Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

London 2017

For the last forty years the supernatural community in London has been in an uneasy cold war. Most of the major leaders are smart enough to see that if they try to take the whole city it will only leave them over extended and vulnerable so they sit on their more ambitious subordinates and keep the peace. All that may be about to change however as rumours running wild throughout the supernatural community claim that the lost notebooks of history’s greatest alchemist Sir Isaac Newton have been rediscovered. It is said that they contain the secrets of transmuting lead into gold, of curing any disease, of granting eternal youth and the reputed secrets contained within grow with each telling. Everyone in the city wants to get their hands on it. If not to use for themselves then to deny it to this or that rival. Looks like the wars might not stay cold for long….

You’ve been drawn into this mess for your own reasons. Perhaps you owe someone a big favour, perhaps you’re in it for the money or perhaps you see yourself as the one destined to rule these streets. Whatever your reasons life in the shadows is about to get messy for you and London won’t ever be the same again by the time you're done.

What This Is:

This is a Urban Shadows game. You pick a Archetype (class), and act out some Urban fantasy type stuff. If you feel like signing up, write up a brief description of your character (most people like to do these in first person, in-character), fill out you character sheet and post them both here. Once you’ve posted this, I’ll ask some questions to help get a feel for the character, before making final picks. I'm looking for around four to six characters.

Submissions will probably be open for about a week. If you can't have an app out by then, just let me know ahead of time and we should be able to work out an extension. I’m pretty much always in #swampthings on SYNIRC as Ferrosol, so if I'm not actually on but I'm still in there, feel free to either PM or just tag me with a question and I'll get back to you as soon as I get on.

Also because it’s easier for some things I have a discord server set up Here.

Along with your character application, and the questions included therein please tell me about :

-Who’s an important person from your faction?
-What’s one thing that your faction does better than everyone else?
-Who’s an important person locally outside of your faction?
-What’s an important part of town for your faction?
-What’s an interesting place in town?
-What's a good thread title? (Optional)

Reference Pictures are not required, but they'll help me remember your character better, so I'd recommend doing it.

FAQs and other Stuff

Fair warning this is my first attempt at running an Urban Shadows game so this may crash and burn horribly. I hope it won’t but I can’t make any promises.

Also although guns are available and the clued-in police tend to look the other way when they’re used on supernatural threats carrying openly may bring you the wrong kind of attention from “civilians” this isn’t America after all.

I’m willing to let people play fast and loose with London geography if they so choose and I’m not expecting you to memorise street maps or know that Peckham is south of the river and not north.

London is a cosmopolitan and international city so don't feel the need to restrict yourselves to just British people providing you have a plausible reason for being there characters can come from just about anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Michiko Fujikawa, the Aware

quote:

Who are you?

My name is Michiko Fujikawa, and there's... nothing really special about me. Let's see, I, uh, just started my first semester at UCL, I work part-time in a small bookshop called White Rose Books, I spend most of my free time reading, or watching horror movies, I currently live alone, and, uh... hm. What else was there? Oh, yes, and I've somehow managed to get myself involved in the world of the supernatural.

It's... a long story. Let's just say for now that I'm a girl who's currently way in over her head.

quote:

How long have you been in the city?

London is my home. My older sister and I were born and raised here when our parents moved into the city.

Like I said before, I'm living by myself now. My parents passed away when I was young, and my sister- Kaede, she... I'm still trying to find out what happened to her.

quote:

How did you learn about the supernatural?

It all started two years ago. Do you remember the incident in Piccadilly Circus, during that one foggy night, when all those people mysteriously disappeared without a trace? One of those people... was Kaede, my sister.

Kaede is- was the only family I had left, and I... I had to know what happened to her. The police were being no help, so I decided to find out what happened on my own. I spent weeks, months searching, following as many leads as I can.

During my search, I stumbled upon a world I had no business in knowing. A world where all the myths and legends you heard were true. A world where vampires, werewolves, demons, and unicorns really exist. A world... of the supernatural.

I... almost didn't believe it at first, but when I saw a man turn into a giant wold beast right in front of my very eyes, I... couldn't deny it anymore. It was all real. All of it, and now I've become a part of that world, whether I like it or not.

quote:

Why is this city worth saving?

I ask myself that same question everyday. Why do I keep doing this? Why do I keep involving myself in the affairs of beings more powerful than I am? I'm not... special. I'm not strong, I can't cast magic, I can't fly, heck, I can't even hold a gun properly. I'm only human, and if I ever cross the wrong person, then that's it for me. Most of these affairs don't even involve my sister's disappearance, and so why, then? Why do I keep risking my life for the people in this city?

And then I remember why; it's because someone has to do it. I can't... I can't ignore any of this, no matter how much I want to sometimes. I've learned too much, and I can't... I can't just willingly ignore everything that's happened around me. There are lives, real lives in danger, and I... I couldn't ignore that.

My sister... worked for the police, and she always had a strong sense of justice to her. She would always try to do the right thing, and she would always speak up whenever she thinks something is wrong, which got her into trouble sometimes. I think... some of that rubbed off on me, and that's why I do what I do. I'm not... I'm not as strong, or as capable as her, but I... I still try. I try to make sure that justice is done, just like she would.

quote:

What mystery are you currently looking into?

I'm still looking into the disappearances that happened two years ago. Most people would've given up by now, but I never did. I never stopped looking.

I've learned bits and pieces over the years, the biggest thing I've learned so far is that this isn't the first time something like this happened. The other time it happened was over a 100 years ago. There was a thick fog, just like that night, and when the fog cleared, people went missing, and, just like that night two years ago, nobody knew what happened to them. It's almost like... they disappeared from existence.

There's a rumor going around, of a man who fits the description of one of the people who disappeared 100 years ago showing up recently, and he claims to have forgotten who he was, and how he got here. It's not much, but this man, whoever he is, is my only lead for now.

quote:

Who’s an important person from your faction?

Have you ever wondered how none of this spread to the public? It's all because of Chief Superintendent Iris Faraday. She's in charge of a small squad who are tasked to deal with crimes of the supernatural variety, and to make sure the public doesn't find out about any of this. She's a tough old lady, but I suppose you need to be tough in her line of work.

quote:

What’s one thing that your faction does better than everyone else?

This... is going to sound really cheesy, but I really do believe that our greatest strength is our own humanity. God, I can't believe I actually said that. We're not as strong as the other factions, but we are determined, and we are clever. We have to be clever if we ever hope to deal with the threats that come our way.

No matter how stacked the odds may be against us, we always find a way. Always.

quote:

Who’s an important person locally outside of your faction?

Jamile is a werewolf who's been working with Chief Superintendent Faraday's squad. From what I understand, Jamile is the leader of a clan of werewolves, and they've been recently having trouble with vampires who are trying to take over their territory. When she heard about this, Chief Faraday struck up a deal with him; her squad would help him deal with the vampires, and in exchange, he, and his clan, would help her with her investigations, and help her deal with occult threats.

I've talked with Jamile a few times. He's... a little rough, and he can be a little hot-headed, but I can see his heart is in the right place. He reminds me a lot about my sister, in a way.

He's also kinda cute, but don't tell him I said that!

quote:

What’s an important part of town for your faction?

Believe it or not, but it's Westminster Abbey. Apparently, the abbey is considered as neutral ground, and violence is strictly prohibited while you're inside. It's where we meet and negotiate with the other factions.

quote:

What’s an interesting place in town?

There's, uh, this library. It doesn't have a name, and it... doesn't really have a set location either. The library is at a different place everyday, and finding it is... well, it's a giant pain, and entering it is a long, complicated, process. I've only been there once. The library is filled with old books and tomes that are practically centuries old, and you can find information about all sorts of things related to the occult and magic there. It's also really easy to get lost in, which... might have happened to me. I... really don't want to talk about it.

quote:

Name: Michiko Fujikawa
Look: female, asian, casual clothes
Demeanor: nervous

Stats:
Blood -1
Heart +1
Mind +2
Spirit +0

Factions:
Mortality +2
Night +0
Power +1
Wild -1

Moves:
Snoop: When you keep an eye out for trouble, roll with Mind. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 1. While you’re there, spend your hold to ask the MC questions, 1 for 1:
»» What’s my best way in/out?
»» Who or what here is not what they seem?
»» What happened here recently?
»» What here is the greatest danger to me?
»» Whose turf is this?
On a miss, you find yourself in over your head. The MC will tell you why this is a bad spot.

Did Your Homework: When you Put a Face to a Name with someone politically important (your call), roll with Mind instead of Faction. On a hit, you know a dangerous secret about them or their political machinations. On a 10+, you know how to leverage that information; take a Debt on them as well. On a miss, your snooping has already landed you in hot water with your target; they know you’ve been looking into their business.

I Brought Friends: When you Cash In a Debt with an NPC, add this option to the list:
»» Back you up in a dangerous situation

Gear:
A simple apartment.
A decent car.
A smart phone.
A Taser (stun-harm hand)

Drama Moves
Aware Corruption Move
When you ignore your mortal responsibilities to deal with the supernatural, mark corruption.

Intimacy Move
When you share a moment of intimacy—physical or emotional—with someone who is not mortal, mark corruption.

End Move
When you die, each character chooses whether your death inspires or corrupts a part of their being. If it inspires; they erase a Corruption Advance they have taken (if any). If it corrupts; they immediately take a Corruption Advance.

Debts:
- Someone told you their secrets and you haven’t told anyone about them yet. They owe you 2 Debts.
- Someone thinks they’re protecting you, but it’s really more like you’re protecting them. You owe each other a Debt.
- You’re leveraging dirt you have on someone to get their help with something. You owe them a Debt.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 28, 2017

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

A young woman opens the door, just before you knock. Her eyes focus in on you for a moment, then drift away as she greets you. As you walk in, she happily chats, "Come in, I've been expecting you. Tea, yes? The kettle is just boiling. The biscuits are on the table, I'll be right there. Red chair, if you don't mind, it's an awful mess if you sit on the blue one. Milk? ...Ah, no, of course. You don't take it that way. Not any more. Reminds you too much of her. My apologies. Please, take a seat."

She bustles around in the kitchen for a moment, then returns with a pair of cups.

quote:

Who are you?

"I'm Ariana Rees. I'm in my second year at UCL. I'm in information studies, was thinking of being a librarian." She points to a packed shelf full of ancient books. "As you can see, I've got a bit of a collection myself. Always did enjoy books. They're so much easier than people. You're really quite exhausting to talk to." She grimaces and rubs her temples. "Sorry, sorry. I mean people. You and everyone else. I can't stop hearing things, you know? Snatches of conversations, thoughts and feelings, secrets, so many secrets..." She looks at you in alarm. "No need for that, your secrets are safe with me. In any case, I'm what they call an Oracle. Not too much like that lady from Delphi, but same general concept. She was all about channeling the divine. I'm more of an aggregator. Kind of like what Google does, I guess, but with thoughts and feelings of humanity."

quote:

"London? A fair few years now. Seven, I think? It's been about that long since my dear parents took a permanent vacation and left me a ward of the state. We're from Wales, originally. Swansea. I didn't always have the visions. They started later. I must have been about 13." Ariana sighs. "I don't blame them, really. It couldn't have been easy. I don't remember sleeping much in those days. So much information just flooding through me. I didn't know what to make of it all. I thought I was losing it."

"Well, things ended up working out. The stuffy old fools who fancy themselves the Royal Magicians Advisory Society — everyone I know just calls 'em Arr-Mass — keeps eyes out for cases like mine. Wild talents blooming. They do some good, I'm not going to deny it, even if they are a bunch of hide-bound idiots too blind to see what's coming for them. I must have heard their line about being the Merlin to a new age a hundred times." Ariana shakes her head. "I don't know about that, but they did save me. I just hope they wisen up before things get too dire."

quote:

How do you cope with the visions?

Ariana leans forward and carefully examines your face, "Cats. I keep at least a dozen in my flat. They're in my room right now, most of them are pretty shy. The rest are territorial." She leans back, offended. "I'm serious! It helps. I can't explain why, you'd need a real wizard for that, but it's like they dampen—" She gestures at her head. "—everything that's coming in. One or two help a bit, but once you get a bunch all close together? It's so much easier to think."

She fidgets for a moment, then adds, "And I like cats."

quote:

What are the nightmares like?

Ariana's eyes grow distant, "Terrible. They're terrible. All fire and blood. Pain. If my visions are the aggregation of humanity's thoughts, then the nightmares are their fears. I haven't had them lately, what with the cats, but I can feel it coming. Hints, even through the filter. There's something big. Something really, really bad is going to happen. And like it or not, it's going to find me."

