Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: Previous Dungeon Crawling Experience | Consequences: Shark Tooth Pincusion (mild) | Stress: []-[]-[]

Honyop's voice (which somehow sounds like it's on helium due to her shapechange) replies to Lamija. "Eeeep! Okay, let's hope this works... "[Repel Undead!]"

Thanks to the angel's weird magicks powering up her spell, the hand releases her harmlessly! Perhaps she should give Byzantiel some credit...

No, let's not.

quote:

23:59 Yamifenrir Alright! Honyo repels that scary undead hand!
23:59 Yamifenrir !r 4df+3
23:59 Krysmbot Yamifenrir, --+-+3 = 1
23:59 Tricky D:
23:59 Yamifenrir oh noes
23:59 Yamifenrir well, this is an overcome
23:59 Yamifenrir I suppose it's opposed?
23:59 Yamifenrir Or does it have a difficulty
00:00 TheFireMagi i'd say this is opposed, to see if the haunted sand can resist
00:00 TheFireMagi so...
00:00 TheFireMagi Can the Haunted Sands resist Honyo's repel spell?
00:00 TheFireMagi ! 4dF+2
00:00 TheFireMagi whoops
00:00 TheFireMagi !r 4dF+2
00:00 Krysmbot TheFireMagi, /-+++2 = 3
00:00 TheFireMagi just woke up and forgot how to roll
00:00 Yamifenrir rip
00:00 Yamifenrir Hmm, let's see here
00:01 TheFireMagi sheesh, yami so quick to act, i haven't even done my next set of prompts yet :v
00:01 Yamifenrir yeah
00:01 Yamifenrir because I have the option to use an aspect
00:02 Yamifenrir which I will do! something very fitting: I will use the free invoke of the Restraining order against dark animates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Pyramid Theme: Super Mario 64 - Lethal Lava Land

Team 1

Team 1 Situation Aspects
'The Fourth Sphere's Minor Restraining Order against Undead or Other Dark Energy Animates of Hostile Intent' (Protection Buff)
Laughter is the best kind of medicine (1 Free Invoke)
(Fixed) Eyes of the Ophanim: (Vision Buff)
Lesser Agility - Group: (Speed Buff)
Hungering Haunted Sands being Held Up:
Overflowing Mana in the Air: (1 Free Enemy Invoke)

Stages
Stage 2: Hundred-Hands of the Haunted Sands
Stage 3: Kumo, Lamija (w/ Honyo)
Stage 4: Guardian Crystal A, Guardian Crystal B
Stage 5: Guardian Crystal C, Guardian Crystal D

Foes | GM Fate Points: 4
Hundred-Hands of the Haunted Sands: * ** *** **** ***** | Mild Consequence: --- | Boost: Hungering Haunted Sands now Hatefully Driven
Guardian Crystal A: * ** | Boost: Mana Core: Charged!
Guardian Crystal B: * **
Guardian Crystal C: * ** | Boost: Mana Core: Charged!
Guardian Crystal D: * **

Unwillingly aided by one of the spirits infesting this ‘quickly’ (relatively) rising sand, Honyopnyoko manages to avoid and deflect the bolts of magical energy sent her way, while Lamija defends against her own attacker with no issue. However, while the onslaught of laser beams has ended for the moment, they’re still something to worry about. Especially now that some of them begin to hum with pure mana, gathering into within their cores, likely to supercharge their next volley!

quote:

[18:41] <TheFireMagi> Guardian Crystal A starts to gather power!
[18:41] <TheFireMagi> Difficulty 2
[18:41] <TheFireMagi> !r 4dF+2
[18:41] <Krysmbot> TheFireMagi, ++--+2 = 2
[18:41] <TheFireMagi> Guardian Crystal B starts to gather power! (Difficulty 2)
[18:41] <TheFireMagi> !r 4dF+2
[18:41] <Krysmbot> TheFireMagi, -++/+2 = 3
[18:41] <TheFireMagi> Guardian Crystal C starts to gather power! (Difficulty 2)
[18:42] <TheFireMagi> !r 4dF+2
[18:42] <Krysmbot> TheFireMagi, ////+2 = 2
[18:42] <TheFireMagi> Guardian Crystal D starts to gather power! (Difficulty 2)
[18:42] <TheFireMagi> !r 4dF+2
[18:42] <Krysmbot> TheFireMagi, -/+-+2 = 1
Guardian Crystals A and C gain the Boost: Mana Core: Charged while Crystal B creates the situation aspect Overflowing Mana in the Air! Crystal D just looks on in shame…

