Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF1rLFCdewU
If you want to see more: here's a playlist with a dozen commercials/various scenes to cure the itch.

Synopsis: (courtesy of IMDB)
"An ambitious young executive is sent to retrieve his company's CEO from an idyllic but mysterious "wellness center" at a remote location in the Swiss Alps but soon suspects that the spa's miraculous treatments are not what they seem."

Starring:
Dane DeHaan (Chronicle, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, the upcoming Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets)
Jason Isaacs (Harry Potter movies, television series Brotherhood, the bad guy in Mel Gibson's The Patriot)
Mia Goth (Nymphomaniac: Vol. II, Survivalist, the woman who puts up with Shia LaBeouf on a daily basis)

Directed by:
Gore Verbinski (Pirates of the Caribbean, The Lone Ranger, Mousehunt)
Also responsible for the story alongside Justin Haythe, who wrote the screenplay.

Rotten Tomatoes score (at time of writing): 41%

===

Personally I don't care much for most of the horror movies that seem to arrive in the movie theater on a monthly basis, but when it comes to suspenseful thrillers you can always sign me up. It helps if the movies are as visually appeasing as A Cure for Wellness is. Sometimes it's a tad too much, like seeing a room being reflected in the eye of a deer trophy, but still I think there's plenty of future material for One Perfect Shot. The movie is set in Austria Switzerland and while we don't get to see much of the enviroment, it makes good use of the health spa and all the treatments it offers to its patients.

Naturally the movie is not all about the visuals, it is too about the mystery. Which is not just "what is going on?" but also "is main character is (going) crazy?". Well-trodden ground at this point, but it does a fine job of keeping you guessing just what the hell is happening. It might require a suspense of disbelief because for some reason this luxury health spa seems to have no trouble with a patient being able to wander around freely, even though staff seems to be everywhere. I guess you could assume that the spa is not used to people being there somewhat against their will and not being at an age where they don't have grey hair...

Speaking of seniors, there is quite some nudity in this movie and most of it is a bit... flabby. And if you are hesitant to visit the dentist you shan't like this movie, lots of focus on teeth or the lack thereof.

Uh sorry, I'm terrible at this whole mini-review thing. Either way I liked this movie and I think it's a perfect movie to see on a big screen. What did you think? Did you like the ending or where you expecting something completely different? Did more than two hours of people drinking water make you thirsty?

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I've been looking forward to this movie ever since the first teasers came out but it's getting terrible reviews and they seem to focus around a terrible ending.

I'll go watch it anyway but would you mind "spoiling" it for me? That way I'll have lowered my expectations accordingly.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Okay, here are the full-blown spoilers. Not holding back here:

Backstory of the movie is that the site of the spa used to be a castle belonging to a local baron. The baron was so focused on preserving his bloodline that he married his sister. Their children were all disfigured so he started looking for a solution to fix it. He did experiments on local people and when others found the bodies of these failed experiments, they marched on the castle. They burned the sister at the stake after cutting her unborn child out her belly and tossing it into the water. I don't remember if they mention specifics of what happened to the baron himself. None of this is told through flashbacks, it's all stories, old drawings and an old photo (which shows a man with a bandaged face and a young girl at the building site of the spa).

Cut to modern day. The spa is run by a doctor Volmer and he takes special care of a teenage girl. She is by far the youngest patient at the spa and acts almost like a child.

What is the cure? It preserves youth and it is made by inserting small eels in a human body which somehow produces the "vitamins" that the employees are taking. The production of the cure ultimately kill the patients through dehydration (despite the fact they are constantly drinking the local water). The patients never leave because they all end up dead at some point.

Who is the girl? She is the baron's daughter, cut from the sister's womb. She survived being thrown in the water and it led to the baron discovering the cure. She has gradually aged throughout time.
Who is the doctor? The doctor is the baron, also preserved through the cure. He wears an elaborate artificial face (think Darkman), I'm guessing because he actually got burned by the locals in the past.
What is the doctor/baron's goal? He gradually let his daughter age waiting until she was ready (had her period) so he can marry her and preserve the bloodline (so he wants to gently caress his daughter).

