Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001

echinopsis posted:

same except also when i drain the snake (my battery) and can't resist using till it's death

this is called riding the snake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
always swipe your apps away after using, according to iaido best practices

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
in Android you can set a hard limit on the number of apps open for some reason

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

My ipad was being stupid with battery because of background refresh. Now it uses 0% overnight. That was a terrible feature to allow, stebe

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
overnight is when I charge my phone and download podcasts

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

this is called riding the snake

late nite riding the snake. too involved in the meme process to engage charger

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
About once a month I let my phone drain to zero (or close to it) and then charge it all the way up to 100% in one go, to make the battery last longer. That, and disabling background app refresh for all but a select few apps is the only phone janitoring I do.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Doc Block posted:

About once a month I let my phone drain to zero (or close to it) and then charge it all the way up to 100% in one go, to make the battery last longer.

lmao source you're iyg quotes

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
thanks for this tip op!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Doc Block posted:

About once a month I let my phone drain to zero (or close to it) and then charge it all the way up to 100% in one go, to make the battery last longer. That, and disabling background app refresh for all but a select few apps is the only phone janitoring I do.

what religious text instructs you to perform this ritual?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I see people swiping all their apps closed all the time. idgi

must be a thing to look busy on a phone for an extra 5 seconds

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Doc Block posted:

lol. this only works with nickel-cadnium batteries

li-ion batts are adversely effected by fully discharging, stop doing this you dolt

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

what about li-po

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
IDK, I read it somewhere in Apple's support docs or some poo poo.

I don't always do it on purpose. Often it goes under 10% just from regular use, at which point I try to let it charge all the way back up to 100% before unplugging it again.

And I've read elsewhere that even li-ion batteries last longer if they get a full drain/recharge cycle every once in a while. Obviously they aren't as bad about it as nicad batteries were.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

lol. this only works with nickel-cadnium batteries

li-ion batts are adversely effected by fully discharging, stop doing this you dolt

even with ni-cads i think the "memory effect" was only an issue if you regularly recharged and discharged the battery to exactly the same levels over and over again. like they first discovered it in satellites, which had an extremely regular charge/discharge cycle (constant draw in the dark, then constant charge in the sun, for identical time intervals down to the second, 15 times a day). if you were using a power drill etc. like a normal human does then you'd probably never notice it, and any instances of "this drill dies soooo quickly!" were just cause nicd batteries are garbage poop from a butt

Doc Block posted:

IDK, I read it somewhere in Apple's support docs or some poo poo.

I don't always do it on purpose. Often it goes under 10% just from regular use, at which point I try to let it charge all the way back up to 100% before unplugging it again.

And I've read elsewhere that even li-ion batteries last longer if they get a full drain/recharge cycle every once in a while. Obviously they aren't as bad about it as nicad batteries were.

incorrect. lithium rechargeables lose capacity when they reach the edges of their voltage range. fully discharging and fully charging (mostly the discharging) cause the damage that eventually destroys the cell. if you keep your battery always between like 20% and 80%, it will last many times longer than if you always drain and fully recharge it. note that your phone already does this to some extent -- there's some potential capacity in the battery that you never use -- but it's a continuous improvement as you use less of the scale. this is how electric cars manage to use their battery packs for more than 18 months of charging every day without killing them.

whatever apple is telling you is voodoo.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 7, 2017

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

whatever apple is telling you is voodoo.

There is a built in learning cycle is programmed with expected wear rates on the battery which adjust the displayed charge rate. However, those can vary from the actual state of your battery and doing a complete discharge occasionally (like maybe once a year) helps that algorithm re calibrate so the battery charge bar is accurate. not doing this can result in the phone incorrectly showing 5% charge for hours or jumping from 20% to 0 because the calculated battery capacity didn't match up with reality.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

overnight is when I charge my phone and download podcasts

same

gotta get my cool games inc/chapo trap house/cum town fix :getin:

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
I keep all my apps open so i dont waste any battery loading them into the ram suckers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i tbought discharging it fully gave the phone a chance to recalibrate ??? like phone gets to 1% but sits there for ages coz obv one percent is not one percent

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that may be, sure, but it sounds like your phone is still using all of its capacity and just not reporting its state-of-charge correctly to the user. the phone doesn't shut off immediately at 1%, it sits there until the charge actually drops to the cut-off point.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you're right, i mean if i use the mentality of charge when i can then do so and all else will generally work out the best within reason and i mean ideal by the time battery fucks out its time for a new phone

if only there was a modular phone that let you switch our components and batteries and add a camera if necessary and maybe a module that is haunted

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
holy poo poo, so much voodoo based nonsense in this thread.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
How about your bespoke phone has charging logic to handle how the battery should be maintained and you should worry about other things like your bad posting

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I'm not a battery guy at all and don't pay attention to the advances, but I thought we were at the point that you didn't have to babysit your charging at all and it was all handled by onboard logic.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I'm not a battery guy at all and don't pay attention to the advances, but I thought we were at the point that you didn't have to babysit your charging at all and it was all handled by onboard logic.

Correct.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

for a consumer electronic device like a cell phone this is true.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

we are. there is also an os to manage memory so you don't have to janitor your apps.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

li-ion and li-po batteries don't develop a "memory" like nicad batteries did, but sometimes the charge indicated on screen can start to be inaccurate (from battery aging at a different rate than expected, apparently). apple's recommended procedure for fixing this is to let the battery completely drain and then fully charge it, to recalibrate the part of the OS that determines how much charge should be left based on battery output voltage and age.

my guess is that "completely" draining the battery does not actually completely drain it, to protect the battery.

and then your have the blackberry playbook, where letting the battery go totally dead bricks the device :downsgun:

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 8, 2017

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Doc Block posted:

and then your have the blackberry playbook, where letting the battery go totally dead bricks the device :downsgun:

I'm sure if you cracked that bad boy open and hooked it up to a 14v car charger for a few minutes you'd be back in business. where are the jumper terminals on a playbook, anyway?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

we are. there is also an os to manage memory so you don't have to janitor your apps.

linuxes like ios don't do memory management properly and ios devices have tiny ram so terminating apps manually is critical

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol shaggar

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i charge my phone lying flat

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

The Management posted:

except for garbage apps like google search that spawn a new window/view/whatever for each time you search and eventually you have to close all b/c it won't search anymore.

i think that's the only reason i ever close apps

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
Shaggar The Horrible

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

abraham linkedin posted:

Shaggar The Horrible

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

we'll never be at that point cause people are dumb

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i swipe my apps away all the time but its more because i feel like bullying them

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

linuxes like ios don't do memory management properly and ios devices have tiny ram so terminating apps manually is critical

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

There is a built in learning cycle is programmed with expected wear rates on the battery which adjust the displayed charge rate. However, those can vary from the actual state of your battery and doing a complete discharge occasionally (like maybe once a year) helps that algorithm re calibrate so the battery charge bar is accurate. not doing this can result in the phone incorrectly showing 5% charge for hours or jumping from 20% to 0 because the calculated battery capacity didn't match up with reality.

This is when I swap my iPhone for a new one at the store for free. A charging cycle will not fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

emoji posted:

This is when I swap my iPhone for a new one at the store for free. A charging cycle will not fix it.

i brought my under active applecare+ iphone 5 to an apple store that would regularly go from 30% to dead and the first store i went to refused to do anything except send me home and recommend i wipe the phone and not restore it from backup

the iphone 5 battery recall came out a few months later lol

• Locked thread