She looks back at you, eyes fully focused, and adds, "I plan to be ready."

quote:

What do you desperately need?

Ariana laughs. It's a bitter laugh, half-despair and half-hopelessness. "A miracle? Let me tell you this. Last time I felt something even a little like this, the Hunt carved a bloody path through downtown. They played it off as a terrorist attack, but we all know better." She stops laughing, breathes in deeply, and looks back at you. "You're serious? Well, I'm going to need some real muscle. Someone with guns. Someone with magic. All sorts of connections. And, most of all, I'm going to need to figure out what, exactly, is going to happen and when. If I can get that, maybe I can stop London from burning. Maybe."

quote:

"They call him — more of an it at this point, I suppose — The Arbiter. RMAS didn't land on the top of the magical heap by accident, you know. For all their posh affectations, there's steel beneath that velvet glove. The Arbiter enforces their whims. I've never seen it in action personally. But the stories? They're horrifying. I've heard that the last time the druids tried to reclaim London it waded through their ranks like a scythe through wheat. It didn't just leave bodies, though, it left them empty. No magic, no soul. I don't know what it does with them. I hope I never find out." Ariana shudders.

"The word, as far as anyone wants to talk about it, is that it used to be a wizard. A real hot-shot. He tapped straight into the Source and drank deep. Too deep. Would have been ripped apart by it all if it wasn't for the seals and bindings that the RMAS put on him in the aftermath." She leans forward. "It's curious, is it not? What would push someone to do that?" A small smile. "Perhaps the more pertinent question is who? I think you already suspect. You are quite bright, after all."

quote:

"If there is one truth in this world, it is that Power attracts power. The magic of man is different from the strange parasites and creatures of the Night or the terrible beauty of the Wild." She shrugs. "People like people that look like them. The wizards in the highest echelons may look a little nutty, but at least they're human. That's why they — we — have the tightest relationship with the mundane authorities. It can be hard to see where one stops and the other begins, at times. England does have a grand tradition of magical advisors, you know."

quote:

"I don't know which umbrella he falls under, but I'd say Hraefn is the first that comes to mind. He's definitely not human, pretty sure he's a tengu, but I don't hear of many of them in the UK. In any case, he runs one of the best shops around. I'm usually in the market for ancient grimoires and other books of prophecy, but he has all sorts of interesting objects. I'd imagine they aren't all exactly legal, but Hraefn is too useful for anyone to hassle."

quote:

"The Clock Tower, naturally. Big Ben. Why do you think that it is the only major landmark you can't go in and explore?" Ariana smiles. "That's where the RMAS hold court. Prime real estate, you know. It's right next to Parliament. Past that, I can't tell you much about it. I'm a little too loosely affiliated for their tastes, they don't exactly invite me into their sanctum."

quote:

"I like the gardens in Holland Park. It's not as busy as Hyde or Richmond, which is a plus, and the nature spirits there are quite pleasant to talk to. I'm pretty sure that they're authentic kami from Japan, but I haven't pried too hard. It seems a bit impolite, you know?" Ariana's smile deepens. "There's even a bakeneko that lives beneath the bridge. It does appear quite intimidating, but we've struck up something of a friendship over the last few months. If there is one area I have confidence in, it's befriending cats of all stripes. Even monsterous, murderous cat spirits."

quote:

What's a good thread title? (Optional)

[Urban Shadows] This is London Calling

The Oracle posted:

Name: Ariana Rees
Look: Female, Caucasian, Loose Clothing
Demeanor: Distant

Stats:
Blood +0
Heart -1
Mind +1
Spirit +2

Factions:
Mortality +1
Night -1
Power +1
Wild +1

Moves:
Foretellings: At the beginning of the session, roll with Spirit. On a 10+, hold 2. On a 7-9, hold 1. During the session, you can spend your hold to declare that something terrible is about to happen. You (and your allies) take +1 ongoing to avoid the impending disaster. On a miss, you foresee the death of someone important to you and take -1 to all rolls to prevent it.

Double Life: Take Mortality as a second Faction. When someone rolls with or marks your Faction, tell them which one is most appropriate.

Skim the Surface: When you touch someone, you can read their surface thoughts. Roll with Spirit. On a 10+, ask 3. On a 7–9, ask 1:
» What is your character thinking about right now?
» Who are you protecting?
» Why are you keeping secrets?
» What is your character’s hidden pain?
On a miss, you inflict 1-harm (ap) on them and yourself.

Gear:
A simple apartment.
A crappy car.
A cell phone.
Collection of tomes and grimoires.

Drama Moves:
Oracle Corruption Move
When you give someone a false prophecy, mark corruption.

Intimacy Move
When you share a moment of intimacy—physical or emotional—with another person, you gain a specific and clear vision about that person’s future. You can ask up to 3 questions about the vision; mark corruption for each.

End Move
When you die or retire your character, announce a proclamation upon the world that will reverberate in dreams worldwide. Detail the signs of its coming. The MC will make your prophecy come to pass, sooner rather than later.

Debts:
—Someone helps you understand your dreams and visions. You owe them 2 debts.
—You've had a dire prophecy about someone, but you don't know how to help them...yet. You owe them a debt.
—You are helping someone realize their true potential through your visions. They owe you a debt.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 27, 2017

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I may or may not app.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Emily Ainsworth, The Tainted

quote:

Who are you?

Emily Ainsworth. Hedge Fund Manager at Williams & Faust Investments. Well, at least, that’s the title I’ve been given. What we manage isn’t quite as monetary as people outside the know would imagine. Oh, and the one in charge isn't Williams or Faust. She likes to take a much less public role than most. She is quite the slave-driver and her accent drives me absolutely mad. Lilliana Valmont is her name. Well, the one she'll use out here. As you can imagine, true names are very important, and rarely shared. She's the head of the London office, and my boss.

quote:

My entire life, as it were. Not always in my current state, but yes, I was born here, raised here. Signed my employment contract as we call it officially. Less likely to scare the straights off if you don't mention selling your soul too loudly. I like it here. The penthouse helps, plus the Jaguar would be so hard to get to the Monaco office.

quote:

Who would you die for?

I would say no one, but that isn't true. Not to get too sentimental, but my sister didn't choose this life of mine. She's a schoolteacher, further north. She isn't involved in this. Not that it would stop anyone, but I did this myself. She deserves her life, safe and sound. The rest of my family would be a very distant second. You don't end up joining a hedge fund where souls are a prime commodity unless you grew up around the wrong sorts.

quote:

What is your daily release?

Depends on the day. The spa, classy bars, the finest clothes. They're all releases. I take care of myself the same way everyone else does, even if my schedule is usually filled with the boss' requests. But somewhere deep down, I'm still human. Human-like. I still like nice things.

quote:

Why else does one get into the business of soul-collecting? Power. Wealth. Control. This isn't for the faint of heart, and I wouldn't be involved unless I really wanted to be. What kind of question is that? I want to be the one with my own little fiefdom in both the financial world and the supernatural one. Otherwise, this all will have been for nothing, and I'll die in eternal damnation. You do understand that, right? It's like a secret society, only instead of leaving when you die, you just end up someone's brain-dead shell of a servant.

quote:

Outside of Lilliana? There's the other side of the coin, the one making sure Lilliana isn't the only one collecting at the top. The faeries, they have their own wants. Not so much for souls, but for children, for emotion, things like that. Locally, they've got a man.. I think he's a man at least.. By the name of Ati. He's part of the local faerie court, but he's very much into kidnapping people for whatever he needs them for. Doesn't play well with others, claims he has some sort of agreement with them all, but I doubt it. Sure, the faeries can't lie, but everyone can tell the truth in a convenient way.

quote:

If you want something, we can get it for you. It doesn't matter what it is, if it exists, we can get it for you. Prices are high, of course, but we do make sure we live up to our end of the deal. At the very least, to the letter of the deal.

quote:

Politically, there are few more important than Chief Superintendent Robert Smythe of the Met, at least to those in the know. There may be those with more pull directly than he has, but he's very good at making friends, in every circle of life. He believes in the peace, mostly because it means people breaking the peace owe him one to not turn it into a public issue. If the mundanes knew about half of what happened in this city, there would be a riot until the entire city was burned down.

quote:

The financial district, of course. Most of us make our living, as it were, as bankers, investors, financiers... Money can get you a lot of the way into the minds and hearts of a lot of people. Everyone can be tempted by something. Especially the building I work at, that we share with other like-minded members of those in the know. It looks the part of wealth very well, even if my side office doesn't have the best view.

quote:

There's a night market at the King's Cross station of the Underground. Well, the primary entrance is there, although the market itself is quite somewhere else. It's a security measure that no single door exists, but a moving series of portals and archways after the number of people die down in the later evening. It's run by a significantly diverse group, who've managed to create their own little slice of the world. If it can be sold, and follows the rules they set out, anything else is allowed. The rules are important to them: sell only what is yours, buy only with what you have, if you start a fight, they will end it for you. They have the muscle to do so.

quote:

London's Burning, if we're going simple.

The Tainted posted:

Name: Emily Ainsworth
Look: Female, Caucasian, Expensive Clothes
Demeanor: Corporate

Stats:
Blood +1
Heart +1
Mind -1
Spirit +1

Factions:
Mortality +1
Night -1
Power +1
Wild +1

Demonic Form:
Small spikes and a dark halo from her head, claws and leathery wings. Chitinous skin and empty eyes.

Demonic Jobs:
Collecting souls and brokering demonic contracts

Moves:
The Devil Inside: When you assume your demon form, roll with Blood. On a 10+, choose 2. On a 7-9, choose 1. On a miss, choose 1 and you owe your patron a Debt.
»» Gain armor+1
»» Heal 2-harm
»» Inflict +1 harm
»» +demonic weapon (3-harm hand or 2-harm close)
»» +demonic movement (flight, flaming motorcycle, etc.)
If you’re working a job for your patron, choose 1 more. If you mark corruption, choose 1 more.

Invocation: You may Cash in a Debt with someone to appear in their presence. Others may Cash in a Debt with you to have you appear as well.

Gear: Penthouse apartment, Red Jaguar F-Type, a smart phone, a rapier (3-harm hand messy)

Debts:
»» You’re protecting someone from a dark power. They owe you 2 Debts.
»» Someone is trying to save you and keeps suffering for it. You owe them 2 Debts.
»» You have a demon patron who holds the contract for your soul. You owe them 3 Debts. (Lilliana Valmonte)

Drama Moves:

Corruption Move: When you persuade someone on your patron’s behalf, mark corruption.

Intimacy Move: When you share a moment of intimacy— physical or emotional— with another person, they give you a Debt they hold on someone else.

End Move: When you die, cash in all the Debts your patron owes you to come back. If you have none, your patron will ask someone else to pay the Debt for you. If they refuse, time’s up. It’s been a good run.

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 25, 2017

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Interest post. Might make a Wizard, might make a Tainted, might make a Spectre

ACTUALLY MAKING A WOLF
- - -

Mr Aldrich Knight - The Werewolf

quote:

Who are you?

quote:

quote:

What is the best part of the change?

quote:

Who is the most important person in your territory?

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Name: Mr Aldrich Night
Look: Male, White, Dark Clothing
Demeanor: Aggressive

Stats
Blood 2
Heart -1
Mind 0
Spirit 1

Factions
Mortality 1
Night 1
Power -1
Wild 1

THE TRANSFORMATION
By default, you change into your wolf form when the full moon rises; you gain natural weaponry (2-harm) and 1-armor; you can resist the change, but it’s not easy; and you can only change back at sunrise.
- You transform every night, not just during the full moon
- You gain +1 armour while transformed

- Silver weapons ignore your armour
- The transformation takes a while and causes you a lot of pain

YOUR TERRITORY
You’ve claimed an area of the city as your own. By default, your territory covers a city block or two and has the trouble: +crime.
- You are widely accepted as this place’s protector (add blessing: +supported)
- Your territory includes grounds for you to roam and hunt (add blessing: +hunting ground)

- You have offered protection within your territory to someone, and now their problems are yours (add trouble: +fealty)
- Your territory is plagued by a mystical or supernatural presence (add trouble: +haunted)

Moves

Comes with the Territory:
If you are actively patrolling your territory at the start of the session, roll with Blood. On a 10+, your territory is secure and trouble is at a minimum; take +1 ongoing to Hitting the Streets in your territory. On a 7-9, one of your troubles surfaces (your choice), but things are mostly stable. On a miss, or if you aren’t attending to your territory, things go south and your troubles are fast and furious.

Bloodhound:
When you hunt someone, roll with Blood. On a hit, you know exactly where to find them and can follow their scent until you do. On a 10+, take +1 forward against them. On a miss, someone unpleasant finds you first.

