Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
My mother has just recently moved in with me for a couple of months. She is doing her Masters in Social Work, and is doing some prac work at my local hospital.

The issue is, her laptop absolutely murders my network bandwidth when connected. I have zero problems normally, and can play games online with a ping of around 45, but the moment she connects it shoots up to over 1000, and then stays at around 700 -900 indefinitly, until she disconnects. My webpage browsing slows noticably, and Netflix on the TV does the whole "pause to buffer for 5 seconds" thing maybe once or twice on a 40 minute show. Normally Netflix on the TV buffers for around 5 seconds at the start of whatever your watching the first time, then never again.

On my network, is:
My PC (via CAT6 cable)
My phone (on the 2.4Ghz band)
Smart TV (on the 5.0 Ghz Band)
Xbox One (on the 5.0 Ghz Band)
My iPod (on the 2.4 Ghz band)
Her laptop (on whatever, usually 2.4 Ghz band)

I can't understand why this would be happening, because all she is doing is sending/recieving email and reading articles persuant to her degree. Lots of text files, webpages and references. These shouldn't be having such a drastic effect on the rest of my network. She doesn't watch youtube or netflix, because she's of the opinion that her laptop is for work only. I have checked her laptop out and cannot find what is causing the network usage.

I cant' seem to find any fixes. I'm having difficulty finding out how to set up QOS on my router, which is a TG789vac v2.

Both my PC and my mothers laptop are using Windows 10 64bit. My mothers laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 series.

My router is a technicolor TG789vac v2.

I'm in Australia.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
On her laptop, open up Task Manager (ctrl-shift-esc) and go to the Performance tab. Is there a lot of activity on the Wi-Fi selection? If so, click on the Open Resource Monitor link and select the Network window to see what process(es) are talking so much.

If there isn't a lot of network activity, try wiring her up to the router to see if it's just a strange Wi-Fi issue.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Actuarial Fables posted:

On her laptop, open up Task Manager (ctrl-shift-esc) and go to the Performance tab. Is there a lot of activity on the Wi-Fi selection? If so, click on the Open Resource Monitor link and select the Network window to see what process(es) are talking so much.

If there isn't a lot of network activity, try wiring her up to the router to see if it's just a strange Wi-Fi issue.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of network activity.
I normally live alone, so having multiple devices drawing large amounts of bandwidth doesn't usually happen. Weirdly, my sister today has been watching movies on the TV with Netflix, and I have experienced zero loss of bandwidth on my PC. If anything, I would have expected to have my ping fly through the roof.

It's all backwards. My PC ping stays at around 50-60 when streaming high-def video to my TV, but the moment my mothers laptop connects to view webpages and recieve emails, it goes absolutely nuts.

I'll try running her her own CAT6 cable and see what happens.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I'm the least qualified person to respond to this, but maybe her laptop and your stuff are interfering with each other over the same 2.4 ghz wireless channels. If you have the ability to manually set her laptop to a different wireless channel it might help. More info:
http://www.metageek.com/training/resources/why-channels-1-6-11.html

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Number_6 posted:

I'm the least qualified person to respond to this, but maybe her laptop and your stuff are interfering with each other over the same 2.4 ghz wireless channels. If you have the ability to manually set her laptop to a different wireless channel it might help. More info:
http://www.metageek.com/training/resources/why-channels-1-6-11.html

My PC is wired.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

princecoo posted:

My PC is wired.

D'oh. Well, as I mentioned, "least qualified person."

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my dad's laptop did the same thing to my network. It went away after I uninstalled several of the toolbars he doesnt know how he got

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
So I figured it out.

Actuarial Fables posted:

There wasn't a lot of network activity. Only a constant flow of around 36kb/s. Nothing to worry about.

So I followed the advice anyway after giving the laptop its own cable, and it turns out that loving OneDrive has been uploading literally everything my mother does to the cloud, constantly. My mother doesn't use OneDrive, didn't know what it was or what it did, it was just chugging along in the background, trying to upload over a gig of data at all times.

Killed OneDrive. Network is back to normal. Thanks!

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Glad you were able to figure it out. I'll have to find a different tool to quickly look at network usage if Task Manager doesn't show accurate results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree
You should also do your mom a solid and go in to the update settings and turn off the option that basically turns your computer in to a windows update server for everyone around the drat world. It was enabled by default on my new computer.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224981/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-uploading-updates-to-other-pcs-over-the-internet/

• Locked thread