word-bubble over her head that said: TRACKER IS FAKE. KEEP UP GOOD WORK. -HARU

Spending that point of plan to bump the Distract to a 10!

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Curses! 2/5 | Infamy: 0 | Integrity: 2 | Conditions: None | Location: Parallax Hotel Rooftop

With a dopey smile on his face, Strength gestures towards the tracker. With a quick flex of his powers he coils a small whirl of wind underneath it, raising it to eye-level so that neither of the two heroes are forced to bend down to pick it up. "See, just the thing! And, it's handcrafted and artisanal , so you know it's gonna work."

Feeling a bit bold, Strength turns away from Maggie and Dirk. His eye fall on his and Haruspex encoiled hands, "Really, I might be Nature's Strength." His gaze travels up to her face, "But this girl's Nature's Smarts!" Bam. Nailed it. With great lines like that, how could anyone doubt their claim to be starstruck lovers on a romantic getaway? How could anyone guess that this was all a cynical ploy to raise their status with the Raiders (and keep from getting punched). Of course, that is ultimately what all of this is... Right?

Haruspex's hand felt warm in his.

The distract roll was raised to 10+, so I am choosing the They Are Confused For Some Time option!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Lucky Ted, Tiger Shark, Simulacrum
The Stormlord doesn't seem to react to the thrown; perhaps he doesn't even feel it. The mention of the Valhalla Treaty, however, seems to rile him up.

"YOU MORTALS. SO EAGER TO HIDE BEHIND A PIECE OF PAPER." He makes his way towards Ted, who seems especially short when compared to the immense storm titan. "THERE WAS A TIME, LITTLE MAN, WHEN YOUR PEOPLE MADE UP FOR THEIR MAYFLY EXISTANCE BY FIGHTING THEIR OWN BATTLES! GETTING WHAT THEY WANTED BY THE STRENGTH OF THEIR BODIES AND THE CUNNING OF THEIR MINDS! NOT BECAUE A PIECE OF PAPER SAYS THEY SHOULD! THEY EARNED WHAT LITTLE THEY HAD!

Well, his trance is certainly interrupted, and his rant seems to have only just getting started. PRoblem is, he's all up in your face now. How to escape?

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Freak -2 | Danger +0 | Trouble +2 | Superior +1 | Menace +2
Curses! 4/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: Afraid | Location: Parallax Hotel Rooftop

Good news, I have his attention, that should keep eyes off of the rest of the gang until they are clear of this mess. Bad news is, well, I have his attention, and whoooooo boy that high top mountain air must have done that boy some good because he is huge. Stick with the plan, keep talking, talk the talk and... Talk the talk.

Don't think about how if he threw a punch it would probably kill you.

"What little they had was owned by the man who paid the soldiers! Our puny human world ruled by paper is better then the 'golden age' ruled by serfdom. All that happened was the man with the biggest sword owned everything and those who couldn't defend themselves were just slaves."

He spread his arms wide, staring the Stormlord directly in the face "And then the world collectively realized that Might makes Right was a drat silly way to govern a world, you remember Alexander the Great right? Hell you probably gave him a leg up, he's your kind of boy right? What happened come the finish? Poisoned by one of his compatriots and his sons pissed away the empire practically overnight and that was the end of his glorious empire. All these great warriors like Attila the Hun and Ghengis Khan who ruled great swaths of land and were challenged by by no one and the moment they died it was all over. And that's your legacy of glorious conquests Oh Bring of Storms, one rising star followed by several ignoble failures."

"This is not a recipe for continued everlasting success surely?"

21:15 TheNabster Lucky Ted is gonna attempt some Mask Piercing
21:15 TheNabster !r 2d6+2
21:15 Krysmbot TheNabster, 4+2 = 6
21:15 TheNabster Myeh

Trying to get an angle on a god from your perspective as a mortal is pretty difficult Ted would admit, for one thing he was too busy thinking about all the ways this plan could go horribly wrong if the Stormlord decided talking was for the little people and attacked.

EDIT: A roll to reject influence apparently?

