Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Reveilled posted:

Surely if Trump refused to leave office in 2020, you could just wait until the weekend and then change the locks while he's out golfing.

If he refuses, they can just call the cops and get them to turf him out for trespassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Quidam Viator posted:

We need a series of undeniable, life-ruining fuckups to even have a CHANCE at the American people DOING SOMETHING DIFFERENT, because as long as we have our fuckin burrito wrappers, our instagram, and the rest, we will remain too pacified to take action so extreme it's never been attempted before.

My grandfather was a marine in the Pacific theatre of WWII. He was on Guadalcanal in Johnny Basilone's mschine gun squad actually. He used to to tell a story about basic training, I think this would have been roughly 1939. During training they discovered two men having sex. The marine who found screamed out "Queers". This was repeated throughout the camp. The two men were beaten and driven naked out of the camp. Into the poo poo awful swamps of Beaufort and Port Royal.

When you say "undeniable, life-ruining fuckups" what I hear is a return to horrific things like that.

Further, let's say we cross a line and thier ideas are rejected. They can just be put inside of another idea! Like this:

How the Swastika Became a Confederate Flag https://nyti.ms/2qLqfiA

With ideas the same bullshit can always be loaded into another sack. The question of Trump or Pence is a good way to think about it too. People will buy the same poo poo in a prettier bag. Real change isn't so facile as acceleration, it's hard and messy.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.
EDIT: You know what, I changed my mind, it's pointless to say what I have to say here. Forgive the post, please.

Quidam Viator fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 23, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Quidam Viator posted:

EDIT: You know what, I changed my mind, it's pointless to say what I have to say here. Forgive the post, please.

For what it's worth, I'm interested and missed it before you took it down.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Can we also talk about how these proceedings may play out? Or the chances of Pence's involvement in the scandals and how it might/might not result in him stepping down? And how the hell can a GOP led house be convinced to impeach Trump?

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Grouchio posted:

Can we also talk about how these proceedings may play out? Or the chances of Pence's involvement in the scandals and how it might/might not result in him stepping down? And how the hell can a GOP led house be convinced to impeach Trump?

Not to get too :tinfoil: but it seems plausible that Pence, Ryan, and McConnell are complicit in Russian collusion, at least with the attempted cover up. There have been reports of them ignoring intel while they sideline inquiries.

I'm not sure what the solution is to this, because if the leaders of both houses are compromised it indicates that there are significant issues with the entire Republican Party being compromised. And until 2018 they have control of the only institutions that can remove the president.

I almost hope the corruption chain doesn't involve a poo poo load of representatives because I have no idea how our rabid conservative population would respond to their team potentially being frog marched out en masse (at least a big group of them).

Of course this has almost 0% chance of happening, and Republicans will stonewall impeachment up to/past mass riots in the streets.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

RasperFat posted:

Of course this has almost 0% chance of happening, and Republicans will stonewall impeachment up to/past mass riots in the streets.

I'm laughing imagining massive riots in the streets after infinite amounts of evidence have come out and Ramirez is still making cartoons about OBAMA'S DEBT or whatever.

E: Whoops this isn't Politoons.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Grouchio posted:

Republicans will vote to impeach when Trump has become so toxic that his own base is turning on him. Nixon's approval had fallen into the mid-20s by the time he resigned, so I'm willing to bet that Trump's numbers are going to have to be somewhere south of there for Republicans to really see the writing on the wall and decide that cutting Trump loose will do less damage than staying tethered to him. I'm still kind of skeptical about how much the current investigation and non-stop parade of bombshells will really matter, though. Not because this stuff isn't important, but because I don't think there's much hope of silly things like facts or evidence leading to impeachment. Republicans will use those things as cover once they've already made up their minds, but they won't actually act unless the numbers are going their way.

Coincidentally, this is also why I think it's kind of ridiculous to believe that Pence will go down too. Republicans aren't going to purge their own party; the best we can probably hope for is that they very reluctantly remove Trump and immediately circle the wagons around Pence.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Lurdiak posted:

I'm laughing imagining massive riots in the streets after infinite amounts of evidence have come out and Ramirez is still making cartoons about OBAMA'S DEBT or whatever.

E: Whoops this isn't Politoons.