From the Brink:
You can exit your wolf form at will. When you do, roll with Spirit. On a hit, you change back. On a 7-9, take 1-harm or mark corruption. On a miss, you change but the transformation is incomplete, lengthy, or painful.

Gear

- A duffel bag with your personal belongings, a lovely cell phone
- Butterfly knife (2-harm hand concealable)
- Snubnosed revolver (2-harm close loud reload concealable)

Debts

»» Someone is hiding you from someone, or something, powerful. You owe them a Debt.

»» Someone hired you for a job and you hosed it up. You owe them 2 Debts.

»» Someone lives in your territory, benefiting from your protection. They owe you a Debt.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 23, 2017

Flamander
May 4, 2009
Amy Brooks, the Hunter

A young woman walks into the room. She grabs a desk chair, turning it with her feet until it faces her. She leaps, sitting on the chair, legs through the back. "Yo! What's up. So... what are you here for? Monsters after you? Or would ya just like to chat?" She quirks an eyebrow. "Right. Personal, got it." Taking off her favorite cat-themed cap, she dusts it off, and places it on the desk besides her with great care. "...so. What to talk about, then?"

She mulls it over, smacking her lips together. Suddenly, she stops. "Alright." She points at you. "You, ask the questions. Me, I'll answer them to the best of my ability."

quote:

Who are you?

She grins, with a knowing smile. "Starting with the basics, eh? As I said, I'll tell all. My name is Amy Brooks, worker at Brooks' Pharmacy. We're a small shop - to be honest, we don't get many customers... that is, except for the people hanging around the supernatural underbelly of London. When there's a magic illness, It's our job to try to fix it!" She smiles. "Of course, I'm not the one who comes up with the cures - that'd be my dad." Amy gestures with her hand. "You see, it's typically the job of the second-born of the family to do a different, more physical job. My job happens when people rack up too many debts to us without repaying... that's right." She smacks her fists together. "Debt collection." She thinks for a moment, before clicking her fingers. "In the greater scheme of things, you could even call me a monster hunter - and of course, since we don't get a lot of customers... we don't get a lot of jobs." Amy shrugs. "I go off hunting on my own anyways, though."

quote:

She blows at the wind, before answering. "All my life. Grew up here with my pop, and my two brothers... to be honest, there's nothin' much to say. It's your average suburban household, you know? Next question, please."

quote:

How did you become a hunter?

"Well... as I said. Family tradition. I'm doing it, my uncle did it before me, and my grandaunt before him." She looks at the ceiling. "There's an initiation ritual you have to go through - but you're typically accompanied by the collector in the generation before you. It ain't a big deal. Monster hunting on my own was the natural next step." Amy nods her head in self-agreement. "Apparently, there's a lot of creatures out there that need putting down, and my younger brother, Keith, suggested the idea to me... he's been reading too many comics." Amy rolls her eyes. "Strange thing is... he's right. All those creatures are real... and they do need putting down."

quote:

What do you hunt, primarily?

"Things." She gains a confused look on her face. "They're like shadows, okay? Wraiths... that's what I like to call them." Amy stares at you, leaning in, with a piercing gaze. "It's crazy, my dude. Man. It's freaky in a way. They're human... except not... they're hard to memorize." She settles back down. "Honestly... I don't like fighting them, not one bit. Someone has to do it though, I guess. No one's shown up so far on my end, so..." She sighs. "I can't complain. I've just gotta do my best."

quote:

What are their strengths and weaknesses?

"Here's the thing about Wraiths. They aren't just... like one person, ya know? Being a Wraith is like a state of mind - it slowly takes over more and more of you." Amy says with a grim look on her face. "That is... until you turn into a wraith completely. Then, obviously, there's none of your soul left... just raw wraith." A sad smile replaces her expression in short time, though. "The lucky part about Wraiths... is that they're like a drug. You just gotta ignore it. Replace it with somethin' else, ya know? There are wraiths everywhere in life, you know, skeletons in everyone's closet. You've just not gotta acknowledge them."

quote:

What terrible thing have you done to yourself to help even the playing field?

"Hmmmm... let me think." Amy places her hand on her cap for a moment, replacing it on her head. "Probably that magical tattoo set. Doesn't actually DO much, but it at least 'enhances kinetic impact.' Whatever that means." She quietly whispers, "Should not have fell for that fake artifact salesman..."

quote:

How are you like them?

"...Congratulations. Now you've done it. I was hoping to avoid this line of questioning, but..." Amy sighs as she gains a deadpan look. "Well, okay, I got half a minute left to explain this, alright..!" Her expression becomes more panicked. "Some Wraiths can overtake their hosts for a period of time, forcefully. It's only when they are relatively close to being mentioned however... and done." Amy's eyes go white, and two blue irises are slotted into them. Amy's voice sounds somewhat grizzly as this new personality continues. "Hello there! You can call me Sphinx - for lack of a better name to put me under. I enjoy fried eggs, sunbaths; and exterminating the puny, weak, HUMANS THAT MAKE UP THI-" Amy regains full consciousness. "-and I am cutting you off THERE! No more for you. So yeah. That was my Wraith. Don't worry about talking about him for a while longer - he should be a bit cowed at the moment, knowing him."

quote:

Amy coughs before placing her hands in her lap. She turns to face you, smiling. "First person I think of is my big bro! Stephen Brooks, heir to the Brooks family business, so dad says. As you can see, the fashion sense runs in the family. He's a little short-tempered... but that's because he's got all these expectations put on him." She points at you. "So don't blame him!" Amy puts her hands back in her lap.

"His part of the business is learning to manufacture all of the treatments needed to treat supernatural diseases. That'd be stuff like... you know, there's a certain type of disorder vampires have. It makes them unable in intake blood. Stephen would probably come up with a few potions and injections to restart the systems... and if that didn't work, we as a company would advise our patient to seek..." She smiles. "other sources." Amy sighs. "Anyways. He's been like he is - stressed to the point of collapse, as far as I can remember. He's a good brother, and has given me advice on what to do in a lot of situations, but... all that stress has made him... a bit weird - to say the least. Eating ramen with peanut butter and jam while in a meeting with a patient..." She chuckled. "That's something I can actually remember him doing once. Weird, huh?"

quote:

"Probably the wide amount of things we know; I'd say." Amy tapped her forehead. "Sure, the others may know a lot about specific fields... but since we go all over, we get a little bit from all over! So I guess the best thing we do... is substituting out for others! Funny, that."

quote:

"Hnnnnnn... oh - there's this one guy that everyone's been raving about? His net name's Depthcharge..." Amy starts into an embarrassed smile. "...and no one's been able to figure out what his ACTUAL NAME IS. He never takes the drat diving suit off! Anyways, he goes around, looking for lost goods and returning them. This has gained him a lot of good will with the people of London." She looks upwards. "I wonder if he'll start making people pay to use his service soon? He's got to have caught on..."

quote:

"Well, obviously, there's Brooks Pharmacy, our workplace... but also, generally within the monster-hunting community... there's a little bar known as the Wolf's Head." She laughs, lightly. "Funny joke, right? Anyways, there's good food there, and wards to keep any wilder monsters from seeing it - although more intelligent ones could probably get in. Neat fact: The bar was said to founded by a monster hunter itself! Never looked it up... but it could be true." She got up, spinning the chair around and sitting back down, facing forward in her chair. "You never know."

quote:

Amy coughs. "So... it turns out that the London Eye is a place for particularly large spiritual gatherings! Who knew, right? I didn't, up until I went there on a pleasure trip. All sorts down there... poltergeists, specters, plain old ghosts... why wasn't Ghostbusters a true story, eh?" She cackles, somewhat pathetically. "So, yeah. Now, whenever I want to scare someone spiritually affluent and new to the city... I close their eyes - and take them to the Eye, and watch as we rise above a crowd of ghosts." She thinks for a while. "Oh, right, and there's this one ghost up top? Obsessed with luchador pro wrestling. Guess he must have died somewhat recently... he has wings. Not just tattooed on his chest, but literally."

quote:

[Urban Shadows] Break Life's Boundaries

quote:

Name: Amy Brooks
Look: Female, Caucasian, Casual Clothing
Demeanor: Friendly

Stats
Blood 1
Heart 1
Mind 1
Spirit -1

Factions

Mortality 1
Night 1
Power 0
Wild 0

Moves

Deadly: When you inflict harm, increase the harm by 1.

Slayer: When you keep your cool while on a hunt, roll with Blood instead of Spirit.

Prepared for Anything: You have a well-stocked armory, full of modern and ancient weapons. Take another custom weapon or add another add-on to each of your custom weapons.

Drama Moves

Hunter Corruption Move: When you injure a mortal while pursuing the supernatural, mark corruption.

Intimacy Move: When you share a moment of intimacy—physical or emotional—with another person, ask them a question; they must answer it honestly. They will ask you a question in return; answer it honestly or mark corruption.

End Move: When you die or retire your character, choose a character belonging to another player and give them one of your chosen Hunter moves. It’s theirs for keeps.

Gear

A lovely apartment.
Muscle car.
Cell phone.

Custom Weapons

Baseball Bat: Handle, Famed, Head, Bladed (3 harm, hand, reputation)
Brass Knuckles: Hidden, Handle, Cold Iron, Head (2 harm, hand, concealable, cold iron)
Pistol: Pistol, High-Powered, Silenced, Automatic (3 harm, autofire)

Debts
»» Someone has enlisted you to protect them from something very dangerous. They owe you a Debt.

»» Someone keeps you equipped and supplied. You owe them 2 Debts.

»» You consider someone a friend even though the friendship keeps bringing you trouble. They owe you a Debt.

Flamander fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 24, 2017

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Yuri Sasaki, the Spectre

Who are you?

Yuri Sasaki, an undead kicker of asses. Haha, just kidding. I'm a ghost and sometimes I can't actually kick an rear end.

My grandparents moved here, and opened up a restaurant that's still going. My parents, brother, and I have lived here all our lives.

Who do you still love?

My family. I kind of left them rather quickly and they don't know that I'm back. They're not really aware of all the supernatural poo poo that goes on here in good old London, so I like to hang around our home and make sure no one fucks with them.

What makes your afterlife worth living?

Even before this mess, seeing my family happy was nice. I kind of had a bit of a lovely relationship with them in life. Always running around and getting into trouble. I don't know if I would have changed had I lived, but I might as well use what I can do to help them out, right? Not like I really need money and poo poo.

A way to make sure this fight over Newton's dumb notebooks don't start affecting my family for one.

The other and more pressing matter is that my younger brother, ironically named Akira, is kind of a loving idiot. He's getting himself into trouble and while I could probably spook away any mundane assholes, he might be getting too close to getting involved with the supernatural side of this city. I need someone to help me watch this moron and keep him from getting hurt. Turns out that being incorporeal most of the time kind of gets in the way of me doing that by myself.

quote:

Look: Female, Asian, Everyday Clothing

Demeanor: Volatile

Stats: Blood 2, Heart 0, Mind -1, Spirit 1

Factions: Mortality 0, Night 1, Power 0, Wild 1

Gear

Whatever was on your person when you died, albeit spiritual versions of each:

Cell phone

Butterfly knife (2-harm hand concealable)

Wallet

Cigarettes/lighter

Moves

Manifest: Regular people can’t sense or interact with you unless you manifest. You manifest by spending a few quiet moments concentrating and choosing 2:
»» You can be heard
»» You can be seen
»» You can touch and be touched by the physical world
You may mark corruption to instead choose 1 or all 3.

Won’t Be Ignored: When you Get in the Way of someone of someone, treat your roll as a 10+ without rolling. If you Distract an NPC, roll with Spirit instead of Mind.

“Wall? What Wall?”: You always have an opening to Escape. You can choose an additional option off the list to bring someone with you. On a miss, you attract the attention of dangerous spirits and ghosts in the area.

Drama Moves

Spectre Corruption Move
When you witness a scene of victimization and do nothing, mark corruption.
Intimacy Move
When you share a moment of intimacy—physical or emotional—with another person, you hold 1. Whenever they get into trouble, you can spend your hold to be there.
End Move
When you fill up on harm, your corpus is scattered and dispersed. You’ll reform in a few days. When your spirit passes on permanently or you retire your character, any characters present gain +1 Spirit (max+3).