Putting that momentarily aside, the naga swordswoman then carries her vampire friend to the next safe level of platforms, while Kumo follows after on stairs of fading wind. Meanwhile, the arm of sand is repelled by a simple but all too effective spell, and it starts to crumble away back into the massive whole… when it suddenly reforms, clenching into a fist! No, not just a fist, but at least a dozen, two dozen, maybe even more! Slowly but surely they reach back, before unleashing a rain of blows intended to crack the platforms the team are trying to cross! In particular...

Hungering Haunted Sands being Held Up is Overcome, but at a minor cost, in this case the Haunted Sands gets the Boost: ‘Hungering Haunted Sands now Hatefully Driven!’

Lamija Bladesworn

...it’s coming for you, Lamija! Spiteful and bitter these spirits may be, but it seems they’re still intelligent enough to recognize that preventing your progress is the same as preventing Honyopnyoko’s progress as well, since she seems so intent to ride along with you. With what looks like around a hundred furious fists all aimed towards your direction, are you a cool enough swordswoman to avoid getting pummeled!?

Oh, and Kumo did ask you about what the heck the deal was with the sand arms. Might want to address that too just to be polite, even if you don’t really know a whole lot about spirits yourself, besides them occasionally possessing weapons and such. Maybe even do it while dodging if you really want to try and look fancy!

quote:

[18:49] <TheFireMagi> The Hundred-Hands of the Haunted Sands attacks and unleashes their fists towards Lamija! (Burning Boost!)
[18:49] <TheFireMagi> !r 4dF+5
[18:49] <Krysmbot> TheFireMagi, ///-+5 = 4
[18:50] <TheFireMagi> sad
If you fail or tie on your Defense roll, the Platform Overcome becomes 4 for this round as your focus is otherwise divided between crossing and not getting totally destroyed!
Honyopnyoko

Oh jeez! First there was just the one stupid sand-arm, masterfully repelled by yours truly (and maybe with some help by Byzie, whatever), but now there was a whole swarm of them! And they’re punching at you and Lamija! What jerks! Still, now that they’ve coalesced into a more uniform… form, it might be possible to purify the suckers. Or, you know, just blast them away. That probably wouldn’t stop the sand from rising, but it would keep them from knocking Lamija’s lights out. Plus you’re just hanging around in her pocket anyways.

On the other hand… now that you get a good chance to observe them from a relatively safe position, you realize that these crystals could quite easily be broken down into some mana shards, which can be used as a sort of catalyst in enchanting reactions. Worth drawing their aggro and not dealing with the Hundred-Hands? Up to you!

Kumo Tsugami

Platforms crossed, team met up with, piece of cake! Okay so there were like a million lasers and now a million sand fists, but details. You’ve made it up on your own without too much trouble, despite that dizziness of yours still proving a real pain, though at least blowing away your excess power seems to have helped a fair amount. Plus, at least you’re not Lamija, who seems to be getting focus fired by the Hundred-Hands. Could put a few magic blasts of your own into that sand creature, if you so choose. With all the mana gathered in the air from the Guardian Crystals, you could probably tap into some of that too, if you concentrated properly.

Just a reminder that you can invoke Situation Aspects created by enemies if they’re appropriate! No free invokes though, obviously.