22:28 TheNabster Gonna reject God Dad
22:28 TheNabster !r 2d6
22:28 Krysmbot TheNabster, 3 = 3
22:28 TheNabster Nyet

Didn't work, marking Afraid

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 17, 2017

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Lucky Ted, Tiger Shark, Simulacrum

"I TIRE OF YOUR INCESSANT BABBLING, GNAT."
The Stormlord makes a gesture with his hand, and an howling wind picks Ted up, and throws him at full strength against the Moonlifter's pilot window. His breath is knocked out of his chest as a spiderweb of cracks appears on it; as Ted slides down, the voice of the Stormlord thunders.
"HOW UNSURPRISING THAT MY SON, NEVER A WARRIOR HIMSELF, WOULD SURROUND HIMSELF WITH SUCH WEAKLINGS. IT'S MY FAULT, REALLY, FOR BEING SO SOFT WITH HIM. GO AHEAD THEN, SON OF PAPER, VASSAL OF INK: CRAWL BACK TO THE HOLE THAT YOU CAME FROM. AND KNOW THIS: IF OUR PATHS CROSS AGAIN, AND YOU AGAIN HIDE CAESAR FROM ME, YOU WILL REMEMBER MY WRATH FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!

With that, he disappears in a violent thunderclap, leaving behind cloudy weather and the stink of ozone.

quote:

The Stormlord thinks you're a coward, not a warrior: increase Trouble and reduce Danger. Also mark a condition.
Since this isn't a dangerous situation anymore, you can leave without rolling if you so wish. Keep in mind, however, that the approaching flyers were threw in disarray by the Stormlord's appearance, and might return if you tarry too long. You probably have some time before that, though, since you can't see them around.

STRENGTH, Haruspex
Maggie Marvelous makes a face at the display of affection, but she does grab the tracker. She studies it for a second, then looks up to the 'couple'.
"Alright, whatever. You're lucky that our sponsors wouldn't appreciate PR problems, not even for the fat bounty on your capture. I'm sure we'll see you soon enough, doing something that we can throw you in the Birdhouse for."
She signals her boyfriend that they are leaving; he stops looking at the both of you, a (melancholic?) smile on his face and lets Maggie grab him by the arms and fly away, following the fake tracker's lead.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

"Hope you'll enjoy your night as much as we'll enjoy ours!" Strength calls out as the heroic duo fly away. As they disappear into the mist, he gives them a slow and gentle goodbye wave.

They're probably gone. "Yo!" Strength yells, grabbing Haruspex by the midriff and hoisting her into the air, "That was amazing Haru! They didn't suspect a thing!" He spins in a circle, holding Haruspex just above eye level and twirling with her playfully, "I thought I kind of blew it, but then you pulled out the vacation thing, and then the tracker thing, and it just worked out!" Strength put Haruspex down and gave her messy blue hair an effusive rub before stepping back towards the open window, "I bet you fore-saw it all, right? No surprises for Haru, haha."

This had been good. They'd gotten away and occupied two heroes form messing with the rest of the team. Strength let himself stop appreciating his and Haru's brilliant ploy for moment -- their success did create a new question...

"What do we do now?" He turned back to Haru, "I mean, we were told to run, and we did, and we even distracted the 'GM-Oheroes' from messing up the deal. So do we head back up and check on the team? Or..." He'd been lying about the whole vacation thing, but if their duty was done, then relaxing was kind of the natural thing to do. Right?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Somewhat — or, more accurately, entirely — caught off-guard by STRENGTH's enthusiastic celebration of their intellectual conquest of Maggie Marvelous and Dirk Daring, Haru did little but hide under her hat for a few moments while she regained her composure. She briefly looked up at the roof and consulted the auras she could still envision before making a displeased look. Haru finally said, "No, I don't think we should go back up there. It looks like Ted is still there, but so is something... really bad. If he wanted us to change the plan, he would have signaled by now. If we go up, we'll just be putting a metaphorical wrench in his plot."

