Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

DoctaFun posted:

Great info guys, keep it coming.

I have been watching a few of the F2 youtube videos, they are kind of annoying but those two dudes are pretty talented. In one of the videos they talk about the geography of the Premier League and it was really interesting to see. Basically, all the premier league teams are clustered in a geographic area similar in size to the state of Alabama. Obviously the rivalries are fierce, are there a lot of physical altercations between fans? In the US you'll hear about fights every once in awhile, but it's mostly just people getting heckled in the stands. I've always heard rumors about referees in the South America being murdered and stuff like that, but I'm not sure how real that is.

Also, I saw the ESPN 30 for 30 on the Hillsborough disaster the other day, it was one of the saddest things I've ever seen. I asked my parents and other people who are older than me and most had never heard of that before. Did anyone else catch that? Just appalling the lack of planning/action taken that day.

It wasn't the only one. I can also name Heysel and Luzhniki disasters just off the top of my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

DoctaFun posted:

I have been watching a few of the F2 youtube videos, they are kind of annoying but those two dudes are pretty talented. In one of the videos they talk about the geography of the Premier League and it was really interesting to see. Basically, all the premier league teams are clustered in a geographic area similar in size to the state of Alabama. Obviously the rivalries are fierce, are there a lot of physical altercations between fans? In the US you'll hear about fights every once in awhile, but it's mostly just people getting heckled in the stands. I've always heard rumors about referees in the South America being murdered and stuff like that, but I'm not sure how real that is.

Also, I saw the ESPN 30 for 30 on the Hillsborough disaster the other day, it was one of the saddest things I've ever seen. I asked my parents and other people who are older than me and most had never heard of that before. Did anyone else catch that? Just appalling the lack of planning/action taken that day.

In the 70's there was a massive massive problem with fan violence, they would fight in the terrafces outside and such then we saw the emergence of the professional hooligans like your millwall's and your leeds, the heysal disaster is probably the most notable event coming from hooliganism which got english teams banned for a number of years. Eventually football fans got their own laws along with terrorists (the only two specific groups that have laws for them in the UK).

Nowadays you usually just hear about a few skirmishes outside the ground somewhere or some fat guy punching another fat guy in the ground.

On the Hillsborough disaster it was absolutely shocking the more details came out about it, even more so when you look at the sun's coverage of it.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

Nowadays you usually just hear about a few skirmishes outside the ground somewhere or some fat guy punching another fat guy in the ground.

Also sometimes a horse

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

DoctaFun posted:

England used to have a very serious problem with hooliganism. Most teams had "firms" (if you've seen Green Street this is a (highly fictualised) version of this). It kind of started in the 60s, rose through the 70s and reached its peak in the 80s. Fights were a regular occurrence and games would regularly be marred by violence in the stands. Unfortunately, this culture led to a number of disasters in stadiums, notably Heysel and Hillsborough. The former was caused by hooligans, almost exclusively Liverpool fans, fighting European fans (this was a thing in the 80s, UK firms would try to go abroad and stamp their authority on the international scene), the latter a direct police and media attitude towards football fans in general.

Fortunately that has diminished dramatically. Since the 90s banning orders have basically cut off the head of firms. They can't go to games and watch their team (after all, most firms are diehard supporters first) if they want to also have a scrap. There are still some surviving, but they tend to organise fights with each other away from the stadium to try and circumvent this. Occasionally you do get some fights breaking out in stadiums, but this is rare and usually confined to derbies (and Millwall. gently caress Millwall).

Eastern Europe and South America is an entirely different kettle of fish though.

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002

EvilHawk posted:

Eastern Europe and South America is an entirely different kettle of fish though.

