Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Long story short, I set off from Gatwick and the person at the check in desk neglected to put a tag on my bag before sending it onto the conveyor (thus I'm 90% sure it can't have left Gatwick). It's been four days so far and nothing but calls from call centres in India going "we're still looking". Anyone have any tips for actually recovering a bag or getting reimbursed for the approximately £1300 worth of loss? There's also things in there that aren't really replaceable (shirts from bands that don't exist anymore) that meant a lot to me, silly as that may be, so anything that could help me recover this bag is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

In the middle of dealing with this poo poo myself.

For almost any airline you can track your luggage with this website: https://wtrweb.worldtracer.aero/WTR...FE-B87B9C388A40

Put the code from your baggage tag/receipt in the "file reference" field. I found that to be a lot more informative than talking airline reps. If you can get concrete info on the bag's location from this, you may be able to get them to reroute it.

As to getting a refund, that's the part I'm still dealing with - I got my luggage back after a week but had to buy a bunch of new clothes etc.because I was on the road working. The company I was travelling for filed a claim through their credit card company, who is now trying to refuse it and now they are in some sort of appeal process. Afraid I can't really offer any good news on this front, but they will definitely only reimburse you for the actual material value of whatever you have, not the sentimental value of some band shirt.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 12, 2017

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
I had a bag that got lost going from Ibiza to Paris on easyJet. I can assure you it was an unnecessarily painful experience. I did a ton of research expecting a lost bag outcome and did learn a few things in the process.
- From start to finish it was almost six months before I received a check.
- There is a set period of time that has to elapse before they will consider your bag officially lost and you can start the claim process. This is listed somewhere and I don't recall how long it was, but it seemed longer than it should have been.
- The compensation rates vary depending on whether its a domestic or international flight, so you'll want to know what your legal limit is based on your arrival/destination.
- The use a form of currency called "Special Drawing Rights" to calculate the amount you can get back. This can be converted to USD and is currently 1 SDR = $1.35 USD
- YMMV, but easyJet took literally two weeks to respond to every email I sent them. I think they were just hoping i'd give up.
- Your items will depreciated by the airline since they are "used". Take this into consideration when planning what was inside your bag. Figure about 30% depreciation.
- They will want receipts for most items you had, especially anything of significant value. Fortunately I keep a lot of receipts and was able to find most of the ones I needed.
- If they offered you some kind of daily allowance for needed personal items (usually ~$75/day for 3 days) this will be taken off of your final settlement if you used it.
- There is typically a rough estimate of what they will pay out based on weight. Dollars/lb of weight at time of check-in. Assuming they took the weight of your bag before misplacing it. This dollar amount should be documented somewhere, but is not hard set if you have receipts.

My recommendation is to get a rough idea of what your stuff was actually worth, find receipts for anything you can, find receipts for things that make up for the things you don't have receipts for, pad on an extra 30% worth of stuff, submit that as your claim and hopefully break even.

I wound up netting an extra $150-$200 over what my bag was worth by doing that.
Good luck!

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

bEatmstrJ posted:

I had a bag that got lost going from Ibiza to Paris on easyJet. I can assure you it was an unnecessarily painful experience. I did a ton of research expecting a lost bag outcome and did learn a few things in the process.
- From start to finish it was almost six months before I received a check.
- There is a set period of time that has to elapse before they will consider your bag officially lost and you can start the claim process. This is listed somewhere and I don't recall how long it was, but it seemed longer than it should have been.
- The compensation rates vary depending on whether its a domestic or international flight, so you'll want to know what your legal limit is based on your arrival/destination.
- The use a form of currency called "Special Drawing Rights" to calculate the amount you can get back. This can be converted to USD and is currently 1 SDR = $1.35 USD
- YMMV, but easyJet took literally two weeks to respond to every email I sent them. I think they were just hoping i'd give up.
- Your items will depreciated by the airline since they are "used". Take this into consideration when planning what was inside your bag. Figure about 30% depreciation.
- They will want receipts for most items you had, especially anything of significant value. Fortunately I keep a lot of receipts and was able to find most of the ones I needed.
- If they offered you some kind of daily allowance for needed personal items (usually ~$75/day for 3 days) this will be taken off of your final settlement if you used it.
- There is typically a rough estimate of what they will pay out based on weight. Dollars/lb of weight at time of check-in. Assuming they took the weight of your bag before misplacing it. This dollar amount should be documented somewhere, but is not hard set if you have receipts.

My recommendation is to get a rough idea of what your stuff was actually worth, find receipts for anything you can, find receipts for things that make up for the things you don't have receipts for, pad on an extra 30% worth of stuff, submit that as your claim and hopefully break even.

I wound up netting an extra $150-$200 over what my bag was worth by doing that.
Good luck!

Thanks for that, god this is gonna be a ball ache.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Thanks for that, god this is gonna be a ball ache.

Please be aware that it all varies airline by airline and also country by country. So how long it takes for it to be 'lost' depends on the airline. Carriers are supposed to have a clearly stated statement of all that information and should at least be available by telephone. Getting anybody to pay anything back tends to be like pulling teeth but if it's lost then you're entitled to it. Incidentals are determined by the airline as well I believe but I could be wrong about it. I think at maximum the airline is liable for about 1200 Euros if the bag is gone forever.

The link Earwicker posted may or may not be helpful depending on the airline as well. Depending on how well integrated the airline is with World Tracer (the program that link runs on) it might may be super helpful or not at all.

Just to see if I can help you out, did they: ask you for a more detailed description of the bag or more contents inside of it? Contents are a big factor in what helps them locate things. Also does your carrier fly from that station often? If it's a place they only go once or twice a week, that's going to slow them down because they'll only look when they're in. If they're there everyday then, people being there is not an issue.

Some tips for next time though:

Place identification and contact information somewhere on the inside of the bag where it'd be accessible. I'm not big on locking my bag (if you're using a zipper anywhere, a lock is basically useless), so I usually leave a piece of paper flat on top with my itinerary and contact information on it.

When a luggage tag is printed out, it normally prints a 'claim' (a big stub for you to keep) and then a few smaller stickers with a barcode and baggage number on them called 'ticks'. Take one of the ticks and stick it to your bag on the outside. Sounds like you didn't get a chance but in the future you can ask the agent to do that for you.

Have a good idea of what you've packed because contents are what turn a random black roller bag into YOUR black roller bag. The more detail, usually the better.

It also helps to correctly identify what your bag falls under according to the IATA baggage chart (if your carrier is IATA compliant)

It's not a big deal, but if somebody thinks they're looking for a green duffel bag (25) versus a green backpack (29), it might change the outcome. Most suitcases fall under the 22 variety.

Testikles fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 15, 2017

• Locked thread