Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Kibayasu posted:

For how talk-y this game gets not having any dialogue at all during that boss fight with the dog was really... awkward? Like I expected something overly dramatic with a whole lot of "Don't worry about me!" or "I won't do it!" but instead it's just wordless animations and everything is over in less than 30 seconds. I guess I shouldn't complain but it's still weird to go the entire game in one style then switch over to another in what is supposed to be the most dramatic point.

There are a lot of unused dialogue in the game files that only really logically make sense when applied to that scene so I'm going to assume it was just cut for time constraints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Hey, folks! No new video quite yet, since I forgot how picky I can get about solo commentary and tried to stuff five days worth of work into just two. Instead, I've uploaded some old gimmick runs of mine for your viewing pleasure.

Blindfolded Dragon Valley

Blindfolded Relic Maze

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Episode B1: GalaxyTrail History

Alright! We're now in the ~history~ part of this LP, starting with a general overview of Strife's pre-FP games.

For the next three videos, I'll be covering Jade Phoenix, Super Ecksdee Panic, and Christmas Time Heroes in their own separate videos. If you'd like to try these games before seeing my commentary over them, you can grab them here: http://www.create-games.com/profile.asp?id=3481

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright
Greetings from the thread to the couch. This LP is great, looking forward to more once it's back from SGDQ!

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
I'm back from my uh, vacation!

Episode B2: Jade Phoenix

Strife's first big project was an action-platform game called Jade Phoenix. It was never finished, but even the released "beta" version of the game is chock full of content.

If you'd like to try Jade Phoenix for yourself, you can do so by grabbing it from here: http://www.create-games.com/download.asp?id=7856

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The camera really is one of those things you don't notice until it's not working right. Watching the camera move with (nearly) every movement the character makes at such a close distance was indeed pretty disorienting if it went on for longer than a few seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Episode B3: Super Ecksdee Panic

Somewhere around the time Strife started losing steam on Jade Phoenix, he decided to try his hand at a sort of personal 30-day "jam". The result of that is the surprisingly polished Super Ecksdee Panic.

If you wanna try Super Ecksdee Panic out, you can download it from The Daily Click: http://www.create-games.com/download.asp?id=8298

Kibayasu posted:

The camera really is one of those things you don't notice until it's not working right. Watching the camera move with (nearly) every movement the character makes at such a close distance was indeed pretty disorienting if it went on for longer than a few seconds.
Yeah, the best way to tell that your camera's working well is basically a test of how much you notice what it's doing, barring instances where the camera makes exaggerated movements for highlighting or style. For what it's worth, Strife learned his lesson pretty thoroughly, and the camera systems in his games following Jade Phoenix have been solid.

• Locked thread