Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Elama-Kasvuu

The Great Mother is feeling pretty smug. Her little spat with Asher worked out well, and hopefully he'll know not to interfere in her domain again. The crusade in her name is making progress, she's pretty sure - she's not really paying attention, but they seem happy, so good for them. Her more monstrous followers are multiplying, and the Sporks... she might have overdone it with them, to be sure, but she's sure they'll adapt. If they don't, well, they know how to pray.

So what else might be going on out there?

Oh. Oh dear, there's trouble over by Lantis again. Of course there is; there's always trouble over by Lantis. Marduk and Huatanora - odd compatriots these - seem to have matters in hand for the moment countering Wallastra's hissy fit. Mind you, she doesn't particularly care one way or the other whether or not Lantis sinks - or re-sinks, she supposes - but her general inclination is to support life over catastrophe, so her sympathies lie with the younger gods. Just... not strongly enough for her to actually do anything yet.

Instead of taking any major earth-shaking actions, then, Elama-Kasvuu decides to spend the next little while taking care of smaller, more minor activities; answering the prayer of a faithful shepherd who needs his herds to increase, finding some particularly virtuous farmers and blessing their crops, ensuring a healthy birth or three, helping a poor craftsman win the heart of a lady above his station, that kind of thing. It's the little things that give the mortals reason to worship, after all.

No major action yet this round, though I reserve the right to change my mind in response to other Gods' activities. Just a few assorted blessings of Fecundity [+4], Beauty [+2], and Lust [+2] throughout the world, upholding her Godly duties (and making sure that people have reason to love her, as her Vanity [-2] demands).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Asher

The drum pounded in the minds of the soldiers. Even in sleep the beat tormented them, demanding they push onward, to cast aside their exhaustion and fear. To kill and conquer without hesitation. To bring glory to Mother Elama and to feed the Beast.

Likewise, no major action. Asher is continuing his vigil over this army and his domains, with Endings [+4] ascendant. He wishes to see this campaign begin in earnest and is striving to hasten the end of the journey. Yet, his Hunger [-4] is growing, infecting the minds of those around him.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Foltz the Patient

Oh.

Oh, Oneiro's meddling had been an attack, as he had first expected. Oh, his own actions - his inactions - had allowed his people to perish under the thrall of the fiendish drugs. For a flickering moment, Foltz felt something like shame.

But only for a moment! He held his head high and descended unto his people in Paxull in the form of a flock of birds, alighting on the shoulders of those most faithful in his ideals. They looked at him, hope kindling in drug-blurred eyes, and he clucked at them. "Oh, my faithless children. These drugs, the plants, have brought you low. Are you not men? Are you not greater and wiser than the beasts of nature and the vegetation they tread upon? Gird yourselves against their effects, but do not flee from them. Accept them into yourselves, and make yourselves their master! There is goodness and wisdom in these flowers, in these leaves, and I empower you to extract them and turn them to your purposes!" The birds scattered, gathering milk of the poppy, the leaves of coca, and placed them in the outstretched hands of his followers. They would take this sacrament and disperse it, along with his words.

They would make this work, or they would perish in their weakness and he would find others. There would always be those who wished for peace, and they would find their way under his wings eventually.

Foltz is doubling down, Self-Righteously [-2] blaming his people for their weakness. He is insisting that they master these drugs, to take them into themselves and gradually increase their potency with a blessing of Adaptability [+4] - and just to make his point he's dropping all of his accrued BP into the act!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The immense turtle sighed. It's never pleasant to say no to family, especially when, by all rights, she really did owe them. But this was important; this had the potential to turn Lantis, that place of rot and shame, into something beautiful, something unlike anything this world had known before. She could see it in her mind's eyes; a beautiful undersea community, sprawling and curious, exploring the wonders and resources of the deep; life where once there was death, children whre once there-

She shook her head and interrupted that line of thought. Humming a little tune, she asked the waves to go down, down, as deep as they could, to check on the inhabitants of Lantis and to report wheter or not her enchantment had the desired effect.

