Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I wonder how much of a pain in the rear end it was to film in there so the camera guy wouldn't show up or if they just digitally removed him as needed.

Both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I wonder how much of a pain in the rear end it was to film in there so the camera guy wouldn't show up or if they just digitally removed him as needed.

Even beyond just the camera man, there's a lot of shots where the colored lighting reaches like a crescendo with the characters and the various patterns all reaching the perfect spot at the exact right moment. You'd have to walk that path in advance to test out how the lights are going to look reflecting off the glass from every angle, then time everything up with the characters movements and even the soundtrack.

You typically don't get eye candy like that in a balls to the wall action flick.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Vampire camerapeople.
I know what you're thinking, "what about the cameras? Idiot. " Vampire cameras.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

As I was watching it I noticed the camerawork/lack of cameras in that scene, I basically watched it with my jaw on the floor. If this movie doesn't win awards for that scene alone then there's no justice in the world.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, Enter the Dragon did a hall of mirrors fight where you can't ever see the cameraman, 44 years ago. It's not as pretty as the John Wick one but it's not some new groundbreaking effect.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, Enter the Dragon did a hall of mirrors fight where you can't ever see the cameraman, 44 years ago. It's not as pretty as the John Wick one but it's not some new groundbreaking effect.

Combining the mirrors with the lighting, and then timing it all up with the movements of the characters is what puts it on another level for me. Hiding cameramen is a nice little technical trick but its not the same kind of artistry as what's going on with the lighting and the overall cinematography.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It did, true but the cameras were static. Wick has all sorts of wizardry going on and the camera was on the move for a lot of it. There was one shot that made me actually say 'whoa' out loud whilst watching it but I can't quite remember the details. It was some form of trickery... I need to watch t again when it's released.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
This poo poo is loving insane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAjmF0pEC-U

Edit: the final shot where John is walking through several mirrored automatic doors and you're seeing it from his perspective :psyduck:

Edit 2: here's an interview with Chad Stahelski about the scene

quote:

[The mirror-room fight] is is one of the first ideas I wrote down. Didn't even have a story yet, but I just went, "Yeah we're going to re-do Enter the Dragon. We're going to do Bruce Lee and Mr. Han in the mirror room." That's where it all came from. So, I was like, "How can I make a mirror room better?"

There's a lot of people that were in charge of logistics and money, that were [saying] "You don't want to do that. It's going to be too much money. You're going to kill yourself.” It’s like when you tell them you want to do a scene in the rain. Everybody tries to talk you out of it, because it's more expensive, it's slower, everyone's miserable. It's like, "No, I think I want to do it." Why do it the easy way, right? That's not the John Wick way.

quote:

We started prepping all of our action sequences three months before anybody even unpacked a camera. And unlike a lot of other crews, my cameramen were in rehearsals. My cinematographer went to stunt rehearsals. My production designer came to the stunt rehearsals. Everybody knew we were making an action movie: "What can we do to make it better?"

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 25, 2017

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

My biggest 3 problems with the movie.

1. $7 million seems kind of low. Like yeah that's a lot of money, but it's not a lot of money.

B. He did the thing where he flips over them by the arm then shoots other guys who are rushing in then executes the guy he has down way too many times

3. I couldn't tell if it was just the screen I watched on, but some of the gaping headshot wounds looked weird. Like just a blackhole of red color I dunno

Other than that it was a solid sequel. I prefer the first but this was good too. Oh and also instead of answering any questions from 1, they just said gently caress it and added a whole bunch of weird poo poo with no explanation. Who are the high table? Why is Morpheus putting cell phones inside pigeons? Where do the gold coins come from? "Who fuckn cares dude make neo talk in sign language lmabo" -the director probably

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 26, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: the final shot where John is walking through several mirrored automatic doors and you're seeing it from his perspective :psyduck:

That's the bit that got an audible gasp from me simply because my head couldn't grasp how it was done. And that's why I was blown away by that entire scene, just look at it!!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Santino bloviating to Wick about his addiction and enjoyment of violence and death.
We are Wick. He's talking to us also.
:aaa:

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 26, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

drunken officeparty posted:

B. He did the thing where he flips over them by the arm then shoots other guys who are rushing in then executes the guy he has down way too many times

I get where you're coming from on this, and its definitely important for the action not to get too repetitive, but at the same time I like the fact that Wick has a very identifiable fighting style and that he has go-to moves within that style.