She looked up at STRENGTH, her mouth surely opening to suggest some diabolical plot, when a loud grumble from her stomach left her mute with embarrassment. In a departure from her usual amounts of unparalleled poise and grandeur, she shyly added, "...maybe we can get something to eat?"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Some time later...
You find yourself once again back into the old military base, notably richer and more infamous. Simulacrum, having decided to continue their crusade for the liberation of all AIs by staying full time in cyberspace, has decided to leave it to you meatsacks. So you are once again around the meeting room, ready to try your hands at another caper.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Freak -2 | Danger -1 | Trouble +3 | Superior +1 | Menace +2
Curses! 4/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: Afraid | Location: Military Base

After prying himself off of the windscreen of the Moonlifter, and taking a breather Ted considered the after-action report on that, impromptu escape mission. They had the money, the correct amount of money at that so that was good. And the trade went off without a hitch except that one big hitch, after all they seemed to be after us, not the thing we came with, that was also good and he didn't die when he tried to talk down a War God followed by him slapping him off the rooftop and calling him a little bitch.

That hurt a little more then Ted would admit if he was honest. Ted wasn't a fighter he would be the first to admit that, he was the planner; the schemer; the pilot; the techie (Well technically Simulcrum was the Techie but she seems to have vanished) he filled all the unflattering nitty gritty roles they needed in their misadventures and he in turn relied on them to sling powers around and his girlfriend to have the strength to drive a fist through a tank.

But a coward? No, and yet that encounter was leaving him shaking in his bones and he was trying hard not to show it. So many things could have gone wrong, in a roundabout sense they did go wrong. But they were all alive and present, except the person who wasn't but she seemed content on still letting them use her base so, that was okay he guess. He got up to get changed, work needed to be done.

---

By hook or by crook or by getting Tiger Shark to pick them up bodily and drag them there, Ted once again had the MSF around the table. They had money, they had infamy, now all that was left was to do something with it. But first...

"Afternoon Gents and Ladies, let's get down to business. There is a very, very large elephant in this room that needs addressing immediately."

"The exchange of the coffin for the money succeeded, we now have money, they have the coffin, and yet this private meeting that was organized between me and the Rooftop Raiders representative with no outside influence or interference and should have been a secret to everyone but me and them, somehow got gatecrashed by two separate heroic parties who homed in on our position to kick the poo poo out of us. I don't like this one bit and I wish for it to never happen again."

"So we either need to follow back to whoever sent one of those groups after us, and politely ask them to cut that poo poo out and maybe kick some rear end, or we need someway of making sure that between missions and deals someone can't just track us down to our base and cut our throats in our sleep."

"Any one wish to offer a suggestion to either of these ends?"

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 30, 2017

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Curses! 0/5 | Infamy: 0 | Conditions: Paranoid | Location: Somewhere above the city streets

Supercell merely shrugged his considerable bulk as he lounged on his decadent cloud.

"I dunno man, could'be been, like, a number of folk you know what I'm saying?", he peered over his shoulder, puffed on his pipe, exhaled, and was silent for a couple of seconds before continuing, "Like dad alone knows a whole bunch of diviners and oracles and such, and if he's got it out for me he could've consulted... basically any of them I think?"

Another puff.

"No need to get all scaredy tho, the oracles of hellenic tradition tend to be a cryptic lot so it's not like he'll be getting anything super accurate out of them any time soon, so relaaax", Supercell scratched his cheek idly, "I did spot the crown prince of Pluto in there though, so seems like something fairly big is going on."

"So eh, I don't really have much of a lead. I suppose we could go check out the Hellenic Friendship Association, they're the ones here most liable to have info on my dad and his movements on the area and why he's here. Maybe go rough up one of their higher ups, I dunno."

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Strength was still in his druidic regalia. It was just so comfortable, so why not? His elbow rested on the table, hand cupping his chin, face pensive.

"I know this isn't really the conversation, but I just want to throw it out -- I don't think we should be too scared of drawing attention. I didn't turn away from 'legit' protests groups just to hide in the shadows, and I think that no matter how carefully we move, we're gonna get some kind of heat."

Strength waved one hand through the air slowly, trying to articulate the scale of the universe through gesture, "It's like, when things get more force, more momentum, they get brighter and pull other things into them. It's one of the rules of nature. It's like, science. You can't help it."