Debts
» Someone, or someone’s progenitor, was involved in your death. They owe you a Debt.
»» Someone is watching out for a family member of yours. You owe them 2 Debts.
»» You are haunting someone and they know it. You owe them a Debt.

quote:

The werewolf Kareem Abdullah is the leader of the werewolves that reside on the Isle of Dogs. Yeah I know, the name and the fact that they're werewolves is kind of ridiculous. But nobody really says anything about it. To their face at least.

quote:

Protection. Mortals might not be that great at it, Power doesn't really care most of the time, and the Wild will require vague promises or contracts you might regret later. But Night will always be straightforward with you.

quote:

Chip Williams, a wizard who specializes in protection spells. He's the one who gets called to ward neutral meeting areas against violence. You know, make them actually safe since often people don't really trust each other to be peaceful on their own.

quote:

The Night has control over Victoria Park. It's where a lot of deals and meetings between members of the Night take place. And they don't take kindly to people turning it into a violent battlefield...without a good reason. Of course, that "good reason" can kind of vary so if you get into a fight at Victoria, better hope the people coming to deal with you are sympathetic to your reasons.

quote:

Sasaki, the family restaurant, has kind of become a place where various supernaturals and people in the know go. Might be because I tend to have people meet me there if possible. I mean if I'm doing business, why not have them give my family some money? Anyway my family doesn't know that several of their customers are weirder then usual and I think it's best if it's kept that way.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 25, 2017

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Interest post.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Jim

quote:

Who are you
If you ask the court, im one of the disgraced. Those that you look down upon, those that have broken deals with the court lady. To others I am a protector, someone who fights against injustice when he sees it and yet to others I am a trickster and one who always sours any deal he makes.

To me, I'm just a regular guy that has been dealt an interesting set of cards in life. I'm just trying to survive and make sure everyone else does too.

quote:

I've been roaming the streets in this city for 53 years. Would of been 70 if not for the imprisonment.

quote:

What do you love most about humanity?

Humanity is interesting. Gotta root for the underdog right? Their insatiable lust for power and their determination to overcome any obstacles is something my kind could learn from.

quote:

Who is your closest confidante in the city?

I have an ongoing deal with a wizard, he provides me with some magical backup when i need it, or a safe place to hide some people I care for and I provide him answers. Some of his friends think its the start of his path to darkness but they couldn't magick their way out of a paper bag. He needs me just as much as I need him.

quote:

I need inspiration, something that drives humanity inspiration and drives. Right now the court is stagnant, Fae life is getting stagant. If this continues nothing will change.

quote:

Who's an important person from your faction
The lady of the court is the messenger and diplomatic contact between the many courts that lie in London. Think of her as part of the lynchpin that keeps the courts together. Pissing her off, or altering a deal wtih her can have some severe consequences, as i can attest to.

quote:

What's one thing your faction does better than everyone else
The faeries here do the best at keeping their part of a deal while also screwing you over. We have accumulated a lot of enemies over the past, but have enough deals going on that nobody has made any major moves against us yet.

quote:

Who's an important person locally outside of your faction?
Rapunzel Dawn, yeah I know quite the name, but she's one of the wizards. She seems to have a handle on everything magical in london and always seems to be at the right place in the wrong time to do the most good. Many a disaster has been averted because of her.

quote:

What's an interesting place in town

quote:

Name: Jim
Look: Male, Messy Clothing
Demeanor: Tired

Stat:
Blood: -1
Heart: 1
Mind: 1 (+1)
Spirit: 1

Factions
Mortality 1 (+1)
Night -1
Power 1
Wild 1

Gear
Nice house
Car
Smart Phone
Coin from the local court
A scale for coins (Symbol of court)

Debts:
Someone broke an important promise to you and swore they would make it up to you. They owe you 2 Debts.
You are keeping something hidden for someone. They owe you a Debt.
You entrusted someone with a dangerous task. Ask them if they succeeded or failed. If they succeeded, you owe them a Debt. If they failed, they owe you 2 Debts.

Moves
Faerie Magic: Whenever you use a faerie power, choose 1:
• Mark corruption
• You owe your monarch a Debt
• Suffer 1-harm (ap)

Wild Fury: You summon an element of nature capable of striking your enemies (2-harm close area or 3-harm close/far).
Nature’s Caress: Your touch heals 2-harm. You cannot use this power on yourself
Bedlam: Touch a target to place them in a specific emotional state (your choice). Mark corruption to have that emotion directed toward a target of your choosing.

Words Are Wind: When someone breaks a promise to you or lies to you and you find out, they owe you a Debt and you take +1 forward against them.
A Dish Best Served Now: When you commit to exact revenge on behalf of someone (including yourself), gain +1 to all rolls against the target of that vengeance. For every scene in which you do not pursue vengeance, suffer 1-harm (ap).

Edit: New book is out

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/206665/Dark-Streets

Exmond fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 22, 2017

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

If Dark Streets content is allowed I might whip up a Revenant

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

HerraS posted:

If Dark Streets content is allowed I might whip up a Revenant

Yeah go for it

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Dale Fitzroy, a Revenant

quote:

Who were you before your death?

Once, I thought I was one of the cool cats of London. My parents we're well off, at least by the standards of Thatcher's Britain. I was getting a degree at Oxbridge, or at least I would have if I hadn't spent most of my time enjoying the clubs that London had to offer. I was as carefree as a young man could be - until I met Marie.

I could tell from her looks and the slight accent that she had come to Britain from abroad, but it didn't matter to me. She had this enchanting presence to her and was usually the center of attention everywhere she went. We had a good thing going. Until she introduced me to one of her friends. His name was Marco or something like that, but as soon as I saw him I knew he was bad news. That's when I found out vampires are very real, and that's where Marie got her charms from. They had been lovers for a few decades and apparently Marie had taken a liking to me so much that they offered to make me into one of their ghouls. They told me it took a lot of guts to tell a vampire to gently caress off, but that might've just been the peyote talking. Anyway, turns out they weren't they kind of vampires who took a 'no' for an answer, and the last thing I remember is lying on the table in the basement of some seedy club ran by bloodsuckers while the lovebirds took turns sucking me dry.

I couldn't tell you much about the afterlife, or underworld as Edgar likes to call it, but that's where he offered me a chance at revenge. I don't know whether the underworld spirit who takes the form of a raven shares a name with some dead poet best known for quoting ravens by coincidence of if it's Edgar's idea of a joke, but he is a sort of companion and guide to me... at least when I'm trying to track down two vampires who very much value their privacy in today's London instead of getting sidetracked with all this supernatural crap that's apparently everywhere.

quote:

What do you remember of your old life?

The music, the smell of cheap cigarettes and alcohol, the sounds and sights of London by night. Of course the city's changed since I was counted among the living but I still get this familiar feel when walking the streets by night.

quote:

Who saw you rise from the grave?

Apparently people who get sucked dry don't have a tendency to come back from the dead, or otherwise I would've had a hell of a lot more dirt to dig my way through when Edgar sent me back. Didn't even have the courtesy to bury me in a graveyard, instead digging a ditch next to some train tracks outside of London and dumping me there. Lisa was pretty shook when I suddenly clawed my way out, but at least it shocked her enough to stop whatever suicidal plans she had that had led her to the train tracks in the middle of the night.

quote:

What symbol of your old life haunts you?

Sometimes I see flashes of a familiar face when walking around London. I can't remember exactly who the man is or was, though.

quote:

Who pulls you away from your vengeance?

I don't know why I keep looking after Lisa. Maybe it's because she's the only one in London who actually treats me as a person instead of an immortal hitman to be used. Or maybe it's because we're both alone.

quote:

I'm not sure if Oberon is really the local guide for lost spirits or just a fairy or a demon who acts big, but if you can pay his price he will get you in touch with people even London's best oracles would have a hard time to get a hold of.

quote:

Members of the Wild really enjoy bringing people together. Especially if those people had no idea they needed to be brought together in the first place.

quote:

From the few dealings I've had with the local werewolves I've heard there's this one really old fleabag called Victor who has sort of taken it upon himself to keep the rest of London's wolves in line. Never actually met the guy, though. Wouldn't be surprised to learn he doesn't even exist.

quote:

Turns out the Tower has a lot more significance than just as a tourist attraction. Edgar hasn't told me exactly why, but apparently it serves as some sort of supernatural prison for really bad spirits and other nonhuman things in London - if you get killed or whatever your metaphysical equivalent happens to be while inside the Tower, you can never leave. I don't know what specifically keeps those bastards in there, and I don't plan on finding out any time soon. You can meet a lot of infamous creeps wandering those halls, and a couple of them might even be willing to talk with you.

quote:

Look, just trust me when I say that visiting the British Museum at night without a proper guide can prove hazardous to your health.

quote:

Name: Dale Fitzroy
Look: Male, Street clothing
Demeanor: Distant

Stats:
Blood: 2
Heart: 1 (+1)
Mind: -2
Spirit: 1

Factions:
Mortality -2
Night 1
Power 1
Wild 2 (+1)

Gear
A remnant of death (a pack of cigarettes)
A magnum revolver (3-harm loud reload)
Handful of photographs and mementos from your old life

Debts:
Someone mourned your death, truly and deeply. You owe them a Debt. (Ariana, the Oracle)
Someone tried to get justice for your murder, but failed to lay your soul to rest. They owe you a Debt.
Someone has already come to rely on you and your powers. Ask them what unique need you fill. They owe you 2 Debts. (Emily, the Tainted)
Your daemon has carried you back from the land of the dead. You owe them 2 Debts.

Your Daemon
A daemon guided you back from the land of the dead and walks with you now among the living. The two of you are inseparable, and you are constantly aware of its presence.

They are: a raven named Edgar
They have: a patient voice

When your daemon stands with you in battle, take armor+1. Your daemon will only follow you in the pursuit of your caul or to fulfill a Debt.

Your Caul
The injustice of your demise has pulled you back to this world, allowing you to seek revenge on those who have done you wrong. List their names and how they wronged you:

Marie, who betrayed my love and sold me to Marco.
Marco, who sucked me dry.

Each of these people is marked by your caul, the force that has brought you back from the lands of the dead. While they live unpunished, you cannot die. You embody their fate: bloody doom called back to offer judgment for their crimes. When you punish one of them absolutely -however you see fit - strike their name from the list. Your daemon will tell you if the punishment is fitting; if it is, advance. If it isn’t, you owe your daemon a Debt.

When you ask your daemon to add someone who has wronged you to your caul, roll with Spirit. On a hit, your daemon acquiesces to your request. On a 10+, your daemon reveals how you might attack their vulnerabilities or weaknesses. On a miss, that person is beyond your reach; take -1 ongoing against them until you offer them forgiveness for the wrongs they have done to you.

When you cross out all the names in your caul, your connection to the land of the dead is severed. Your daemon returns to the spirit realm; you are no longer able to avoid the land of the dead if you are killed. You can lay your own soul to rest by returning your physical form to its final resting place.

Revenant Moves

Abashed the Devil Stood: when you openly present yourself to the agents of your enemies, roll with Spirit. On a hit, they choose:
• They scatter or flee before you
• They throw down their weapons and surrender
• They attack you, ignoring your allies
On a 10+, take armor+1 against them for the scene. On a miss, they reveal that you’ve sprung a trap laid by those who wish to avoid your judgment.

Vigilante: when you go into a battle, roll with Blood. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1 and take -1 forward. During the fight, you can spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
• Kill, disable, or disarm (your choice) an NPC within reach
• Redirect an attack within reach to another character within your reach, or else to nowhere—into the ground or a wall or the sky
• Cross the distance to any character outside of your reach before they have time to adjust or react
• Name a character within your reach; while you fight, you intercept any attack directed at them and they suffer no harm

Drama Moves

»Corruption Move
When you kill someone not marked by your caul, mark corruption.

»Intimacy Move
When you share a moment of intimacy—physical or emotional—with another person, ask them if you should be an agent of justice or vengeance. If they say justice, ask them how you could relieve the burdens they carry and take +1 ongoing to actions toward that end; if they say vengeance, mark corruption.

»End Move
When you fill up on harm, your body ceases to function, but you do not die. Anyone who views your corpse with supernatural senses knows that you still live and how to bring you back, e.g., sprinkling graveyard dirt on your body, performing a lost ritual, etc. Your daemon may attempt to enlist someone else to facilitate your return.

HerraS fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Apr 2, 2017

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

quote:

Who are you?
The name I was given is Victoria Levintane, and for much of my childhood I believed that's who I was, no more and no less. But as I entered womanhood, the dreams came; silent dreams of swimming through the darkest depths of the sea, listening and seeing all that transpired within my watery domain; emerging, occasionally, to showcase my might to the invaders from the dty world. That night, I was taught the secrets of the Levintane family that night, of our water-boiling, ship-devouring ancestor whom humanity feared and revered.

Yes, I am the Leviathan reborn.