All of the hand to hand stuff(including the moves that end with a bullet) is great because its much more realistically paced than a lot of other action movies. The opening fight scene comes off as kinda slow until you really start paying attention to every movement and you realize that Wick moves extremely deliberately. When he's tussling with a guy he's feeling around for leverage, then once he has it he puts them into a vulnerable position and delivers the final blow. That flip is one of his bread and butter moves because he's got a guy's momentum going one way and he's using it to get them on the ground, so because its extremely effective it makes sense that he would use it more than just once or twice.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Yeah, I liked that one too. It "mirrors" the beginning of the scene entrance.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Electromax posted:

The very end of that second gif is just so good. Our POV is backing up but then simultaneously also going forward once the door opens.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

This movie was great. I loved the world building even if everyone and their mother worked for the Illuminati Assassin Guild which I felt more over the top than anything.

$7 Million seems low? In the first it was $2 million. That was a week before! But it doesn't line up to a nice round number in any currency off of the top of my head.

But thematically, the number 7 in religious folklore is big and Wick is constantly referred to as The Devil. That might be stretching it a bit, but that's all I have.

It could easily have been 6 million, and lined up with a six-shooter from Morpheus.

Or maybe that's all Santino was willing to part with because he's High Council poor?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Electromax posted:

I honestly figured the second was a splice. Relatively easy to mask it. Otherwise how did the shoot it?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PJOmega posted:

I honestly figured the second was a splice. Relatively easy to mask it. Otherwise how did the shoot it?

Yeah I can't see any other way either, although we should note that these guys are at the very top of their game and they literally spent months just loving around with mirrors in a warehouse figuring out all the super tricky stuff before they even started filming.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Yeah I can't see any other way either, although we should note that these guys are at the very top of their game and they literally spent months just loving around with mirrors in a warehouse figuring out all the super tricky stuff before they even started filming.

I agree completely. It's gorgeously done if it's a splice, if it's not a splice it is mind blowing. Either way got a jaw drop in the theatre.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It felt like the Contact mirror scene and that used a bunch of CGI. Main difference on JW2 is that the mirror door opens so it's easy to splice in the shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxa3j8bK-c4

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Watched this last night and loved it, though not quite as much as the first. The pretext to get Wick back in the game was flimsy as hell, but I didn't mind. Expanding on the weird economy and rules of the assassin underworld was a given, but I didn't find it all that interesting. Top notch action as always, and it still blows me away that Keanu is doing all his own stunts at 50+. I really liked all the Matrix movies and it's crazy to compare his fighting in something like the Tea House fight against Seraph in The Matrix Reloaded to his fighting in this. Dude has been dedicated for decades and it shows.

My single favorite moment was probably the tense shotgun-reloading scene in the catacombs where Wick had to quickly switch over to his pistol. I like how these movies aren't shy about reloading since it gives some breathing room and tension to the action scenes.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Basebf555 posted:

I get where you're coming from on this, and its definitely important for the action not to get too repetitive, but at the same time I like the fact that Wick has a very identifiable fighting style and that he has go-to moves within that style.

All of the hand to hand stuff(including the moves that end with a bullet) is great because its much more realistically paced than a lot of other action movies. The opening fight scene comes off as kinda slow until you really start paying attention to every movement and you realize that Wick moves extremely deliberately. When he's tussling with a guy he's feeling around for leverage, then once he has it he puts them into a vulnerable position and delivers the final blow. That flip is one of his bread and butter moves because he's got a guy's momentum going one way and he's using it to get them on the ground, so because its extremely effective it makes sense that he would use it more than just once or twice.

