Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Welcome to the OOC thread for Blood on the Asphalt, the second IC thread/alternate universe of the Monsterhearts game Murder in Canaan. Players, feel free to repost your sheets here or link the posts from the previous thread. Either is fine! As a reminder, here are the players in this game:

Karin Himura, the Ghoul, played by Tardzilla
Noah Feldman, the Ghost, played by PMush Perfect
Lucas Marques, the Queen, played by BallisticClipboard
Sarabeth Blakesley, the Werewolf, played by Tiny Deer

Let's get started with Questions, Part Two:

Karin Himura, the Ghoul

There's a particular Runza that the local street-racing scene has been meeting in lately. Kind of a crappy place for racing, though; why is that, and what excuse does the local ringleader give for using it anyway?

Noah Feldman, the Ghost

So that lovely coffee house down on Main isn't anyone's favorite place, but it's a port in a storm. When you were last there, the guy behind the counter offered you the "special menu" -- and it's not drugs, weirdly enough. What is it, and what on it are you more inclined to try now that you're dead?

Lucas Marques, the Queen

The other day, in the locker room, you noticed that one of your closest friends on the team has a new tattoo of this symbol. Who is it, and what's his explanation? What about his explanation do you know is a lie?

Sarabeth Blakesley, the Werewolf

Sometimes you have to cut through the alley behind the movie theater -- what's it the fastest route to or from, anyway? Maybe that doesn't matter. The last few times you've used it, though, you've seen someone who clearly didn't belong back there. Who was it, and what were they doing?

---

The Rooftop Murder

OOCly, I'd like for us to hash out a relatively complete timeline of the roof incident. ICly, it's fine for your characters to be confused or lost about what happened, but OOCly I'd like us to be on the same page so that this reverse mystery game doesn't turn into an actual mystery game. Talk amongst yourselves!

Also, feel free to get started on strings and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

The Rooftop Murder

So a rough timeline based loosely on what we already have, backstory wise:

- Garth arranges to meet Karin on the roof at some point
- everybody is at the party
- it is a dark and stormy night, obviously
- Lucas and co beat up Garth
- Lucas remains on the roof, probably under an overhang, drinking
- Noah goes up to the roof to talk to Garth
- Noah makes an advance on Garth, reading more into their relationship, Garth rejects him
- Noah makes another advance, Garth pushes him, Noah stumbles and falls
- Karin arrives in time to witness the death and misinterprets it as a murder
- Karin attacks Garth
- Sarabeth arrives to attack Garth, does not intervene in Karin's ongoing attack
- Karin kills Garth
- Noah is dead, Lucas stumbles away at the behest of one of his gang, Karin and Sarabeth flee

Edit: revised based on Discord discussion.

Tiny Deer fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 6, 2017

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Sarabeth Blakesley, the Werewolf

Original sheet and backstory, plus question round.

quote:

Name: Sarabeth Blakesley
Look: Unkempt, predatory eyes
Origin: Favoured by the moon

Stats
Hot 1
Cold -1
Volatile 2
Dark -1

Moves
 Primal Dominance
When you harm someone, take a String on them.

 Heightened Senses
When you rely on your animal instincts to make sense of a charged situation, roll with dark. On a 10 up, ask the MC three questions. If you act on one of the MC’s answers, add 1 to your first roll. • On a 7-9, ask one:
} Where’s my best escape route or way in?
} Which enemy is the most vulnerable to me?
} What’s their secret weakness?
} What poses the biggest threat to me?
} Who’s in control here?

Darkest Self
You transform into a terrifying wolf-creature. You crave power and dominance, and those are earned through bloodshed. If anyone attempts to stand in your way, they must be brought down and made to bleed. You escape your Darkest Self when you wound someone you really care about or the sun rises, whichever happens first.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, you establish a spirit connection with them. Until either of you breaks that spirit connection, by having sex with someone else, add 1 to all rolls made to defend them. You can tell when that connection has been broken.

Backstory
You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone.