I confess that it sounds absolutely ridiculous typing it out like that, but keep in mind that it's a movie that is at least two hours and 15 minutes in length. It doesn't come out of nowhere, they build towards it. I can see how it can be disappointing tho especially if you wanted a a less "supernatural" angle to the plot.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 16, 2017

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks a lot, I guess I'll see how it plays out on the screen.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
that sounds super dumb

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
I just watched it, despite the bad reviews, because it was supposed to be visually slick and inventive. I now know that all the special effects in the world can't make up for a story that is preposterous and fails to resonate. There are impressive set pieces, but you get the impression that the screenwriters spent all their time coming up with them and then realized at the eleventh hour that they needed to actually make a film and hence cobbled the set pieces together into a disjointed mess, like a child attempting to repair a broken teapot with wallpaper paste. The film spends its extended (and flaccid) run-time rapidly ushering you from set piece to set piece, hoping that the dazzle and visual spectacle will hide the stitches on Frankenstein's monster. Dane DeHaan tries hard, but the film admits of precious little human connection and thus his efforts to inject soul into it fall flat. Please don't watch it. Really. There's entertaining bad movies, and then there's this - which is just a waste of time

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 20, 2017

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015
I watched this today and it's an early front runner for my favorite movie of 2017. I can sort of understand the criticisms of loose plot or over indulgence, but it's excellent at creating a mood and playing with well trodden genres and tropes in interesting ways. If you're the kind of movie viewer who's willing to let a somewhat loose plot slide in favor of thematic resonance I can't recommend the film enough. It's definitely not for everyone though

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I think this is a great movie that doesn't hold up to examination afterwards but is so much fun and involving to see it unfold along the way. Beautiful and disturbing and takes a variety of steps to escalate things as time goes on. If you remember that feeling you had watching Seven for the first time and they're driving out in the desert and you're just holding your breath wondering what could be next and if it could at all match the level of intensity you've already seen, this is the alternate outcome where it doesn't all tie together satisfactorily. But you get that whole great buildup along the way.

Well worth seeing even if you know it's not going to get past the finish line.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
I loved this gross beautiful movie

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
An utterly bizarre movie that never stops being great to look at.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Just saw the movie tonight. It does lovecraftian/ creeping horror to a T and is masterfully constructed and presented beautifully. It has some really stunning shots as well.

Did anyone else get a sort-of Jacobs Ladder vibe. I have a sneaking suspicion that everything after the car accident is a death/coma vision. He wasn't buckled in when the deer hit and all he gets is a broken leg? No scratches or cuts?

There's several scene changes and jump cuts that beg the question of if this eel adventure is real or not. Several points make it strange, such as how did he escape the dentist's chair or for that matter regrow is teeth after? How did the CEO guy reappear alive after floating in the drowning tank, or how did our hero resurrect after drowning himself.

A lot of the story comes back to the father's suicide, which is mirrored by the Baron selfishly 'damaging' his child.

We are treated to the stag, post crash stumbling, thrashing, collapsing and then dying, then shortly after we see the stag appear again. Hell, it might all be the death dream of the man in the beginning having a heart attack, I don't know.

I think there are too many jump cuts and break points to not beg the question of what is real in this film. It's made even more suspect in that our protagonist is going mad throughout.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Arkanomen posted:

Just saw the movie tonight. It does lovecraftian/ creeping horror to a T and is masterfully constructed and presented beautifully. It has some really stunning shots as well.

Did anyone else get a sort-of Jacobs Ladder vibe. I have a sneaking suspicion that everything after the car accident is a death/coma vision. He wasn't buckled in when the deer hit and all he gets is a broken leg? No scratches or cuts?

There's several scene changes and jump cuts that beg the question of if this eel adventure is real or not. Several points make it strange, such as how did he escape the dentist's chair or for that matter regrow is teeth after? How did the CEO guy reappear alive after floating in the drowning tank, or how did our hero resurrect after drowning himself.

A lot of the story comes back to the father's suicide, which is mirrored by the Baron selfishly 'damaging' his child.

We are treated to the stag, post crash stumbling, thrashing, collapsing and then dying, then shortly after we see the stag appear again. Hell, it might all be the death dream of the man in the beginning having a heart attack, I don't know.

I think there are too many jump cuts and break points to not beg the question of what is real in this film. It's made even more suspect in that our protagonist is going mad throughout.

I was feeling kind of primed for that after they introduced the ballet figuring being in a dream and kept an eye open for a consistent push in that direction but I personally came up short. That said, the last shot grinning mad after running into his coworkers on the hill seemed very much like crazy person who is really sitting in a chair in a well manicured garden so it may hold water after all.

I wish it had a more consistent push in that direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I really disliked this movie. I can't quite put my finger on why, but I found myself checking out about the time he started sneaking around the basement. Really aesthetically pleasing movie, but it just dragged on & on without really making me feel particularly creeped out apart from having to look away when they hosed with his teeth, but that's more to do with me than anything else. It just fell flat.

Mia Goth's character was also pretty bad, zero motivations or drive of her own. It bums me out when one of four women in the film has so little character. Slinking around like a doe-eyed character and almost getting raped by an immortal family member is all she does. It's all reactionary rather than coming from a place of motivation or being an actual person.

• Locked thread