If you want to get a better idea of this, go watch Foreign Fields (part of a BBC documentary series) on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2RHsxRcBsE

While Lazio are the worst offender by far in Serie A (and probably Italy, by default), this is the kind of thing you see all over the eastern side of the continent, and South America. In fact, most of the ultras you'll see in Soviet countries are there specifically to fight, and couldn't give less of a poo poo about the match's outcome. Greece and Turkey are a bit of a blend of that and going batshit over all of the sports encompassed by whatever club they follow, which is where you get hilarious moments like flares getting tossed and fans brawling at a women's volleyball match.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Wow, I'm going to have to sit down at home and watch that. I had no idea there was basically organized gangs(for lack of better word) who just beat up on each other. It looks like on the Italian side it might be rooted in more than just club allegiance, but it's fascinating nonetheless.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Italian ultras are as political as they are club loyalists. Lazio has calmed down a lot over the years compared to what they used to do. The real bad poo poo is in the lower leagues.

Compared to when ultras were trying to kill police officers (and vice versa) things have improved anyway.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

DoctaFun posted:

Wow, I'm going to have to sit down at home and watch that. I had no idea there was basically organized gangs(for lack of better word) who just beat up on each other. It looks like on the Italian side it might be rooted in more than just club allegiance, but it's fascinating nonetheless.

https://twitter.com/wscsm1/status/835193291662581760

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Italian ultras did this, never forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_Nu6HKVSmk

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

lol, not as insane as that clip, but Vice did a documentary about the Belgrade derby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tskXWfy6eK0

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

This was insanely good.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

DoctaFun posted:

One thing I think it's hard for Americans to grasp is how incredibly tribal club football is. Most football clubs in England are over a hundred years old. We're talking four or five generations who have grown up supporting the same team. You then have the historical context of it. Liverpool and Manchester have been rivals (as cities) since the industrial revolution. Southampton and Portsmouth have been at odds for as long as the Royal and Merchant Navies have existed. Intercity rivalries are drawn along social, political, and religious grounds. Most of the "organised gangs" came out of these associations. You'd have people three or four generations into supporting their team, from their city, in the same social class, supporting the same religion etc. etc. then taking on their closest rival.

It's changed a bit in recent years where rivalries have sprung up out of purely footballing sources (e.g. Liverpool v Chelsea, United v Arsenal) but there's still an element of the above involved.

Because America in general and American sports in particular are relatively new and almost entirely artificial (due to the franchise system) you just don't get the same level of deep rooted hatred.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity

DoctaFun posted:

Is Zlatan the coolest player in the world?

If you like dank memes and hilarious twitter accounts clearly run by sponsor PR people & trollfootballz, sure.

Woodenlung fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 25, 2017

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Woodenlung posted:

If you like dank memes and hilarious twitter accounts clearly run by sponsor PR people & trollfootballz, sure.

I don't really follow any of that stuff, he just seems like a cool dude. I also heard he told PSG that he'd stay in Paris if they took down the Eiffel Tower and put a statue of him in it's place(or something to that effect), which is pretty hilarious.

EvilHawk posted:

One thing I think it's hard for Americans to grasp is how incredibly tribal club football is. Most football clubs in England are over a hundred years old. We're talking four or five generations who have grown up supporting the same team. You then have the historical context of it. Liverpool and Manchester have been rivals (as cities) since the industrial revolution. Southampton and Portsmouth have been at odds for as long as the Royal and Merchant Navies have existed. Intercity rivalries are drawn along social, political, and religious grounds. Most of the "organised gangs" came out of these associations. You'd have people three or four generations into supporting their team, from their city, in the same social class, supporting the same religion etc. etc. then taking on their closest rival.

It's changed a bit in recent years where rivalries have sprung up out of purely footballing sources (e.g. Liverpool v Chelsea, United v Arsenal) but there's still an element of the above involved.

Because America in general and American sports in particular are relatively new and almost entirely artificial (due to the franchise system) you just don't get the same level of deep rooted hatred.

That makes a lot of sense, are there any interesting characteristics of fanbases? ie: 'team x' fans are all blue collar workers with drinking problems and 'team y' fans are all rich and spoiled?