The taxi fight also has my favorite "Don't Bother Fighting The Big Guys" scene since Raiders of the Lost Ark, where Wick just kneecaps the poor guy. And then it flashes to Stormare's character, who had been listening to the fighting earlier, with a nervous "oh poo poo" look on his face.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

It is kind've a plot hole, the only reason the Tarasov syndicate are doing as well as they are is that Viggo tasked Wick with the "impossible task" of killing all their competitors in a single night when Wick wanted to retire and get married. It's pretty weird that Iosef had never heard anything about Wick considering he was singlehandedly responsible for putting their syndicate where it is.

I'm sorry that this is from a few pages back, but I finally got to see this last night (It is fantastic) but there's being aware that a nearly mythical hitman killed all your competitors, then there's connecting him to some random dude in a gas station. I mean, I know members of the Australian SAS exist, but I wouldn't assume someone I ran into was one. Unless Iosef had met him, or seen a picture, there's no way he could have connected them.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So a sequel seems like missing the point.

It leans even more on the 'lapsed recovering addict' imagery of the first one.

Basebf555 posted:

Wow, once you own the movie and you don't feel like you have to focus so much on every little action beat, Chapter 2 really is stunning visually. That hall of mirrors scene, goddamn.

It is a really pretty movie. It doesn't have a bad shot in it. I joke that the show Hannibal (the gold standard of pretty TV shows) is shot entirely like a cookbook. John Wick 2 is shot entirely like a watch commercial. There's a real depth of pallette to the whole thing. Just to pick one scene, the Sommelier's room is a gun rack, but every shift in tone and light is captured.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm sorry that this is from a few pages back, but I finally got to see this last night (It is fantastic) but there's being aware that a nearly mythical hitman killed all your competitors, then there's connecting him to some random dude in a gas station. I mean, I know members of the Australian SAS exist, but I wouldn't assume someone I ran into was one. Unless Iosef had met him, or seen a picture, there's no way he could have connected them.

Nah my point was that when Viggo confronted Iosef and said "That was John Wick you loving idiot!" it was odd that Iosef's reaction was "Yeah sorry, doesn't ring a bell?"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nah my point was that when Viggo confronted Iosef and said "That was John Wick you loving idiot!" it was odd that Iosef's reaction was "Yeah sorry, doesn't ring a bell?"

Iosef is a goof, not a respected member of his father's organization other than the fact that people know not to gently caress with him because of who he is.

When Wick was operating, building the legend that we know him as, Iosef was probably a punk kid in high school, like Anthony Jr. in The Sopranos. Kept separate from the business purposely, and then even when he decides to step into that world he's so protected and insulated from any actual decision making that he may as well not even exist. John Wick is a name Iosef may have heard thrown around without knowing the full context, and it makes sense to me that he wouldn't know the details of how his father took power in the first place.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I think the movie implies that he came to the US only fairly recently--after his father's group had finished consolidation in NY.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

He actually doesn't say anything except 'the boogeyman?' until his dad is finished speaking, when he says 'let me go finish him.' It's ambiguous whether he knew the name, but not the face, or was aware of the legendary hitman, but not the name. True, arguably he should have had a more specific response, but the one he has is sufficiently ambiguous to not actually contradict anything we find out later. I mean, sure, Iosef thinks he can take on Wick, but that's even after Viggo explains who he is.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I love how you can watch this movie more than once and just keep noticing details that really blow your fuckign mind. Like the mirrors scene. I didnt think about it in the theatre because I was engrossed in the action but now I see it again and I'm just mind hosed. How the hell did they do that? Just allthe little details and attention to small things that make for a great movie and one that stands up to a rewatch.

drunken officeparty posted:

My biggest 3 problems with the movie.