You’ve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Take 2 Strings on them.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Also! Slydingdoor set up a Discord for the threads, so c'mon in if you Discord: https://discord.gg/GKGytPE

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Karin Himura, the Ghoul

Backstory stuff here.

quote:

Name: Karin Himura
Look: disfigured, hungry eyes
Origin: resurrected

Stats:
Hot 0
Cold 1
Volatile 1
Dark -1

Moves:

 The Hunger
You have a Hunger for (circle 1): Thrills
When you heedlessly pursue a Hunger, add 1 to rolls. When you ignore a feeding opportunity, roll to hold steady

 Short Rest for the Wicked
When you die, wait it out. Some hours later, you wake up fully healed.

 Satiety
When you satiate a Hunger, choose one:
- heal one harm
- remove a Condition
- mark experience
- carry 1 forward.

Darkest Self:
You will maim, kill and destroy anything in between you and the nearest object of your hunger. You will feed relentlessly. You escape your Darkest Self when someone restrains you or fends you off for long enough for you to regain your composure – at least thirty or forty minutes.

Sex Move:
When you have sex with someone, add “having sex with [this person]” as an additional Hunger. If you already have this Hunger, mark experience.

Backstory:
Someone reminded you what love was, when you thought that death had stolen it away from you forever. Give them 2 Strings.

Did anyone watch you die, or watch you come back to life? If so, you both gain 2 Strings on each other

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 7, 2017

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Lucas Marques, The Queen

Backstory

quote:

Backstory Strings:
Name three NPCs who are members of your gang. Gain a String on each.
Sophomore Austin Baker, 16
Junior David Mason, 17
Senior Tyler Heywood, 18

quote:

You find someone threatening. Give them a String on you, and take two Strings on them.
SB takes this one

quote:

Look: Stunning with Calculating Eyes.
Origin: The Most Popular Kid in School.
Stats: Hot 1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 0
Sex Move: When you have sex with someone, they gain the Condition, “one of them“
While the Condition remains, they count as part of your gang.

Darkest Self: They’ve failed you. This is all their fault, and there’s no reason why you should have to suffer the consequences of their idiocy. You need to make an example out of each of them, a cruel and unwavering example. You escape your Darkest Self when you relinquish part of your power over to someone more deserving, or when you destroy an innocent person in order to prove your might.

Moves:
The Clique
You’re at the head of the toughest, coolest, most powerful clique around.
They count as a gang. Strengths: They’re talented (sports team)

Streaming
You have a telepathic connection with your gang members. You can always hear their emotions and fears. When you try to hear specific thoughts, gaze into the abyss about it and add 1 to your roll.

BallisticClipboard fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 6, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Noah Feldman, the Ghost
Background & Questions Part 1, Questions Part 2

quote:

Name: Noah Feldman
Look: Brooding, dull eyes
Origin: Murdered in hot passion

Stats
Hot -1
Cold +1
Volatile -1
Dark +2

Moves
 Unresolved Trauma
Whenever you project the blame and trauma of your death onto your current situation, roll with Dark.
On a 10 up, give two people the blamed condition.
On a 7-9, give up to two people the blamed condition, but for each, choose one:
} You gain the delusional condition,
} You can’t speak during this scene,
} You suffer one harm,
} You start re-enacting the scene of your death.

 Vengeful
Whenever you lash out physically at someone with the blamed condition,
roll using Dark. Add 1 extra harm to whatever harm you deal.

 Hungry Ghost
You find sustenance in sadness. When others dump their emotional problems on you, roll with Dark.
On a 10 up, they lose all their conditions, and you choose one:
} Mark experience,
} Carry one forward,
} Gain a String on them
On a 7-9, they choose one:
} They lose all their conditions,
} They gain a String on you.

Darkest Self
You become invisible. No one can see you, feel you, or hear your voice. You can still affect inanimate
objects, but this is your only avenue of communication. You escape your Darkest Self when someone
acknowledges your presence, and demonstrates how much they want you around.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, you both get to ask a question of one another’s characters. This can be
spoken by your character, or simply asked player-to-player. The other person must answer honestly and directly.

Backstory
Someone knows that you’re dead, and how you died. They gain a String on you.

You’ve been inside someone’s bedroom while they were sleeping. Take a String on them.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Backstory

quote:

You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone.

Word in the halls, from Sarabeth's friend Jenny: "Sarabeth has just been weird since that thing happened with Lucas W. She never hangs out with anybody anymore, and she looks like a loving mess. I mean, she was never exactly into clothes, but now she just wears that grey hoodie everywhere. She even stopped straightening her hair. I think it like, broke her heart, you know?"

