Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Problem description: Over the past week or so, a couple keys on my desktop keyboard stop working for a period of time. Sometimes they start working after a few seconds, sometimes it takes a couple of hours for them to come back. At first it was just the S key, but a couple days later S started working fine, but D and the period keys started having issues. Now those keys work fine again, but p and some of the function keys are now occasionally unresponsive. The keys still work with the on-screen keyboard.

Attempted fixes: Changed to a different keyboard, reinstalled keyboard drivers, tried a different USB port, ran anti-virus/spyware.

Recent changes: Nothing that I can think of.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

System specs:
AMD FX-4100 3.60 GHz Quad-Core
GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AMD 970 Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 550 TI
8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory
600 Watts - Standard Power Supply
WD Blue 1TB Desktop HD

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Try a PS/2 keyboard if you have one. Or attach the keyboard to a USB to PS/2 adapter.

That would narrow the issue down more.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

I thought I had a ps/2 adapter lying around, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I will go pick one up in town in a few days. Any other things you might suggest trying while I wait for that?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure you're using the latest chipset/USB drivers etc. for the motherboard.

Also, you're using an old motherboard so you could update it to the latest BIOS:

I'm not sure which rev. ### yours is as there are four or five of them.

Make sure you install the correct one:
http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-970A-D3-rev-10-11#ov

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Alright, updated the chipset, USB, and the BIOS itself, but the problem is still persisting.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

The problem seems to have decided to resolve itself at random. Dunno if it will come back or not, but for now everything is working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

If it does come back I'd try the keyboards on another computer.

That would narrow the issue down more.

• Locked thread