Team 2

Team 2 Situation Aspects
'The Fourth Sphere's Minor Restraining Order against Undead or Other Dark Energy Animates of Hostile Intent' (Protection Buff)
Laughter is the best kind of medicine (1 Free Invoke)
(Fixed) Eyes of the Ophanim: (Vision Buff)

Quips (and ignoring of quips) aside, Lady Kyrios gives a simple nod and tags along behind the two of you as you head towards the left door to begin the first part of your trial. You step onto the cross-shaped platform to do so, when the sound of some sort of loud impacts roar out from the pit below. Looking down, you can make the sight of several faint figures deep down. Familiar figures, even. It’s the rest of the party! And they’re being shot at by some crystals of a similar hue to the orbs that Samiam pockets away in his pocket dimensions, before your naga friend is punched at by… sand? Well, that’s odd. Nothing you can do from here, it seems, but at least you know they’re alive. Steeling yourselves, you step through the door and find…

Alternative Desert Theme: Paper Mario - Dry, Dry Desert

...you’re back in the desert? What? Was this some kind of teleportation trap? Did you get sent outside the pyramid? No, wait, the door you all stepped through is still there closed behind you, utterly out of place with the rest of the surroundings. So strange as this sight may be, it must be part of the trial, somehow. So… what are you supposed to do, exactly? The Desert King said to return the orb, but there doesn’t seem to be any place to return it…?

As your group ponders on that, you eventually notice a sound coming from behind you, like something being dragged through the sand. Could it be more of those damned sharks?

It appears not. Instead, what you see is a dark-skinned young man, adorned in little more than the cloak drawn close around his body. In his hand is a staff that the young man leans on as he pushes himself forward, sweat pouring down his face. As you examine closer, there are signs of injury on his chest, with small bits of blood dripping down from what appear to be sword wounds. Looking utterly exhausted and all too short of breath, the young man doesn’t even seem to notice you as he marches through the desert. Rather, all you hear is him muttering to himself,

“...I cannot perish here. I cannot perish here. I cannot perish here. I cannot perish here. I cannot perish here. I cannot perish here. I cannot perish here. I cannot perish here. I cannot perish-”

The mantra goes on and on, and though it seems to drain him physically, the words seem to give him the resolve to press on. Still, without aid or some place to recover, it’s inevitable the young man will perish in spite of his wishes, especially with how intensely the sun blazes overhead. In fact… you all notice as it seems to be getting even hotter, and hotter, and hotter, and-

“Holy crap! This is waaay too much! Gonna die out here! Uh, again!”

-as Lady Kyrios bluntly puts it, at this rate, you’ll all waste away, corpses shrivelled from the heat. You need to figure out where to return this orb to, ASAP, before it’s too late. Maybe someone should try scouting around, see if there’s any landmarks to be found? Or perhaps the young man might be of assistance, as focused as he is on survival.

Trial of the Sun: Start! The difficulty to Overcome and take the first step to figuring out the Path is… 6!? What the hell is this nonsense!? Desert King!!! :argh:

Byzantiel

Seriously, what kind of nonsense trial is this? With absolutely no information to work on, you might as well just pick a random direction and start walking! Honestly, how absurd, how arbitrary! But it seems there’s no choice but to play along and figure out what the Desert King intends from the three of you… right? Whatever you decide, best make it quick. Angel or not, your body burns up like any other being.

Samiam

This absolute joke of a king! You kind of got the impression he wasn’t exactly the easy-going, light-hearted type from your brief question and answer session, but this is hardly even a trial! Nothing you can do about it now, however, except keep that ever lovely humor of yours and march on. Just like the young man over there, actually. So, what’s the plan, Samiam?

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 4, 2017

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Fate Points: 3/3 | Boosts: None! | Consequences: None! | Stress: [_] [_] [_]

Lamija sighs with relief as her bat companion returns to a more appropriate weight, but that relief does not last long. Sandy fists soar up at her and she is forced to dance between the blows. At first, she is content to merely sway between the strikes, but as the barrage continues her mocking smile slowly turns more and more serious. First, one blade is unsheathed and then the second. As a particularly massive fist slams down into the platform, it seems that even the greatest swordswoman of all time has fallen!