It will be quite fun watching all the hacks like Ramirez and Garrison flail about fanatically trying to redirect the mounting evidence that Trump is the worst/one of the worst presidents we've ever had, and he's not even halfway through his first year.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Republicans will vote to impeach when Trump has become so toxic that his own base is turning on him. Nixon's approval had fallen into the mid-20s by the time he resigned, so I'm willing to bet that Trump's numbers are going to have to be somewhere south of there for Republicans to really see the writing on the wall and decide that cutting Trump loose will do less damage than staying tethered to him. I'm still kind of skeptical about how much the current investigation and non-stop parade of bombshells will really matter, though. Not because this stuff isn't important, but because I don't think there's much hope of silly things like facts or evidence leading to impeachment. Republicans will use those things as cover once they've already made up their minds, but they won't actually act unless the numbers are going their way.

Coincidentally, this is also why I think it's kind of ridiculous to believe that Pence will go down too. Republicans aren't going to purge their own party; the best we can probably hope for is that they very reluctantly remove Trump and immediately circle the wagons around Pence.

This is all crazy speculation at this point too. Who knows what the investigations will bring out it seems more than likely Pence would have to resign if he wasn't fingered as well.

Seems more likely to choose a new Speaker that's "clean" to replace Trump before a hypothetical impeachment goes through.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

RasperFat posted:

This is all crazy speculation at this point too. Who knows what the investigations will bring out it seems more than likely Pence would have to resign if he wasn't fingered as well.

The issue I have with this is that we aren't talking about a normal trial. There can be clear evidence of a crime and Republicans can still choose not to impeach. Depending on how much of that evidence actually gets through to their base that might turn out to be electoral suicide and might just lead to Democrats impeaching after 2018, but there's no point where Republicans will be absolutely compelled to do anything that they don't want to do. The threat of impeachment got Nixon to resign, but impeachment has only ever been used against a sitting president twice in American history and in both cases the motives were purely political, so just the concept of impeaching for actual wrongdoing is uncharted territory.

Edit- Hell, Republicans might decide that losing the Senate in 2018 is unlikely and bet on Democrats being unwilling to impeach if they don't have the votes to convict. That's not a bad bet since they'd need quite a few Republican defectors even if they somehow do get majority.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 24, 2017

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
If they time it right, Republicans can use an impeachment vote to run against an unpopular Trump.

The impeachment will also push anything the Democrats do out of the news.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Republicans won't vote to impeach Trump due to unpopularity. Even if Trump had something like a 20% approval rating nationally, those numbers by definition will translate into a much higher approval rating among Republicans (say 35-40%). Republicans know Trump, even if impeached, won't go quietly into the night. If they turn on him Trump will tell his supporters Republicans betrayed him and not to vote. The loss of even a relatively small percentage of Republican voters would be enough to flip a huge number of congressional seats and maybe give one or both houses back to the Democrats. Better politically to have your congressional dreams derailed for a few years dealing with Trump's scandals (deferred campaign promises seem to make oddly good fundraising fodder) than risk plunging your party into civil war.

My guess is Trump only runs for one term (telling people America's now Great Again/the Congress and media are so terrible America simply can't be fixed through politics) and retires. Pence, relatively untouched by scandal, runs a standard conservative platform in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

GamingHyena posted:

Republicans won't vote to impeach Trump due to unpopularity. Even if Trump had something like a 20% approval rating nationally, those numbers by definition will translate into a much higher approval rating among Republicans (say 35-40%). Republicans know Trump, even if impeached, won't go quietly into the night. If they turn on him Trump will tell his supporters Republicans betrayed him and not to vote. The loss of even a relatively small percentage of Republican voters would be enough to flip a huge number of congressional seats and maybe give one or both houses back to the Democrats. Better politically to have your congressional dreams derailed for a few years dealing with Trump's scandals (deferred campaign promises seem to make oddly good fundraising fodder) than risk plunging your party into civil war.

My guess is Trump only runs for one term (telling people America's now Great Again/the Congress and media are so terrible America simply can't be fixed through politics) and retires. Pence, relatively untouched by scandal, runs a standard conservative platform in 2020.

Or trunps rhetoric resonates through amerixa once again and clinches the vixtory bexauaw the democrats will not mount a defensivble threat.

• Locked thread