I only really have one. Santiago was so intent on pissing Wick off and he clearly knows that Wick is a force of nature and WILL blow his brains out. He knows Wick will burn his loving house down and more in vengance and yet he just keeps getting in one more dig until they are cleaning his brains from the Continental's floor. Like if you know what Wick truly is, then why the gently caress do you keep on provoking someone who can clearly just wipe you and any 100's of armed henchman out.... and why the gently caress are you going to keep taunting him when he has just rampaged through your museum and blown away your closest 50 armed guards? Wouldnt that be a good time to shut up and run like gently caress?

In the end it's a minor quibble and I understand where it was leading to. Still, for all of the legend of the impossible task and Wick, there seems to be very few poeple who truly understand that Wick is not someone you try to gently caress with. Seems to me like only the Continental have any real grasp of who Wick truly is.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Like if you know what Wick truly is, then why the gently caress do you keep on provoking someone who can clearly just wipe you and any 100's of armed henchman out.... and why the gently caress are you going to keep taunting him when he has just rampaged through your museum and blown away your closest 50 armed guards?

Hubris.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
"Wick must have gotten lucky all those previous times; he's still just one man and there's no way he could stand alone against all my money and all my men"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's why Wick is the Boogeyman. Nobody actually believes in the Boogeyman. That is, until he's coming for you, then all of the sudden you believe in the Boogeyman.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I like he progression from vest to full on bullet proof suit.

Will John Wick get bullet proof contacts in Chapter 3? :iiam:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
These films are about Faustian bargains, they're just from the perspective of the devil. Tarasov gains an empire with Wick's help, but the empire is gained so fast that his son never learns the cost of violence, and so, when he randomly dishes it out for petty reasons, having grown up feeling invulnerable, it destroys the empire at the hands of the man who helped build it.
Santino cashes in his marker that John cannot refuse, giving him more power, but also removing the one barrier between him and Wick.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I only really have one. Santiago was so intent on pissing Wick off and he clearly knows that Wick is a force of nature and WILL blow his brains out. He knows Wick will burn his loving house down and more in vengance and yet he just keeps getting in one more dig until they are cleaning his brains from the Continental's floor. Like if you know what Wick truly is, then why the gently caress do you keep on provoking someone who can clearly just wipe you and any 100's of armed henchman out.... and why the gently caress are you going to keep taunting him when he has just rampaged through your museum and blown away your closest 50 armed guards? Wouldnt that be a good time to shut up and run like gently caress?

Up until that point attacking someone inside the Continental was the one unbreakable rule that not even John Wick would openly break since it's a 100% death sentence that no one could ever escape or re-negotiate or buy their way out of. D'Antonio genuinely thought he'd outmaneuvered John and had reached absolute sanctuary. Note that John had fully accepted this fate and was calmly waiting for Winston to execute him later on, only for Winston break the rules and let him start running.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Up until that point attacking someone inside the Continental was the one unbreakable rule that not even John Wick would openly break since it's a 100% death sentence that no one could ever escape or re-negotiate or buy their way out of. D'Antonio genuinely thought he'd outmaneuvered John and had reached absolute sanctuary. Note that John had fully accepted this fate and was calmly waiting for Winston to execute him later on, only for Winston break the rules and let him start running.

It's important to remember that all of Santino's actions are predicated on the rules of the secret world, which he thinks protect him. By the rules he can't attack his sister to take her seat, however by those same rules he can use John Wick to break those rules while his own hands stay "clean". He thinks of the rules as a legalistic order on par with the physical rules of the universe, and as a result fails to comprehend his own folly.

Virtually everyone tells him that calling in John Wick's marker is super stupid, but since Wick owes him by the rules he just can't understand that. Further he believes that the rules involving the secret crime high table, the Continental, and various other pillars of super assassin society will bind everyone. Which is part of the comic irony of invoking the preternatural force that is John Wick to break those rules. Once you force a murder wizard to work their magic the mundane rules of nature no longer exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

Once you force a murder wizard to work their magic the mundane rules of nature no longer exist.

"You stabbed the Devil in the back, you incinerated the priests temple. Now he's free of the marker, what do you think he'll do?"

• Locked thread