Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
This was maybe the finest forums experience I have ever had the honor of participating in. It was fun and exciting and genuinely engaging and that is awesome.

...rock-paper-scissors. Who'd've thunk it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Again, thanks for all the kind words as well as the very heartwarming avatar! :3: Honestly though the players are the real stars of this LP, I was only a beancounter.

AJ_Impy posted:

Out of interest, going by post timestamps, how many times did the consensus change a losing or drawing one to a winning one after the other thread seemed to reach a verdict?

I haven't looked at time stamps but I entered in a many of the votes into the document as they came in, and the only time there was a real last-minute upset was Oblivion's round 9 rally.

Blind Sally posted:

To commemorate our shared experience:

Amazing! :vince:

Frionnel posted:

Maaaaaaaaaan, i only found the observer thread today :(

You were always a member of Team Left in spirit! If you want to, I can easily whip up statistics for your votes as well.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Covski posted:

Again, thanks for all the kind words as well as the very heartwarming avatar! :3: Honestly though the players are the real stars of this LP, I was only a beancounter.

You came up with the idea and the thread, and your organization of the individual rounds was very good. This amazing LP wouldn't have been possible without you :glomp:

jon joe posted:

Watching how these teams play, I think I've figured out a good general strategy for group based RPS. I'm going to save it in case there's another go after this one, though.

So, time to explain what exactly you figured out!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Blind Sally posted:

This is a work of beauty, almost 'Hieronymus Bosch does the French Revolution'. :D

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
This is the best thread. I'm in tears.

I can't :five: it enough.

Fake edit:

Blind Sally posted:

Damned, why can't I :five: it more!?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

VKing posted:

This is the best thread. I'm in tears.

I can't :five: it enough.

Fake edit:

Damned, why can't I :five: it more!?

I'm probably jinxing it, but we have 110 votes, 5.0 average!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
The LP forum shall forever remember this thread as prove that any game can be entertaining.

So... Chopsticks next?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm incredibly proud to have been part of something so ridiculous.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

If we are discussing art from the threads, it would be a shame not to include this post which saved Team Right in their darkest hour, when morale was at an all time low:

Blind Sally posted:

I have, myself, full confidence that if all the posters in this thread do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our hand, the right hand, to ride out the storm of RPS battle, and to outlive the menace and tyranny of the left hand, if necessary for years, if necessary alone.

At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of the right hand, Team Right--every poster one of us. That is the will of the Mod Team and the subforum.

The brave posters in favour of this thread and nine-gear crow who is being a grump, linked together in this cause and in our need, will defend to the death our right hand, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of our strength.

Even though three rounds and many old and famous RPS strategies have fallen or may fall into the grip of the left hand and all the odious apparatus of Team Left, we shall not flag or fail.

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in this thread,
we shall fight in the observer thread and the left team's thread,
we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the subforum, we shall defend our thread, whatever the cost may be,
we shall fight in the Casual LP thread,
we shall fight on private messages,
we shall fight in the Tech Support Fort and in the Super-League thread,
we shall fight in the Sandcastle;
we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this thread or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Team beyond the subforums, armed and guarded by the right team's posters, would carry on the struggle, until, in Fedule's good time, other posters, with all their power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old by encouraging us all to play scissors.

I don't think this one has been posted here either:

Gridlocked posted:

Trust in the Rock-Emperor of Left Kind

Change your vote today!

Edit: I'm pretty sure this one was posted however, but I'll bring it up again because I like it:

Gridlocked posted:

THE ONLY WINNING MOVE

IS TO NOT PLAY

Covski fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 2, 2017

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Torrannor posted:

I'm probably jinxing it, but we have 110 votes, 5.0 average!

A hearty congratulations to Covski and all the players - RPS is the highest rated thread in the subforum!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUuVHupfayg

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Since activity in the thread has died down a bit, let's discuss the future of Rock-Paper-Scissors.

I've seen a few people expressing an interest both in the team threads and in here: Thing is, I'd absolutely be willing to run another game, although I honestly feel this one is going to be extremely hard to top. So this is basically an interest check: Do people want to see another game, or do we end the saga of RPS on this incredible high note?

If you are interested in seeing another game, feel free to give suggestion on the rules/format. I'm personally considering whether running shorter best-of-five games (which statistically means a game should take about a week) are a good idea. Discuss!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

If you think this is a hard act to follow (and I'm hard pressed to disagree), maybe you could put a new spin on things, try a different game? I guess the only issue is that most other games have been "solved" and the first one that comes to mind, taking this last round and running with it to play a game of iterated prisoner's dilemma, has had a lot of discussion on these forums that would make it harder to discourage than "don't pick randomly". Hrm.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Here are the list of Hand Game , and I suggested we play Chopstick next. Both side will play simultaneously instead of taking turns to prevent stalling.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Liar's Dice could be a good game for this format.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

One Swell Foop posted:

Liar's Dice could be a good game for this format.