Everyone takes a String on Sarabeth, because she's easy to read.

quote:

You’ve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Take 2 Strings on them.

"He laughs, he smiles, he acts...so normal. Lucas Marques. They were friends, did you know that? Him and my Lucas. All those loving guys are friends. But none of them are like Lucas. You don't notice unless you're paying attention, but I've...been paying attention."

"It makes sense, right? If anybody would be involved in some lovely backwoods snake handling bullshit it'd be the good old hometown team. They're always throwing parties out in the woods, they spend all that time together...and if any of them is in charge, it's Lucas M. People can't stop throwing themselves at him, hanging on every word he says, but they don't see his eyes. They don't see the ache. They don't know...they don't know, okay?"

"I have to watch him. I have to keep people safe."

Sarabeth takes 2 Strings on Lucas.

quote:

Sometimes you have to cut through the alley behind the movie theater -- what's it the fastest route to or from, anyway? Maybe that doesn't matter. The last few times you've used it, though, you've seen someone who clearly didn't belong back there. Who was it, and what were they doing?

"They don't let employees use the parking lot. It's for 'valued customers' only. There are two places close by I can park, and the alley is the fastest way to get to work. The guys back there aren't scary if you're not a bitch to them, so we're fine."

"You know who I was surprised to see once? Noah. The guys aren't scary, but I wouldn't sit down for a drink, and there Noah was. I guess...I mean, they only know him as a boy. It's safer for him."

"Lately, though? There's a new face. There's something...off about him. It's not like whatever is coming through my drive-thru, it's...softer than that. Like an itch. Maybe it's just the mumbling? Oh, yeah. He says numbers. He's not counting, I don't think. One of the other guys called him Nash, but I'm not sure that's actually his name. He doesn't look when you say it, anyway. Just...says more numbers."

"I should ask what Noah knows about him, if he ever gets out of detention."

Rooftop Murder

"I lied."

"I could have stopped her. I know Karin. She loved Garth--not, like, you know, but she cared about him. I didn't push him, but I could have stopped her from--"

"But I didn't. I don't even know why. I just--I came up the stairs, out into the rain, and I was...I was scared, all right? gently caress. I was scared. Of going to prison, of losing my sisters, of getting locked up in some secret government lab. I was scared. Then I saw her with her hands on his throat and I...wasn't."

"No, I wasn't just not scared anymore. I wasn't me. Or I was? I was me, but it was...not me."

"It wouldn't have been...right. That's what it felt like. Like I knew that I could, but if I did, I'd be--it wasn't something that belonged to me. I was just there to...I was there to know. To know it happened, to know how, to know their faces. I had to see it because she couldn't."

"But--you know, maybe that's bullshit. Maybe that's just whatever hosed up part of me that--happened in the woods, making something up. Because you know what else I was thinking, at the same time? I was thinking at least it didn't have to be me. This time, I could walk away, and it'd take care of itself, and I'd be done."

"Then she let go, and--"

"I got Karin out. I let her kill somebody, it was the loving least I could do. I let her. I knew what it would do to her, and I just--whatever was in my head, whatever I was thinking, none of that should have mattered. So I dragged her off that roof and I told her that nobody is ever going to find out about what happened. I lied, again. I can't promise that. But I owe her. If I'd done something, Garth would be alive and she wouldn't feel like this. I have to keep her quiet, away from the cops. Lucas too, whatever he saw. Anybody else who might know anything. There's so much to do, and I can't--I don't know how. I don't know how to do this. I don't know what's wrong with me, because I'm thinking things like that, and then I think of the things I could do and..."

"I'm scared. I'm so scared all the time, it's starting to feel like breathing."

Tiny Deer fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 7, 2017

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Antivehicular posted:

Lucas Marques, the Queen

The other day, in the locker room, you noticed that one of your closest friends on the team has a new tattoo of this symbol. Who is it, and what's his explanation? What about his explanation do you know is a lie?

