Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
two days to vote starting NOW *gunshot*
This poll is closed.
The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin 12 37.50%
Republic of Wine by Mo Yan 8 25.00%
Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter 2 6.25%
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood 6 18.75%
The Giants by J.M. LeClezio 4 12.50%
Total: 23 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin

quote:

The Dispossessed takes place on twin planets: Urras, a lush world that supports a number of diverse nations, and Anarres, Urras' arid moon. Two centuries before the story begins, the followers of the anarchist philosopher Odo, seeking an alternative to the oppression and corruption of Urras, established a utopian society on Anarres. The Anarresti anarchists aren't the bomb-throwing, chaos-loving dissidents of popular imagination, but idealists who believe that most human ills grow from living under governments, and that the only just society is one based upon communal sharing, mutual tolerance, and voluntary cooperation. "To make a thief, make an owner," runs one Odonian aphorism; "to create crime, create laws." On Anarres there are no laws, no property, no governors, no nations, no money, no marriage, no police, no prisons. Even the language, deliberately created by the colony's first settlers, reflects anti-propertarian ideals: there are no possessive pronouns.

https://www.sfsite.com/01b/dis73.htm

https://twitter.com/jpbrammer/status/837377129071378433/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Republic of Wine by Mo Yan

quote:

Republic of Wine by Mo Yan - Mo Yan is a Chinese author and recipient of the Nobel Prize in Literature. This one I have read and it is my favorite of his. Follows a few narrative threads including a detective story and fictional letters to Mo Yan by a fellow author and fan, but is largely about corruption and bureaucracy using food and drink a metaphors for greed and excess. I highly recommend it, it is a little heftier at 350 pages but is a page turner IMO so it shouldn't be hard to get through.

Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter

quote:

Nights at the Circus is a novel by Angela Carter, first published in 1984 and that year's winner of the James Tait Black Memorial Prize for fiction. The novel focuses on the life and exploits of Sophie Fevvers, a woman who is – or so she would have people believe – a Cockney virgin, hatched from an egg laid by unknown parents and ready to develop fully fledged wings. At the time of the story, she has become a celebrated aerialiste, and she captivates the young journalist Jack Walser, who runs away with the circus and falls into a world that his journalistic exploits had not prepared him to encounter.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

quote:

The Handmaid's Tale (1985) is a work of speculative fiction[2] by Canadian author Margaret Atwood.[3][4] Set in a near-future New England, in a totalitarian theocracy which has overthrown the United States government, the dystopian novel explores themes of women in subjugation and the various means by which they gain agency. The novel's title echoes the component parts of Geoffrey Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales, which comprises a series of connected stories ("The Merchant's Tale", "The Parson's Tale", etc.).[5]

The Handmaid's Tale won the 1985 Governor General's Award and the first Arthur C. Clarke Award in 1987; it was also nominated for the 1986 Nebula Award, the 1986 Booker Prize, and the 1987 Prometheus Award. It has been adapted for the cinema, radio, opera, and stage. The Handmaid's Tale has never gone out of print since its first publication in 1985.

Now a Hulu Miniseries!

The Giants by J.M. LeClezio

A human heart posted:

Because it's really cool and not many people read Le Clezio even though he got the nobel a few years back and it has sentences like this

quote:

It is not the men who are in command of the bulldozers. It is the bulldozer who invented men, and then, since they failed to interest it, obliterated them with its muscular arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

selfish vote on Margaret Atwood. I have it in my shelf but haven't read it yet

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Voting for LeGuin (have read some of her other stuff long ago but never this one, but always kinda wanted to), Mo Yan (which sounds intriguing) and Atwood (which I've read way back when it was new-ish, I am old).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

What the heck apparently every possible copy of LeGuin is in use with a hold backup at my library. Hopefully one will become available by mid-month if it does win.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
EDIT: On second thought, I'm changing my vote to LeGuin.

rngd in the womb fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 4, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok leguin won thread goes up tomorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

In a surprise twist the book forum posters chose to read a science fiction book.

• Locked thread