"As for what we should do next, though, I..." Strength went silent, hand back on his chin, thoughts grinding towards an answer.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 2/5 | Infamy: 0 | Cards: 0 | Conditions: None! | Location: Diabolical Planning Session

Haruspex tapped the meeting table in a rough, staccato beat as Ted laid out his concerns. It was a fair point to raise. She hardly wanted Supercell's father appearing in the midst of their hidden refuge. But how best to mask their presence? A new base? An elaborate array of enchantments and deceptive traps? Some technological marvel? It seemed that each would leave some vulnerabilities that their do-gooder opposition would be able to exploit. Surely not a simple solution, by any means.

She looked over to Strength, her face blushing a bit as she did, then said, "I see your point, Strength. Yet, even so, perhaps it is best not to think of it as skulking in the shadows... but simply ensuring that our movements remain beyond the reach of those that would see your mission stopped. I have no doubt we will continue to make enemies as we make ever more daring strikes against those who would deny us our due. It seems a waste of our considerable talents to allow them to continuously put us on the defensive."

Haru's eyes swept the table, meeting each in turn, "I do have a suggestion, as it happens. Some of my divinations have revealed a device of great power being constructed at the Academy of Tomorrow. I cannot see exactly what it is or what it can do, but does that not reveal its use to us? If the presence of such blocks magical scrying and attempts to read the future... Why I'd dare say that would solve one of our pressing issues. Add in the myriad devices and innovations we could surely appropriate along the way? This would do much to raise our profile, even while we eliminate the downsides of such."

Haruspex proposes the caper 'Steal the mysterious device from the Academy of Tomorrow!'

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The Academy of Tomorrow! Where the science is so advanced and bizarre it is basically magic, and the magic is analyzed to thoroughly it is basically science!
The Academy of Tomorrow! Looked upon fondly by the many superheroes and villains that have studied, or have had their origin story there, from Professor Maximus to Nuclea the Atomic Knight, from Dulkaharnein the Two-Horned One to the Ripper's Daughter!
The Academy of Tomorrow! Where a certain device of mysterious purpose but certain importance is in being built, and why should something as mundane as not knowing what it actually does stop you from stealing it?

Caper: We must steal the new, mysterious device being built at the Academy of Tomorrow!
Planks:
*First, you must capture Betobeto San: this young Japanese-American hero has built capable of fooling all five senses, and quite a few supernatural and high-tech ones, at the tender age of 16 and is now a student of the Academy. Finding him while he's on patrol will not be easy for fairly obvious reasons, but his suit and his keycard are going to be essential for entering the Academy.
*Then, you must disable whoever's standing guard there this week: both villains and superheroes who studied (or were experimented upon) here have a soft spot for the place, and those who don't have more pressing problems keep an eye on it from time to time. Discovering who will be guarding it when you strike and countering their opposition will allow you to get in undisturbed.
*After that, you will have to break into the Academy itself: the place is protected by state-of-the-art mechanical and arcane defenses, from turrets to golems to irate superpowered teachers and students drunk on school spirit.
*Finally, you will have to set up an hyperfast or hidden escape route: the campus is far away from the city, in a vast featureless plain. By the time the Moonlifter is flying away, reinforcements will be there or an orbital cannon will be aligned or some other unpleasant thing will have happened. You'll need a tunnel, or a wormhole, or the sort of nitro that makes even a slow, armored giant like your airship reach the speed of a sports car.

Starting heat: 3

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Curses! 3/5 | Infamy: 0 | Cards: 0 | Conditions: None! | Location: A Superior Scheme Indeed!

Haruspex looked upon her workspace with an appraising eye. It had been a work of many hours to marry some of the surplus sensors from their base with the raging power of the arcane, but she had done it! The monstrosity on her workbench should, if her theories held true, cut through any shielding or baffling that the utterly ridiculous Betobeto-san had installed in that suit of his. How could his tender, half-formed brain possibly compare to her unparalleled grandeur? It was simply impossible.