We were changing back into our street clothes after practice and imagine my surprise when I noticed that tattoo on Tyler's Back. I thought he was hiding something. It's not big, large enough to take up the right shoulder. It looked recent, it was still red. I laughed, "Our worst shooter has a bow and arrow on his back. Looks good". His shoulders tensed and he told me sharply to shut up as he scanned the empty locker room. We lost the scrimmage so we had to clean up after practice. I said, "Don't worry big guy, we're the only ones here". I asked him all the questions you'd normally ask: when, what and why? He told me he lost a bet from a few months ago but he got pick the design and artist. He finally had to pay his debts. He looked convincing but I knew that wasn't the reason. I, this keeps happening, I felt that he was lying to me. But there's saner reasons to doubt him. He's afraid of needles. He told me that he hated the idea of getting a tattoo. Also, if he lost that bet, he would of complained about it to me. I would remember laughing at him. I let him think that lie worked. As long as he can block, he get tat himself up all he wants. If he wants to keep it a secret, that's just as well. But, if it becomes a problem, then we'll talk about it. Still going to dig info up because the design is something out of the Nazca lines. I would of got that weird bird.

quote:

You find someone threatening. Give them a String on you, and take two Strings on them.
For the last day of school, my friend Lucas Wentworth threw a party. Didn't think it would be the last time I would see him. Lucas W. and Lucas M., we laughed about that too. Ladies, drugs, drinks, and a bonfire. It had the makings of a great party. I wasn't there for long though. I had an early flight the next day and there was no way in hell I was going to miss it. I made plans with a friend back in LA to let me stay with them for a few weeks. When I landed, my phone showed 99+ missed texts and 30 or so missed calls. I checked them on the taxi to Bel-Air. The earlier ones were party related, so and such was nude, he made out with her, she made out with her - you know. Eventually they started getting dire. Near the end most of them were asking if I was okay. I texted almost everyone about what happened. From what I could collect, some idiot threw a gas can on the fire and it exploded. To make matters worse, it seems like there was an animal attack as well. I was worried but what could I do? I hoped everyone was okay, made sure my phone wasn't on silent and pushed it to the back of my mind. I learned later that day that the body of Lucas was found cut to ribbons by some animal. There is no up without down.

Fast-forward to the start of school, me and this weird chick are in the same class. Her name is Sarabeth Blakesley. She's unremarkable: average looking, not very popular, kinda tall. I didn't know her well. But from the moment my name was called on that first day, she had an eye on me. She'd act nervous around me. This isn't new, I figured she was into to me. I respect someone aiming for the stars. I think I noticed a week or two into school that this was something else. It was late after school, practice had just finished. I stayed after to clean it all up. I was walking out and I hear footsteps behind me. I thought it was a janitor but when I turned they paused and after a few seconds followed. I spun around and I swore I saw her sprinting away. Is she a stalker? The whole thing put me on edge. So, I started watching her under a different light. The way she acts, I see fear and anger. I guess that would be the right word, anger. If she had to pass out papers, she would slam mine down as fast as possible or pass it to someone else. And she would always sit behind me, usually on the right side but sometimes on the left. I moved to the back left corner of the class. It gave me the opportunity to watch her watch me. She stares. I don't know if she's aware of it but I am. And then it hit me, this was the same chick that Lucas was with. And one of the memories that did come back to me from homecoming was her near the edge of the roof. I don't know if she's bad luck or actually dangerous but I'm keeping my guard up and eyes out for her.

BallisticClipboard fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 10, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

quote:

Someone knows that you’re dead, and how you died. They gain a String on you.
"So, first day back, I'm trying to keep my head down, avoid rumors. Nobody's really talking to me, everyone's all about Garth. Like I hadn't been spending the last six months following his stupid rear end around like a lost puppy just because he gave me the time of day. Still, suited me just fine, nobody bothered me, nobody to curse out. Well, nobody except Karin Himura. You know, the crazy bitch with all the stitches. She just came right up to me like 'Hey, aren't you supposed to be dead?'"

"Barely get three words into whatever dumbass excuse I had before she pulls off her glove and shows me this creepy-rear end hand she's got. She's a loving Frankenstein, great, cool, whatever. But how the gently caress did she know I was dead? Did she see me fall and just make a lucky guess? I don't loving get her and I sure as hell don't want to."