I'm not sure if checking on Lantis requires a roll, but if it does, I'll use Sea +2.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Oneiro, the dreamer

Oneiro looked at Paxull and smiled. Finally something had broken the boring peace reigning in the monastery for far too long now.

Time for the second part of the plan, now that drugs had become an integral part of the lives of most of the residents, it was time to stem the flow. No need to cut all exports from Tel Shirath, just a bit to create some much needed scarcity that should render things even more interesting.

Withdrawal is a bitch, gonna try and reduce the amount of drugs coming into Paxull and push the inhabitants to extreme acts of violence and stupidity with Hopelesness [+2] and Desperation [+2]

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Alysidor
BP: 1

"Foolish brother", said Alysidor, his voice grating through aether and the halls of Lantis, "I am not surprised by you gifting mortals with powers they cannot handle nor comprehend, yet, this is by far one of your most ill-conceived endeavors. The powers present here are vile, and not to be used even by the gods. They must be sealed away forever, and never be allowed to seep to the surface from this festering wound on our realm. Yet you would attempt to give mortal hubris access to such powers."

Alysidor pulled the chain of Castigation taut.

"I disallow you, brother. With hook and chain and barred gate of the aether, I shall chain and lock these energies away from the use of mortals, and indeed, any one of them that should try to break the seals and harness the energies, shall be flailed to ribbons. Such is my decree."

OOC: Bindings [+4] to oppose Marduk and keep the creepy void powers away from mortals. Also, just a reminded for whoever is in charge here to perhaps allow my action and disallow his for those sweet action bonuses. Unless you WANT the mortals at Lantis to become even more Cthulhu that is :v:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Lantis remained the epicentre of deific conflict, as Marduk tried to inspire the recently-stabilised probably-still-mortals to tap into the dark and eldritch powers locked in that fell place and become something both less and more than they presently were. Alysidor, understanding all too well the perils and pitfalls of succumbing to such inimical power, tried to enchain his sibling and constrain the energies of the deeps. He was almost successful, too, but the energies of Lantis are pernicious and pervasive. He was able to keep them from most but not all: Some obeyed the words of the unworshipped one, and began their malignant transformation anew...

Marduk just edges out Alysidor in a very close contest, aided by the nature of Lantis itself. Alysidor keeps this from becoming a widespread contagion across all the unfortunates in Lantis.

Huatanora watched, sent the waves to see what effect her earlier efforts had had. In most cases, they were holding: The entities Burb'l had brought there were for the most part not worsening in body or mind, trying to take stock of what was going on. The exceptions were those whom Marduk had enjoined to embrace the change: Those ones were becoming larger, more monstrous in body and will, suffused with the horrific power of the Deep Darkness bubbling up through the fount of Lantis. Could those whose change hadbeen halted create the community she had dreamed? Would they ever get the chance?

Huatanora's prior actions were effective, but that good work may yet be undone. The situation remains in flux.

Elama-Kasvuu extended her hands across the realm, subtle blessings here and there, of love and lust and fecundity and beauty. The land prospers at her touch, harvests are fruitful, prayers are answered and adoration returns with each healthy birth, each bushel of wheat, each unlikely endeavour of the bedroom achieved. Ohhh, such bliss there is in a mandate performed!

Elama-Kasvuu successfully does her duties, strengthening faith in her and boosting prosperity across the land.

The crusading army gradually makes its way out of the mountains, but as with any military force, they march on their stomach, and right now they find themselves unexpectedly ravenous. They spread out to forage and glean (Fortunately crops are proving plentiful at this time), delaying their advance on Dalland for a short while.

Asher's hunger slows the crusade. Whilst they make good time out of the mountains and are poised to march along the river to Dalland, they are not yet at its gates. Asher gets +1 BP!

In the drug-raddled monastery of Paxull, Foltz, condemning his followers for their failure to master the illicit substances, compelled his followers to dose themselves highly until they became adapted to the effects, and thus no longer their subject. This plan had the rug pulled out from under it as the Twins saw to it that the flow from Tel Shirath became a trickle just as demand hit a divinely-driven spike. Demoralised and jonesing, the addicts of Paxull sank into despair, frantically praying to the Great Mother for a touch of fertility upon their homegrown crops.