It's been hard keeping my perspective after this. I remember devouring whole ships of screaming men... but I also know that a single man with a gun could easily kill me, in this reduced form. Mankind has grown in leaps and bounds since I dominated the Mediterranean Sea; this is a different age, and a different sort of strenght is needed. But I'll be up to the taks. Surely.

quote:

I've lived here all my life. In fact, our branch of the family has lived in London since 1797, from bankers and lawyers to major stocholders. I've had a pretty cloistered childhood; I've studied with private tutors, and played with the sprawling horde of cousins that visited us almost every day (It turns out that sea monsters are incredibly fertile). Mother was adamant that not even King's College was going to give me the sort of education I needed.

She used to say that when I was little, and it made all my uncles and aunts and even my dad shake their heads. It took me a long while to figure out why: there were never any signs indicating who the Leviathan was going to be, no prophecy to indicate when they would return. But Mom knew, somehow.

quote:

How do memories of your previous life manifest?
Dreams, mostly. In the weeks following my awakening I dreamt almost every night; but with time they subsisted, and nowadays I usually only dream about once a month.
I've also been taught a lot from my mother and aunts. The family has been stockpiling legends, secrets and resources while waiting for my rebirth; and even cadet members with only a drop of my protean blood in their veins have an instinctive grasp of basic magic that infuriates teh stuffy academics over at the Arr-Mass to no end.

quote:

What are your most painful memories from your last life?
As my old self grew older and battle-scarred from its many skirmishes with other sea monsters, humanity grew more numerous, more clever and bolder, oh so much bolder in their reinforced ships, too heavy for me to capsize and with cannons strong enough to breach my armored hide. It's a terrible feeling, being overcome by beings that should by all accounts be your inferior; can you imagine how you'd feel if you were so old and weak that pidgeons and alleycats were a serious menace? If you had to avoid large groups of them for fear of being pecked or scratched to death? The sting of that humiliation is probably the worst part of my dreams.

But I don't want you to think that I'm bitter about it, or want revenge like some corny 80s cartoon villain. They won that particular war fair and square, and to the victor go the spoils. But I was raised by in humanity's world, and I know how the world changed since my first go at it. They changed it to fit their needs and strenght, and as frustrated as I am with this new body sometimes, it's much more suited for the sort of wars humanity and its unseen symbiotes and parasites. That's evolution for you.

quote:

Right this moment? I need to put my name on the map. The rest of London is vaguely aware of the Levintane, but we've been too insular, too busy dealing with internal problems and rebel cadet branche. We're seen as blind, stolid old money, unaware of the greater machinations beyond our luxury apartment. We need to do something spectacular: a power grab, a claim on territory or resources, something that will remind London that we are still a force to be reckoned with.

quote:

Dr. Solomon Thobias Greyvault; he may not lead the historical John Dee Conservation Society, but he's their face when dealing with other organizations, probably because he looks like a university professor that will listen to your problems. The Society is interested in continuing the studies of the legenday 17th century magician, preserving his legacy and guarding the artifacts he left behind. Since John Dee is probably the greatest human magician in history since Merlin, access to his writings and instruments gives them a lot of weight to throw around, not to mention a veritable arsenal should they decide it's worth the risk of taking their precious relics outside their armored and enchanted vaults.

Dr. Greyvault himself isn't an unpleasant fellow, all things considered; but he's stodgy, hidebound and interested in keeping thigns the way they are. He might not react well to my plan of making waves.

quote:

The wheels of magic take a while to get moving; but once they do move, almost nothing's out of reach. If you can figure out the right star conjunction, decanic correspondence and maybe offer a sacrifice or two, you can do anything from wiping the memory of a whole crowd of people to teleporting a building on the other side of the city, or in the middle of the ocean if you're feeling needlessly cruel. No one else has the resources to accomplish quite so much.

quote:

She goes by Tamara. No surname, and she will accept no abbreviation of her name. She succeeded Red Al to the lead of the Wolves of Regent's Park, and under her care they've assimilated two other packs in just two months, with her territory expanding proportionally. Apparently she has the right balance of charisma, street savvy and the occasional bout of brutal, uncontrolled violence that appeals to werewolves, combined with the sort of tactical acumen that you see in succesful conquerors.
Her hold on her people isn't exactly stable - Red Al was a beloved leader, and had a much more conservative approach to territory extension- but her methods work, and so long as they do, no one is likely to challenge her position as alpha.

quote:

What's an important part of town for your faction?
The British Museum, of course; there are so many powerful relics in there, if you've got the right sense you can actually feel the vibration of magic in the air. Pretty much anyone with any authority that works there is either with one of the arcane organizations in town, a construct built by one of said authorities, or so deep in their pockets they might as well be constructs.
There are piles of paperwork to go through if you want to request use of one of the museum's relics, and you better have a good reason for it... or have friends amongst the museum stuff willing to bump you ahead of the line.

quote:

There's this art gallery you can find in a Westside slum. It's every two weeks and it changes location each time, to find it you have to find the hints in the graffiti. You have to indentify the right door and knock the right away, and only then you can access the Sanguine Gallery. The art in there! Paintings of surreal landscape, in vermillion and cherry and sharp rusty earthern colors; sculptures in wood and asphalt of werewolves halfway through their transformation; formal portraits of local powerful people, often loaded with symbolism.

There is the implication, between the name and the colors used, that at least some of the art here is made with literal blood. It's just an overdramatic way to get attention, though; it sure doesn't smell like blood in here. And come on, they wouldn't really draw blood from people just to make an artistic statement, would they?

quote:

What's a good thread title?

quote:

Victoria Levintane, the Dragon Sea Monster
Look: Female, Black, Formal Clothing, Brooding Demeanor

Stats Blood -1, Heart 0, Mind 2, Spirit 1

Factions Mortality -2, Night -1, Power +3, Wild +2

Gear: A downtown penthouse suite, a luxury car with driver, a cell phone, a crossbow (2-harm close far)

Debts:
Someone knows you betrayed them, but they don’t know the whole story. You
owe them a Debt.

A certain herb called newt's tongue only grows on the tomb of wizards. It's very hard to distinguish from common weeds, but it's a very useful ingredients for the preparation of potions. I have no idea how a lowlife like Moses Corduroy got its hands on this precious information, but the fact is that he constantly raided the tomb of a grandfather of a member of the Royal Magicians Advisory Society.

He was adequately punished for his disrespect. I mean, using someone's resting place like it was a blueberry patch. Completely out of line.

Apparently he was a big provider of the Brooks family, the pharmacists. In doing what was righteous, I accidentally compromised their safety. Always a shame when that happens, especially to someone who does such good work as that Amy girl. I'll pay her back sometime.

Someone stole something from you and it may never be returned. They owe you two Debts.
Speaking of people that do good work...that poor Michiko. I heard she had been tracking someone, someone who left behind a string of unexplicably confused testimonies. No traces of drugs on them, no reason they should be like this, no other leads. She sounded really desperate.

So I cracked. I told her about my Pressure, about the power of sea monsters to shatter the mind of their victims, so that at least she had an idea what she was up against. I guess the secret wasn't really "stolen" so much as given away too freely.

I've made it very clear to her that this must not become public knowledge. Not that I can do this, nor that...that apparenetly I'm not the only one of my fellow sea monsters that was born again.

Someone is keeping a friend or family member safe on your behalf. You owe them a Debt.
As much as Aunt Irene has acted out against me, I really don't want anything bad to happen to her. She's still family, and so are my adorable little cousins, Greta and Benjamin. So I asked that irkallu, Dale, to keep an eye on them. He's a capable fighter, and I don't want to entrust their safety to an hunter or werewolf. I'd rather trust someone with a bit more subtleness and diplomacy, someone who's not going to scare them off.

Moves:
-All Things Laid Open: When you Figure Someone Out, ask them to tell
you a question they wish you would not ask. You may add it to the list of
questions before you spend your hold.

-Old Things Dies Hard: At the beginning of the session, roll with Mind. On a
10+, hold 2. On a 7-9, hold 1. Spend your hold 1-for-1 to use a move from
another Archetype once. On a miss, lose access to one of your moves for this
session.

Soulmates:
There are four others born in this era who were dragons sea monsters like you once, whose fate is intertwined with yours. When you first meet someone, you or the MC may declare they are one of your soul mates, but not which one. When you share a moment of intimacy with a soul mate, the MC will reveal who they once were to you. Unlock the advance associated with them.
-Thalassa, my friend (Take a move from another archetype)
-Aspidochelone, my rival (Take a corruption advance)
-Iku-Turso, my lover (Advance 3 basic moves)
-Jörmungandr, my sibling (Erase a corruption advance)

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 31, 2017

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Questions

If I've missed anyone please let me know.

Ariana Rees the Oracle

Who refused to accept the visions you shared with them and tried to fight their fate? Did they succeed or did your visions still come to pass?

Who in the RMAS keeps trying to get you more deeply involved in the group and why do you keep refusing them?

Emily Ainsworth the Tainted

People sell their souls for all kinds of things, money power strength influence. What's been the weirdest request you've fufilled in exchange for someones soul?

Someone out there owed you a debt that you refused to collect on, Who was it and why wouldn't you collect upon it? What price did you have to pay for refusing to do so?

Amy Brooks the Hunter

One thing, Why a baseball bat? I'd assume something like a cricket bat would be more readily available and less... distinctly american is there some significance to it I'm missing?

There's a nasty monster who's owed a debt for a long time to your family. Both your uncle and your great aunt tried to collect from it and didn't manage but you have a plan don't you. Who or what is it and why do you think you'll succeed where they failed?

Yuri Sasaki, the Spectre

What's the one place you refuse to go since your death? What about it scares you?

While you were in the restaurant one of your family members almost recognised you. How did you throw them off the scent? Do you feel guilty about it?

Jim the Faerie

The city has changed a lot in the time you've been imprisoned. Which of the changes do you most approve of?

Who amongst the court tried to treat you as a failure? What did you do to show them that you're still someone not to be messed with?

Dale Fitzroy, a Revenant

You're not the only one the vampires have wronged. Who else have they pissed off and why did you refuse to work with them when they suggested you team up?

Have you ever thought about trying to track down what happened to the rest of your family or did you decide it's not worth the hassle?

Victoria Levintane the Dragon

Who amongst your family refused to accept that you were the Leviathan reborn? What did you do that demonstrated your power to them? How did they respond?

What do you miss most from your original form? What do you enjoy the most about your current one?

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 25, 2017

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

quote:

You're not the only one the vampires have wronged. Who else have they pissed off and why did you refuse to work with them when they suggested you team up?

It would be easier to make a list of people who's toes those two hadn't stepped on, but the one I'm most familiar with is Tanya. She runs a sort of underground network for all kinds of otherworldly artifacts and equipment on behalf of her demon patron, and Maria and Marco managed to stumble upon a stash or two of hers and killed a lot of good men in the process. I could have worked together with her in hunting them down if it wasn't for two problems: she wanted to call the shots, and her sponsor from hell wanted them alive. Now I can stomach working with an underworld spirit who lets me do things as I see fit, but me working under someone who sold their soul to a demon is not happening. Plus the whole 'let the bastards who you came back from the grave to get revenge on get away once you find them' deal.

quote:

Have you ever thought about trying to track down what happened to the rest of your family or did you decide it's not worth the hassle?

I've thought about it, sure, but gently caress, what am I supposed to say if I ever find them? Hi mom, I'm dead now and the only thing that keeps me in this world is my unyielding hatred for a couple of vampires who killed me? No, it's better to just forget about them and focus on getting my revenge. Easier for them, too.

HerraS fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 1, 2017

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Ferrosol posted:

Questions

Emily Ainsworth the Tainted

People sell their souls for all kinds of things, money power strength influence. What's been the weirdest request you've fufilled in exchange for someones soul?

Let's not be cynical. People do sell for things that are more than just things. Selling your soul to cure your cancer, getting an extra few years to your life, things that are actually worthwhile to people who don't necessarily understand the value of a soul, both spiritually and as a commodity. Bringing a child back from death or near-death. Still, there are some very, very unusual requests. The strangest usually qualify as petty revenge plots. You've heard people say they'll to anything to get back at someone who wronged them. Some of them are very, very serious about this. The pettiest of the petty has to be Milton Sherrington. He was very upset about his apparent unjustified firing.

He felt that his boss, a Ms. Bianca Carlyle, fired him because she was threatened by him. The facts were not in his favor, but it doesn't matter. He offered his soul so that she wouldn't get to succeed anymore at her job. That she would be doomed in the industry of investment banking. He gladly watched her fall from the company, and even sent me a thank you note for it. He's still a miserable alcoholic without a soul working to scrape by, but he got what he wanted. That petty revenge got him nothing for himself, and she's now running her own advertising agency. Quite successfully, and she's happier than she ever was.

He doesn't even care about her current position. He just wanted her to feel like him at that moment.