The sand and dust swirls around for several moments, then a mocking laugh echoes from a platform even higher above. Lamija looks scornfully down at the possessed sand creature, "Is that all you're capable of? I'm afraid you're ten-thousand years too early to be my match! The Snake Blade has a 2000-year history, after all~!"

quote:

4:35 PM <Tricky> Lamija Quickly dodges 100 sandy hands!
4:35 PM <Tricky> !r 4dF+4
4:35 PM <Krysmbot> Tricky, ---++4 = 2
4:38 PM <Tricky> alright, gonna go with a FP reroll (My Style has a 2000-Year History!)
4:38 PM <Tricky> !r 4dF+4
4:38 PM <Krysmbot> Tricky, +--++4 = 4

The Defend Ties and the hands get a boost! The difficulty to Overcome the platform becomes 4!

quote:

4:40 PM <Tricky> Next up, Lamija Quickly ascends ever higher!
4:40 PM <Tricky> !r 4dF+3
4:40 PM <Krysmbot> Tricky, ++-++3 = 5

The Overcome Succeeds and Team Snakebat move to Stage 4.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Fate Points: 2/3 | Boosts: Convenient Foresight, Angelic Guidance | Consequences: - | Stress: -

Byzantiel slowly scanned the expanse, until finally speaking. "I am not opposed to work however due to present time constraints and the overtly simple nature of combing a desert I shall delegate this task to interns. Stand by."

With a few, simple motions, and by sending a few angelic scripts that seemed more like terse orders rather than long-winded legalese, Byzantiel summoned forth the power of several weak angelic spirits to do the busywork of scanning the sands for him, and send in the results, via a convenient visual format.

quote:

TheFireMagi: You see visions of adventurers trudging through the desert, many of whom collapse before fading away, and in the distance you notice a city off in the distance, its image shimmering in the heat...
TheFireMagi: You also notice that some of the adventurers are alone or in their own groups, while others seem to be travelling with the young man before you.
TheFireMagi: Rather, I should say it's more like the young man is chasing after the visions of the adventurers.

"It would seem that we inhabit some sort of either illusory or multidimensional space. A shimmering structure which might or might not be a mirage lies that way", Byzantiel points in the direction, "Several other groups have come here in the past walking in groups towards the structure or walking with this person here", Byzantiel pointed at the man on the ground. "Whether any of these groups has been ultimately successful remains yet unknown however many have perished soon after arriving. I suggest walking towards the structure until more information presents itself."

quote:

Theantero: Righto, Byzantiel Carefully Creates Advantage to Summon some Angelic Guidance to give good advice! (Difficulty 3)
Theantero: !r 4df+3
Krysmbot: Theantero, //+-+3 = 3

I Tie, thus creating the Boost: Angelic Guidance

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:

Fate Points: 4/3 | Boosts: - | Consequences: - (Mild)winded and dazed | Stress: - [ ] [ ] [x]

Samiam seems to have gotten a small cocktail umbrella from somewhere in his outfit and was trying to shelter under it. He shook his head and stored it and took out a slightly bigger but still much too small parasol. "This is some murderous heat..." He looked at Lady Kyrios and then handed her the small umbrella. "You might as well get what shade you can. I'm used to slightly hotter temperatures. I'll survive." He glanced at the walking man in front of them. He frowned, the heat sucking the smile from his face.

"What's the odds that that's the Desert King and this is all some tale about his origins? Orb of kingly power to be put in it's rightful place? We're probably going to have to put it back into him. If so then we've got maybe three to one odds on this either being a memory conjured by the king, or as you say an illusion. Maybe that's why the sun is so hot. Because he remembers it that way. Well we've got no choice but to follow along, so let's take our places in his little play and maybe make a few edits here and there"

Samiam approached the injured man, managing to affect a wilting smile, the effect somewhat ruined by the make up that was starting to run from sweat "Hoy! Boy! A moment of your time please. You look like you could use a drink of something eh?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flamander
May 4, 2009

Fate Points: 2/3 | Boosts: | Consequences: - | Stress:

Kumo looked ahead. "Hm. Well then." Seems like she wasn't going to get an answer to that question. She observed the platforms above for a short while. Seemed like a safe bet. "Just have to get up there, huh?" The postwoman took a moment to show off as she made her way up the platforms - a pose here, and a spin there... really, that's all you needed! Honestly, it's a wonder she hadn't went into the dramatic arts soon-EUGH.

The tsukumogami fell down to a platform quite far below from the point she was messing around at. Take one step forward, then one step backwards. She supposed that was what she got for fooling around at a life-or-death situation. Kumo sighed as she waited; while observing the platforms up above. Looks like she was going to have to be careful if she wanted to continue any further.

quote:

23:24 Flamander !r 4df+3
23:24 Krysmbot Flamander, //--+3 = 1

• Locked thread