Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EBB
Feb 15, 2005

That haircut is the real crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm trying to grow a huge pumpkin this year, supposedly (with proper care) these seeds average like 500lb pumpkings lmao. Biggest one was 2300lbs or so. I'd be happy with just a regular pumpkin but if I get the great pumpkin it would be hilarious, great, and pointless.

Anyhow just letting the seeds boogie in soil in some cups while I wait for some fertilizer and poo poo to get here and for it to be just a touch warmer out.

6 seeds named after Muppet Babies, who knows who will survive the first culling, but I'm putting my money on animal.

It's a lovely pitcture but from left to right we have

Gonzo, Ms Piggy, Fozzie, Rolf ,Animal ,and Kermit

plz add ur prayers for Animal in your posts, laugh at my waterbill if any of these things take, and ask me for updates if I forget because I will forget and I'd like to document my failure to make a huge pumpkin

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

pumpkins are hella fun to watch grow

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I'm trying to grow a huge pumpkin this year, supposedly (with proper care) these seeds average like 500lb pumpkings lmao. Biggest one was 2300lbs or so. I'd be happy with just a regular pumpkin but if I get the great pumpkin it would be hilarious, great, and pointless.

Anyhow just letting the seeds boogie in soil in some cups while I wait for some fertilizer and poo poo to get here and for it to be just a touch warmer out.

6 seeds named after Muppet Babies, who knows who will survive the first culling, but I'm putting my money on animal.

It's a lovely pitcture but from left to right we have

Gonzo, Ms Piggy, Fozzie, Rolf ,Animal ,and Kermit

plz add ur prayers for Animal in your posts, laugh at my waterbill if any of these things take, and ask me for updates if I forget because I will forget and I'd like to document my failure to make a huge pumpkin

Hey, not sure if you've done pumpkins before, but when they flower you are probably going to have to pollinate the them by hand, I personally didn't learn that until two failed years of pumpkins.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
trackin yeah thanks though! I appreciate tips!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

bengy81 posted:

Hey, not sure if you've done pumpkins before, but when they flower you are probably going to have to pollinate the them by hand, I personally didn't learn that until two failed years of pumpkins.

really? Where you at?

My dad let a patch of pumpkins take over the shady side of the house, all we really did was wrangle the vines back in each week so they didnt spread too far and water them occasionally. this was CT though

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

really? Where you at?

My dad let a patch of pumpkins take over the shady side of the house, all we really did was wrangle the vines back in each week so they didnt spread too far and water them occasionally. this was CT though

South of Denver. I'm not sure what the voodoo is with pumpkins for us though. Could be that we only ever do two or so plants. I "think" they are similar to corn, where they rely on wind to pollinate the flowers, but not sure.

I know with my corn, I have to go out and shake the stalks to pollinate them each year, but again, I'm not growing more than 30 or so plants at a time.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

could be a soil thing too. That yard had a shitload of clay in it, and we didn't hurt for bees tbh

I have a perfect side of house that doesnt get much sun, im totally putting a pumpkin patch there now

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I just got back from being underway for 3 months. The wife and I went to the garden store here in Japan and bought some cherry tomatoes, strawberries, miniature watermelon things, grape tomatoes, bell peppers, some hot looking pepper, and lots of wheat grass and herbs for the cats to munch on. I am pretty bad at not killing plants so we are going to see how this goes. I think I over water everything because I feel like it needs attention every day or something. I am going to try to limit watering to a couple of times a week and see how that works.

These are tied to the railing now. Also, excuse the lovely old cat tree but my cats loving love this thing to death so I relegated it to the patio while the nice ones are inside.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 17, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Pumpkin blossoms are real pretty so even if you do mess up the pollination it's gonna have been worth it imo.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Is it possible to revive a cactus that's been stored in a cold attic for probably 30 years?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Give it a shot.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Garden update:

first bed is kale, lettuce, arugula and carrots. Second bed is tomatoes, strawberries, green pepper we picked up at the garden store yesterday. Then the teepee is gonna grow green beans and peas up it. Tilled up another bed in the back yard and planted zucchini, butternut squash and some pumpkins, as well as some corn but the seeds are pretty old, so they might not sprout.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
^^^^Looks nice dude!

