Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

October 9, 1987
Director: Phil Joanou

It's an underrated gem of the '80s, IMO. I don't think anyone really knows about it because it was like a minor blip on the '80s teen movie radar that basically no one saw and never even became a proper cult classic (it seems like it got mostly favorable reviews despite being a flop, though Roger Ebert did do a scathing review of it at the time). I only know about it because it was one of the D-list movies you could watch for free on Hulu back when I was in high school and I was really bored during the day one weekend and it was literally the only thing on there that looked tolerable enough to watch.

A few months ago I heard Bill Burr make a quick, blink-and-you'll-miss-it reference to it on his podcast like it was the most natural thing in the world, and I did a mental double-take because I thought I was the only person who'd ever heard of it and liked it. I still occasionally find myself shouting "Don't gently caress this up, Mitchell!" but no one knows what I'm talking about, and even if they did they would probably find such behavior behavior strange and off-putting, which is why I have no friends.

One of its biggest selling points is Buddy Revell, the primary antagonist of the film played incredibly charismatically by a D-list actor named Richard Tyson (who's appeared in bit parts in various much more well-known films), a larger-than-life villain of the high school bully archetype who really deserves to be more iconic than he is:

Hell, the ending fight between Buddy and the hapless nerd protagonist Jerry Mitchell (played by Casey Siemaszko, better known as one of young Biff's flunkies in Back to the Future) is one of the all-time great underdog fight scenes as far as I'm concerned:

(Also Mitch Pileggi and Jeffrey Tambor are in it in secondary roles, and Tangerine Dream did the soundtrack.)

But anyway, it's actually a really solid movie with some pretty cool and creative cinematography. This page does a pretty good, brief write-up of it in that regard that I can't really improve on, and mentions the rumor that Steven Spielberg may have been an uncredited producer on the film (Aaron Spelling was credited as executive producer). But mostly I just wanted to see if anyone else here liked or had ever even heard of this movie, because it's one of my sort-of guilty, all-time favorites and I feel like I'm the only one.

I don't know, maybe it's just a mix of my own teenage nostalgia watching it and the total unexpectedness of it actually being pretty good, but I love it anyway and I'd enthusiastically recommend it as a kind-of obscure movie that's way better than you'd think it is.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
i agree with you, its a classic

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
This was a favorite of mine, I caught it on cable about a year after it came out, the trailer got me interested, I thought Buddy punching the principal right after he says "There will be no fight today!" was pretty funny---too bad it wasn't exactly how it occurs in the film. Still, it became a running joke among my friends and I, the line was delivered really well.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

I watched this again recently. It's a dark surreal teen comedy in the vein of Heathers, Better Off Dead and One Crazy Summer, but I thought it held up much better than the John Cusack movies.

I might even lump it in the same bucket as Nightmare on Elm Street. 80's movies really heightened the sense of teenage isolation. The main antagonist was never as scary as the fact that the whole universe was against you.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Way back when I was a kid my older brother videotaped this once when it was on TV. I remember not really thinking too much of it at the time and that it dragged a bit in places; I may need to give it a re-watch at some point in time. One thing I did think was interesting was that the protagonist ended up having to cheat to win the fight, for a given definition of cheating.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Holy poo poo! I saw this once when I was super young on TV. I only saw it once, and I still remember the bully and fight at the end. I'm going to have to watch this again! Thanks for the reminder.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This movie was the answer to a $1,000 question on Jeopardy on the same day you posted the thread. Were you inspired by that or is this a freaky coincidence?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Heh, I saw this in the theater.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
It was just added to HBOGo lol and now I'm interested in watching it because of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

One of my favorite movies of all time. I was just thinking about this after reading a thread in the other movie section, so I'm surprised seeing it here.

I need to rewatch it! Thanks for the reminder!

• Locked thread