How does Harry Kane score so many goals? I've watched him play many times and he seems to always score but doesn't appear to be especially fast or skilled on the ball. He just looks like he shoots the ball every single time he gets it. Just gets into good positions and has great finishing skills?

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

DoctaFun posted:

I don't really follow any of that stuff, he just seems like a cool dude. I also heard he told PSG that he'd stay in Paris if they took down the Eiffel Tower and put a statue of him in it's place(or something to that effect), which is pretty hilarious.

That makes a lot of sense, are there any interesting characteristics of fanbases? ie: 'team x' fans are all blue collar workers with drinking problems and 'team y' fans are all rich and spoiled?

How does Harry Kane score so many goals? I've watched him play many times and he seems to always score but doesn't appear to be especially fast or skilled on the ball. He just looks like he shoots the ball every single time he gets it. Just gets into good positions and has great finishing skills?

he's got really good movement and finishing yes.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

DoctaFun posted:

In very broad strokes:

Anyone down south (basically Southampton and Bournemouth) are posh as gently caress

The Liverpool/Manchester teams are scallies who'll nick your tires when you're at the game then charge you for the privilege of watching your car

The Northern teams are all fat men who take their shirt off when it's -10c and punch horses

It's the London lot that are usually the worst. Lots of teams that have built up around strongly working class areas that have had to fight (both literally and figuratively) against their neighbours for money/resources/respect. So West Ham, Chelsea, Millwall (in particular) have/had some of the biggest "firms". Nowadays Chelsea is attracting new richer fans, hence all the stuff about them having "plastic" fans, and their reputation has suffered.

Also: it's England, everyone has a drinking problem. The only difference is what you drink.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

EvilHawk posted:

Also because of geography (there are only like four metropolitan areas — NYC, Chicago, LA and the SF Bay Area — that have more than one pro team in the same sport).

There's a bit more of it in college football and basketball, albeit nothing close to Europe.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Real Name Grover posted:

Also because of geography (there are only like four metropolitan areas — NYC, Chicago, LA and the SF Bay Area — that have more than one pro team in the same sport).

There's a bit more of it in college football and basketball, albeit nothing close to Europe.

College football definitely has some similarities, but because of the nature of colleges (i.e. you don't necessarily go to the college your parents did, players don't stick around etc.) it will never quite match up.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
That too. Though there was that period of time where certain schools wouldn't play Notre Dame because they were Catholic

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

That actually raises another good point. In college football teams can choose who they schedule (there's been talk about not scheduling teams like Baylor or Penn State for example). You don't have that choice in club football. You can be scheduled against your fiercest rival as many as 8 times a season (not counting the Charity Shield). That breeds those deep, heated rivalries.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

blue footed boobie posted:

Also a large portion of the population (read: black people) aren't exposed to the game at a young age.

Blacks are 12% of the population

And OP if you're American just call it soccer not football.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

DoctaFun posted:

Hello there, have you been looking for the opportunity to educate someone on the mysteries of world football? Well here's your chance!

I'm from the US and played 'soccer' my whole life, I understand the game although I never had a coach worth a drat so we always got by on natural talent, not on any soft of tactics or strategy. I've been watching a lot more European football since having a baby, I'm up for all the early morning BPL games on NBC Sports. I also play a lot of Fifa, which has made me a lot more familiar with the players in most of the big European leagues. Naturally, my curiosity has reached an all time high and I'm looking for answers. Hoping you lot are a willing to oblige, if not, just make fun of the American dude who doesn't know anything or something, that's cool too.

How important is a 'good' manager compared to other sports?
I've always wondered how much of a difference a manager can make in professional sports, baseball for instance seems on the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to importance, while something like American football seems on the higher end. I mentioned before I never actually had a soccer coach who knew anything, so we just kind of had an initial formation and made zero adjustments or changes throughout the game. I look at a team like Chelsea this year though, who doesn't seem to have changed their roster too much from last year, but are having a drastically different season.