Here is mine, please be gentle though, I just came back from a short vacation and my yard is a jungle.

Newest plantings, small ones are peppers, one pumpkin? I think, some pole beans popping up in the back. The cinder block has a couple pumpkins in it as an experiment.

Onions, shallots, garlic, brussels sprouts, some kale, spring mix and a lone carrot. Just pulled a bunch of greens that bolted and planted more green beans.

Baby cucumbers, snap peas, beets, lettuce, spinach kale, baby fennel plants, radishes, and more green beans. Some really pathetic looking basil and maybe spinach...

Carrots, snap peas, cauliflower and swiss chard. pulled some broccoli out of the empty spots earlier cuz they flowered while we were gone... planted more green beans!

Behind the dandelion jungle is a bed of asparagus, its still kind of young, the tall plants are three years old, the rest are 1-2 years old. Probably about 50 plants in here right now, but its hard to tell. Behind the asparagus is a 4x8 bed of strawberries, should be my first year getting a good harvest from it. Behind that is a 4x12 bed of potatoes with about 20 plants in it. We are either going to get enough potatoes to feed us for a year, or nothing, at least from my experience.

I have a bunch of other stuff spread around the yard, I have a small herb bed, a bunch of raspberries and blackberries, and a big patch with about a dozen sunflowers in it.
Might add more next year, kind of want to do a hoop house, and I have a small shed attached to my house I am going to clean out to turn into a grow room so I can have spring mix all winter and start stuff like onions, broccoli, and cauliflower earlier in the year to save some money.

Planning for fall, gonna go for RD.2 on the cauliflower and broccoli, plus I'll try to get some rutabega and turnips going as well.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If I leave stuff out for more than about 4 hours they just cook and wilt. And we're not even in full-up summer yet.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Godholio posted:

If I leave stuff out for more than about 4 hours they just cook and wilt. And we're not even in full-up summer yet.

Pretty sure you need to grow peppers.

Also, check with your local ag school extension to see what grows in your area, if you are were I think you are, I would probably grow peyote tbh.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah that's about right.

Edit: I had 12 pepper sprouts growing, then they literally blew away in the wind.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 12, 2017

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I said gently caress it and planted six pimento plants on my balcony yesterday. They only get about six hours of direct sunlight a day so I'm not getting my hopes up, but if they do produce peppers I'm pickling them.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
Someone help me... my rose bush is dying :(

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

windshipper posted:

https://www.bayeradvanced.com/find-a-product/rose-flower-care/all-in-one-rose-flower-care

bengy81
May 8, 2010

windshipper posted:

Try the following:
1. Water more
2. Water less
3. Fertilize monthly
4. Check for bugs and disease
5. Remove bugs and disease.
6. Prune
7. Stop pruning!
8. (Best option) Ignore everything above, snap pics of the plant and email them to your local AG school extension, or most nurseries will usually have a master gardener or two on staff that can give you advice on how to fix your problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Will be stopping by Lowe's to get this later.

bengy81 posted:

Try the following:
1. Water more
2. Water less
3. Fertilize monthly
4. Check for bugs and disease
5. Remove bugs and disease.
6. Prune
7. Stop pruning!
8. (Best option) Ignore everything above, snap pics of the plant and email them to your local AG school extension, or most nurseries will usually have a master gardener or two on staff that can give you advice on how to fix your problem.

And also doing option 8. But I think I need to prune some of the leaves. I went away to work a 60 the other weekend, came back home and the some of the leaves were turning yellow with black spots, and some of the buds had died. :( We got it as a house warming gift a couple months back, and it had been doing stellar up until that point.

• Locked thread