Ooo. Ooo, this is a fun idea.

E: tough to coordinate in a timely fashion, though, now I think on it. Pity.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Connect 4 :kheldragar:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Ooo. Ooo, this is a fun idea.

E: tough to coordinate in a timely fashion, though, now I think on it. Pity.

I don't care, I now want Liar's Dice so badly.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Let's Play More Cool Games

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
RPSLS? (Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Spock)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Blind Sally posted:

:golfclap: This is amazing.

I'd be fine with whatever. I never expected RPS to blow up as much as it did. (And for one of the teams to actually pull off an underdog story.)

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Everybody posted:

Good suggestions for games

All of these look very interesting, and I might very well consider making another LP in the Hand Games (and other assorted deceptively complex games) series!

Thing is, if I do another LP in the near future it's probably gonna be another game of RPS for the time being, since I've got that game figured out and I think it could have quite a bit more to give, entertainment-wise. It's something about the game being very easy to follow for a casual observer (unlike most other competitive LPs where you need a good understanding of the (often complicated) rules to be able to follow along with the reasoning and being able to see what is about to happen before the players do. Of course, another RPS game would have an official "no supervillainy allowed"-rule, to focus more on the pure game theory aspects.

That said, I'd be interesting in trying out an asymmetrical variant, such as Rock-Paper-Scissors-Well where one move is objectively stronger than the others, just to see how that would play out. It could make for a very interesting game, given that both teams this time around seemed to treat rock as the *stronger* move, despite the fact that neither ever played scissors :iiam:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Honestly I think there could be a good case for doing a classical game-theory-game megathread with continual game theory asides. Go all into the maths behind it and let people play nifty decision games.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Fedule posted:

Honestly I think there could be a good case for doing a classical game-theory-game megathread with continual game theory asides. Go all into the maths behind it and let people play nifty decision games.

I'm not gonna compete again in RPS any time soon, I'll be an observer the next time. But this idea I like.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Covski posted:

All of these look very interesting, and I might very well consider making another LP in the Hand Games (and other assorted deceptively complex games) series!

Thing is, if I do another LP in the near future it's probably gonna be another game of RPS for the time being, since I've got that game figured out and I think it could have quite a bit more to give, entertainment-wise. It's something about the game being very easy to follow for a casual observer (unlike most other competitive LPs where you need a good understanding of the (often complicated) rules to be able to follow along with the reasoning and being able to see what is about to happen before the players do. Of course, another RPS game would have an official "no supervillainy allowed"-rule, to focus more on the pure game theory aspects.

That said, I'd be interesting in trying out an asymmetrical variant, such as Rock-Paper-Scissors-Well where one move is objectively stronger than the others, just to see how that would play out. It could make for a very interesting game, given that both teams this time around seemed to treat rock as the *stronger* move, despite the fact that neither ever played scissors :iiam:

Rock IS superior! Don't question rock!

Another round of RPS sounds fun, I would play again unless you make it a newbie game. If we play RPS again and it's open to the players of the first game, we should definitely try to mix up the teams. Perhaps people simply sign up to play, and you assign them to their teams? It could be as simple as taking two people who played for the same team last game, and then flipping a coin for one of them to decide his next team, with the other player automatically joining the opposing side.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I'd like to see an RPS game end properly

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable

Covski posted:

Personally, I wouldn't run another game of RPS. It will never live up to the intensity of the first game.

Covski posted:

There may not have been a rock fetish at play like I first thought, but the rock move was definitely revered as a fetish by some players. :ms:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Torrannor posted:

As a registered member of Team Left, I declare you honorary member anyway!

:hfive:

Covski posted:

You were always a member of Team Left in spirit! If you want to, I can easily whip up statistics for your votes as well.

Nah, no need. And if there's a new game, i'll remember to register this time!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
A bunch of people who aimlessly worships a hypothetical piece of stone, and an about equal bunch who call them silly for doing so. This is like Twitch Plays Pokémon all over again!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Thanks for all the input and suggestions here guys! :)

Fedule posted:

I really like this idea as well! Currently I'm leaning towards running one more game of RPS (possibly trying out the asymmetrical rock-paper-scissors-well variant just to see how that works in practice), and then possibly expanding it into a megathread with similar games that work in the forums format if there is enough interest and other people are willing to run some of the other games. And yes, the next RPS game will have a "no supervillainy allowed" rule. :v:

New thread might go up as soon as some time this weekend, possibly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Fedule posted:

I'd be interested, but I think you'd have to treat this very carefully. The number of people who are willing to wade through all the math is vanishingly small compared to the number of people who would be interested in a more intuitive discussion.

• Locked thread