Foltz expends 2 BP, but his self-righteousness undercuts his faithful where they needed support most, gaining 1 BP and failing to help his people adapt. Oneiro bests the patient once more.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Asher

Dimly, Asher was aware of Lantis and the chaos surrounding it. The power of the other gods clashing against one another was impossible to ignore. He was mildly amused to see it had nothing to do with the drider expedition...yet. He felt no real obligation to hurl himself into the matter. The seas and the ruins and the creatures within were not his domain. And Lantis itself was not fated to end. Not yet, and no matter how much certain individuals might desire it. It had a role to play, one that Asher was not privy to except that he understood on an instinctual level that it must remain.

Though he had no stake in the matter, Huatanora certainly exhibited such. And like Lord Nasav, he held her as one of the few he felt something like kinship towards. Casting a shard of his power outwards, a tiny water spider skated across the oceans towards the Guardian. In it's own spidery fashion, it made known to her the Beast watched. If she required his aid he would listen.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Wallastra

Despite Wallastra's best efforts to destroy Lantis, other gods opposed him in his rightful act. Other god stepping on his grand design was one thing, Wallastra will never act on another God's land without their express permission, and he respects this common courtesy in return but Lantis was his mistake, and these misguided siblings of his trying their hardest to preserve it was taxing his patience and his powers. There was only so much he could do when forces were arrayed against him and he didn't want to fight over this place.

"Damned fools! If you are so determined to see this wretched place stand then so be it, it's actions I will place firmly as your responsibility. But I will not allow it full and unrestricted access to the lands beyond it's shores. Agree that we bind this place for the foreseeable future, and we will see if your misguided mission of mercy will succeed or not."

Wallastra extends a begrudging branch of peace so we aren't stuck going 'I destroy Lantis' and 'I prevent Lantis' destruction' in a cycle until one of us loses. He will leave Lantis and it's inhabitants alone for the moment, but in return he wants it hidden quarantined from the world at large. If accepted, he will use Grand Design [+4], along with any assistance from other Gods to cordon off Lantis from the outside world.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Huatanora
She took a deep breath. She had given her word; she couldn't back down now, especially not after what she said to her relatives. She looked at the violent inhabitants of the underground city, already twisting and growing bulbous and fish-headed under the unclean influences of Lanis. When they started assaulting other Lanisians

She sighed. For the good of Lantis, for the people that still weren't infected, she had to.

Down in Lantis, some of the infected folks started to feel the immense pressure of the ocean upon them, crushing their bones until they were mere splatters against the white walls of the city. Other found themselves assaulted by sharks, octopi , dolphins and other marine animals; yet other were caught by strong currents and dragged away, never to be seen again.

"Marduk." She sang, her voice like a gathering storm. "Listen to me, please. Your mistake has cost these folks their life; for I could not allow them to act unchecked within Lantis, and spread destruction and infection whererever they would. What do you have to say for yourself?"

OOC: I am going to use Sea +2 to destroy the infected Lantians, keeping the others safe, though. Since I'm doing this to protect the non-infected Lantians and, more long-term, from the wrath of my fellow gods, I would like to use Protection +4

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Alysidor
BP: 1

Alysidor watched the doings of the Pantheon, his expression grim, as it was wont to be. Eventually, he nodded. "I see then that sense prevails in the conflict. I see then that the rest of you finally wake to Marduk and his vile influence." Chains chafe, the aether stirs, as Alysidor speaks his decree. "Lantis may yet live, by the mercy of Huatanora. But it must do so bound to the bottom, its foul stench never to corrupt the airs above. Perhaps some may be permitted to leave it, should they be completely free of its taint by some miracle, but even the tiniest shred of its corruption I shall not permit to leave." And so, as he tried to bar the energies themselves, now Alysidor sought to bind the city. Gates wrought by godly hands, and chains of aether wrapped and locked the city to the depths, as was Wallastra's decree. A single lock binding it all together, that yielded only to the touch of those free of any and all corruption, was put in place as well.