Ferrosol posted:

Someone out there owed you a debt that you refused to collect on, Who was it and why wouldn't you collect upon it? What price did you have to pay for refusing to do so?

I learned one of Lilliana's rules very early in my career. Never leave a debt uncollected. I thought I was special, different, unique at the time. That her rules did not apply to me, I'm the number one in collections for a few months. What's the soul of one person? Who would care? His name was Brett. I didn't ask for his last name. He sold his soul after five years for time with his family now, as he had a form of early-onset dementia. I made a mistake of my own, I went to his house to collect rather than meeting some place private. I saw the family, I saw everything he had. It wasn't what I wanted, but everything was perfect. I don't know if there was some sort of magical effect happening, but I couldn't destroy this perfect little family.

Lilliana collected anyways, then made me watch. Without a soul, the dementia destroyed everything about the family. Every day for a year. If I hadn't been as strong as I am, my numbers would have dropped. We run a business here, not a charity. This is the way that Lilliana wants things, and unless you're willing to challenge her, it'll stay that way.

Flamander
May 4, 2009

Ferrosol posted:

Questions

Amy Brooks the Hunter

One thing, Why a baseball bat? I'd assume something like a cricket bat would be more readily available and less... distinctly american is there some significance to it I'm missing?

"Oh, more questions? Gotcha." Amy pulls the baseball bat from her back. "Using a baseball bat, ya see, has a bit of a history in my family - a reputation to uphold. It's like a family weapon, you know?" She looks at it for a while. "Apparently, the tradition goes ALL the way back to my great-great-grand uncle - he moved over here from America back in the 20s - nobody knows exactly why, but given who he worked for, it's easy to see the sort of reason that he left. Personally, I think on the bright side, that it's because he missed his family." A fond smile decorates her face, before she places it back on her back. Turning back to you, Amy clears her throat before continuing, "Anyways, he used a bat because he used to be a mafia 'debt collector' - he got let off on good behaviour - and hey, I guess the rule is, if it ain't broke, don't try fixing it, right?"

Ferrosol posted:

There's a nasty monster who's owed a debt for a long time to your family. Both your uncle and your great aunt tried to collect from it and didn't manage but you have a plan don't you. Who or what is it and why do you think you'll succeed where they failed?

Amy looks at you. She blinks once, then twice. She clears her throat, then gestures with her hands, "Okay. Let me-let me tell you about this GODS-BE-DAMNED VAMPIRE NAMED CASSANDRA SHIELDS III!" For once, Amy's cool and collected composure is seriously shook. Perhaps she's letting Sphinx control her actions a bit too much. "Maybe I'm exaggerating with her being a vampire, but every SINGLE time, our family has tried to collect from her, right? She has cast some sort of hocus-pocus BULLSHIT. Just as an example, she came to us for a blood transfusion once?" Rushing through an explanation, she seems defeated. "Afterwards, she just - poof - into thin air. Like that. It's CRAZY!" She mimes the motions with her hands. She takes a deep breath in. "Calm... chill, Amy, remember your breathing motions... right. So I have a plan - right? Recently, Depthcharge seems to have gotten hold of some real good stuff. Like, A-grade aetheric caging. I reckon if I set up a deal with her - then put up enough failsafes in place..." Amy pumps her fist in excitement. "I might just be able to do what no-one else in my family has ever done - take down that bitch, once and for all."

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

James Butler- The Scholar A member of Mortality

-Dosier Notes- Interview conducted with James Butler, concerning the current situation in London. Interview purpose to acquire factual information. Information required for REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED REDACTED current situation. Interviewer, Magpie 12. -Dosier Notes-

James is a tall man who has the appearance of a man in his early 30's. His beard is well kept, but his clothes are not of high fashion. Not even close. He smokes around 3 cigarettes a day, drinks ale and cannot (as I found out) touch wine. He claims a mystic reason. personally I think its because he can't stand the stuff. His phraseology is cheerful to the point of manic. His house is well maintained and the shop he runs is closer to one of the multitude of "real witchcraft supplies" shops you see in little towns all over the country. He claims no family, and "associates only" not friends.

quote:

Who are you?
The name is James. I'm a dealer in antiquities, curios and honest to goodness magical artefacts.

quote:

I was born a fair distance from London. I try not to tell people where or when, it makes things harder for the horoscope watchers. But I've been here for just over a decade and a half.

quote:

What arcane mystery brought you to the business?
Ah, in this case it started out as a childish fancy. I got hold of the original letter than Lin Zexu sent to queen Victoria to try and stop the Opium war. The original was previously in the royal collection, but it is a document upon which the world could have turned and it's powers only grew. It passed from thief to thief for almost half a century before it came to rest in a crap junkyard car boot in dagenham. I got the letter, and I saw the hidden codas hidden in it, the power that it contained, the endless shifting gears that make history turn! -James is stood up at this point, his eyes shining- It opened up whole new worlds for me. I have been collecting curios ever since. I have been able to bargain directly with devils and trade tea with the saints.

quote:

What habits or comforts does your trade offer you?
Well a flat in London that I don't pay money on is an obvious one. But I get to go to fine dining, speak with the past, rub elbows with the wealthy and the dead. I have been able to do impossible things and keep myself housed and happy. But it's never enough, you always have to be looking out for someone who wants your stuff. But for now? The sheer amount of money and power it gives me is always appreciated. -James at this point offered me a glass of what he assured me was mead. I accepted-

quote:

I need the letter back. It's why I have contacted you. Or you contacted me. I know our government is looking for magical edges all over the world. I know that there is a lot that I can do to let you guys in to a bit of that edge. All I need from you is a bit of support for the letter's safe return. I can trade an awful lot for it and am scrupulously dishonest with it. But I need that letter and am willing to trade information or some "other" objects for it.

quote:

In this neck of the woods? -James swirls his glass at this point- Probably Elise. She's an old timer, runs a small shop just outside some of the big "gently caress you" corporation buildings in canary wharf. She's not moving and no-one can offer her enough to get her to leave, so they just build round her. She buys and sells, but mainly she's the hub of the wheel for people who are trying to get in or out of the occult underground. She speaks every language, and I don't mean like 12+ languages. I mean all of them. She shuttles people to places, into or out of town, away from people who may have a reason to want them dead... or deader. She doesn't fight but she doesn't need to. She'd probably be more of a player but officially she "retired" years ago... Yeah right.

quote:

Oh that's easy. We find things and know things. As a group Mortality cannot stand up to the brute that many of the other factions can muster. We wither under a hail of bullets or a stabbing, never mind demon lightning and enough firepower to level a city. But we know things, we know where the bodies are buried and how to find that out. We make ourselves indispensable and when the Vamps are too busy playing their own games we are always there to get things back to making money.

quote:

-sigh- That would be Thomas. Thomas likes to think of himself as an "old school" vampire. He's not. He's no older than I am but he dresses like Bertie Wooster's rubbish uncle. Insists that he is a "legitimate" business men "attempting to revive this once great city to it's full potential" and blablabla. The man is an arse. He is also a terrifying combatant and has crushed and driven away any other vampire in the area. He rules South London like a private fief and he hates people who try to interfere. We don't get on.

quote:

If you go to central Soho, crammed in between all of the new builds and the fancy restaurants there is a rather run down but lively pub called the John Snow. It is a nexus for mortality. Its run by one brewer, but the company doesn't know that the owner is a former hunter by the name of Goodrich. He makes and sells the custom weapons for half of London's hunters out of the joint, and the "Snow" itself serves as a fantastic healing site. It's where cholera was first tracked by the doctor who the pub is named after, and parts of the broad street pump that spread the epidemic are kept in the basement. John Snow knew what to do, and he forged them into instruments of healing. If you get a bad plague spirit or werewolf bite, you go to the Snow. They'll charge for it, but Christ alone knows it's worth it.

quote:

The Freemason Hall in central. The actual building looks like something out of 1984, but the set up inside is impressive. See this was the source point for one of the greatest magical disasters in recent history. In the year 1850 various members of the magical community decided to try setting up the worlds first "artificial" lay line. The resulting explosion poured more magic into the local area than the remaining mages could handle, created 13 oracles, 12 mages and 2 distinct sub type of werewolf. The newer temple that was built was acting as a capstone for the energies, but if you are looking at it in the right way you can still see the lightning flaring off it. Its a great place to meet some of the real power brokers if you have the time.

quote:

quote:

Name: James Butler
Look: Tall, genteel, slightly crumpled
Demeanour: Charming

Stats
Blood -2, Heart 1, Mind 2, Spirit 1

Factions
Mortality 2, Night -1, Power 1, Wild 0

Gear
An expensive flat, a midsized car, a smart phone, reading glasses
Unassuming Bag Your bag disguises any signs and signals that an arcane item may emit. An arcane item placed in the bag is completely undetectable.

Moves

YOUR PRIVATE COLLECTION
You have a private collection of ancient tomes, books, and arcane objects that you have acquired over your years of less-than-savory deals. Tell the MC about your most prized possession and what dirty deeds you did to acquire it.
When you retreat to your private collection to research an occult occurrence, object, or individual, roll with Mind. On a 10+, pick 3. On a 7-9, pick 1.
You discover a previously unknown weakness or vulnerability
You discover a previously unknown resource or ally
You don’t attract any supernatural attention to your research
On a miss, you discover something terrible in your research that spells doom for you, your friends...or the city itself.

Arcane Network
The Features of my Network are as follows: Burner Phones, A monthly Market and Supernatural Bodyguards

Whose collection do you covet? Sebastian Hill

-He has a collection of T'ang dynasty sculptures that I would give my right eye to possess. He's said before that he needs them for good fortune, but if he ever gets close to retirement I am going to nap those the first thing.

Who keeps things safe for you? "Madame" Zhozha

-She is as close as you can get to a fence in the occult underground. Because everyone goes to her for safe keeping, no-one is going to betray her. Or so goes her thinking on the subject.

Who suspects you’re scamming them? Coram Nadd

-I have always been upright in my dealings with the clientele that I serve. But Coram has been trying to undercut me for years and has even started saying that I short-changed him on some bronzes from the Celtic grave sites in Provence. A studied insult, and one I do not forget.

When you cash in a Debt with a member of your arcane network to obtain a worthy and useful gift without cost, they must offer you three things. Pick the one you want, but the others will never be “free” again.
When you hit the streets to consult your arcane network, you can roll with Mind instead of Mortality. Mark Mortality as normal. In addition, add this option to the 7-9 list:
You owe them an object you haven’t yet acquired

When you refuse to honor a Debt to someone to whom you’ve previously sold arcane objects, add this option to the 7-9 list:
Promise to secure a valuable object for them

Appraisal: When you appraise an arcane object, roll with Mind. On a hit, ask the MC questions. On a 10+, ask 2. On a 7-9, ask 1.
»» What rumors or lies shroud this object’s value?
»» What secrets or powers does this object contain?
»» Who knows more about this object or its powers?
»» Who would want to possess this object?
On a miss, the object is cursed. The MC will tell you what trouble pursues it.

Wielding the Arcane: When you unleash by invoking an arcane item or relic, you may choose to treat your roll as a 10+ without rolling. The item is permanently—and obviously—damaged or consumed by this process.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 28, 2017

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ferrosol posted:

What's the one place you refuse to go since your death? What about it scares you?

I used to occasional hang out at the section of the River Lea near the Olympic Stadium. Nice place, peaceful, quiet, so on. But then I died and found out why just about every supernatural person doesn't go there. Her name is Marijse. She's possible the oldest...is that a correct term for ghosts? Well, she's been around for a long while anyway. More then every other ghost. There's not a lot of information out on her - she doesn't really talk to people or do anything other then haunt the area. And being a ghost for so long means she has become incredibly dangerous. There's nothing to gain by antagonizing her, so everyone just avoids the area.

Other then that, what scares me about her is...well, what if I become like that? If I hang around too long, or lose sight of what makes being here worth it. Becoming less involved in the world until I just haunt a specific place and become nothing more then a threat to anyone who comes by. Is that something all ghosts risk? I don't know and I don't really like thinking about it.

Ferrosol posted:

While you were in the restaurant one of your family members almost recognised you. How did you throw them off the scent? Do you feel guilty about it?

While I was meeting someone in the restaurant, I made the mistake of manifesting myself visibly. Some people want to look like they're talking to someone else instead of just the air in front of them. Akira was inside, back from whatever he had been doing while out and he saw me. First his eyes went past me, then he paused, and he turned to face me again. When he had paused, I turned around and started walking outside, near the alley where the trash was kept. But he was following me. I got there, focused, and manifested without being visible this time. He came around the corner and started looking. And as he did, he kept saying "...Yuri?" As if he wasn't sure if it was me he saw or something his mind sprung out. I didn't like making him doubt his own mind, but what else could I do? When he turned to leave, I saw some tears roll down his face. It made me feel like poo poo.

