Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You know, I never thought about it but it is odd that a series known for fairly simple battle systems would jump into something so complicated.

Anyways, thanks Scintilla! This game holds a special place in my heart and you did a great job showing it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
There is absolutely no way I would have made it through the base game, let alone fought the superboss. Thanks for showing it off!

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011
Thank you for showing off the game Scintilla. I've always been meaning to look into the game since the premise was very interesting to me but haven't been able to until now. I gotta say that I'm glad I did.

Congratulations on reaching the end :toot:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 minutes!
Good job on everything, it was a fun read

quality superboss that is

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010
Thanks for showing this off, Scintilla! I've always been curious about the truth of this game and never had the chance to play it, so all this work is greatly appreciated.

Moskau
Feb 17, 2011

HEY GUYS DON'T YOU LOVE ANIME?! I LOVE ANIME SO MUCH ESPECIALLY ALL THE PANTY SHOTS AND FAN SERVICE AND MOE MOE MOE! I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH!
Thanks for doing a good let's play! I've hoped for someone to take a good swing at this and do it justice, not to laugh at the game but to show off its good and charming side, and I think you did a really good job of demonstrating why this game is - despite its faults - still a really good video game that deserved a better fate. :unsmith:

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
Wow, Dover is kind of an rear end in a top hat. Great job with the LP though; that was amazing watching you play through DQ. I couldn't get past the freezer section back when I played it as a kid, probably because I had no idea how to exploit Nina's traps at the time.

Incidentally, does anyone have any idea what Kokon-Horay is supposed to mean? It seems like more random jibberish, but considering the dragons have all had Russian names, I was wondering if it actually had any meaning associated with it. The closest I've been able to come is кокон - хоре, but 'cocoon chorus' doesn't really... make sense.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Is it possible to charge up enough to still kill Dover in that one hit before his defense goes up? I always wondered but never tried.

Anyway, when I first got this game I hated it. Then, after learning a bit of its systems I ended up loving it. Shame that Breath of Fire died after this. Thanks for bringing back some good memories at least.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 16, 2018

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Thanks for running this through for us, the game had kind of become an urban legend with all the oblique references people would make to it whenever Breath of Fire ever comes up. It's nice to know the game past the mystique now.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Great job on the LP! This was a really cool game!

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
I've owned this game for years because it always sounded like the really weird but good stuff I can get into, but never actually got around to playing. So, thanks for showing it off (and yes, I almost certainly would have loved it had I gotten around to playing it).

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Great work, Scintilla! You really gave this game a proper go through.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Awesome job on the LP, Scintilla. Maybe I should give BoF5 another shot.

(Hm. I wonder if it's possible to just D-Breath Dover with one massive breath attack that drains 95% of the D-Meter.)

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Fun fact: Dover is a mistranslation, his name should be Dva. Dva is Russian for Two.

Odjn is One, Dva is Two, Chetyre is Four.

I believe Dva becomes resistant to Dragon damage from the first tick.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 16, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Tallgeese posted:

Fun fact: Dover is a mistranlstaion, his name should be Dva. Dva is Russian for Two.

Odjn is One, Dva is Two, Chetyre is Four.

I believe Dva becomes resistant to Dragon damage from the first tick.

So who is Tri, or did the old world do the ol' misnumbered greased pig dragon trick?

Wysp
Oct 30, 2011
Many thanks for the LP Scintilla. Dragon Quarter was an interesting game.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks for the LP. I remember when Dragon Quarter came out, I was a baby nerdling who almost certainly wouldn't have had the patience or the skill to get the most out of a game like this. I'm glad I finally got to experience the story!

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you for the excellent LP!

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Yeah, thanks for playing through this. Was interesting to see all of it. I appreciate it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Did somebody say Dover?

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014

dont be mean to me posted:

So who is Tri, or did the old world do the ol' misnumbered greased pig dragon trick?

I'm willing to bet they were trying to be clever with the 2^n series. Odjn is 2^0, Dva is 2^1, Chetyre is 2^2. That's reflected in the D-ratios too, where they're all a fraction based on 1/(2^n).

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

It was a little touch and go there for a bit, but I'm glad you were able to bend Dover over your knee in the end.