On these bindings Alysidor worked in grim silence, until finally gazing upon it and seeing it was good. Then, his eye turned on those who had heeded Marduk's song, his glare alone seething enough to melt mortal flesh from mortal bone. "As for you", his voice boomed, "I have warned you once before. And I do not warn twice. Those among you that have heeded the words of the tempter over my warnings shall pay the price."

And so, the transformed, the infected, were assaulted by hooks and flails as ugly and gnarled as their own forms, not just their bodies but their very tainted souls ripped to utter shreds in plain sight. A reminder of the chainsmith's anger for all to see, for all to remember.

OOC: Doing two things here! Bindings [+4] to help Wallastra by binding Lantis with hook and chain to the bottom, locking it away from the rest of the World for the time being. Punishment [+4] to help out Huatanora destroy the infected by bringing down Castigation on those who ignored his orders and warnings and were tempted by Marduk.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Foltz the Patient

Paxull disappointed him, once again. His People, his Patient, had become less than husks of themselves. They hadn't listened, they hadn't believed, and now they'd lost the war in their minds and bodies against plants of all things. Oneiro had defeated his people, and it stung.

But defeat was never the end, it was merely a transition. Alright, Paxull. The once clean and quiet streets of the monastery town were littered with waste - both human and otherwise - and recumbent figures slouched against the sides of buildings. Beggars, a common occurrence in Paxull at the best of times, were more open now, open fierce. He clucked his tongue in irritation as he saw a few actual muggings, for heaven's sake. His Patient had grown far too impatient for his liking. They would have to be let go, unfortunately. He silenced their prayers in his mind, fervent inquiries for more drugs wholly pointless in the pursuit of enlightenment. He would narrow his scope, finding the few who had clung to the old ways despite this squalor around them. Paxull would have to be built on their backs, whether here or - if need be - elsewhere.

He spoke into their minds as they frowned down at their fellows, in some cases shivering with withdrawal themselves. "Paxull is lost, but peace is eternal. Gather your things and go. Wander, find someplace else to settle. In time, you may return, or your children may, but these people that were your neighbours? They lost the faith, and they lost themselves. Pity them, but leave."

Foltz is counselling his people to abandon Paxull to their excesses and to draw on their Resilience [+4] to survive out in the world. Mass exodus! Maybe don't bring the drugs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Elama-Kasvuu

The Great Mother isn't entirely invested in the kerfuffle happening over Lantis; keeping an eye on things, surely, but there's nothing making her anxious to intervene just yet.

Yet.

Still, there is something. Foltz might be something of an odd duck, but he is of her family, and he's trying something interesting. It's not often that a God would willingly abandon - and direct their followers to abandon - their place of power. If his people keep the faith and act as nomads, that could spread his influence pretty far... or dilute it to the point of irrelevancy. Either way, it will be interesting to see what happens. It will be even more interesting if she helps.

Well, 'helps.'

And so she focuses her energies, away from the strictly physical and into a more spiritual plane, and places a blessing upon those few followers of Foltz's who cleave steadfastly to his ways. Wanderlust is still a form of Lust [+2], after all, and those who wander must be dependent upon the bounty of the world around them; a blessing of Fecundity [+4] to the various fruit-bearing trees in their vicinity should help. Those who hold fast to Foltz's creed, should they wander the land, will find the land ready to feed them, so that they might never need to halt.

Finally, one of her servitors is summoned, to bear a message to Foltz; in elegant script (which cannot entirely distract from the rather... earthy... illustrations in the margins) it reads simply:

quote:

Foltz, dear,

I hope you don't mind, but I decided to give your followers a little something to encourage their travel and support them in their journeys. Do be a dear and ask them not to preach overmuch in Hedelmalisys, if you would? I suspect the goings-on in that city might not agree with them; my people's concerns are rather more urgent than those embraced by the Patient.

Regardless, I wish them and you good fortune. I do not understand your ways, dear boy, but you cause me far fewer headaches than some of your other siblings, and that deserves my love and support. Do let me know how it turns out.

Best Regards,
Your Mother, Elama-Kasvuu

OOC: Blessing Foltz's true followers as they abandon Paxull. Definitely not a way to try and dilute the worship of other Gods just to see what happens. Definitely not that at all.

• Locked thread