Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i think i mentioned this to you at one point but the button press thing is one of those things that eventually you have to learn to let go of to some extent. i mean yeah, obviously, button pressing in the middle of what is silence otherwise should be edited out - it's a distracting thing like mouth noises otherwise. my stammer is my own particular curse there. i've stammered since i was a little kid, and early on when I was LPing i spent tons of time editing it out to make myself sound smoother. i don't regret that effort at all, but the reality of the situation is that i ended up spending 1 hour to edit 10 minutes of footage; so over a 12-ish hour LP like Dark Messiah was 72 hours of editing work i did.

while it's not time wasted, it would have been time better spent making more content or doing something that makes me more valuable as a commentator - whatever that happens to be. i learned by about my 3rd LP or so that my humor style is largely contextual and referential, as opposed to goofy and clever like TheLastRoboKy's or contrarian and over-the-top like Lunethex's (my two main collaborators). it's where i'm most comfortable and where I get the most responses out of people. if i'd been less of a dick about cutting every stammer and halved my work on that, i could have spent 36 hours reading books, watching movies, hiking trails, training my dog, and doing other things that give me more experience to draw context from in any given situation. that's enough time to listen to the first two Dune books, all of Isaac Asimov's writing, or an unabridged reading of H.P. Lovecraft's entire body of literature. it's enough time to watch all of the Saturn Award movies for sci-fi going back to something like 1985. it's enough time to walk at least 50 miles along the historic intercontinental railroad that actually united the united states (most of the old rail lines are walking trails now). it's enough time to fully train my current dog as a therapy dog and take him to half a dozen hospitals, orphanages, and college libraries to ply his trade. it's enough time to finish a duolingo course on a second language.

eventually i got the best of both worlds by hiring Lunethex as my audio editor; he's much faster at getting that done than I am and I can do other work for him that takes me a fraction of the time (like coding or whatever). but yeah, i definitely don't see it as a 'better person' sort of thing - it's more a situation where you plain and simple had better things to do than obsess over those tiny details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Also perhaps inevitably, later on I got a little laxer with sound editing. For the early episodes I would spend around a minute editing sound for every minute of recording we had. I'd edit out every button press from Coolguy I caught and would edit away any time we talked over each other. Later on I abridged that process a /lot/ because I could feel myself burning out a little. Still, were I a better person I would have kept that effort up.
I feel like there's a point of diminishing returns after a point on things like sound editing. Yes, absolutely do what you can to make the LP sound better. But even at the end, after you admit to becoming "more lax", you guys still sounded pretty good. I only noticed stuff like button presses a few times during the LP, and since most of them were "I'm really trying to get this spell/tech/item off before the boss kills us", you could even say it added to the experience a bit. And of course, avoiding LP burnout is paramount.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
I still need to catch up on the videos but I kinda started dragging a little as a viewer around SZS, and for me it was less you guys and more the game itself not really seeming all that fun anymore. A lot of the fights really had just turned into dull slogs with the same method of killing them. I burned out on the romhack around the dark palace for the same reason. It just wasn't that fun to play and watching people struggle through something that just doesn't seem fun (or even the goofy type of so bad it's at least entertaining if not really fun) kinda reduced its value for me. I do still want to see how the end sequence works though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Apparently, though, both Tea and Coolguye were having fun, aside from maybe a couple of points (most notably Dolan, and that wasn't entirely the hack's fault).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So Let's Review is taking longer than I wanted it to. I've scripted everything, but I transferred computers recently and getting editing setup is a bit of a pain at the moment.

That said, there's one last vote I want to open up to the thread.

I've been looking at my next LP choice and it's going to be more of a short form one while I gear up for the next huge LP I'm planning.

There are three games I'm thinking of looking at:

A. Megaman X hardtype. So I've been trawling through New Game + after playing Hardtype and have found a fairly promising Megaman X hack. I count myself to be fairly good at the original so I think this would be interesting to look at.

B. Megaman 9. Honestly I just love this game and would have a blast coming back to it after all these years.

C./ Sonic Mania. I understand there's been an LP of it recently, but ideally I want to have a bit more of an analytical look at the game and stages relative to the previous 2D sonic iterations.

Anyway, for the people who stuck with us through this, I'd really like your take on what you'd want to see the most, so vote away.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Go with Mega Man X hardtype, I think. I don't know what it's about, but if it elects for more interesting debates and criticism, I'm all for more of that.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

On one hand, MMX is a game I know fairly well, unlike SD3, so I'd have an actual understanding of what the hardtype hack is trying to do and why. On the other hand, I don't have either MM9 or Sonic Mania and would like to see them. I guess at the risk of making you into "the hardtype guy", I'm going to vote for MMX.

Also, what is this "New Game Plus" you're getting romhacks from? A quick Googling of the term only brought up the definition and some articles on games that have the feature built in.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If this is the same hard hack that Smite did a playthrough of, MMX Hardtype is pretty garbage. There's, like, one interesting change, and the rest is just making the levels require silly levels of precision.

I definitely wouldn't commit to doing an LP of any hardtype hack completely blind, even if I had extensive experience with the original game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm pretty sure that's what this was, though; completely (or possibly near-completely) blind and based upon knowledge of the base game.

That said, maybe try a few levels of MMX first. If TooMuchAbstraction is right and it's just Kaizo bullshit, then my vote changes to MM9.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm gonna go with MM9. I've played a bit of it and it's genuinely fun.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Commander Keene posted:

I'm pretty sure that's what this was, though; completely (or possibly near-completely) blind and based upon knowledge of the base game.

That said, maybe try a few levels of MMX first. If TooMuchAbstraction is right and it's just Kaizo bullshit, then my vote changes to MM9.

I'm with Keene, do MMX Hardtype and if it turns out that MMX Hardtype is trash do Mega Man 9 instead because Mega Man 9 is a legitimately great classic Mega Man game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So I actually had a thought about this and thanks very much to everyone for replying and giving suggestions.

I've never played Megaman 10 despite having played through 9 four or five times.

I'm going to run an LP of Megaman 9 and then do a blind run of 10 and compare them as I go along.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Sounds cool. I haven't played either yet, aside from one or two stages of MM9, so it should be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
So for those who haven't caught it, I'm running my new LP here:

Let's Play Megaman 9 & 10

I've even got a delicious vote going for the first few bosses you want us to face.

I'm submitting this one for archive, so thanks a lot for watching and hopefully you can follow me there.

Also Coolguy is doing a badass Dishonoured 2 LP so you should check that out as well.

• Locked thread