Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

So, I'm a recent college graduate with a degree in environmental science. I realized soon after I graduated that I have zero experience with doing environmental poo poo that I've read about. So I've been volunteering a non-profit, doing poo poo like Benthic Macroinverterbrate Identification (a fancy way to say "I look through algae for bugs in a microscope"), water sampling, data quality control, invasive species eradication (ie "pulling up English ivy by the roots") and some very limited trail building. The Americorp volunteers at my non-profit turned me on to working for the California Conservation Corp, so I applied, went to an informational session, got interviewed...and, well.

I'm supposed to report on the 27th. I realized after the initial excitement wore off that I really do not know what hard work in the country is like. I've done trail building (working with pulaskis and mcleods and stuff), but I've never done the serious hardcore stuff that I've seen the Blue helmets doing. So, goons who've worked in trail crews/fire crews/fisheries, can you tell me what your job is like and what to expect? Or better yet, what I should bring? If you've worked in the CCC definitely send me a PM or post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Where in CA are you going to be working? I have a little info from a few years back from people around the Fresno area which I'm happy to type out later if it's relevant.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
I know a couple of NCCC corpsmembers who did the backcountry trails program with the CCC, they liked it well enough. I did my fair share with NCCC as well, but I think the backcountry program is a fair bit more difficult.

Are you doing the backcountry program? Or are you just going into the CCC?

• Locked thread