Rubbing her hands together with glee, Haru pushed the large red button and gazed eagerly at the screen. It was working! The net had already picked something up! And it was... Haruspex's face scrunched up. That couldn't be right. Could it?

quote:

12:21 PM <Tricky> Haruspex cooks a superior scheme!
12:21 PM <Tricky> !r 2d6+3
12:21 PM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 3+3 = 6

Curses!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Your eyes barely got a glimpse of the display of your magitech device, announcing that Betobeto-san was apparently six feet away from them, when you heard a voice from behind you. "Give me that!"
Behind them was...nothing. Nothing, except a floating chin, somewhat overweight and trembling, a little lower than you'd expect a 16-years old tech genius chin to be. His suit completely stops sound going out, so to communicate with you, he must have have rolled it up over his mouth.

"G-give me that device!" He says, his voice trembling the slightest bit. You get the impression that he's not used to these direct confrontations. "Give it, or I'll smash your sphere on the ground."
You look to the drawer where you keep your magical focus. Open! Its contents ransacked! And this guy has the gall to call himself an hero! The gears in your brain turn at full speed as you wonder if he knew about your plan, and what would be the proper answer to this so-called "hero" knowing where you live.

---------------

While this is happening, another member of the villain team passes in front of Haruspex's room, and has an opportunity to see them be blackmailed by a floating chin. Who sees this spectacle, and what do they do about it?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

A mist seeped through the doors to Haruspex' room as Supercell made himself manifest.

"Eyy Haru, so I was going to order some pizza and was wondering what y-" Supercell blinked once, twice, his eyes scanning the room from this strange Invader, to Haruspex, to the ransacked closet, to the magical focus the invader was holding. "Oooh..."

Supercell took a puff from his pipe.

Supercell laaazily lifted a finger and pointed it at Betobeto-san. From this finger a bolt of lightning lashed out, impacting the hero straight in the chestplate, causing him to lose his grip on the magical focus, which was deftly picked up by winds that gracefully levitated it back to Haruspex' possession.

"Bruh. I don't really know who you are but, like, touching other people's foci is super bad form you know."

quote:

Theantero: Supercell Directly Engages this rude magitech dude
Theantero: !r 2d6+2
Krysmbot: Theantero, 7+2 = 9

Choosing to take from them that sphere they stole from haruspex and give it back.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Betobeto-san doesn't answer. Betobeto-san defaults to what he knows: pulling his suit back over his mouth and disappearing. You can't see him, you can't hear him; Supercell's winds can't feel his weight and mass in the room, Haruspex's magic can't divine his position, unless... the device! That sneak has stolen it, and it has become just as invisible as him once he did that. Both of you scan the room. What to do now?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

Meanwhile...

Strength had been on hold for nearly an hour.

Sure, the music was nice, but every minute he waited only strengthened his resolution that the only way to safe civilization was too destroy it...

Then, a human voice spoke through the other line.

"Hey!" Strength nearly yelled into his phone, "This is Adam Flynn, Head Hierophant of the Church of Rainforest, Saving The. I sent you a religious visitation request earlier. According to the Academy Charter, I have the legal right to inspect the Academy Archives in order to see if you're improperly storing any objects of religious significance. So if you could just give my permit the old OK and let me take a quick tour of your facility, that'd be great."

More muttering from across the line. "Yeah, I know the paperwork says we were formed last year. That's just when the government recognized us, though. The map is not the territory, my dude."

quote:

Scrree - Today at 1:55 PM
/roll 2d6+4 #Rolling for PXCapers
SidekickBOT - Today at 1:55 PM
@Scrree: 2d6+4 Rolling for PXCapers = (6+4)+4 = 14
Brewing a Troublesome Plan! Wagering the Forged Documents Asset for +1 to the roll!

Strength leans into the phone, "The Church of Rainforest, Saving The has a long and storied history. Honestly, if you could spare me a moment of your time, I'd like to tell you about it..."

More muttering from the other end, quicker, this time, "Oh, too busy? That's too bad. So our permit's been excepted, then? Yes, I understand we'll need to be supervised as we browse the Archives." A smile appears on his face, one that the would alarm the person on the other end of the line if they could see it...

But they can't, "I expected nothing else."

Strength has fooled the Academy's Administration into giving him a permit to allow him and his 'congregation' into the Academy Archives! It's not the labs where they do their experimentation and invention, but it's certainly one step closer than being on the outside.

• Locked thread