Karin gets a string on Noah because he's honestly a little scared of her.

quote:

You’ve been inside someone’s bedroom while they were sleeping. Take a String on them.
"Sara's one of the few people who knows my deal. Like, for sure knows. We got sent to the same Bible camp one year. It was girls-only. We ended up being kind-of-sort-of-almost-friends, I think mostly because when she was with me, everyone else was too scared to mess with her. Anyways, we talked, about why my hair was short, why I 'wasn't like other girls', why I was stealing ACE bandages from the first aid kits."

Noah winces at that particular memory. Buying a binder off some rando for 'cosplay' is one of the smartest things he ever did.

"She still doesn't really get it, and I think she knows that. But, hell, of all the people to be stuck in this loving mess with, at least I know one of them isn't a complete shitheel."

Noah gets one string on Sarabeth because of late-night Bible Camp bunkmate talks that left Sara much more confused than informed.

quote:

So that lovely coffee house down on Main isn't anyone's favorite place, but it's a port in a storm. When you were last there, the guy behind the counter offered you the "special menu" -- and it's not drugs, weirdly enough. What is it, and what on it are you more inclined to try now that you're dead?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Have a string sheet! Feel free to note your strings and NPCs and suchlike.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Backgrounds

quote:

Sarabeth reminded you what love was, when you thought that death had stolen it away from you forever. Give them 2 Strings.

poo poo.

She was there. Sarabeth was there when I- when it happened. She saw everything. She could have stopped me, but she didn't. She just... she just...

...She grabbed my hand, and led me away from the roof. She told me nobody was ever going to find out what happened, that everything was going to be okay. It's a lie. I know it is, but... I let myself believe it. In that one moment, I believed everything she told me. I believed every single lie. I... let her comfort me. Nobody's ever comforted me before. Not Garth, not Jodie, not even my late mother, but she... she did. She didn't have to. Sarabeth had no reason to help me but... but she did, and I... I don't even know why.

...I can't stop thinking about her. Every time I see her, I... I feel something. Something I thought I lost. Something I thought I would never feel again. I think... I think...

...I think I'm in love...

...gently caress.

quote:

Noah knows your dead. You both gain 2 Strings on each other

So, hey, as it turns out, I'm not the only dead person in school, haha! I thought that Noah guy was a goner for sure, there's no way anyone can ever survive the fall he had. Which was why it was such a surprise when I saw him walking around again the next day! He wasn't stitched back together like I was, but I just knew he had to be undead like I was.

I, uh, might've gotten a little too enthusiastic. I really wanted him to know that I was dead, just like him, so I thought, hey, why don't I show him my freaky hand! It might not have been the best idea, but poo poo, I was just so excited to meet another person who cheated death like me!

Noah's a bit of a grump, but I'll make sure to change that! He doesn't know how much fun being undead can be, and I can't wait to show him!

quote:

There's a particular Runza that the local street-racing scene has been meeting in lately. Kind of a crappy place for racing, though; why is that, and what excuse does the local ringleader give for using it anyway?

"Crappy" is an understatement. The roads are way, way too narrow to have a decent race in. The previous place we used to race in was perfectly fine, but Ian (the guy who runs the whole thing) decided to move the whole thing to this lovely place instead. Why? gently caress if I know. I've been trying to get an answer out of him, but all he's been doing is dodging my questions. Ian's always been a shady guy, but this is a whole 'nother level for him.

Oh, and he's been meeting with this other guy a lot. poo poo, what was his name again? I think it was, uh, Keith Hart or something? That might be it. This Keith guy isn't a racer, but he comes around to talk to Ian about... whatever it is they talk about. I wonder if he's the one who convinced Ian to move locations?

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 9, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Okay, looks like we're ready for the bookkeeping:

1) There is now a "Homeroom" sheet in the strings spreadsheet. Please seat yourself, then seat one NPC (existing or freshly created). I'll fill in the remaining seats once you're done.

2) Highlights!

Lucas, highlight Sarabeth
Sarabeth, highlight Lucas
Noah, highlight Karin
Karin, highlight Noah

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Sarabeth is looking Hot

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Karin is, as always, worringly Volatile.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Noah's a pretty Dark guy, and I think that's what I like about him!

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 10, 2017

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

The worst part of how Hot Lucas thinks he is...well, he is.

Tiny Deer fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Game thread is up

• Locked thread