How different is club football from international football?
I think this is probably a pretty obvious question, it seems like the elite clubs have far more talent than most national teams, but is it just about talent or the fact that they play more frequently with their clubs than they do with their national teams?

Why is USA so bad at football?
My theory on this is that there isn't the same money to be made in the US if you play soccer as there is in baseball/football/basketball/etc, so there aren't any amazing athletes who choose to play soccer at a young age. They are being told to specialize in sport x at an early age. If some of our most prodigious athletes had moved to Europe at a young age and played football instead of 'other sport', would we have more American soccer stars? I just look at some of the players in the NFL for instance and drat, they are freak athletes, what if they would have played soccer instead? I remember watching the last Copa America with some excitement as the US made it to the semi finals, then we played Argentina and it was like watching

What are some nationality stereotypes in world football?
Are some countries known for producing rock solid defensive players? Are some known for producing the best strikers in the world? I look at a country like Argentina and see Messi, Aguero, Dybala, Di Maria, Higuain, Icardi and think holy crap that's a lot of amazing attacking players, but then I start to look for midfielders or defenders(maybe that wasn't the case when Mascherano/Otamendi/Zabaleta were a few years younger) and I don't see nearly the same level(or maybe I'm wrong). Is this a thing or is it just natural talent cycles?

Does everyone argue all the time about which European league is the best? Which is the best?
BPL seems to have a bit more spread of talent than the other big leagues, but that could just be that it's the most visible league for me. Seems like Bayern Munich and PSG just curb stomp their leagues every year and LaLiga is the Atletico/Barca/RM show. Serie A seems like it has a handful of teams that could compete, although Juventus seems like maybe they are on a slightly higher level?

Is Zlatan the coolest player in the world?

no bitch

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

African AIDS cum posted:

Blacks are 12% of the population

And OP if you're American just call it soccer not football.

12% is a large portion and also they are athletically superior to the other races and have bigger dicks

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
You wanted to know about the way youth football works, this is an article that goes into some of it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/longform_manchester_cold_war

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
A nice hooligan rivalry is the one between Ajax and Feyenoord in Holland. In 1997 the two firms met in a field near Beverwijk, and tried to kill eachother. Only one Ajax dude was killed though, by a claw hammer to the head. Then the police came.

Read all about it in the Battle of Beverwijk Wikipedia article!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Beverwijk

(to this day, Ajax supporters are not allowed to visit feyenoord matches because of the risks involved, and vice versa. So, the matches are played without an away section)

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tsaedje posted:

You wanted to know about the way youth football works, this is an article that goes into some of it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/longform_manchester_cold_war

This is a good article, thanks.

Stuff like this is remarkable to me:

quote:

“My son was five at the time, playing quite well,” says one father, who spoke to BBC Sport on condition of anonymity.

“He'd played in a match, scored seven or eight goals, and after the game I was approached by a scout from City. He told me he was impressed by my son, and would like him to come in.

“I felt very, very proud. When someone comes up to you and says your son can go to City or United, initially you jump at it without any thought.

“And he struggled. He was overawed by it all, the big difference between training with his friends and at a development centre. There was a lot more pressure, even at that age. I noticed straight away.

“He was there for 12 weeks. As things progressed he shunned away from making contact in the games, and was half the player he was when he initially went. His game suffered. His confidence went.

“I knew the phone call was coming. We were told he would be released, and it was very difficult telling him what had happened. I remember him sitting on the stairs and crying for about an hour. He just wanted to sit out on his own.

“It knocked him massively. At that age it's a big hit to the system. It's taken him two years to get back where he was.”

The amount of pressure some of these kids have to deal with at such a young age is amazing and something I never could have done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The amount of pressure some of these kids have to deal with at such a young age is amazing and something I never could have done.
It makes me respect entertaining players with flair even more.

• Locked thread