The next time I got paid, I put quite a huge amount in an envelope and left it in his mailbox. He's gotten used to "some random stranger" being generous. I don't think he actually questions any of it. Like I said, not the brightest bulb. But he's my brother, and I don't want to hurt him like that ever again. So nowadays I never manifest myself visually when in the restaurant. If people have a problem with that, they can go gently caress themselves.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 27, 2017

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

:siren:

People who still want to app have 24 hours to do so. After that all apps are closed. I'll give people a few days after that to finish their answers to the questions and make picks sometime over the weekend.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Ferrosol posted:

The city has changed a lot in the time you've been imprisoned. Which of the changes do you most approve of?

Today's London is quite different from the 2000s. Everyone is connected nowadays, whether it be through smart phone, twitter, whatsapp or whatever the kids are using nowadays. Information is flowing and nobody seems to care who sees what. Want to find out where Mr Elliot eats at? Check his daughter's instagram and you will get a notion. Want to get close to somebody? Pull some strings and get their credit card information and find out they are getting into kayaking. Then check facebook and find out when the next kayaking group is meeting up. It seems like now more than ever it's easier to connect with someone. Once you connect with someone you form a group, and with a group comes power.. And with power comes change..

Ferrosol posted:

Who amongst the court tried to treat you as a failure? What did you do to show them that you're still someone not to be messed with?

Most of the court disapproves of some of my more.. esoteric interpretations of my dealing with the court lady. One of them was a faerie I was mentoring, Eolande. To be fair my disgrace did fall on her shoulders as well and at first I handled them. It was after a nasty police intervention caused my last safe house to be destroyed as well as a friend of mind getting in trouble that I had to act.

Secrets are important to the fae and after much digging (and owing people a few favours) i had found out Eolande's. She had a child, mortal born and living in the city. After an almost fatal encounter we had come with a deal. I leave her child alone, sworn to secrecy and she stops getting in my way. She's still out there, plotting revenge but she's a bit busy right now. I had allready tipped off a demon at William and Faust about the child and from what i heard there's some trouble headed her way.

All the court saw was Eolande come after me and then get swatted down. Enough of a warning I hope to keep them off my back.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Ferrosol posted:

Ariana Rees the Oracle

Who refused to accept the visions you shared with them and tried to fight their fate? Did they succeed or did your visions still come to pass?

Ariana slowly nods, "I figured you might have heard about it. I don't deal much with the creatures of Night. Nothing personal, really, we just don't run in much the same circles. In any case, my name doesn't carry much weight among that community. They don't know much about me or what I can do. Normally not something I concern myself with much, but..." Her mouth tightens. "I was having the nightmares. A face kept popping up. A werewolf howling in pain and loss. They really do look a lot alike when they're all wolfed out, so that wasn't much to go on. But the rest... I saw streets soaked in blood, an entire pack laid low by a man with a terrible smile. He was angry, so angry, and they were just there."

"It was about a week before I worked up the courage to approach the pack in question. I did a little digging when I recognized the street and it turns out that's the usual stomping ground of the Howlers. Not an imaginative bunch, eh? Doesn't much matter now, but..." Her eyes snap back up to meet yours. "Oh! I forgot to tell you what happened to them. Right, right. I met with their leader, a chap going by the name Bloodtalon or Shadowfang or Moonclaw or something. He had like a million titles. It was really rather odd watching his boys talk him up like I was meeting the Queen herself. In any case, he didn't take me seriously. I think he thought I was threatening him." She sips her tea. "I didn't hear much after that, but word eventually came. They'd found that man, foolishly decided to prove their masculinity by discounting my warnings, and were slaughtered to the man. Wolf. Whichever."

"It was a pity, but it told me one important thing. I can't simply change the future by telling someone about it and hoping that they'll make a different choice from that which they would have with no warning. This is why I need connections, need people who will take what I say seriously. And, worst comes to worst, people I can trust to make things right when I see something awful."

Ferrosol posted:

Who in the RMAS keeps trying to get you more deeply involved in the group and why do you keep refusing them?

Ariana pulls a slightly crumpled photo from her pocket and offers it to you. "They call her Nimue. I don't know if she's all that the name claims her to be, but she has the chops to pull it off. Likable enough, especially compared to the usual stuffy old bags, but she's hungry for power. Really, really hungry. Being in a room with her, it's like... I don't know. It's like that feeling in your stomach when you haven't eaten for days and it feels like everything is curling up in on itself." She sighs. "The worst of it is that she's, as far as I can tell, completely convinced she has my best interests in mind. I don't dislike her, I'm just... Cautious. I'm afraid that if I let her in, she'll just be like the rest of them. Just with a prettier face."

There's a pause in the conversation as she sips her tea, "I suppose my greatest concern is what might come to pass when the visions paint something contrary to their interests. I'd rather not sit by and see the people suffer, not if I could hope to stop it. If I tie myself fully to the RMAS, the expectation would be that my talents would be for their exclusive use. I think they're a decent lot, for the most part, but I'm not some tool to monopolize. Besides, I need to pay my way through school and make rent somehow. I offer consultations to anyone willing to pay. If they want to augur some course of action or another, I have bookings free as early as next week."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

quote:

Who amongst your family refused to accept that you were the Leviathan reborn? What did you do that demonstrated your power to them? How did they respond?
According to every Levintane I talked to, Mom and Aunt Irene have always had a sibling rivalry going on. When they were kids they tried to show each other up with grades and praise from their parents; now they show off their respectability and their connection to the family magic. So when little sister Maria declared that her daughter was the Leviathan reborn, big sister Irene was first amongst the skeptics, and demanded that I give a demonstration in front of the whole family.

When your family has been your world for so long, their judgement hangs heavy on you. I panicked; and in my panic, I did something regretful.

It was later explained to me that everyone in the room could feel the weigh of my psychic presence of their mind. Some described it as a terrible, others as the sensation of being about to be eaten. Cousin David said something about his internal organs melting (he's always been weird). And the rest of the family only got caught in the crossfire; Aunt Irene experienced the full might of the Leviathan's pressure, the mental equivalent of being rammed by the body I had in my past life.

She packed her bags and left, bringing her husband and two of my cousing with them, and they haven't spoken with us since.

quote:

What do you miss most from your original form? What do you enjoy the most about your current one?

The thing I miss the most... it's probably the security that that form granted me. I was, quite literally, the biggest fish in the pond; nothing could touch me, nothing could harm me. The sensation of being completely and absolutely untouchable from anything is a wonderful feeling, that it's hard to come by in this chaotic era. Even before moving downtown, nestled in the security of my family home, I could see my relatives vying for power and trying to impress the elders, hoping they'd grant them more ancient family lore.

On the other hand, this new world has its perks. It's beautiful, for starters. There is much beauty in the depths of the sea, but it's all so... involuntary, almost random. A beautiful coral garden is beautiful, certainly, but it's not deliberate; it grew that way because that's the sort of coral that can grow there. I find the thoughtful application of an artist's brush, of an architect's pen to be much more fascinating. Humans, for all their weaknesses, are the only beasts that truly change the world to adapt to their vision. If you think about it it's no surprise they got the better of me in my past life; they would never tollerate something that so stubbornly refuses to belong to their world.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 28, 2017

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Right recruitment is closed. Now everyone either finish your app and/or finish your questions. You have till about this time on Friday before I make picks.

And speaking of questions.

Wait Vampires werewolves and Unicorns? Everyone knows about Vampires and Werewolves but a live unicorn hasn't been seen in London for years. If you have seen one well I could make you quite a lucrative offer for it's last known location. Powdered Unicorn horn is very valuable to a certain type of mage and that doesn't even count the half a dozen uses an Elder vampire can make of Unicorn blood. Very profitable indeed and all it would cost you is giving up an innocent and good creatures life. So would like cash or do you have a bank account you'd like me to make the transfer to?

Anyway to the real business at hand. You are aware that you've been asking too many questions. Questions that may draw the wrong kind of attention. Indeed I understand they already have, who tried to dissuade you from looking into the fogs? What did you offer them that persuaded them to leave you alone?

James Butler the Scholar

Thank you for your time Mr Butler. Just a few minor questions and you can get on with your business. Now do you mind assisting us with an ongoing investigation? You sold a specific item to someone we've been watching very closely. The man? opposite you slides a picture across to you that you recognise as a recent customer. Who were they and what unusual item did you sell them?

Also I understand you to be a man of principle Mr Butler. What's the one type of Artefact you'd never deal in? no matter how lucrative the offer. What makes it so horrible?

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Ferrosol posted:

Wait Vampires werewolves and Unicorns? Everyone knows about Vampires and Werewolves but a live unicorn hasn't been seen in London for years. If you have seen one well I could make you quite a lucrative offer for it's last known location. Powdered Unicorn horn is very valuable to a certain type of mage and that doesn't even count the half a dozen uses an Elder vampire can make of Unicorn blood. Very profitable indeed and all it would cost you is giving up an innocent and good creatures life. So would like cash or do you have a bank account you'd like me to make the transfer to?

Wait, they're worth how much!? That's... wow, that's a lot of money, and... and all I have to do is tell you where I found it? Hm, well I have been having some money problems lately, so maybe- NO! No! I'm sorry, but I can't- I won't tell you where I found it! I don't care how much you offer me, I refuse to give up an innocent creature's life for money! I am insulted that you think that I'm the kind of person who would sell out the life of another for cash!

quote:

Anyway to the real business at hand. You are aware that you've been asking too many questions. Questions that may draw the wrong kind of attention. Indeed I understand they already have, who tried to dissuade you from looking into the fogs? What did you offer them that persuaded them to leave you alone?

Yes, I'm... very aware of the kind of attention I've been drawing lately. I was approached by an elderly looking gentleman while I was working at the bookshop one morning. The man placed some coffee next to me, and said, "Here, you look like you need this." I didn't get much sleep the previous night, since I spent most of it researching the fog, so the coffee was appreciated.

"You should stop," he said while I drank down the coffee, "Forget about everything you've learned, and move on with your life."

"...And what if I don't?" I asked.

"Then they will come after you."

"Who are "they"?"

"They are dangerous, and they do not like it when others ask questions about the fog. They have taken notice of you, and they are watching you. If you continue on this path, then you are only putting your life in danger, so once again, I must ask you to stop what you're doing, and move on."

There was a long moment of silence between us before I finally said, "...Thank you for the coffee, but I can't stop. Not now. I've come too far to stop."

"Then you will continue on, despite knowing the risks?"

"Yes," I said with no hesitation in my voice, "I've been aware of the risks from the beginning. I know how much danger I'm putting myself in, but that never stopped me before. I need to know. I need to know the truth about what happened, no matter what."

The man smiled, and said, "I'm glad to hear that. I never properly introduced myself, have I? My name is Maximilian Henderson, and I have a proposition for you, Ms. Fujikawa; I will keep them away from you, but in return, you must tell me everything you've learned about the fog. Let's just say that I, too, have an interest in it."

I hesitated at first, but I eventually agreed to his deal, and told him everything I've learned over the past two years. It... it might sound a little silly, but I felt like... I felt like I could trust him.

I still don't know who they are, but I hope I never have to find out.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

First of all let me just say thank you for everyone that apped. I was idly wondering about running a game with all of you or running two separate games with you but unfortunately I'm not quite that insane. So I've had to make picks based on how many players I can handle, So congratulations to everyone who made it in and commiserations to those who didn't. Anyway without further ado the (un)lucky players

The cast

Michiko Fujikawa, the Aware Played by Tardzilla
Amy Brooks the Hunter Played by Flamander
Ariana Rees the Oracle Played by Tricky
Victoria Levintane the Dragon Played by paradoxGentleman
Emily Ainsworth the Tainted Played by thelazyblank
Dale Fitzroy the Revenant Played by HerraS

Now if you would all sort out your debts while I whip up my Horribly cliche and hastily assembled story storygaming masterpiece We might get this show on the road before the weekend is over.

Edit Debt Tracker is here.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 31, 2017

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Good luck with the campaign!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

My Backgrounds:

quote:

Someone helps you understand your dreams and visions. You owe them 2 debts.

Victoria Levintane - "I've known Victoria for a while now, actually. It wasn't long after RMAS took me in and they started training me on how to control the visions. How to harness it. Sometimes the visions are clear. Those are the easy ones. At other times, they draw on strange symbology and metaphors. Imagery that I can't hope to understand. Victoria, though? She's a natural at it. I suppose that comes with the territory. And, um, I think that she likes talking to me and taking me places. I'm something of a recluse by nature, but I like spending time with her."

quote:

You've had a dire prophecy about someone, but you don't know how to help them...yet. You owe them a debt.