This was a good LP Scintilla, thanks.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Snorb posted:

(Hm. I wonder if it's possible to just D-Breath Dover with one massive breath attack that drains 95% of the D-Meter.)

Unfortunately Dover is highly resistant to D-Breath. You can use up the whole gauge and only do 2000-ish damage.

Hypocrisy posted:

Is it possible to charge up enough to still kill Dover in that one hit before his defense goes up? I always wondered but never tried.

Charging up to maximum works better, but you still can't kill him in one. It's also a risky strategy since it uses up a lot of the D-Counter, which the player might not have much of by the time they reach the bottom floor.

GOI
Aug 26, 2015
Thanks for the LP.

Yeah I agree this game was great though a bit too much on the whole figure it out yourself side.

Also wow that optional boos really does show one of the things gets good that the dragons are broken powerful and should feel like it, The D construct(D ration 1/2) really is a case of here have fun, Though you can make it go a bit faster by abusing charge so that one hit in dragon form hits like a truck.

also good to see the few Sol I hadn't seen,

Honestly this is one of the games I think could really make do with a remake(remastered), some touch up on the graphics, touch up how the SoL scenes are unlocked and which are part of the main story, a update on the battle system and maybe a basic tutorial place for testing out combos and actual game stuff

Zero K
Feb 22, 2010
Charging affects breath, too. I forget how much you need, but D-Charge to max -> breath can kill him if you have enough D-counter.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Thanks for the great LP, Scintilla!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
So I was reading this at the start (think I even have a few posts early in the thread), fell waaaaay behind at one point, and only caught up over the last week or so, just in time for the ending.

First off: congrats on another well-done LP, Scintilla. You do a great job showing the games off and you picked a really interesting one this time, was a blast to read through and DQ does some remarkably interesting things.

A couple quick bits of trivia: at one point you start referring to him as Yezuit, but in the game he's Yeziut. I don't think this is a misspelling - Yeziut (more accurately transliterated Yetziut) is a Hebrew word that roughly means "leaving". The Exodus from Egypt in the Bible in the original is "Yetziat Mitzrayim" (Mitzrayim being Egypt), it's a slightly different conjugation there, but it doesn't seem far off that Exodus is a pretty good way to sum up Ryu's journey at the end. Elyon (with a long o sound) is another Hebrew word, which approximately translates to "Highest", and is one of the terms used to refer to God in Judaism. Again, a very appropriate name!

The other Regents don't appear to follow this pattern, although Mebeth could be an odd way of spelling Mavet (or Maveth), which means "Death". I don't know if that one's intended, and it doesn't feel particularly meaningful if so.

Anyway, thought I'd share. Once again, well done, Scintilla, and do let us know if you're planning another LP any time soon! :golfclap:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, this was a quality explore of a game I've always been a little interested in. It's neat to see how it all fits together.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for taking on such a challenging LP. This game has always had a special place in my mind and I'm glad to see it done justice.

It really is too bad that it basically killed the series. I can't help but feel if this game could have been successful if it could just have found its audience -- but the game community and social media being what it was in 2002, there was little hope for that after the BoF fanbase reacted so negatively to the changes.

Xandor TikRoth
Mar 10, 2012

I can definitely help with that
Excellent LP Scintilla! I picked this game up years and years ago but couldn't get through more than the first hour. The time limit really pissed me off so I never picked it up again. It was good to see it in its entirety!

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Thanks for all the comments. I'm on holiday in Portugal at the moment with rather crappy wifi, but once I get back I'll drop Baldurk a line and have the thread added to the archive.

I have a few ideas for what I'll LP next. The frontrunner is probably Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled, a game for the Nintendo DS that's basically a love letter to everyone's favorite SNES jRPGs. It has some pretty significant flaws, but it's interesting enough to be shown off - a bit like Dragon Quarter and Galerians. I don't have a lot of free time anymore, so it might be a while before I actually post it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Scintilla posted:

The frontrunner is probably Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled, a game for the Nintendo DS that's basically a love letter to everyone's favorite SNES jRPGs. It has some pretty significant flaws, but it's interesting enough to be shown off - a bit like Dragon Quarter and Galerians.

do this plz
thank you

• Locked thread