Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Problem description: I'm upgrading my Geforce 660 TI to a 1050 TI but after i install it the computer remains at the boot screen. Google says it's likely my bios needing an update but all the guides are horribly outdated. I bought my computer in 2012 and its worked fine. Current bios version is rev 2, trying to update it to rev 7. I've never had a computer not die on me to need a bios update haha all i know is there's a ton of warnings saying i could scrap my entire MB if i gently caress up.

Attempted fixes: Tried the latest drivers for the 1050 to no avail. System boots fine but stays on the MB's boot screen making me think that its getting signal to the monitor fine. Swapped out both cards multiple times now and it works just fine once i swap back to the 660. All the guides i've found are from 08 and all of them cite different bios update files then the ones i've down loaded from gigabytes main site. The 1050 actually takes less power then the 660 so it's not a PS issue, i've tried both PCIE 16x slots to the same result.

Recent changes: Computer otherwise works fine except for a weird issue with warhammer TW which causes my screen to shut off but it's likely overheating as my card dumps out enough heat to make me sweat. I live in hawaii so ambient temps are at normal overheating levels unless i run the AC or get water cooling.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64bit
System specs: intel i7-3820 @ 3.60, OC'd to 3.80. 8 gigs of ram. gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 MB. PS is 600w.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I've formatted a thumb drive(Fat32) and stuck the files from here(http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X79-UP4-rev-10#support-dl) on there but before i go to Qflash and boot i wanted to be drat sure i knew exactly what i was doing. First its a zip file with 3 files in it: autoexec, Efiflash, X79UP4.F7. Do i have everything i need? I read something about turning off hyperthreading but i don't know if that was for the @bios program that appears to no longer work. The computer works fine for everything else so i'm being cautious and patient because i'd rather not be forced to buy another computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Remove your overclock before updating the BIOS, there's no need to disable HT. After you update the BIOS it will probably reset your settings so you will need to go back into the BIOS and set everything up how you want.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Alereon posted:

Remove your overclock before updating the BIOS, there's no need to disable HT. After you update the BIOS it will probably reset your settings so you will need to go back into the BIOS and set everything up how you want.

It says @ 3.60 then 3.80 so i assumed it was overclocked to 3.80 or will there be a simple default setting? Also thanks haha this was giving me DOS flashbacks when i would destroy peoples computers with bad command lines.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Update: Q-flash says file size incorrect? Do i need to reflash the bios sequentially through all the updates or can i skip to the latest one?
Update: tried sequential installation but it says my q-flash is out of date. Currently on F2 tried updating to F4 and F7.

Arghy fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 4, 2017

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Aaaand its solved, found a version of @bios that worked then fretfully stared at it as it updated my bios then gave me a few scares like telling me my OS was missing. I'm too old for this poo poo i just wanna play video games in peace drat it.

Thanks for inspiring me to blunder through clicking OK when i had no idea what OK was going to do haha.

• Locked thread