Michiko Fujikawa - "For the past few weeks, I've been having a recurring dream. A girl, about my age, is looking for something. She's searching harder and harder, but she can't find what she's looking for. All the while, a fog is rolling in. A deep fog, full of terrible things. It covers her and then she's just... gone. I didn't even know where to start with this one. It was a lucky break that I met the girl, Michiko, at a local bookstore. I talked with her for a bit, trying to find out how much of the true face of the world she knew, and it turned out she knew enough to pick up on the hints I was giving. I gave her the cliff notes version and it seems like she knows what that's all about. It also seems that we share a class at UCL. Small world, right?

quote:

You are helping someone realize their true potential through your visions. They owe you a debt.

Amy Brooks - "She's wasted as a glorified tough. I know that she can do some real good, I've seen it even, she just needs to be pointed in the right direction first. The spirit that possesses her will only grow stronger with time and if she is left to her own devices, it will consume her. She needs to push herself mentally and physically to be strong enough to resist it. It's a good thing I've got all sorts of problems for her to fix that'll toughen her up!"

Other Backgrounds:

Michiko Fujikawa posted:

Someone thinks they’re protecting you, but it’s really more like you’re protecting them. You owe each other a Debt.

Dale Fitzroy posted:

Someone mourned your death, truly and deeply. You owe them a Debt.

Emily Ainsworth posted:

You’re protecting someone from a dark power. They owe you 2 Debts.

Amy Brooks posted:

Someone keeps you equipped and supplied. You owe them 2 Debts.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 2, 2017

Flamander
May 4, 2009

My Debts:

quote:

Someone has enlisted you to protect them from something very dangerous. They owe you a Debt.

Michiko Fujikawa - "Her? Oh, her. The girl I've contracted with, what was her name? Michiko. That was it. I've been protecting her from a wraith called Ether. I don't know much about it - past the fact it can go through solid material like it was nothing."

quote:

Someone keeps you equipped and supplied. You owe them 2 Debts.

Ariana Rees - "Ariana gets me cool arcane stuff. It's VERY handy for all sorts of situations when out hunting. Heh, I owe her quite a bit. Although... I do wonder - how does she know how to get all of those gadgets?"

quote:

You consider someone a friend even though the friendship keeps bringing you trouble. They owe you a Debt.

Emily Ainsworth - "Emily and I get together for a drink occasionally - strictly formal, by the way, I never could handle a drink - and conduct business. I'm a collector with spare time, she's a banker for a soul collection agency. We might not collect EXACTLY the same thing in our on time... but in my off time, I encounter a lot of things that Williams & Faust Investments might be interested in - so when I get the chance to slay stuff? I inform her about it."

Other Debts:

Ariana Rees posted:

You are helping someone realize their true potential through your visions. They owe you a debt.

Victoria Levintane posted:

Someone knows you betrayed them, but they don’t know the whole story. You owe them a Debt.

Flamander fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 4, 2017

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

MY DEBTS:

quote:

Someone mourned your death, truly and deeply. You owe them a Debt.

Ariana, who saw a vision of what happened when I died and truly felt sorry for me.

quote:

Someone tried to get justice for your murder, but failed to lay your soul to rest. They owe you a Debt.

This one's up for grabs.

quote:

Someone has already come to rely on you and your powers. Ask them what unique need you fill. They owe you 2 Debts.

I help Emily out sometimes. I'll let her clue you in on the details.

quote:

Your daemon has carried you back from the land of the dead. You owe them 2 Debts.

Edgar didn't bring me back from the kindness of his nonexistent heart, you know.

DEBTS FROM OTHERS:

Victoria Levantine posted:

Someone is keeping a friend or family member safe on your behalf. You owe them a Debt.

I'm keeping an eye out for one of Victoria's relatives. I'm hoping she can help me get in touch with someone who can track down a couple of vampires.

HerraS fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 5, 2017

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

My Debts

quote:

Someone told you their secrets and you haven’t told anyone about them yet. They owe you 2 Debts.

Victoria Levintane - It happened when I was stuck tracking down a lead on someone who had some important information. They kept leaving behind all these confused testimonies, like their minds had been tampered with, and I was... I was getting desperate. I was running around in circles, and I felt myself getting more and more frustrated.

That was when Victoria revealed to me that all these people had their minds shattered by a reborn sea monster, and she knew... because she was one, too.

I told her I wouldn't tell a single soul about her this. She trusted me enough to share her secret with me, and I'm not about to betray that trust.

quote:

Someone thinks they’re protecting you, but it’s really more like you’re protecting them. You owe each other a Debt.

Ariana Rees - I'm... worried about Ariana. She's been trying to protect me from the fog, and I'm afraid that she might be getting herself too involved now. What if she attracts their attention? She doesn't have Maximilian watching out for her like I do. I can't... I can't let her get hurt because of me. There has to be something I can do to protect her from them.

quote:

You’re leveraging dirt you have on someone to get their help with something. You owe them a Debt.

...Sometimes... sometimes I have to do something I'm not proud of in my pursuit of the truth. There's this man, Edgar Crowley, who has connections to London's underworld. During my search, I stumbled upon some incriminating evidence, evidence that would get him into some serious trouble if it got out into the public.

...I... I feel bad for doing this, but he has access to information I desperately need related to the missing people, and this was the only way to get him to help me.

I just... I just hope I made the right decision.

Other Debts:

Ariana Rees posted:

You've had a dire prophecy about someone, but you don't know how to help them...yet. You owe them a debt.

Amy Brooks posted:

Someone has enlisted you to protect them from something very dangerous. They owe you a Debt.

Victoria Levintane posted:

Someone stole something from you and it may never be returned. They owe you two Debts.

Emily Ainsworth posted:

Someone is trying to save you and keeps suffering for it. You owe them 2 Debts

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 4, 2017

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Emily Ainsworth

My Debts

quote:

You’re protecting someone from a dark power. They owe you 2 Debts.

Ariana has been digging deeper into something that has gotten her all sorts of bad attention. People with her particular skill-set tend to get attention anyways, but some of the less-scrupulous demons of the city would think of her more as a means to an end rather than as a useful colleague in a city like this. I've made sure her particulars, her details stay hidden from most of the demons in the city.

quote:

Someone is trying to save you and keeps suffering for it. You owe them 2 Debts.

Michiko has been spending time trying to save me. I haven't asked if it has anything to do with her other projects. I just hope she's not spending too much time on me, not if she drags herself into my trouble too much. I know what I'm doing, and I'd hate to see someone else suffer because they don't understand how deep in I am. I'm not some pretty face that needs rescuing.

quote:

You have a demon patron who holds the contract for your soul. You owe them 3 Debts.

I've given you quite enough on Lilliana, I'd imagine you understand the situation.

Others' Debts

Dale Fitzroy posted:

Someone has already come to rely on you and your powers. Ask them what unique need you fill. They owe you 2 Debts.

Ah, yes. Dale. There's a bit of a demonic connection, but more importantly, he's very good at finding people. Usually, he kills them, but it isn't like I hold control over that. When I'm calling on Dale, he's there to find someone first, then if they don't want to listen, well, I'm not here to stop Dale from doing whatever he does. Plus, his patron is quite a bit different from my own, so researching what could be.

Amy Brooks posted:

You consider someone a friend even though the friendship keeps bringing you trouble. They owe you a Debt.

Amy is an interesting woman. We're both in collections, of a sort. Unlike a lot of the community, she's just mercenary enough without being quite the usual backstabbing sort that comes with it. We trade stories on what's happening in the city, interesting things that may pop up. It's not strictly business, but it's a good outlet. I'd like to think for both of us.

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 4, 2017

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

 Someone knows you betrayed them, but they don’t know the whole story. You
owe them a Debt.
A certain herb called newt's tongue only grows on the tomb of wizards. It's very hard to distinguish from common weeds, but it's a very useful ingredients for the preparation of potions. I have no idea how a lowlife like Moses Corduroy got its hands on this precious information, but the fact is that he constantly raided the tomb of a grandfather of a member of the Royal Magicians Advisory Society.

He was adequately punished for his disrespect. I mean, using someone's resting place like it was a blueberry patch. Completely out of line.

Apparently he was a big provider of the Brooks family, the pharmacists. In doing what was righteous, I accidentally compromised their safety. Always a shame when that happens, especially to someone who does such good work as that Amy girl. I'll pay her back sometime.

 Someone stole something from you and it may never be returned. They owe you two Debts.
Speaking of people that do good work...that poor Michiko. I heard she had been tracking someone, someone who left behind a string of unexplicably confused testimonies. No traces of drugs on them, no reason they should be like this, no other leads. She sounded really desperate.

So I cracked. I told her about my Pressure, about the power of sea monsters to shatter the mind of their victims, so that at least she had an idea what she was up against. I guess the secret wasn't really "stolen" so much as given away too freely.

I've made it very clear to her that this must not become public knowledge. Not that I can do this, nor that...that apparenetly I'm not the only one of my fellow sea monsters that was born again.

 Someone is keeping a friend or family member safe on your behalf. You owe them a Debt.
As much as Aunt Irene has acted out against me, I really don't want anything bad to happen to her. She's still family, and so are my adorable little cousins, Greta and Benjamin. So I asked that irkallu, Dale, to keep an eye on them. He's a capable fighter, and I don't want to entrust their safety to an hunter or werewolf. I'd rather trust someone with a bit more subtleness and diplomacy, someone who's not going to scare them off.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Something I forgot to do earlier. Please hash this out while I work on an OP.

quote:

At the beginning of every session, announce which character your character trusts the least; their player will spotlight a Faction for your character (that isn’t already marked). Mark that Faction, then tell the MC about a rumor or conflict that you’ve heard about that Faction, building on previous established information if you’d like, and roll with the Faction. On a 10+, you’re prepared for the conflict you laid out: you’ve got a Debt on someone in that Faction or a useful piece of information or equipment, your choice. On a 7-9, you’re neck deep in it: you owe someone in that Faction a Debt, and someone in that Faction owes a Debt to you. On a miss, you’re caught flat-footed, unprepared, or unaware: the MC will tell you who is coming at you.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

And finally. Apologies for the delays on my part but we are go.

IC thread is here please include your character sheet in your first post and keep it updated to make my life easier. And Good luck and have fun everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

So as it turns out that the Dragon playbook is supposed to be a Wild one, not a Power one. So I've decided to change the answers to some of my questions to match that. The other NPCs and places made up may or may not be used, at Ferrosol's preference.

quote:

Black Hattie is the uncontested ruler of clandestine traffic on the Thames. She doesn't claim a title, like the rulers of the seasonal courts of yore; but the fact that no contraband is stashed into tunnels or makes its way into a barge without her knowing and her approval. Many kelpies and other water fae have sworn loyalty to her, turning their back on their more traditional rulers in in exchange for her blessing; which mostly means that she'll allow them to do business and transport goods on the Thames without fearing to see her shadow skim just under the water, her hands grab onto them and drag them off their barge or dock, down, down into the dark waters of the river...

quote:

What's one thing that your faction does better than everyone else?
We're hard to predict. Wheter by the byzantine geases of the fae, the tricky nature of demonic contracts, or even the somewhat... let's say "out of touch" nature of my family, we move in ways that humanity and its symbiotes have an hard time predicting. Our rules are not their rules, and vice versa; our needs are not their needs. This is something of a two-way street, since many of us don't understand humanity just as it doesn't understand us; but for those of us who do, who observe the rituals and ways of these world-dominating monkeys, have a distinct advantage. Know yourself, and know your enemy, and you shall never be defeated.

quote:

-What’s an important part of town for your faction?
On a Sunday, go to a station of the Tube; any of them will do. Enter a train at midnight precisely; not a second earlier nor a second later. That train will not bring you to the station that's would normally take you to: instead it will take you to the Underground Goblin Market. They accept pounds there, but you can't buy much with those; a couple of goblin fruits, perhaps, oranges so plump and juicy they literally explode in your mouth at the slightest nibble, cherries dark and intense that have been known to act as aphrodisiac. But if you want the good stuff, the knives that can stab shadows, the nights of restful sleep tucked safely into glass baubles, you're going to have to give them more precious stuff. They will accept locks of hair, blood, even teeth, or dreams, memories of summer days and first loves.

They're a dangerous lot who keep to themselves, the goblins of the Goblin Market, but sometimes you desperately need something, and that some thing is resting in the stall of the market, between an imported shrunken head and the faith of a priest, and what do you do then?

• Locked thread