Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
aww i clicked here via the ad and just actually read the thread and the goons like your game :3: congratulations, i hope it does well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
OP, title image is not valid. Also I bought your game, looking forward to playing it soon!

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Having played this at PAX, it's a p. good twine game that i'm genuinely considering picking up.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Avshalom posted:

aww i clicked here via the ad and just actually read the thread and the goons like your game :3: congratulations, i hope it does well!

came here to post this, rock on OP you're cool

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Out of curiosity, how well did the game do on mobile? It would be awesome if one could actually make somewhat of a living writing Twine games.

I've had your game's demo sitting in a tab for like three months now. It's probably time to actually play it.

Also, the images in the OP are dead, you might want to re-host them on Imgur or something.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 21, 2017

tangwystal
Jun 26, 2013
Alder: Hey! Sorry about the lag. I recently pushed an update to fix it. Let me know if it's still a problem.

Megazver: It did okay, but not as well as it's doing on steam. I'm not retiring anytime soon, this is my first game and isn't very well known, but Choice of Games gives me hope.

Jinh: I adore the Dresden files and will not deny the inspiration.

Images fixed! Dropbox's public folder went private and so ends an era.

tangwystal fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 22, 2017

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
The vampire game is pretty fun too, well done!

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
This sounds pretty sweet. I might check it out tonight.
I've cross-posted your OP to my personal group's forums, so you might get a couple more hits from there, too.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

I played around with your games today some, and I picked up Open Sorcery on Steam! Thanks!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So this has been nominated for a heck-ton of Xyzzy Awards which is kind of a big deal, for a text adventure. Congrats!

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Megazver posted:

So this has been nominated for a heck-ton of Xyzzy Awards which is kind of a big deal, for a text adventure. Congrats!

Well fuckin deserved, congrats!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Oh it seems like our author's other game, 16 Ways to Kill a Vampire at McDonalds, also got some noms. Yay!

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I haven't given that one a go yet, though understanding it's Buffy related I decided to familiarize myself with the series first.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Uh, not really. It's just vaguely similar in the premise. As in, there are vampires and there are people killing them. Watching two hundred hours of entirely unrelated television before playing it might be a smidge unnecessary.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Megazver posted:

That's super neat! Congrats on the nominations!

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey congrats!

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So this game is good, but I keep having a weird problem which is screwing up parts of the game - sometimes it just quickly skips through a section of dialogue literally instantly before i can read anything, and in one case, with the hungry ghost, it pre-picked a decision for me before I could see what it was picking. Any idea what's causing it?

DCBomB
Sep 14, 2008

On what platform are you playing?

tangwystal
Jun 26, 2013
Thanks everyone! I'm super excited about the Xyzzys!

I should have known goons would know about something so esoteric and geeky. :)

Wolpertinger: That's a new one. Like DCBomB said--please let me know what platform you're on. And is it at any particular section of the game, or does it just happen at random?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Turns out my mouse started to break literally just as I bought this game - after beating it I noticed it started happening everywhere, haha. My mouse is randomly double or triple clicking sometimes instead of normal clicking.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Wolpertinger posted:

Turns out my mouse started to break literally just as I bought this game - after beating it I noticed it started happening everywhere, haha. My mouse is randomly double or triple clicking sometimes instead of normal clicking.

Same, except for the timing related to the game, it's driving me nuts.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
I played the demo and really enjoyed your style of writing and the world.

At first I thought the puns were a little obvious and overused (daemon/demon, things like that...) but otherwise this is a very novel concept and I'm gonna buy the game!

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Macavity posted:

I played the demo and really enjoyed your style of writing and the world.

At first I thought the puns were a little obvious and overused (daemon/demon, things like that...) but otherwise this is a very novel concept and I'm gonna buy the game!

But daemon/demon is like the main one that isn't even a pun. They're based off of the same root word, and daemons are called that in coding because they serve the same protective function, like a sorcerer binding a spirit to guard his tower or something.

Merriam-Webster, in part:

DAEMON
variant spelling of demon

1: an evil spirit : a source or agent of evil, harm, distress, or ruin
2: (usually daemon) : an attendant power or spirit

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Best Individual PC and Best Puzzles, yay!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Megazver posted:

Best Individual PC and Best Puzzles, yay!
Congratulations!

Open Sorcery is a great game and I love everything about the concept. You put a lot of attention to detail and love into it.

Can you talk about your development environment? I've found the default editor to be deeply frustrating. Lacking as it does syntax highlighting, spell checking, adequate search, anything like modern variable tracking or even fully implemented undo.

Testing is also a laborious process. Since there is no way to control variable values during debugging anything past the early game requires playing through the previous segments or repeatedly hacking up the code to make a test version with the desired state.

I'm hoping that you've found solutions to some of the problems I've encountered that I can emulate. If not, your accomplishments are even more impressive.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That is awesome, congratulations! Well deserved for sure.

tangwystal
Jun 26, 2013
Thank you all! Xyzzys is kind of a dream come true for me, since I've been playing IF since Xyzzy was just the name of a spell instead of an awards ceremony. :D :)

LLSix: I'm so glad! I very much did. :)

I love Twine despite its primitive IDE mostly because I'm used to working with javascript in Visual Studio, and as gloriously useful as VS is for working in C#, it still is pretty much just a syntax highlighter when you're working in javascript. You gotta debug with console.log and the dev tools. So short answer is I tolerate the dirt because I'm used to rolling around in the mud.

I forgive it a lot because I just like the idea so much--a one html-page game of interactive text. It's so utterly portable and lightweight, does exactly what I want creatively, and I can use all the tricks I've learned from web development to make cool poo poo/copy from the MASSIVE library of neat things people have done with javascript and CSS. I do find the Twine node structure a highly intuitive way of keeping myself modular and I really like having a visual structure of my program instead of just lists of files. Twine has gotten better at searching with the last update and incorporating javascript, which is what I use whenever I'm doing anything complex, is now easier.

Caveats: Undo still kind of sucks, which is why I do most of my text editing in Sublime (a beautiful text editor). I am not a super fan of the last twine update--I feel like it made editing in-window much clunkier and I'm hoping that will be rectified. And I have had to hack up the Harlowe library in many warranty voiding ways to make it do what I want. I'm kind of using my own, hacked twine library at this point.

I have a trick to make testing easier. You have to have a saving system implemented to make it work, which I did for Open Sorcery and it was pretty easy since saving is incorporated into most of the script libraries. I have a Node called Elsewhere which changes values and then automatically shunts you back to the last node you were at. Then, whenever I want to change a value, I just change it in the elsewhere node code, refresh the game, reload the session, and visit Elsewhere. Voila, the values are changed and I'm still where I want to be. If you'd like the code for that, I'd be happy to share!

As an aside, my brother sometimes tells me stories about your demon-themed cyoa games. I liked the wolf-healing litigation!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Thank you.

That's a good trick.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

tangwystal posted:

As an aside, my brother sometimes tells me stories about your demon-themed cyoa games. I liked the wolf-healing litigation!

I still really miss LLSix's Stardew Harvest CYOA. Was just thinking about it again a few months ago and linked somebody to go read it. :unsmith:

Oh I also went and got Open Sorcery on Steam and really liked it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
I (finally) just finished my first playthrough of this over the weekend on Android. It was awesome. I love the world and the characters. There's some poignant prose and emotional moments. I am working on additional playthroughs, now, to see alternate events and endings.

Bravo.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 31, 2017

• Locked thread